March 19, 2024, 03:49:53 AM

Author Topic: Piarco Airport Thread.  (Read 12334 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Piarco Airport Thread.
« on: December 22, 2005, 07:33:51 AM »
New Piarco Airport hotel coming.
By: Clint Chan Tack.

Piarco International Airport will soon have its own world class hotel. Senior officials at the Airport Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (AATT) yesterday said that the rationale behind inviting proposals to construct a hotel on the grounds of the Piarco Airport estate was to meet the growing international profile of this country as both a tourist and a business destination. The officials said the new hotel will be located one kilometre north of the new airport terminal, will cater to the needs of all travellers and also have specific facilities for business people to conduct their affairs while in TT. The AATT invited requests for proposals from interested and qualified hotel operators to design, develop, construct, finance, furnish, operate and maintain the new airport hotel on December 19.
Interested parties must submit a US$10,000 deposit to receive a request for proposal document for the project. The deposits must be made in the form of a cashier’s cheque made payable to the AATT. The deposits of all unsuccessful proposers will be returned, or applied to the lease deposit of the successful proposer. A mandatory pre-proposal conference and site visit are scheduled for January 10, 2006, and selection of the successful proposer is expected to take place by March 6, 2006. AATT officials declined to say if international resorts were bidding for the project, noting that the process was ongoing and the AATT did not wish to prejudice it in any way. Officials added that the exact scope and cost of the project would be dependent on the contents of the successful proposer’s bid. There are currently 3,000 hotels in 212 cities worldwide, but no such facility exists in the Caribbean. Among the hotels which currently operate airport hotels are the Intercontinental Hotels Group, Holiday Inn, the Marriott and the Hilton.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:25:58 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Re: New Piarco Airport hotel coming.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 07:42:10 PM »
Oh gaaaaaaaawd, look at bacahnal about tuh begin...

:rotfl:   :rotfl:    :rotfl:    :rotfl:     :rotfl:    :rotfl:
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Piarco Airport Thread.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
Breaking News - Gaspard Breaks Silence

Director of Public Prosecutions senior counsel Roger Gaspard

today issued a statement on the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act 2011, and its impact on the two legal proceedings involving defendants charged in the Piarco Airport Terminal project.

In an eight page statement, Gaspard gave a detail account of his limited involvement in the drafting of the Bill.

Gaspard stressed that he was never consulted on the change to Section 34, which has now been used by defendants in the Piarco cases to petition the High Court to be freed on all charges.

He also stated that having consulted with legal luminaries home and
abroad, no one could find any legislation that paralleled Section 34, in the entire Commonwealth.

Gaspard stated that Section 34 "cannot stand on its own without absurdity", and had the effect of terminating the Piarco cases solely on the basis that they were committed more than ten years ago, and without regard to any other issue concerning the fairness of the trial process, including the contribution of the defendants pertaining to the issue of delay.

Gaspard stated that after learning of the proclamation Section 34 in the press, he wrote Attorney General Anand Ramlogan on Monday, suggesting that the Act be repealed immediately with retroactive effect.

Gaspard stated that on Tuesday, he wrote to the Attorney General advising that any remedial legislative action taken, must be retrospective and override the sections 4 and 5 of the Constitution which outlines the rights and freedoms of citizens.

Gaspard stated that the situation could, hopefully, still be retrieved and the State retain the right to prosecute in the Piarco criminals matters.

Parliament convenes today for the purpose of repealing the Act.

The following is the full text of Gaspard's statement -

RE: THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE (INDICTABLE PROCEEDINGS) ACT NO. 20 OF 2011
AS IT RELATES TO THE PROCEEDINGS
IN PIARCO NO. 1 AND PIARCO NO. 2

On Independence Day, section 34 of the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act 2011 was brought into force. Curiously, no other substantive provision of this Act has been brought into force even though the declared legislative thrust of this Act is the abolition of preliminary enquiries. Section 34 (1) cannot stand on its own without absurdity, while 34(2) and 34(3) have nothing to do with any such abolition.

In fact, section 34(2) and 34(3) are of such effect that any matter involving offences committed over ten (10) years ago cannot now be tried unless they are excepted by Schedule 6 of the Act. However, Schedule 6 does not apply to the captioned matters.

These cases involve allegations of a conspiracy to defraud the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago of over TT$1 billion by the fraudulent use of bonds and the rigging of the contracts for the various Construction packages for the Piarco Airport Project.

I was initially consulted about the Act as a Bill in March 2011. I commented in detail by letter dated the 6th of May 2011 and forwarded same to the Hon. Mr. Herbert Volney, Minister of Justice. I could not comment on section 34 or Schedule 6 as now contained in the Act because they were not in the draft bill kindly sent to me by the Minister of Justice. I had never been asked to comment on the significance of section 34(2) and 34(3), prior to the Bill being introduced into the Parliament of Trinidad and Tobago on the 11th of November 2011.

However, I attended a meeting held by the Judiciary and Justice Sector Committee at the Chief Justice’s Conference Room at the Hall of Justice on 24th of July, 2012. One of the items on the agenda was the Implementation Process for the Regime under the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act 2011.

During this meeting, the effect and to some extent, the import of section 34 of the Act were raised. This prompted a response by the Minister of Justice that Cabinet had made a decision.

I note that the original clause 34 of the Bill was first introduced in November 2011 and as then drafted would not have affected the captioned proceedings. It also did not concern the date when offences were alleged to have been committed as a basis for discharge. However, clause 34 was changed on the 29th of November 2011 on a motion in the Senate by the Hon. Minister of Justice. The effect of that change was to prevent the prosecution of offences not covered by Schedule 6 where the conduct alleged occurred more than ten (10) years ago. Again, I stress that I was not consulted on this change to clause 34 of the Bill.

Further, the offences in Schedule 6 appear to have been selected by category rather than gravity. They do not for example include sedition, terrorism, piracy, money laundering or offences under the Larceny and Forgery Acts. This has the potential to disfigure the international visage of Trinidad and Tobago, especially since some of these offences and fraud tend to involve delayed detections and lengthy investigations spanning several jurisdictions.

May I hasten to add that I consulted with legal luminaries, based both at home and abroad and they have not been able to point me in the direction of any legislation that could be considered to be a sibling of or parallel with section 34(2) and 34(3) of the Act, in the entire Commonwealth.

The Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act 2011 received the assent of the President on the 16th of December 2011. Instructively, on the 19th of December 2011 the Attorney General announced his decision not to appeal the judgment of the Hon. Mr. Justice Boodoosingh, that the decision to return Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson to the United States of America, was unjust and oppressive. Doubtless, when he announced that decision, the Attorney General must have had in mind the provisions of section 34.

Nonetheless, in giving his reasons not to appeal, the Attorney General stated as follows:

“… Both the judgments of the Court of Appeal and Justice Boodoosingh emphasized the point that it is the citizens of this country who have greater interest in seeing the alleged criminal conduct prosecuted since the principal victim is the State of Trinidad and Tobago, and the alleged criminality impacts more on Trinidad and Tobago rather than on the Requesting State.

7. These are findings and observations that no responsible Attorney General can ignore and I therefore consider it appropriate that I take cognisance of and pay due regard to them in my objective consideration of the way forward.

8. … Although, there may be certain aspects of the judgment of Mr. Justice Boodoosingh which in Counsel’s view are open to criticism, Counsel has advised that such criticism may not provide grounds of appeal of sufficient gravity that would lead inexorably to an overturning of his decision … Taking all these facts into account, and in particular the trenchant observations of both the Court of Appeal and Boodoosingh J pointing to the fact that Trinidad and Tobago is the appropriate forum, I have come to the view that the ends of justice will be served by foregoing the exercise of the undoubted right of appeal and allowing the matters currently before the local courts to be proceeded with.

This course would be in the interest of all concerned. Accordingly, I wish to announce that the Attorney General will not appeal the decision of Mr. Justice Boodoosingh, delivered on the 7th of November 2011.

9. This paves the way for the DPP in the exercise of his independent function to take the necessary steps to lay the indictments for which the Claimants have been committed in respect of the conduct and charges relating to Piarco. No. 1.”

Consequently, in the light of the Attorney General’s statement and as the respective stakeholders were not in a state of readiness for the implementation of the Act, it could not be reasonably expected that the Act and in particular section 34, would come into operation in the opaque fashion that it has.

In February 2012 the Ministry of Justice made a request of me for an indication of the number of matters to which 34(3) of the Act would apply. My office responded by letter dated the 22nd of May 2012 advising that there were forty-seven (47) matters for which committal papers had been received for offences committed more than ten (10) years ago and which were not covered by Schedule 6.

It should be noted that to date we have only received committal documents for Piarco No. 1. Piarco No. 2 is still the subject of a preliminary enquiry-although those proceedings are coming to an end, the prosecution having closed it case.

On Independence Day, the proclamation of section 34 of the Act took me by surprise. I learnt about it in the press. I should stress that I am satisfied that even without this provision, the right of an accused to a fair trial is and always has been properly protected, especially in the case of inordinate delay. This is because of the very well known powers of judges to stay proceedings when they find that an accused person has suffered irreparable prejudice, whether actually or presumptively and thus cannot have a fair trial.

However, section 34(2) and 34(3) automatically terminate prosecution of those offences which are the subject of the Piarco No. 1 and Piarco No. 2 matters, solely on the basis that they were committed more than ten (10) years ago. This is without regard to any other issue concerning the fairness of the trial process, such as the contribution of the defendants as it pertains to the issue of delay.

Andrew Mitchell Q.C., in seeking to persuade the Attorney General that his client Ishwar Galbaransingh, should not be extradited to the United States of America stated as follows:

“It is a decision which engages the right of the public to see and, if they wish, to go and visit a trial and see how the allegations play out in relation to the alleged abuse of taxpayers’ money.”

Andrew Mitchell, Q.C. also rather elegantly said that to deny Trinidad and Tobago the right to try Mr. Galbaransingh was “tantamount to accepting that there is no appropriate way of trying serious fraud allegations against the State in Trinidad and Tobago.” and that such a message “would send all the wrong messages at a time when the policy of the Government appears to be to bring to justice those who commit serious commercial wrongdoing.” He also advised that the matter before the Attorney General should not be influenced by “political objectives or interference,” but “should be based on the principles of law and justice.” I could not agree more.

As Director, I must not allow any proceedings to continue which have been rendered futile, whether or not there is evidence to support the allegations made in those proceedings. I do note that although the then Chief Magistrate in Piarco No. 1 found that there was a case to answer against all the defendants in those proceedings, I could not take Piarco No. 1 to trial. This was because of overlapping defendants and the obvious oppression and impossibility in having them before the High Court on an Indictment, while the Piarco No. 2 preliminary enquiry was on-going. In addition, I also intended to have one joint trial in the High Court relative to the allegations in Piarco No. 1 and Piarco No. 2 so as to save judicial time and to abridge costs.
In Piarco No. 2, it is note-worthy that as part of a plea agreement with me, Mr. Ronald Birk, a United States national, gave evidence on behalf of the State, adverse to the defendants. Furthermore, he has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to Conspiracy to Defraud the State of Trinidad and Tobago by dishonestly causing the contract for Construction Package 6 to be awarded to the NYC Consortium.

Accordingly, by letter dated 10th day of September 2012 I apprised the Attorney General of my grave concerns about this new Act and I suggested to him that as a matter of extreme urgency, section 34 of the Act should be repealed immediately with retroactive effect.

Further, by letter dated 11th day of September 2012, I also advised the Attorney General that any remedial legislative action taken in respect of section 34(2) and 34(3) must expressly indicate that it is of retrospective effect and should override sections 4 and 5 of the Constitution, since it involves the removal of existing rights of action.

It is of some comfort to note that the Honourable Attorney General has orally informed me that the Government of Trinidad and Tobago intends to convene Parliament on the 12th day of September, 2012 with a view to the repeal of the offending section 34.

This is a useful first step by way of corrective legislative action since I am of the unflinching view, that the current state of affairs cannot be allowed to remain extant, especially having regard to the public interest.

Hopefully, the situation can still be retrieved and the ramparts of the State’s right to prosecute these matters remain intact, as they properly should.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:24:40 AM by Flex »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Piarco Airport.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:13:51 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Seeks Atlanta Bids for Airport-City Project.
by Trevor Williams

Piarco International Airport in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, is seeking proposals from construction and design companies in Atlanta, its sister city, to create design guidelines for a transformative airport-city development. 

The 168-acre North Aviation Business Park is billed as a way to bolster the two-island nation's claim as a business gateway to Latin America and the Caribbean. 

"We are seeking proposals from organizations or individuals with relevant experience to prepare a ‘building design manual’ for tenants at our Business Park," said Emmanuel Baah, marketing manager for the Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago. The manual is to help the airport clarify its expectations for tenants and ultimately recruit the right kinds of companies. 

The park is to include a free trade zone, a four-star hotel and conference center and an airline maintenance repair and overhaul operations center. It will also have zones designated for warehousing, offices, recreation, retail and entertainment. 

The development is seeking to lure manufacturers, touting the nation's trained labor force and low energy costs due to ample natural gas supplies. The description of the business park also plays up Trinidad and Tobago's blend of cultures, festive atmosphere and outdoor activities. 
 More Trinidad and Tobago StoriesEmory Announces International Award Winners Atlanta Film Festival Seeks to Expand Global Reach Atlanta Sister Cities Commission Releases 2010 Report Trinidad and Tobago Seeks Investors for Four-Star Resort Wendy's/Arby's Lands Deals in Russia, Caribbean  The country has 1.3 million people, and the airport serves 250,000 transit passengers every year. 

The deadline for submissions is Sept. 26, with a preliminary meeting to be held Sept. 12 at the airport. 

Mr. Baah visited Atlanta in May for airport leader training conducted by CIFAL Atlanta.

For more information on the design guidelines project,

CIFAL Atlanta Trains Global Airport Leaders

Some were marathon runners and self-proclaimed rum connoisseurs. A few hailed from Africa, while most came from across the Central and South America and the Caribbean.

The common thread that brought them all together in Atlanta? Airports.

CIFAL Atlanta, a United Nations agency that trains world leaders, hosted more than 70 airport and transportation officials from 20-plus countries to learn from North American industry leaders and the experts running the world’s busiest airport in Atlanta.

The multi-day forum was organized under the DNA Assistance Program of Airports Council International, a key industry group.

To launch the event, attendees sat around a massive conference table in Marietta and shared personal facts to break the ice.

A visitor from the South American nation of Suriname shared his love for cooking, while one from Ecuador spoke of his love for the Liga de Quito soccer team.

Tom Walker, an executive at Atlanta-based construction firm IntegralGude, said he was Chicago airports commissioner when O’Hare lost the title of  ”world’s busiest” to Atlanta in 1996.

Craig Lesser, the CIFAL board chairman, was a different kind of commissioner – leading the economic development department of the state of Georgia after coming to the state from New York with only $200 in his pocket. “This is a great place,” he added.

The comments set a amicable tone for a conference that was to last May 8-10 and include tours of the new international terminal Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as well as a briefing from its aviation general manager, Louis Miller.

Mr. Miller\’s predecessor, Ben DeCosta, opened the training with a session on evaluating the economic assets of the city and region when crafting a strategy for attracting new carriers and routes.

“Here in Atlanta we have many of what they call the Fortune 500 companies, and a reason they are here is because of Hartsfield-Jackson,” he said, soliciting feedback from other officials about how their airports are “magnets” for commercial activity.

The forum was titled “Air Service Development and its Vital Link to Economic Development”.

CIFAL Atlanta recently moved to new offices at Kennesaw State University.

Read more: U.N. Training Center Relocates to Kennesaw State

Visit cifalatlanta.org for more information.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Piarco Airport.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
??!! ???

Whey all dis commin from?!? ,, didnt the t&t taxpayer JES finish buildin ah new Piarco airport ...complete with a 40ft giant braille sign for the blind people to read
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »
I just get a headache reading this. They haven't got a clue !

This is a less sophisticated version of the 'build it and they will come' economic philosophy that produces buildings that remain vacant for years.  Except that in the case of Dubai they have the cash to spend and in China they actually have a need based on urban growth. We have neither and undoubtedly this project will be financed through debt and not equity. And why they had to go to Atlanta to develop a design manual anyway ?

If you want investment you have to make doing business easier. Better National Security, Transportation services and streamlined customs and tax administration would produce dividends for local business and make Trinidad and Tobago more attractive to foreign investors.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:23:35 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Breaking News - Gaspard Breaks Silence
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »
Report: Laser beam used to spy on DPP
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Report-Laser-beam-used-to-spy-on-DPP-227164311.html

By Denyse Renne denyse.renne@trinidadexpress.com
October 9, 2013
A report confirming that a highly sophisticated laser beam was used to monitor activities at the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Richmond Street, Port of Spain, office has been submitted to acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams.

Sources say the report was prepared and signed off by Sen Supt Gary Gould of the Special Branch.
Though no bugging device was found, the one-paragraph report said evidence of a laser beam was detected on the walls of the conference room at the DPP’s office.

The conference room is used by senior DPP staff to discuss high profile matters with attorneys both local and foreign.

Contacted yesterday for a comment, Gould said: “I do not wish to discuss that issue.”
Pressed further on whether he in fact had signed off on the report and whether the contents will be forwarded to investigators probing the Section 34 e-mails which allegedly implicates several senior Government ministers, Gould said:
“I do not wish to discuss that issue at this time and I cannot discuss that issue.”

On May 20, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley read 31 e-mails purported to be from addresses belonging to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, Works and Infrastructure Minister Suruj Rambachan and then national security adviser to the Prime Minister, Gary Griffith (now National Security Minister).

The correspondences had addressed the Section 34 fiasco, offering the DPP a judgeship and the intimidation of a journalist.
The e-mails also spoke about “accessing taps in the DPP office”.
One of the e-mails, dated September 10, 2012, read: “We have a problem. Things are getting heated. Need access to taps in DPP office. I want to know what his next move is. How soon can you arrange?”
Contacted for a comment yesterday, Williams said: “That is an old issue, I commented on that already”.
Told that he commented on there not being a physical device, Williams was then asked whether remnants of the laser beam were in fact found.
“I have no comment to make on anything,” he said.

Following the disclosure in Parliament, Persad-Bissessar and her Government have denied any knowledge of the e-mails. The Prime Minister wrote to Williams asking that a probe be conducted. Williams in turn mandated his deputy Mervyn Richardson to head the investigation.

Following several interviews by his officers, Richardson indicated he had written to Google and Microsoft last month seeking information on the e-mail exchanges. He indicated both service providers are yet to respond.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Wolfgang Puck to open restaurant at Piarco Airport
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
Wolfgang Puck to open restaurant at Piarco Airport
T&T Newsdy Reports.

Renowned international chef Wolfgang Puck will open a restaurant at Piarco International Airport – ‘the Wolfgang Puck Bistro and Bar.’

The restaurant will be located on the upper floor of the Duty Free area of the airport. The Bistro will be a contemporary casual restaurant with the guiding principle of “Simple is Delicious”.

The menu will provide quick bites or leisurely meal options, with opportunities for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Chef Puck is an Austrian-born chef who began his rise to stardom in 1981, when he authored his first cookbook and a year later opened his award-winning restaurant Spago in Beverly Hills. He has received several awards during his auspicious career, including an induction into the Culinary Hall of Fame in 2013.

He has more than 80 branded operations throughout the US. The restaurant’s opening is a collaboration between the Airports Authority along with the Delaware North Corporation (DNC) and Superior Hospitality who were able to persuade Puck to bring his brand to Trinidad.

In addition to the Wolfgang Puck Bistro, DNC will be bringing two additional businesses to Piarco International Airport – ‘The Piarco Gourmet’ and ‘Trinidad Chic’.

Piarco Gourmet is a specialty food shop focused on locally made and/or grown Trinidadian and Tobagonian specialty products and related merchandise: rum cakes, chocolates, hot sauces and spices, coffees and teas, and related branded merchandise.

Trinidad Chic will sell locally made fashion, accessories, and jewelry and beauty products. Local artisans are contributing to the stores.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Piarco Airport Thread.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 02:17:21 AM »
Duke threatens to shut down Piarco Airport
T&T Guardian Reports.

Public Service Association president Watson Duke is threatening to shut down the Immigration Division’s operations at the Piarco International Airport, as he says the Government has failed the officers by not providing proper personal protective equipment (PPE).

Duke’s statements come following news that 13 immigration officers have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus and 84 more are in quarantine.

During a press conference at the PSA headquarters in Port-of-Spain yesterday, Duke gave statistics on the number of face masks, hand sanitisers and hazmat suits the officers were given over a 51-day period. He said during this period, 5,000 people had travelled in and out of the country.

“You know how many surgical masks they gave them to deal with 5,000 passengers between January 4 and February 24? Fifty-one days, you know how much masks they gave them? 250 surgical face masks,” Duke said.

He said there are 90 immigration officers assigned to work at the airport but the entire group was given 180 bottles of hand sanitiser, each measuring 250 ml and 25 hazmat suits. He said they were also given gloves but all the gloves were the same size, making them difficult for the female officers to use.

Duke accused National Security Minister Stuart Young of being a ‘wordsmith’ and using ‘big words’ to deflect from not providing the proper PPE for the officers.

“We are demanding all the PPE is provided for all employees, we will not be accepting that stock ran out.”

He said the Government had breached Section 6 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act by not providing a safe work environment for the officers.

“They have failed in fulfilling their legal duty to these employees. The PSA will have a zero-tolerance on that for immigration, for customs at the airport, and at any moment we will shut it down, flat on its back, no warning, no further warning,” Duke said.

When asked to address a post on social media that alleged immigration officers were infected with the virus while attending two parties, Duke said those allegations were untrue.

“We expect them to do that, this is PNM style - blame the workers. There is no evidence of that, it is all made up to make the workers look irresponsible. Ask yourself where is the head of the Immigration Division? Where is she? Out of the country. Ask yourself if anyone really cares about those workers.”

Ministry probes source of virus

The Ministry of National Security says it is investigating the circumstances surrounding how a group of Immigration Division officers recently contracted COVID-19.

“There is preliminary evidence that suggests that the contraction of COVID-19 may not have been directly associated with the official performance of duties by personnel,” a release from the ministry said.

It said the ministry’s permanent secretaries, Gary Joseph and Nataki Atiba-Dilchan, met with acting Chief Immigration Officer Derek Craigwell to discuss current immigration-related issues after Minister Stuart Young expressed concern about the recent developments.

“Matters discussed included the continued provision of personal protective equipment (PPE) to ensure the health and safety of Immigration Officers stationed at the airport. Measures are also in place to maintain continuous Immigration services for both incoming and departing passengers,” the release said.

The release said the Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (AATT) continues to sanitise all workspaces at the airport on a regular basis, in accordance with the guidelines from the Ministry of Health. It added that the ministry will continue to provide all necessary resources to ensure the well-being of its officers.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 01:16:38 AM »
Miami jury rules against Kuei Tung, Ferguson – GOVERNMENT WINS US$100M
JADA LOUTOO T&T NEWSDAY

THE Government has been successful in its multi-million dollar civil asset forfeiture claim in Miami, linked to the construction of the Piarco Airport terminal building 22 years ago.

A Miami jury found businessman Steve Ferguson liable for multiple claims arising from the fraud perpetrated in connection with the redevelopment of the Piarco International Airport in the late 1990s and early 2000s, former attorney general Faris Al-Rawi told Newsday late Wednesday night.

Al-Rawi was the corporate representative of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago in the government’s civil lawsuit. He was restored as TT’s representative after a US appeals court, in February, affirmed the disqualification of Attorney General Reginald Armour, SC, and Miami law firm Sequor Law, from representing TT.

Wednesday’s verdict means TT will get triple the damages it sought automatically under the US Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organisations (RICO) law. TT will also get prejudgment interest of at least US$25 million with the final judgment expected to be in excess of US$100 million.

This is the only trial of corruption and bribery charges arising out of the airport project as none of the matters in the local courts have yet moved to trial stage.

Al-Rawi, who has been in Miami since the trial began on March 6, told Newsday the jury deliberated for approximately two hours.

Government began US litigation in 2004 as it sought to recoup US$37 million from those accused of corruption. Before the court were Ferguson, former UNC minister Brian Kuei Tung and US businessman Raul Gutierrez Jr.

They were the only three defendants left in Government’s civil case from the original matter by former attorney general John Jeremie, SC. The case originally involved 23 defendants.

Kuei Tung, a former minister of finance under the Basdeo Panday administration, and Gutierrez, the former principal of Calmaquip Engineering Corporation – which provided specialised equipment at the airport – were previously held liable in the racketeering case.

Calmaquip was formerly head quartered in Miami.

Al-Rawi said the jury found all three men liable for US$32,385,988 each in damages suffered by TT and granted the RICO claims made by the State.

Miami-Dade Circuit judge Reemberto Diaz presided over the announcement of the verdict which came in at around 6 pm at the Miami-Dade County Courthouse at 73 West Flagler Street in Miami.

When the State filed its fifth amended complaint in April 2007, there was a total of 56 defendants, which included 11 businessmen, 12 corporate entities, and 33 “in rem” (or property) defendants which comprised bank accounts and tangible assets.

The State maintained that Ferguson, Kuei Tung, and Gutierrez conspired with others to corrupt the bidding process on two construction packages, as well as the maintenance contract for the airport.

In April 2016, the court granted summary judgment against Gutierrez, concluding he was liable for fraud and violations of Florida’s RICO statutes. Gutierrez pleaded guilty in 2006 to charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and transportation of stolen property in violation of US federal law related to his involvement in the Piarco project.

In October 2019, the court entered a default judgment against Kuei Tung for refusing to attend his deposition to answer questions about the case. The default resulted in liability against Kuei Tung for the same claims. The court also determined Kuei Tung liable for conspiracy to commit fraud.

The jury trial began on March 6 and after two days of jury selection, opening statements were delivered by each party two days later.

The State was represented by its US legal team from the Miami firm White & Case LLP, which took over when Sequor Law was disqualified. It advanced evidence over ten full days. The three defendants followed with four days of presenting their own evidence. Closing addresses began and ended on Wednesday after which the jury retired to deliberate.

At the trial’s conclusion, Al-Rawi said the jury found “by clear and convincing evidence,” that Ferguson had violated Florida’s RICO statutes, and was also liable for fraud and conspiracy to commit fraud.

The jury also found that the defendants caused over US$32 million in damages to the TT, he added.

“The net effect of the verdict is that the State is the beneficiary of the trebling of damages automatically, and is also entitled to prejudgment interest of at least US$25 million. The final judgment will be well in excess of US$100 million,” Al-Rawi said.

“In the coming weeks, proceedings will be set to enter final judgment in accordance with the verdict. The State will pursue its recovery of the award in due course,” he said.

On the same day the trial started in Miami, Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, SC, discontinued one of four preliminary inquiries involving fraud and corruption charges arising out of the airport construction project.

That case – dubbed Piarco 3 – involved former prime minister Panday, his wife Oma, former government minister Carlos John and businessman Ishwar Galbaransingh. The other inquiries are still “active,” the DPP told Newsday.

Leading the team for White & Case were attorneys Raoul Cantero, managing partner of the Miami firm, James Robinson and Ryan Uloa.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 11:40:17 AM »
 No debate-  time to change the name and call it  Dr. Eric Williams Airport "@ Piarco

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 07:32:13 PM »
Why would that be necessary?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 08:40:16 PM »
Why not Basdeo Panday. He built it.