March 29, 2024, 08:39:14 AM

Author Topic: ‘Chee Mooke’ dies at 74  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Chee Mooke’ dies at 74
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »
‘Chee Mooke’ dies at 74
By Rhonda Krystal & Michelle Loubon (T&T Guardian)

Famous for hot cross buns, popular bakery owner Leon Phillips, of Chee Mooke’s Bakery, Independence Square, Port-of-Spain, died on Wednesday. After a battle with prostate cancer, Phillips, 74, succumbed to a malignant brain tumour at the Living Water Community Centre, Port-of-Spain. He leaves to mourn his wife Joan, his children Leona, Nathalie, Stokely and Simone and his four grandchildren. Phillips, was fondly known as “Chee Mooke” and “DJ Baking Powder.” He got these sobriquets after spending 41 years in the bakery and DJ businesses.

In a telephone interview yesterday, Nathalie Phillips said: “Daddy lived 74 nice, long years. He lived nice with people. He was loved and admired by all who knew him. My dad lived a full life. He was a good guy.” Even during his sickness, his legions of customers and well-wishers visited him. “Whether he was in a private nursing home or public hospital, there was always a flow of visitors. People even came from abroad to see him,”added Nathalie. Last year, she said he indicated he wanted to resign in May. “He also got a stroke last year and he never recovered. He became disoriented and told us he wanted to resign in May. Now he has left us for good.”

Nathalie and her siblings have been operating the family business. Most people thought “Chee Mooke” was a Trini with Chinese ancestry but he was mixed. In his childhood, he attended Nelson Street Boys’ RC, St Mary’s College and the University of British Columbia, USA. Recently, Nelson Street Boys’ had indicated their intention to honour the community stalwart. Nathalie said his alma mater wanted to honour him for his long-standing service to the school. She also said a community group from South East Port-of-Spain wanted to name a senior citizens’ centre after her late father. “All that happened before he died,” she said.

She said it was good to know Phillips was recognised for his humanitarianism and the “positive impact he had on the lives of many. “He did good things for people and helped customers’ children pursue an education when they couldn’t afford to do so for themselves,” she added. She said he was never motivated by selfish needs but the genuine welfare of others. “My father did things without expecting anything in return,” she said. Apart from his bakery, Phillips’other passions were education and sports. “He had a love for music and a massive collection of records. He had a wealth of knowledge in science and maths,” she said. His funeral service is expected to take place on Monday at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Port-of-Spain, (a stone’s throw from Chee Mooke’s Bakery).

About Chee Mooke’s Bakery

The bakery, formerly known as Columbus Bakery was renamed when his mother remarried Boysie Chee Mooke. In 1955, there was a battle over ownership and although Chee Mooke had changed the name of the bakery, ownership went to the Phillip’s family. The bakery’s origins date back to 1931 when Phillip’s father bought it for the then princely sum of $800
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Chee Mooke’ dies at 74
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »
wait i stupid or is it a mistake when they say he attended the University of british columbia, USA? The only Uni of BC i know is Canada
Back in Trini...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »
wait i stupid or is it a mistake when they say he attended the University of british columbia, USA? The only Uni of BC i know is Canada
TnT reporters ::)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »

I will go wit dat they make a mistake since dat is dey Modus Operandi.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:58:50 PM »
gorm boy..ah coulda be sure ah eatin fresh bread daily..

1]; } ?>