April 29, 2024, 12:08:50 AM

Author Topic: Teacher fired for premarital sex  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Teacher fired for premarital sex
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »
Teacher fired for premarital sex
By Mike Celizic
TODAYshow.com contributor
updated 12:01 p.m. ET, Mon., June 14, 2010

The couple sat close together with her right hand clasped in his left hand and her left arm cradling the 8-month-old daughter whose conception cost the woman her job.

The couple’s sin, according to her former employer, Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, Fla., is fornication — having sex before they got married.

Jarretta Hamilton and her husband of 16 months, Samuel Treftz, told TODAY’s Ann Curry Monday that the termination violated federal anti-discrimination laws. In addition, they allege in a pending lawsuit, the school’s principal, Jon Ennis, invaded Hamilton’s privacy by telling other teachers and the parents of her students the exact reason she was fired.

“When they let me go, they told the entire staff in a staff meeting that I had been fired and the reason why they let me go. And then they called all of my parents to my fourth-grade students and told them as well,” Hamilton said.

Ennis declined to appear on TODAY, citing a lawsuit filed by Hamilton against the school. But in a prerecorded report filed by NBC News’ Mike Taibbi, Ennis was asked if he stood by the firing. “Yes, absolutely,” he replied.

‘Didn’t know it would cost me my job’
Hamilton said her problems are all the result of her being honest. A widow with five children from her first marriage, she had gotten work as a teacher at Southland Christian School in January 2008. Meanwhile, she also met Treftz, and they planned a Feb. 20, 2009, wedding.

Three weeks before the wedding, she conceived her daughter, Sarah.

In April 2009, Hamilton and Treftz went together to Ennis and told him she would be taking maternity leave in the fall. She says Ennis first complained that it was difficult for the school to cover women on maternity leave.

“I was only requesting a standard six weeks maternity leave, and as the conversation progressed, he said, ‘I’m just trying to do the math here. When did you get married?’ ” Hamilton told Curry.

“I said Feb. 20,” she continued. “He said, ‘Well, did you conceive prior to marriage?’ I answered and I told him, ‘Yes.’ ”

Hamilton said she answered partly because she was so surprised by the very personal question.

“I was absolutely shocked. It came out of nowhere. I was honest about it. I didn’t know it would cost me my job,” she said.

Fired for ‘fornication’
A week later, she was notified that she was terminated. In a letter sent to her attorney, Edward Gay, last July, the school’s administrator, Julie Ennis, wrote:

“Jarretta was asked not to return because of a moral issue that was disregarded, namely fornication, sex outside of marriage. The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school.”

That’s a long way from saying teachers are prohibited from having premarital sex, the couple argue.

“If there was a contract in place that had a specific morality clause, I think that would make a difference,” Treftz said.

Hamilton agreed, adding, “At least people would know what they’re getting into. I didn’t know that they were going to judge so harshly; that this was the way they felt about premarital sex. I wasn’t clear what their stance was on certain issues.”

Gay, who joined the couple for the TODAY interview, said that pastors and clergy have the right to make moral decisions regarding church personnel, but this case is different because Hamilton was a teacher.

“The courts have consistently ruled that a private school is just like any other employer. As long as there’s more than 50 employees, they are governed by the law regarding discrimination,” Gay said. “The teachers are serving a secular purpose, and therefore they are governed by federal laws of discrimination.”

In the letter explaining the termination to Gay, Julie Ennis ended by asking Hamilton to give up the lawsuit.

“We request that Jarretta withdraw her complaint and consider the testimony of the Lord,” the letter concludes.

© 2010 MSNBC Interactive.  Reprints
URL: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37683770/ns/today-today_people/?GT1=43001
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
Re: Teacher fired for premarital sex
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
sanctimonious crap.
They say the Lord also advises that he without sin caste the first stone. I wonder what would be revealed if you check the history of those holier than even the Lord art?

At least with Catholics she would have got transferred... :devil:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »
 >:( >:( Pentecostals.... sigh................I have only met one or two that didn't act like a superior prick............wish they would temper that distasteful attitude..................another ting dat made me not like manning's govt, he started stackin his deck with those types
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
>:( >:( Pentecostals.... sigh................I have only met one or two that didn't act like a superior prick............wish they would temper that distasteful attitude..................another ting dat made me not like manning's govt, he started stackin his deck with those types

Well I am 1 of those Pentecostal type. She knew d rules when she take d people wuk. Evrybody have rights except Pentecostals and who in Manning govt say d cabinet was Pentecostals except Dick-Forde.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »

Hey I was raised pentecostal and would like to think I didn't act like a superior prick.  But then again it has been a while since I was a practicing .......
next time tell them the baby was born early..

The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school.”

So obviously forgiveness/repentance is not valued at this institution

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »

Hey I was raised pentecostal and would like to think I didn't act like a superior prick.  But then again it has been a while since I was a practicing .......

The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school.”

Apperently not
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »

She was forgiven. She wasn't pelted with stone

:devil:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »

Well I am 1 of those Pentecostal type. She knew d rules when she take d people wuk. Evrybody have rights except Pentecostals and who in Manning govt say d cabinet was Pentecostals except Dick-Forde.

jesus many virtues , "if d stories are to be believed"was humility, forgiveness and tolerance, even in d face of sin, so what of repentance den, for people that follow the teachings of jesus in particular, some of these very virtues seem lost to some ah you'll jus sayin'
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »

jesus many virtues , "if d stories are to be believed"was humility, forgiveness and tolerance, even in d face of sin, so what of repentance den, for people that follow the teachings of jesus in particular, some of these very virtues seem lost to some ah you'll jus sayin'

D Bible talk bout renderin 2 Cesar so if d people rule say NO FORNICATION THEN NO FORNICATION. If yuh doh like dey stand then go wuk 4 somebody else. Repentance assuming dat she repent is between she and God dem have dey school 2 run accordin 2 their PENTECOSTAL VALUES.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »

D Bible talk bout renderin 2 Cesar so if d people rule say NO FORNICATION THEN NO FORNICATION. If yuh doh like dey stand then go wuk 4 somebody else. Repentance assuming dat she repent is between she and God dem have dey school 2 run accordin 2 their PENTECOSTAL VALUES.

but reading d article u see where it is indicated that that was not clearly defined

“Jarretta was asked not to return because of a moral issue that was disregarded, namely fornication, sex outside of marriage. The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school.”

That’s a long way from saying teachers are prohibited from having premarital sex, the couple argue.

and it was a question in passing and ah damn farse one at dat, ah mean seriously,.............an is not like "i gather" dey shack up after,

d point people make mistakes and room should be made for that.................jesus did ............apparently .....why cant his self appointed guardians of virtue :P
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 03:35:19 PM »

but reading d article u see where it is indicated that that was not clearly defined

and it was a question in passing and ah damn farse one at dat, ah mean seriously,.............an is not like "i gather" dey shack up after,

d point people make mistakes and room should be made for that.................jesus did ............apparently .....why cant his self appointed guardians of virtue :P

U teachin in a Pentecostal school and u eh expect a  moral clause? If a muslim did get fired 4 bringin a pork roast on d compound it would not b a poblem but because pre marital sex is d norm d people should change their rules because we livin under grace not d law. Dat is 4 she and God it have rules dat is y evryting upside down we compromise our standards for all kind reason.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
we will have to agree to disagree on dis one, latitude should have been given, all things considered, but dais jus me
I pity the fool....

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »

U teachin in a Pentecostal school and u eh expect a  moral clause? If a muslim did get fired 4 bringin a pork roast on d compound it would not b a poblem but because pre marital sex is d norm d people should change their rules because we livin under grace not d law. Dat is 4 she and God it have rules dat is y evryting upside down we compromise our standards for all kind reason.

If she is suing based on discrimination then she is implying that they violated the terms of her contract. I'm sure the terms of the contract would stipulate how she teaches and what she teaches and not what she does outside of school. Was her conduct harmful and/or did it  detract from how she performed her teaching duties? Does an employer have the right to ask when your child was conceived? Was her right to maternity leave denied based on her having premarital sex? and those are only a few of the questions.
If that school receives any federal funding then they are in violation of Title VII of the the Civil Rights Act.
I hope she bankrupts that school.

giggsy11

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
I am surprise she was not fired because she was not a virgin. I woner how many of the men who work there are practising closeted fornicators?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
If she is suing based on discrimination then she is implying that they violated the terms of her contract. I'm sure the terms of the contract would stipulate how she teaches and what she teaches and not what she does outside of school. Was her conduct harmful and/or did it  detract from how she performed her teaching duties? Does an employer have the right to ask when your child was conceived? Was her right to maternity leave denied based on her having premarital sex? and those are only a few of the questions.
If that school receives any federal funding then they are in violation of Title VII of the the Civil Rights Act.
I hope she bankrupts that school.

Nah yuh can't make dem assumptions.  If she was arguing breach of contract it likely would have said so.  Most likely she's an "at-will" employee and so can be terminated even without cause.  Where they bounce dey head was in telling everybody why she was terminated.  Even so she might have a hard time winning this case... these are private employers, and religious employers at that.  We could disagree all we want but the people have a right to place a greater emphasis on morality in their particular workplace.  A congregation could choose to forgive a philandering pastor, as well they could fire him. 

The argument on moral grounds isn't as strong in this case, but the same principle applies... they teach one thing and she by her actions are essentially telling the kids it's okay to do otherwise.  They have a strong argument that they are within their rights.  There is no state action here to implicate a Constitutional question, and usually in the absence of a state actions the courts are hesitant to find discrimination unless a very good argument is made that the behavior is contrary to public policy.  A policy argument is strong if the interest to the public at-large is significant... as in repudiation of Jim Crow laws 50 yrs ago.  Here the interest in premarital sex is unlikely to be as great as the interest in racial equality... among other rights.  Let's say they fired her not for the sex, but for having a child out of wedlock, she'd have a much stronger argument still because there is a recognized right to parenthood.  Privacy issues when it comes to premarital sex have been upheld... but in this case may not be helpful.

Just my take.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:31:43 PM by Bake n Shark »

1]; } ?>