April 28, 2024, 04:38:07 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 20 - Group B: Argentina vs South Korea  (Read 9356 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
WC 2010 - Match 20 - Group B: Argentina vs South Korea
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
Argentina-Korea Republic preview

Group B's early pacesetters meet at Ellis Park knowing that a second victory could potentially seal their progress to the last 16. Argentina and Korea Republic won their respective opening games against Nigeria and Greece although both have different goals for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, with the South Americans' sights fixed firmly on a third title and the South Koreans chasing qualification for the knockout rounds for the first time beyond their own shores.

The match
Argentina-Korea Republic, Group B, Johannesburg (Ellis Park), Thursday 17 June, 13.30 (local time)

The two coaches are no strangers to each other having featured in their teams' meeting at Mexico 1986, where La Albiceleste ran out 3-1 winners. South Korean coach Hun Jung-Moo had the unenviable job of man-marking Diego Maradona that day – a thankless task for anybody in a tournament where today's Argentina coach inspired his country to their second FIFA World Cup triumph.

Twenty-four years on, they cross swords again with Huh hoping for a different outcome as he bids to become the first homegrown coach to lead Korea Republic into the last 16. Argentina are 41 places higher in the FIFA/Coca Cola World Ranking but Korea Republic have proved in the past they are more than capable of springing surprises, a fact borne out when they beat Italy and Spain to storm into last four on home soil in 2002.

Their 2-0 victory over Greece on Saturday should ensure confidence is high in the Korea Republic camp although betterin an Argentina side including the likes of Lionel Messi, Javier Mascherano and Juan Sebastian Veron is evidently a more awkward proposition. Although Maradona's men beat Nigeria by just a single goal, the victory margin would have been greater had it not been for Super Eagles goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama's brilliant Man of the Match performance.

Players to watch
Lionel Messi v Park Ji-Sung

After doing everything but score against Nigeria, Messi will hope for better luck in front of goal in his team's second outing at Ellis Park. If Messi is pivotal to Argentina's hopes, the same can be said of Park Ji-Sung, who underlined his talismanic status against Greece by sealing Korea Republic's victory with a wonderful solo strike of which Messi himself would have been proud.

The stat
4 –Argentina have reached four FIFA World Cup Finals, beating the Netherlands in 1978 and West Germany in 1986 but losing out to Uruguay in 1930 and the Germans in 1990. Korea Republic finished fourth on home soil eight years ago which remains the best-ever result by an Asian team on the world stage.

What they say
"Comparing ourselves with other teams, we have played some of the best football in the competition and created more chances than anybody else so far. Now we need to take the games as they come. We are still one of the favourites and that is why we are here – to win this World Cup," Gonzalo Higuain, Argentina forward.

"To be honest we are a little nervous heading into the match-up with Argentina as they have some of the world's best players. But we are not intimidated by their qualities and we have unwavering confidence in ourselves. They may boast Messi, but we can count on captain Park Ji-Sung to lead us to a good result," Kim Nam-Il, Korea Republic midfielder.

Voice of the fans
"Argentina is an incredibly strong team for Korea Republic. However, the game of soccer is full of possibilities and Korea is notorious for pulling magic out of thin air. This will be a fantastic game to watch," FIFA.com user Jook Yuh.

The question
Can Messi open his scoring account in South Africa? Can Korea Republic build on the promise of their opening win and create a surprise against the fancied Argentines?

giggsy11

Re: WC 2010 - Match 20 - Group B: Argentina vs South Korea
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
Diego Maradona delivers astonishing sideswipe at legends Pele and Michel Platini

By Ian Ladyman in Johannesburg

Last updated at 11:24 PM on 16th June 2010

Argentina's controversial coach Diego Maradona has made a remarkable attack on two other greats of the game, Pele and Michel
Platini, ahead of his country's second Group B game against South Korea in Johannesburg.

The former Argentina forward's reign as coach has been as notable for his tirades as it has for its results with the South Americans
labouring through qualifying against a background of controversy.
And Maradona launched a double-edged attack on legendary Brazilian striker Pele and French maestro Platini - now president of UEFA - after the former suggested he was doing his current job for the money and the latter questioned his credentials.

Divine intervention: Diego Maradona attack on Pele was in response to the Brazilian great claiming his counterpart took the top job only for money
Maradona told Pele to 'go back to the museum' and added: 'Platini? I'm not surprised. I've always had a very distant relationship with him, it's always just "Hello" and "Goodbye", nothing more.
'We all know how the French are, and Platini is French, and he believes he is better than the rest.'

Such bickering has long since been part of Maradona's character, of course. One only had to observe his erratic behaviour on the touchline as his team beat Nigeria on Saturday to see how difficult the former Argentina No 10 finds it to be part of the background.
On Wednesday he was asked about the controversial match ball. His response was designed to provoke as well as entertain and it succeeded on both counts.
'I don't want to go into the ball again because everyone is talking about it, but it is important and it does play a part and I would ask Pele and Platini to go out there and play with the ball and take a closer look at it to see if it's a good one or bad one, and to stop talking rubbish about me,' he added.
'I'm having a wonderful time to tell the truth. To me a World Cup is something that's quite amazing. I'm not worried by the fact there aren't many goals.
'I'm sure there will be goals, I'm sure the players will see to that.
'Of course in the first matches you are more careful, perhaps more careful than you should be. And of course there's the ball. It certainly isn't helping.'

Argentina unquestionably produced one of the more entertaining performances of the World Cup's first week in beating Nigeria 1-0 but one image of last Saturday's win in Johannesburg remains.

Old friends: The war of words between two of the greatest players took a new twist today
The sight of Maradona leaving the field at half-time desperately trying to cajole and advise his players as they endeavoured to ignore him appeared to say much about the relationship between one of the World Cup's great icons and the team he is now trying to inspire.
A talented and at times flamboyant team, there is a theory in South Africa this month that suggests that if the Argentinians succeed here in the coming weeks it will be despite Maradona's presence rather than because of anything he has brought his country's cause.

No risk: Injured Juan Sebastian Veron will not feature against South Korea
Having struggled through the qualifiers and with Maradona seemingly intent on waging war with some of his players, and indeed the South American media, Argentina admittedly looked in good form when they beat Nigeria courtesy of an early Gabriel Heinze goal.
Maradona suggested that he merely wants to be part of another great Argentina success, to go with the one he was part of in 1986.

'I feel capable of passing on to the players what I experienced as a footballer,' he said.
'I want to be champion and I have (Lionel) Messi, backed by a great team.'
Argentina will field the same line-up against South Korea tonight as they did for their first game, with the exception of veteran midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron, who will miss out as a precaution against a minor muscle strain.
The 35-year-old played 74 minutes of Argentina's opening match, but he has been struggling in training and he will be replaced by Liverpool's Maxi Rodriguez.
   'We don't want the injury to get worse, we don't want Veron's World Cup to end. I really need him, I need Veron,' added the coach.
At home in Argentina, Veron - formerly of Manchester United and Chelsea - is seen as one of Maradona's more trusted allies.
Another, of course, is the mercurial Messi, who appeared to have brought his Barcelona form of the back end of last season straight in to the tournament with a lively display against Nigeria.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:42:24 PM by giggsy11 »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »
Korea taking this one  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:47:35 AM »

At least we could agree on sumting!  It hurts, but I'll get over it.  ;D

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:31:23 AM »

not this rounds. People sleeping on Argentina because they only score one goal but they were very comfortable against Nigeria. Defence lil shakey but Maro doing a good job so far
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

giggsy11

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:42:31 AM »

not this rounds. People sleeping on Argentina because they only score one goal but they were very comfortable against Nigeria. Defence lil shakey but Maro doing a good job so far

As long as Higuain taking the shots Korea's job will be easier. He will once again miss a beaver of chnaces today.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 05:47:59 AM »
even S.Koreans love messi and buried his freekick...1-0 Arg
Back in Trini...

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 05:50:34 AM »
Argentina has their tactics spot on so far. They've slowed the game down and keeping possession.

I like S.Korea though, hopefully they can claw back in.
Ketch footballitis

giggsy11

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 05:51:36 AM »
F8ckin Harkes blight dey man yes!

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 05:53:47 AM »
I'm glad  S. Korea conceded.  They started the game looking like they were playing for a point, dropping everybody back and not challenging Argentina until they get into their half, very negative.  They've always been a fearless side it's disappointing to see them play like this.

Maybe now they'll try to get forward a bit.

giggsy11

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 05:55:06 AM »
If every time a Korean make contact with an Argentinian player and he goh down then I see Korea not ending the game with 11 men. Men crumplin at every touch.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 05:58:42 AM »
I remember in 86 an article sayin d Korean word 4 foul was Maradona.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

giggsy11

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 06:00:24 AM »
S K need tuh play the ball on floor when dey play it into the box; Argentina have to many tall men in defence that will eat that up.

giggsy11

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 06:03:15 AM »
Damn ah blight the Koreans; he actually scored!

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 06:03:40 AM »
2-0.

This game over, it's only a matter now of how high the score will be.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 06:05:12 AM »
How sad goal numero dos dedicated 2 capo
2-0.

ENTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 06:16:42 AM »
A keepers WC

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 06:17:14 AM »
Argentina trying to keep people interested in this game 2-1  :rotfl:

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 06:17:39 AM »
2-0.

ENTTTTTTTTT

not quite yet
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 06:21:15 AM »
football is a hell of a funny game. 45 mins to go !!!!

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 06:28:55 AM »
2-0.

ENTTTTTTTTT

not quite yet

S. Korea offering almost nothing going forward, that goal was a gift.  Unless Argentina implodes I don't see a way back them.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »
2-0.

ENTTTTTTTTT

not quite yet

Hope so but after d coach tirade disorder will b restored

giggsy11

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 06:43:16 AM »
Dem Koreans like vuvuzelas; dey buzzin!

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 06:45:41 AM »
I might have to eat my words, the Koreans have started the second half brightly.  Argetina look like that goal has rattled their defense.

As ah typing Korea almost equalize!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 06:47:55 AM »
I might have to eat my words, the Koreans have started the second half brightly.  Argetina look like that goal has rattled their defense.

The game is Argentina's if they want it.  But if they keep having mental lapses, they will give it to Korea

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 07:04:40 AM »

The game is Argentina's if they want it.  But if they keep having mental lapses, they will give it to Korea

OK. looks like they going to put it away

giggsy11

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 07:06:03 AM »
I cannot stand Higuain-I think he is an overrated fat f*ck! Lucky fat f*ck!

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 07:27:27 AM »
Quality won out today but I can see Argentina losing out to a better side.  They're fantastic going forward but very nervous defending, the Korean goal rattled them badly and I think if Korea has equalized  they would have fallen apart.

The second round will be very interesting.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:44 AM »
Korean goalkeeper was excellent  :applause:
Not convinced with Argentina defense. Dem defending shakey like
ah old man with Parkinsons. They will struggle against a quality
team unless they get it right.

Blessing Guitarez getting a second yellow
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »
I guess everybody going and jump off the Germany bamdwagon now onto the Argentina one. I hope Jai John could make room. Both teams Argentina beat are better than Australia and Argentina handle them. The only worries are defensive.

I was thinking that Tevez would have to get bench to have Maxi protect Gutierriez but it look like Maradona give Veron a rest instead. Veron have a hard time lasting 90 minutes in these games so maybe is better that they get used to finding a way to play without him.

But now Mascherano becomes more imoprtant and they have nobody in the squad to replace him if he pick up some cards.

I just hope that Maradona doesn't make too many changes for the Greece game and kill the rythm.

I should add though that in the friendly against Germany Argentina had success with 4 centre-backs in defence. They look good and Maradona said he would stick with it but the worry was that they get nothing from the wing-backs. Recently he switch to Gutierrez and Maxi and then even get more attacking with Gutierrez and Tevez. I could see Otamendi starting the next game for sure.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:41:05 AM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>