April 25, 2024, 08:38:38 AM

Author Topic: World Cup 2010: Under Dunga, Brazil trades style for substance  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World Cup 2010: Under Dunga, Brazil trades style for substance

By Juan Forero
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 10, 2010
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/09/AR2010060902962.html

Brazil is there, as in every World Cup, a five-time champion that is the perennial favorite to win it all. But when the Selecao takes the field for its first match in South Africa against North Korea on June 15, the team won't be the Brazil of Pele, which played "the beautiful game," or the Brazil of the 1982 World Cup, which was so gifted that its attack was compared to poetry in motion.

Gone is the razzle and dazzle.

What Brazil brings to the world stage this time is pragmatism, workmanlike teamwork, hustle. Ronaldinho, a temperamental star who at his best is perhaps the best in the world, did not make the cut. Instead, Carlos Caetano Bledorn Verri, the head coach better known as Dunga, has built a team on defense. Goalkeeper Julio Cesar, who excelled at Inter Milan, is the anchor, and among six sterling defensive midfielders will be tough enforcers such as Lucio and Maicon.

It is not pretty, say irked fans in Brazil, who place nearly as much importance on style as winning. But the new team's mantra is do anything it takes to bring home the World Cup title, and few doubt that Dunga's squad will, at the very least, make the semifinals.

"We have stars here, but they must play together on the field because that is the most important thing," Dunga told reporters in late May. "We have to play as a team or we will not progress."

So far, that formula -- preparation, teamwork, caution -- has helped make Brazil a team to fear in South Africa. Under Dunga, Brazil won the Confederations Cup in South Africa last June and the  Copa America in 2007. In World Cup qualifying matches, the Brazilians conceded only a handful of goals and throttled opponents, including another power, Argentina.

For years, Brazil fielded teams of spectacular strikers, from Pele to Ronaldinho to Ronaldo, who has scored more World Cup goals than any other player. They were the stars who embodied the traditional Brazilian way of playing soccer: fast-flowing, offensive-minded, full of trickery, creativity and almost dancelike ball movements. It is a style that, in essence, reflects the soul of the South American giant.

But in the 2006 World Cup in Germany, Ronaldo was criticized for showing up overweight and Ronaldinho failed to ignite the team. France unceremoniously dumped Brazil in the quarterfinals, triggering recriminations as the nation began a collective soul-searching.

Enter Dunga, 46, who brings a decidedly militaristic approach to coaching.

As a player, he learned from the disciplined, defensive-minded German and Italian schools of soccer. On the Selecao, he patrolled the middle of the pitch as a defensive midfielder in the 1990s. In 1994, he was captain of the squad that won the World Cup in the United States. He wears a drill sergeant's crew cut and says little to reporters.

Once he was named coach, one of the first things he did was ban reporters and fans from practices. And then he got down to work, announcing that no one player was bigger than the famous yellow shirt that represents the country.

He got rid of Ronaldinho and also cut Adriano, another superstar. That does not mean the team does not possess some magic. Dunga kept an explosive striker in Robinho, a washout at Manchester City who now plays for Santos back in Brazil. The playmaker is the creative Kaka, who plays for Real Madrid in Spain's La Liga and is known for his work ethic.

But the heart of the team -- and the emphasis -- is on defense. It means smothering offensive-minded teams, leaving them exhausted while controlling the ball and looking for the swift counterattack. The back line that Dunga has put together is perhaps the best in the game.

"These players are winners," Dunga told reporters in Sao Paulo last month. "There is no doubt that they are prepared to help Brazil reach its goal.

Kaka, who is 28 and played in the World Cup four years ago, told London's Observer newspaper that he and the other players believe in Dunga's approach.

"Dunga captained Brazil in two World Cups and was always one of those players who loved playing for his country," he said. "He has always stressed an idea of equality in the group and that was important for confidence. The results are there."

Lucio, captain of the team, recently had this to say about his coach's philosophy: "To those who complain about style, I just say nothing is more beautiful than winning."

Alex Bellos, author of  "Futebol: The Brazilian Way," a book about Brazil's love affair with the sport, said the team of today is, in a way, a metaphor for modern Brazil, economically vibrant, efficient, an increasingly influential and serious player on the world stage.

"They're sort of tough and swarthy and sensible and reliable," Bellos said by phone from England.

The oddsmakers have the Selecao playing for the championship against Spain, which in this World Cup is the team known for heady stars and creative play. Bellos, though, said that even this Brazilian team will delight fans.

"They are the favorites because you cannot beat them," he said. "They may not be that fancy. But even the most donkey-like Brazilian is a ballerina compared to players in most countries."

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2010: Under Dunga, Brazil trades style for substance
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
I wish we in trini would open we eyes to d concept of ah work man like team dat does d basics and does, we rather lose 4-0 and hold on to d memory of ah spanner..... steups  I rather win ugly dan lose pretty, but den dais jus me
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:26:31 PM »

And dais why I eh like them as much as I used too.....

GO ORANJE!!!!!   
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »

And dais why I eh like them as much as I used too.....

GO ORANJE!!!!!   

We had real style im 82 and suck salt so give me substance
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 06:35:21 AM »
Testament that Brazil is the World Cup showcase....Where are all the articles about other teams approach to style, substance etc...

Only Brazil is scrutinized like this....

Style or no style they will always be the most watched team in the cup...and if they win, the victory will be no less sweet for the fans..
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:42:17 AM »
Testament that Brazil is the World Cup showcase....Where are all the articles about other teams approach to style, substance etc...

Only Brazil is scrutinized like this....

Style or no style they will always be the most watched team in the cup...and if they win, the victory will be no less sweet for the fans..

ENT u feel I care dat in 94 we win bcause Baggio was wukin NASA. A WIN IZ A WIN.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Winning with style is MUCH sweeter. Such a team will be romanticized and remembered throughout history. That's why people to this day remember the 82 team, despite not winning anything.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Winning with style is MUCH sweeter. Such a team will be romanticized and remembered throughout history. That's why people to this day remember the 82 team, despite not winning anything.

We remember them arright, but the memories (trust me) are painful. (any ONE of Serginho's terrible misses in the group stages would have seen them past italy)..........but it is not possible for Brazil to play football the way they used to back in the 70's and 80's be cause the game has changed.  From the phisicality of it to the tactical, and the final against italy in '94 is a typical example of how teams play against Brazil any more.  They sit back, compact the midfield, and clog up the channels while refraining from playing an open game themselves, while grabbing, holding and fouling as often as they can get away with in order to break up Brazil's play.. Maybe Argentina or even portugal a couple of the very few teams that would be willing to play an open, attacking game against them, but not too many other teams will. In light of that, I just want them to win the damned trophy and keep any other team from trying to brag about any legacy....especially italy.  They are one title away from equaling Brazil's haul but they don't deserve to be there.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »

We remember them arright, but the memories (trust me) are painful. (any ONE of Serginho's terrible misses in the group stages would have seen them past italy)..........but it is not possible for Brazil to play football the way they used to back in the 70's and 80's be cause the game has changed.  From the phisicality of it to the tactical, and the final against italy in '94 is a typical example of how teams play against Brazil any more.  They sit back, compact the midfield, and clog up the channels while refraining from playing an open game themselves, while grabbing, holding and fouling as often as they can get away with in order to break up Brazil's play.. Maybe Argentina or even portugal a couple of the very few teams that would be willing to play an open, attacking game against them, but not too many other teams will. In light of that, I just want them to win the damned trophy and keep any other team from trying to brag about any legacy....especially italy.  They are one title away from equaling Brazil's haul but they don't deserve to be there.

Nah man, Brazil could still play the pretty football if they want, and with success. Barca showed it could still be done. And Brazil will always be better than Barca!
But I'll admit it would be harder to win like this. I'd really like to see Brazil try to mesh prettiness and winning, because they are the only team that can CONSISTENTLY do it on an international level.
But for now, I guess winning takes precedence, and it certainly not going to change under Dunga's watch.

Ketch footballitis

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 10:04:51 AM »

yeah yuh right but i sure zico and company will give those memories up for ah world cup title....style is for friendlies or when yuh up 4-0 with 10 minutes left otherwise winning trumps style any day.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
As it is...i accept the fact that Dunga being pragmatic. As much as i would love to see some sweet knocks and ting.....it eh happening dis world cup. That style has won him every tournament he has coached...plus qualifying first in Conembol.

That being said...he better win. Dat style of play will only be accepted when results showing that it paying off. But....if dey doh win world cup.......den....he go hadda get treat like Manning.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
As it is...i accept the fact that Dunga being pragmatic. As much as i would love to see some sweet knocks and ting.....it eh happening dis world cup.That style has won him every tournament he has coached...plus qualifying first in Conembol.

That being said...he better win. Dat style of play will only be accepted when results showing that it paying off. But....if dey doh win world cup.......den....he go hadda get treat like Manning.

Doh worry, it will be on display. There will be flourishes. Robinho doh play dat ;).

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »
As it is...i accept the fact that Dunga being pragmatic. As much as i would love to see some sweet knocks and ting.....it eh happening dis world cup.That style has won him every tournament he has coached...plus qualifying first in Conembol.

Doh worry, it will be on display. There will be flourishes. Robinho doh play dat ;).

I agree!! However poorly he seems to play or whatever criticisms he may draw upon himself at club level, Robinho is a completely different animal when he wearing the yellow and blue! (or blue and white! ;))

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>