March 29, 2024, 07:32:05 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 17 - Group A: South Africa vs Uruguay  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WC 2010 - Match 17 - Group A: South Africa vs Uruguay
« on: June 15, 2010, 12:10:49 PM »
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/round=249722/match=300061452/index.html

Group A looks too close to call after two draws on the opening day, but hosts South Africa and Uruguay should have a clearer idea of their destinies at this FIFA World Cup™ after what promises to be a hotly contested encounter in the heartland of Tshwane/Pretoria. While it is far-fetched to suggest that their Loftus Versfeld Stadium encounter will be decisive, a victory for either side would go a long way to booking a place in the Round of 16.

The match
South Africa-Uruguay, Loftus Stadium, Wednesday 16 June, 20.30 (local time)

They may be riding a wave of optimism inside the host country, but Carlos Alberto Parreira's South Africa will face a tough task against Uruguay. In their opening game against France, the Uruguayans showed that they possess the ability to contain teams and launch dangerous counter-attacks. Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez has hinted that against South Africa they will be more adventurous compared to that safety-first approach.

Uruguay have been preparing in Kimberley, a town famous for the surrounding gold mines, but it is goals that Uruguay want after their stalemate with France hence Tabarez's expection decision to go with an extra striker in Edinson Cavani. The South Africans too want to improve on their finishing after the 1-1 draw with Mexico, where striker Katlego Mphela missed a glorious chance in the dying moments, watching in agony as his shot shaved the upright.

Still, South Africa gave their millions of home supporters cause for optimism with their opening display against Mexico. When pressed against the ropes in the first 20 minutes, they were able to absorb the pressure and, having overcome the stage fright that gripped them early on, found a head of steam in the second half. It was a performance that served notice that the hosts should not be taken lightly and the fact that they were less than 10 minutes from victory against an organised and polished Mexican side earned them rave reviews.

Players to watch
Itumeleng Khune v Diego Forlan

South Africa's exciting young goalkeeper, Itumeng Khune, is in the form of his life, as seen by his flying save from Alessandro Dos Santos in the second half of the game against Mexico. He showed his importance to Bafana Bafana in that Opening Match and may need to be at his best again to deny a Uruguay front line including Atletico Madrid striker Diego Forlan. Although expected to play behind the front two, Forlan will be hustling for an opportunity to open his account after missing a late scoring chance against France. South Africa showed a lack of concentration when conceding an equaliser to Mexico and Forlan will be looking to exploit any such weaknesses.

The stat
7 – the number of goals scored between the two sides in their two previous meetings. All the goals came during the 1997 FIFA Confederations Cup match in Saudi Arabia where South Africa lost 4-3.

What they say
"I think we broke the ice [against Mexico]. We will be much better against Uruguay because now we know what we're going to get and what to expect. I think there are some things that we need to fix as well. We need to concentrate until the last minute and we need to take our chances in a game like this because they are a really good team," South Africa midfielder Steven Pienaar.

"All matches are different – now we're facing South Africa, then Mexico, they will all be different, all difficult games. Hopefully we will be able to get more control of the ball; that way we will be able to run less and rest more, and manage the flow of the game better. South Africa is a team with good players, fast players that can counter and come out very quickly so we are going to have to be very careful," Uruguay forward Diego Forlan.

Have your say
Who do you think will prevail  in the midfield battle between the hard-tackling Uruguayans and the skilful South Africans? Can Bafana Bafana get their first win of their FIFA World Cup?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 17 - Group A: South Africa vs Uruguay
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »
yet another draw..

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:49:56 PM »
For those at de Office,meh daughter see de Brazil game

here : http://futbol.univision.com/fifacopamundial/partidos-en-vivo

Dey streaming de games.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 04:43:18 AM »
ESPN3.com is supposed to be showing the games as well.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:42:04 AM »
Happy Youth Day South Africa. Never Forget when, the

children stepped up to the plate after their Mothers and

Fathers to help sew the seeds with their lives for everyone to reap.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »
I hear Uruguay national anthem is 5 minutes? And dey hadda cut it down?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
Love South Africa's team's pre match vibe...singing and dancing- enjoy the football!!  It's just like Brazil's pre match samba drumming and singing on the team bus...

Little trivia (don't remember where I heard it): In France '98 the only match that Brazil broke it's pre-match singing and samba was the final- go figure. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »
Game showing nice on this link http://www.tv6tnt.tv/TV6_Brightcove/default2.html
so those who getting trouble try it before it full up!

I watching game via the BBC over here in England!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
Game showing nice on this link http://www.tv6tnt.tv/TV6_Brightcove/default2.html
so those who getting trouble try it before it full up!

I watching game via the BBC over here in England!  8)
CBC too
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »
Golazo be Forlan.

It take a deflection, but I feel it was going in anyway.
First man to connect on a long range shot and have it go in.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
Aight....ah reach....SA look like they in for a warm time. Uruguay come out to play this rounds. Accurate passing from back out front. They pressuring the ball from high up too. Wonder if they could keep that up. Really doh want to see SA go out so early.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 01:12:32 PM »
This game is allot better flowing and is pleasing to watch.

I don't know what was wrong with the previous game but

it was ah vexation to yuh footballing spirit.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 02:09:51 PM »
Vuvuzelas gone quiet.
2-0 Uruguay
Penalty for the 2nd goal. Keeper get a red card.

They could beat france though!

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »
2nil Uruguay.....waayyyy South Africans abandoning ship and leaving early yes.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »

Wagonists!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
Oh boy....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »
3-0

Vuvuzelas gone quiet again.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »
somebody please compare T&T-1.2million people (I had to check...didn't know the population gettin smaller) to Uruguay - 3.3million people.  why we cyah have a couple world cup belts and put on a dominating performance like that?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:31:18 PM by kounty »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 02:34:13 PM »
somebody please compare T&T-1.2million people (I had to check...didn't know the population gettin smaller) to Uruguay - 3.3million people.  why we cyah have a couple world cup belts and put on a dominating performance like that?

Obviously, we need a next 2.1 million people. Start making more children... ;D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »

:rotfl:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »
That referee is ah fforkin dog!! he give every call to the uragayan dogs!! dat man fall down like if he get bounce down by ah mack truck, when all that happen was his toe tip touched the goalie's kleets slightly.

even though ah hate el tri, ah want el tri tuh go through before them wid france to the 2nd round.

BTW, south africa remind me of the old trini, when we had elcock , nakid, nixon, latas, yorke, stern and shaka. played real good except in the final third and then in the end fade away and concede some stupid goals. bottom line, goals win matches, not flair!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »
That referee is ah fforkin dog!! he give every call to the uragayan dogs!! dat man fall down like if he get bounce down by ah mack truck, when all that happen was his toe tip touched the goalie's kleets slightly.

even though ah hate el tri, ah want el tri tuh go through before them wid france to the 2nd round.

BTW, south africa remind me of the old trini, when we had elcock , nakid, nixon, latas, yorke, stern and shaka. played real good except in the final third and then in the end fade away and concede some stupid goals. bottom line, goals win matches, not flair!

That penalty call was rediculous!!  The man barely made contact with his foot and he trow he self on de grong like if the 'keeper break he leg. tommy smyth on televieion talkin one SETTA shyt!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 03:48:34 PM »

well first mostly afro trinidadians  play the game in trinidad so that about 400,000 pop and   most of Uruguay players picked  play overseas only 2 local players made the squad.. But good performance by uraguay hope SA BEAT FRANCE
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:52:04 PM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
Did they ban the Vuvuzelas for this game? ah couldn't hear them at all!
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »

:rotfl:
Good one!  ;D
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 04:57:44 PM »

Wagonists!

they did that in the confederations cup, when they were playing Spain. just after a few left , SA equalize and game went into extra time. Too late for those who left
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:40 PM »
WTF... South Africa make Forlan and Suarez look good... shame shame shame.. ruined my 100& predictions so far. CRUD HATE URUGUAY..YUK

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »
Dem latins countries have ah real disdain for the game of football, and i'll tell yuh why. ever since i watching football, the germans , english, scotish, dutch does always play wid ah considerable amount of toughness and grit, but these macomare men who does speak this latin crap does real irritate me wid the fallin down like if some body blow off they foot wid ah shotty to the slightest of touch!

that kinda shyte does real kill the game, and it's ah real low scampish thing tuh get yuh way wid the refs. imagine the uraGAY player who fall down like if the SA keeper kick him down was ah perfect example! and fifa really needs tuh address this before these HOMOS  kill the beautiful game and tun it in the sissy game.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 06:29:59 AM »
Dem latins countries have ah real disdain for the game of football, and i'll tell yuh why. ever since i watching football, the germans , english, scotish, dutch does always play wid ah considerable amount of toughness and grit, but these macomare men who does speak this latin crap does real irritate me wid the fallin down like if some body blow off they foot wid ah shotty to the slightest of touch!

that kinda shyte does real kill the game, and it's ah real low scampish thing tuh get yuh way wid the refs. imagine the uraGAY player who fall down like if the SA keeper kick him down was ah perfect example! and fifa really needs tuh address this before these HOMOS  kill the beautiful game and tun it in the sissy game.

Cool,
           As much as I agree with you on some points, Uraguy is playing a savvy game. Apart from rolling over at the slightest touch, they are a defensive counter attack team. They use the strengths quite wisely. I think the penalty turned the tide of the game. SA was still in the game after a great goal by Forlan.  The 2nd goal was a travesty. If the ref was in a better position, I think the Uraguay player would have gotten a yellow for faking. You may not like anti-football, but Italy win Spain WC with anti-football.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »

He was searching for that call for like 15 minutes ... a well-oiled simulator. However, as disdainful as the call was (i agree) ... if African teams remain cautious about entering the penalty area with the ball at feet, guess what ... DEY SALT! The insistence on flighted balls, even the occasional driven ball into the '6' by these African teams boggles the mind ... ah lehme guess, dahis where a European coach meets an African squad. I done yes.

1]; } ?>