March 28, 2024, 06:52:51 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 3 - Group B: Argentina vs Nigeria  (Read 9227 times)

truetrini

Fifa slams ref over Argentine goal
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »
Fifa slams ref over Argentine goal
Posted: 2010-06-15 17:03

The referee in the Argentina versus Super Eagles match on Saturday has been severely criticized by Fifa’s referee’s committee for allowing the South Americans’ goal.

The Fifa referee's committee criticised Wolfgang Stark’s decision not to give a foul for Walter Samuel’s obstruction in the build-up to the goal.

Argentina missed several gilt-edged chances on their way to a 1-0 victory on Saturday; however, according to Fifa the one attack that did finish with the net bulging should have been disallowed by referee Wolfgang Stark.

Ole reports that a Fifa post-match analysis ruled that there was a foul in the build-up to Gabriel Heinze’s stunning header, and that Stark should never have allowed the goal.

The Fifa referees’ committee released their findings on Tuesday, as a guide for future judgments in this year’s tournament. And among other rulings, they made it clear to referees that they must watch for infractions at corners and free-kicks - specifically attacking players blocking markers, as happened on Saturday.

As Juan Sebastian Veron’s cross floated over Walter, Samuel enveloped Chinedu Obasi and stopped him from moving, thereby giving Heinze all the space he needed to propel the ball home.

Stark should have therefore penalised Samuel for obstruction and awarded a free-kick to the Super Eagles - a judgment that could have changed the course of the whole game for Argentina.

Although the ruling comes too late for Nigeria, it has interesting implications for the rest of the tournament; a sign that Fifa will not tolerate the pushing, shoving and holding commonplace on both sides at dead-ball situations, and that in future such offences will be punished with either disallowed goals or penalties in the case of the defence committing an infraction.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/16122/fifa-slams-ref-over-argentine-goal.php

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Fifa slams ref over Argentine goal
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »
look I didn' even see all dat play off :(
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
look I didn' even see all dat play off :(

Discussed it on the match thread. FIFA is spot on!

Either ref didn't notice it (but assistants should have) or ref interpreted it as not interfering with play. He may have concluded it did not?

A lot of factors could have conspired to let the goal stand .... that latter perception and the spectacular nature of the finish among them. Had Heinze been static at the PK spot it may not have stood, but ref seems to have  dissociated Heinze's run from Samuel's holding, whereas from the video there's no doubt in my mind Samuel knew what he was doing ... not that knowing matters.

Other thing is I don't recall any protest from Obasi or the NIG bench. I can see how other players may have missed it because they were all behind the ball.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:44:23 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »
This is a joke... Obasi wasn't even trying hard to shake free... no complaints as mentioned above from any Nigerian player or coach... but FIFA decide tuh make noise on it's own.  Proper to point out that an infraction should have been called.

The real story though are the other controversial calls/non-calls, such as by the Argentinian ref in Ghana's win over Serbia... among others.  Not a peep.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2010, 02:25:55 AM »
Fifa shoulda do dat since crouch climbed up on sancho's shoulders in 06. too late too late shall be the cry!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2010, 03:45:54 AM »
I wonder if they going to slam the refs that din't give cronaldo any warnings for his theatrics.......

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2010, 06:27:10 AM »
Fifa shoulda do dat since crouch climbed up on sancho's shoulders in 06. too late too late shall be the cry!

Ent!

The amount of shit calls we see from refs already, that is what they come up with
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2010, 06:33:15 AM »
Too late. But honestly who played the better football and deserved to win?????????

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2010, 08:04:17 AM »
Too late. But honestly who played the better football and deserved to win?????????

Not an acceptable benchmark :devil:

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2010, 04:53:24 PM »
Maybe that's why the ref call a foul on the US goal today. He must was scared FIFA might have slammed him. With all the pushing in the box for set pieces, it's hard for an official to see everything, especially with several bodies in the area. Still bad call by the ref today so maybe they may give him a tongue lashing for calling the foul :P

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 3 - Group B: Argentina vs Nigeria
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:39 PM »
Any FIFA update on Luis Fabiano's second goal  :devil:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »

Keep liking youself big man. You entitled to your Maradona wet dreams same way some of we who see Pele et al play have we own.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2010, 06:10:52 AM »

Keep liking youself big man. You entitled to your Maradona wet dreams same way some of we who see Pele et al play have we own.

So is is that FIFA missed that one ? It was done twice on the same play ....  and now referees have all kinda headphones and ting .....

Maradona has laughed off the incident with Fabiano...asking why the referee was smiling if he saw nothing ......
in 2 months all will be forgotten .......

1]; } ?>