April 26, 2024, 02:23:12 PM

Author Topic: Daughter of Sikhs on track to be governor  (Read 14561 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Daughter of Sikhs on track to be governor
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
So yuh feel he din come up with Bobby out of convenience?

What type of "convenience" we talking about though? Assuming he's being honest about adopting the name "as a child"... one could arguably ascribe only honest intentions behind it.

He was probably gehhin stick in class fuh having the name Piyush to begin with ... I believe he was honest about adopting the name as a kid; just doh think that's the whole story.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 05:24:57 PM »
Plus the added benefit of having a more American name. Not sure about mrs haley stories though.
she married Mr Haley
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »
What allyuh think about this fella?

http://www.theroot.com/views/alvin-greene-and-strange-politics-south-carolina

Niceness

Niceness?  Not at all.

i see starboy in a couple intervews....I really really hadda aks WDMC??

come to think of it where he even get de $$ to register for the senate race
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 09:15:01 AM »
money and campaign (he did none, obviously done and he did not even know it was being done) most prob done by the republicans.  lol

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 05:09:11 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ntlp4fTell4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ntlp4fTell4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »
Haley faces flak over “white” listing

Democrats have accused South Carolina's Indian-American Governor Nikki Haley of listing her race as “white” in her voter registration form in 2001 and playing on it for political convenience.

Ms. Haley created history this year when she was sworn in as the first woman Governor of South Carolina.

The 39-year-old Ms. Haley is also the first Indian-American woman Governor and, after Bobby Jindal from Louisiana, is only the second from the community to occupy this post.

The local Post and Courier newspapers reported that the State Democratic Party, which obtained the public record in this regard, is asking whether her inconsistency on the card made her ineligible to vote under a new law.

State Democratic Party chairman Dick Harpootlian said whether Ms. Haley listed her race as white or not did not really matter to him but the issue was that the Governor had shown a pattern of such actions. “Haley has been appearing on television interviews where she calls herself a minority — when it suits her,” Mr. Harpootlian was quoted as saying.

“When she registers to vote she says she is white. She has developed a pattern of saying whatever is beneficial to her at the moment,” he said. “She can't even tell the truth about her racial heritage.” There was no immediate response from Ms. Haley's office.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article2306099.ece

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 02:23:49 PM »
But they aren't really achieving anything if they have to change their name religion in order to be successful...They are not really changing mindsets or perceptions if you ask me..!!! Barack Hussein Obama won the election..PPl accepted him in his entirety...what are ppl accepting when someone's name is safe as Nikki Haley? That name whiter than Paris Hilton..!!! She didn't win the election, her name did..!!!

This is my beef !! thank yuh ! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
agreed,only people of indian decent,particularly the black ones does be vex they born so,fuss thing they does do in usa is grab the accent fast fast and change they name to michael or richard.they does jealous the fair skin too.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 02:27:15 PM »
Haley faces flak over “white” listing

Democrats have accused South Carolina's Indian-American Governor Nikki Haley of listing her race as “white” in her voter registration form in 2001 and playing on it for political convenience.

Ms. Haley created history this year when she was sworn in as the first woman Governor of South Carolina.

The 39-year-old Ms. Haley is also the first Indian-American woman Governor and, after Bobby Jindal from Louisiana, is only the second from the community to occupy this post.

The local Post and Courier newspapers reported that the State Democratic Party, which obtained the public record in this regard, is asking whether her inconsistency on the card made her ineligible to vote under a new law.

State Democratic Party chairman Dick Harpootlian said whether Ms. Haley listed her race as white or not did not really matter to him but the issue was that the Governor had shown a pattern of such actions. “Haley has been appearing on television interviews where she calls herself a minority — when it suits her,” Mr. Harpootlian was quoted as saying.

“When she registers to vote she says she is white. She has developed a pattern of saying whatever is beneficial to her at the moment,” he said. “She can't even tell the truth about her racial heritage.” There was no immediate response from Ms. Haley's office.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article2306099.ece

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
But they aren't really achieving anything if they have to change their name religion in order to be successful...They are not really changing mindsets or perceptions if you ask me..!!! Barack Hussein Obama won the election..PPl accepted him in his entirety...what are ppl accepting when someone's name is safe as Nikki Haley? That name whiter than Paris Hilton..!!! She didn't win the election, her name did..!!!

This is my beef !! thank yuh ! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
agreed,only people of indian decent,particularly the black ones does be vex they born so,fuss thing they does do in usa is grab the accent fast fast and change they name to michael or richard.they does jealous the fair skin too.
Let me give my anecdotal account of this fair skin thing.

I remember in school there was a fella who wouldn't play football with us because of 'the sun' he thought he was too dark already.

I have a partner living Couva, real cool fella eh he invited me and some classmates to his home for Divali a time. On the same evening a conversation about a girl came up. I remember him saying that she was a real good girl, good looking too , the only thing is she dark :) (incidentally she was Indian)

This semester one of my lecturers is Indian(nationality).Brilliant guy and very entertaining. He lived in T&T for about 2 years and now visits to conduct classes. In class one day he was conveying the story of date he had with a trini girl in which part of his preparation for the date included very long shower so he would look fair.

There's a girl in my office who visits my desk everyday to 'smalltalk'. One day another girl returned to work from her vacation and she complimented her saying that New York did her skin well and she was looking fair and nice.

I will go out on a limb and say that light skin is a very desirable trait in Indian culture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4396122.stm

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 04:41:13 PM »
next thing they does forget where they come from,ah gone to buy ah roti on liberty ave,de gyul in front ah me,one black dry thin foot lil indian big shades on she face,lookin like ah cockroach askin fuh the roti with de gold dust.is to see them eatin it with knife and fork.ah really cyar complain nah,because ah meh color ah f**k nuff ah them
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
allyuh rell racist and hypocritical yes.

like some black people doh do the same thing...hiding in shade cuz dem scared of getting "black up" in de sun....
wearing weave and extensions to look like they have straight hair (coming all de way from india)..chris rock do ah whole documentary on it called good hair...

barack heself a light skin, along wit halle berry, beyonce and a lot of all "black" celebs in the US.... and doh start me on vybz kartel.

...light skin is desirable in ALL races

ms haley is a joke, but bobby jindal calling heself bobby is no scene.  its because the whites can't pronounce the name.  ask all dem chinese who change their name too.

soon enough all ah we will look the same in a few generations....then maybe people can get over the race thing.
whey boy!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »

like some black people doh do the same thing...hiding in shade cuz dem scared of getting "black up" in de sun....
wearing weave and extensions to look like they have straight hair (coming all de way from india)..chris rock do ah whole documentary on it called good hair...

barack heself a light skin, along wit halle berry, beyonce and a lot of all "black" celebs in the US.... and doh start me on vybz kartel.

ms haley is a joke, but bobby jindal calling heself bobby is no scene.  its because the whites can't pronounce the name.  ask all dem chinese who change their name too.

soon enough all ah we will look the same in a few generations....then maybe people can get over the race thing.

If you're directing this comment at me I think you're mistaken.  I was articulating my observation. I notice you didn't invalidate my point either.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »

Do black women wear weaves "to look like they have straight hair"?  Look I never know dat was de reason.  Ah di'n even get that from Chris Rock documentary.  You watch de Canadian "asylum seekers" version or what?

Second... what does Barack, Halle and Beyonce being light skin have to do with anything?  How that mean light skin is "desirable"?

Like when people mash allyuh corn allyuh brain does shut dong.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »

dis sweet  ;D ;D ;D :D ;D 8).................
I pity the fool....

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 12:13:43 AM »
hmm..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
Some people desire dark skin. Some desire light skin.

If you like yourself looking black or light dat is your business.

However, as an Indian I does shake meh head when I see other Indians talking about dark Indians in a derogatory manner.

But say what - I meet some Kenyans the other day laughing at Nigerians and Gambians because they so dark that if they walk next to you at night, you cah see dem unless dey smile.

It was the first time I see black people laughing at how black ppl  black.

They weren't trying to be rude. It's just that them ppl so black you cah see dem at night if they next to you.

Ahh well, I brown and I like it just so  ;D
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »

Do black women wear weaves "to look like they have straight hair"?  Look I never know dat was de reason.  Ah di'n even get that from Chris Rock documentary.  You watch de Canadian "asylum seekers" version or what?

Second... what does Barack, Halle and Beyonce being light skin have to do with anything?  How that mean light skin is "desirable"?

do you know what proud ethnicity is before yuh talk about mashing people corn ???

who is the allyuh you are referring to?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:35:31 PM by Controversial »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
do you know what proud ethnicity is before yuh talk about mashing people corn ???

You is ProudTrinbagonian jockstrap or he right balls... how yuh drinking med'sin fuh he cough so?  What the f**k is "proud ethnicity"?  Go ask yuh mother who "allyuh" refers to, she probably still wiping yuh ass fuh yuh, just as she was doing in Germany five years ago.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
My daughter back from India .. she say skin whitening creams are popular.  Went she returned to her host home after a 25 day tour of southern India, she was a few shades darker than before she left.  Her host mom said something to the effect she looked like a "Negro".  She used that has an opportunity to educate her mom about "negroes".

Here is a 2008 link I found

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/skinwhitening-adverts-ignite-race-row-in-india-863936.html

A scene from the Indian TV advertisement mini-series that promotes the skin cream, White Beauty
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »

You is ProudTrinbagonian jockstrap or he right balls... how yuh drinking med'sin fuh he cough so?  What the f**k is "proud ethnicity"?  Go ask yuh mother who "allyuh" refers to, she probably still wiping yuh ass fuh yuh, just as she was doing in Germany five years ago.

getting defensive :D you almost sound like truetrini, evasive action is your strong suit, answer the question, better yet ask him his mix before you spew nonsense

you have a terrible attention span, you think trying to attack me personally with lies will make you sound more intelligent or boost your inflated ego?  ??? thats the fallacy with insecure individuals like yourself

when you can't answer a question, you resort to cussing and ignorant remarks to cover up how incapable you really are in discussing a topic
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:08:24 PM by Controversial »

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »
If you're directing this comment at me I think you're mistaken.  I was articulating my observation. I notice you didn't invalidate my point either.

i didn't invalidate your point, and you didn't invalidate mine either.  If you took offense, nm it.  If I was mistaken, i was mistaken..that would be the best case scenario, however can't say the same for a lot of the others

If black women don't wear weaves, extensions and use relaxers for that reason, then why?  No disrespect but kindly give the reason...I have no problem being wrong but give your opinion

I guess Barack, Halle and Beyonce not desirable?  steups, they all light skin and are viewed more desirable.
it's a discussion forum..so discuss nuh

when you talking about mashing people corn, you should know the people you talking about.
otherwise, empty vessels just making the most noise

and finally, yuh spend yuh whole weekend online every 2 mins it seems.  get out and do something and take it easy!
whey boy!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »

de whiter de skin, de bigger de smile

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »
If black women don't wear weaves, extensions and use relaxers for that reason, then why?  No disrespect but kindly give the reason...I have no problem being wrong but give your opinion

Yuh know any black women?  Why yuh don't ask them why they does straighten they hair instead ah coming online and talking shit about them wanting to "look like they have straight hair"?  Didn't it occur to you that for some it makes their hair more manageable?  Same reason why they wear braided extensions?

I guess Barack, Halle and Beyonce not desirable?  steups, they all light skin and are viewed more desirable.

"viewed more desirable" by who, the likes of you?  Which poll yuh conduct to arrive at that conclusion?

when you talking about mashing people corn, you should know the people you talking about.

You must be talking about yuhself with that empty vessel talk, because ever since yuh first post in here is only empty noise yuh making.  I "know" people by the shit they post online, and your post was defensive, like somebody mash yuh corn so doh get mad because I stating de obvious.

and finally, yuh spend yuh whole weekend online every 2 mins it seems.  get out and do something and take it easy!

Doh worry yuhself with my life fella... my life couldn't be better, worry about your own and how yuh could avoid making dotish presumptuous statements online.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »

i didn't invalidate your point, and you didn't invalidate mine either.  If you took offense, nm it.  If I was mistaken, i was mistaken..that would be the best case scenario, however can't say the same for a lot of the others

You don't know much about women do you, or you setting bait?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2011, 10:51:23 PM »

I don't get what you're saying here exactly.

I noticed you referred to 'desirability' in your post that began with  condemning racists and hypocrites. I just wanted to let you know I didn't have any malicious or mischievous intent but I was pointing to multiple cases in my experience that led me to conclude that Indian culture generally glorifies lighter skin.

It came as a bit of a shock to me when I first experienced it when I was doing my first degree and most of my classmates were of east indian descent. Maybe I was too naive at the time but I remember this fella ,he used to try to fit in and be friendly with everybody ,he was  as cool as you could be when you socially awkward. One day one of he partners telling him tongue in cheek that he is a girlsman he responded by saying he could never be a girlsman because he too black. They laughed , I didn't. I wasn't offended or anything seeing that I was the only black person around. I had never heard a black person decry their own skin colour no matter how dark they were. It was an insight into the culture that was as good as reading from a text . Numerous other conversations and observations confirmed this to me.

There is a fixation on colour that while not entirely unique is definitely pervasive in Indian culture.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 06:17:53 AM »
what really ironic here is that the weaves that black women use are from Indian people hair.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 07:44:04 AM »
If it ain't white, it ain't right   :devil:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>