April 28, 2024, 05:12:30 AM

Author Topic: Has Football Died in T&T?  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Has Football Died in T&T?
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:43:27 PM »
I remember this board being vibrant even when we were losing in the early 2000s and in late 99', the old board was kicking. real talk, real analysis and discussion, an occasional death threat here and there  :devil:

But it seems like the life of our football back home has died, everyone getting wrap up in cricket and track, people talk more about the epl and champions league than pfl or national football.

Now with JW in govt, will more money be put into the football? will latas stay on as coach, will we see more talent come up through the ranks?

right now the youths are seeing players like pollard, barath and bravo making millions in cricket and our footballers struggling to beat a local pfl side. On occasion we get news of hyland or another player being chased after but i really think this is the worst state ive seen the board in ever.

IMO we need a new head coach, asst coaches, TD, a new manager, a trainer/physio, sports psychologist and a new vision. We should start grooming the best youths from now for the sr team and getting them friendlies in prep for 2014. Forget about the foreign based, go with a local team that is training together all the time but with a good foreign coach who has the time and patience to develop and work with these players. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:45:53 PM by Controversial »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Has Football Died in T&T?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »
If it eh dead it on life support and family members debating whether 2 pull d plug. Lets just say if it was not 4 dis MB D SW would be in d same as d WI. I does barely know when dey have a game. I cyah even tell yuh where d 3rd test playin.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:55:40 PM »
I remember this board being vibrant even when we were losing in the early 2000s and in late 99', the old board was kicking. real talk, real analysis and discussion, an occasional death threat here and there  :devil:

But it seems like the life of our football back home has died, everyone getting wrap up in cricket and track, people talk more about the epl and champions league than pfl or national football.

Now with JW in govt, will more money be put into the football? will latas stay on as coach, will we see more talent come up through the ranks?

right now the youths are seeing players like pollard, barath and bravo making millions in cricket and our footballers struggling to beat a local pfl side. On occasion we get news of hyland or another player being chased after but i really think this is the worst state ive seen the board in ever.

IMO we need a new head coach, asst coaches, TD, a new manager, a trainer/physio, sports psychologist and a new vision. We should start grooming the best youths from now for the sr team and getting them friendlies in prep for 2014. Forget about the foreign based, go with a local team that is training together all the time but with a good foreign coach who has the time and patience to develop and work with these players. 

You should put that question to jack.

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
doesnt help when your ranked 95th
9th on concacaf, after playing in the previous world cup.
Canada & haiti in ranked higher  :-\

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:02:43 PM »
im asking the fans, jw is in govt, he has that to deal with, latas loving his new wuk but isnt the right man for it, sadly to say, he should be asst coach and get experience under a big name coach for another 5 years or more.

right now i watch more of everything else than football, the world cup i boring but at the same time, my nation isnt there so it doesnt really interest me like 4 years ago or in the past. tt football has left a sour taste in many supporters mouths, this in effect is the worst i have seen this board.

in fact, the general discussion is better than the football discussion, that has never been the case

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »
Bud everybody posting in the new world cup boards .Thats where everybody is lol.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:31 AM »
To answer your question : Yes ! since in the mid 1960's
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:09:01 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »
Bud everybody posting in the new world cup boards .Thats where everybody is lol.

lol me too
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 05:56:44 AM »
We Appointed a magician as coach so let us wait until this World cup is over and then you will see a RESURRECTION of this team.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:19 AM »
No
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:33 AM »
To answer your question : Yes ! since in the mid 1960's

I would not say so. We must distinguish between club and national teams. Fan interest in club footbal  is close to dead or on life support as one of we forumites said. Before and when I played in the mid-70's, the support was excellent. When ASL and Suite and the other "pro"-teams started the semi-pro league in the 80's, fan interest were even greater. But as you know when football was hijacked, the clubs were stifled and many of them fell apart. What happen is a lot of football clubs formed hot and sweatie and then fall apart 5 yrs after. This went on for a good ten yrs, how do you expect fans to gravitate towards a "side" when there is a  perception that it will fall apart just now. That was the downward spiral of TT football.

The national team is a bit different. We have WC to look forward every 4 years and that is when fan interest is revived. That is bad for football. What about the rest of the year when the clubs are playing. I can bet you ah 1000 dollars 1/2 of TT can't even name some of the teams in TT. They can name almost all the teams in the EPL. Only minor league footbal has kept the crowd in the game. The standard is not great, but the atmosphere is excellent.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:02:47 AM »
Yeah it dead, JW hung it.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »
yu asking answers or what
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
We Appointed a magician as coach so let us wait until this World cup is over and then you will see a RESURRECTION of this team.

thats been said many times. but it never comes to fruitition, unless some drasti changes are made, people will stay away this time around. like i said the board has changed alot from before.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 10:35:20 AM »

if you were here from marc purcells time to now, you would understand what i mean, after the world cup it has been downhill for tt football, but alot of people are afraid to admit it. right now the spirit, the vibe is dying a natural death bc the life of our football has been drained and only drastic changes can turn it around

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:50 AM »
the  2007 Blacklist killed it for me. The paying off by the US in 1989 for their 1994 bid did it for my Dad.  If we cyah vote out Camps and Jack, it eh have no much hope that bad things will repeat itself.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 02:04:40 PM »
the  2007 Blacklist killed it for me. The paying off by the US in 1989 for their 1994 bid did it for my Dad.  If we cyah vote out Camps and Jack, it eh have no much hope that bad things will repeat itself.

the only way another person will run the ttff is if you have the capital to invest in the program, it is up to the private sector to step in if they want to. no one has put up their hand to unseat camps, no one has stepped forward to say, i will fund tt football and take it to the next level.

this is the only reason tt football hasnt changed, bc no one has stepped up to say i will bankroll the ttff and restructure it to make sure tt is qualifying every world cup. it takes money and time and the right plan to take over an admin and run it properly. plus it also has major risks, from what i have seen, no investors want to take the risk, even if jw was gone.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:07:12 PM by Controversial »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 05:53:50 AM »

The United States was chosen as hosts by FIFA on 4 July 1988. I'm not in the business of defending AJW, but that accusation is unfounded.  :beermug:

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 06:13:01 AM »

So the strike squad get paid off too?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 06:22:18 AM »
The problem with T&T football is we have to many old heads in it and no one have the vision and desire to take us up a level.

No fresh ideas.

We rely on one person and when he is taken away because of politics our football suffers, not to mention, no one have the balls to stop this person.

Our players attitudes are also a major concern, they reach before they even kick a ball internationally.

The people incharge of our league is trying more now, but they need to try harder and get international teams to visit our country on preseason as our clubs will benefit greatly.

Our under 20 team was our brightest team in a long time, they to have diserpeared.

What gets me is, Jack Warner, if he have no desire or love for T&T football, or he trying to prove a point why kill our football ? maybe because he wants to look like the good guy and without him we will suffer after... he bury us.

Our federation let players slip by and then call them when another country give them a cap. Backward. !!!

I think Russell Latapy will take us to the 2080 World Cup the rate he coaching. Slow, lack ideas, no real mantel, no balls, etc etc. I think he is working for free, that have to be the only explanation for his lack and shameless desire.

There is so many problems with T&T football, it will take us years to fix.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »
The problem with T&T football is we have to many old heads in it and no one have the vision and desire to take us up a level.

No fresh ideas.

We rely on one person and when he is taken away because of politics our football suffers, not to mention, no one have the balls to stop this person.

Our players attitudes are also a major concern, they reach before they even kick a ball internationally.

The people incharge of our league is trying more now, but they need to try harder and get international teams to visit our country on preseason as our clubs will benefit greatly.

Our under 20 team was our brightest team in a long time, they to have diserpeared.

What gets me is, Jack Warner, if he have no desire or love for T&T football, or he trying to prove a point why kill our football ? maybe because he wants to look like the good guy and without him we will suffer after... he bury us.

Our federation let players slip by and then call them when another country give them a cap. Backward. !!!

I think Russell Latapy will take us to the 2080 World Cup the rate he coaching. Slow, lack ideas, no real mantel, no balls, etc etc. I think he is working for free, that have to be the only explanation for his lack and shameless desire.

with the right people in charge breds, it will take one year to fix and alot of people know that, what i am interested in is how many votes the regional associations get for the ttff election and how it works, bc over the years i have heard so many different things

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
No it ent.

What going on in Football is going on in most aspects of public and private sectors in T&T.  Some just better than others but none ent running smooth smooth.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
Sam,
 You say, We rely on one person. Well If WE had a choice or a way of dismantling the TTFF, We would have done that a long time ago. Knowing all the things you know about the TTFF, how will you go about changing the federation?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »

No fresh ideas.

one question sam, how many votes do the regional associations get for the ttff election? the national team playing abroad would generate more revenues than at home, unless you are bringing a high priced football club

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »
nah football isnt dead but men like bleeders and latas selection for me kills it.

I have never been more ashamed of Trinidad football and what a disgraceful way to give a legend like Latapy a job he has no clue about with no experience since our budget doesnt allow us to get a decent tactician.

The blacklist didn't help but we were still in good shape for the big six, we lacked beleif in the men around us and the backline was exploited and always in doubt which eventually lead us letting in the most goals of the big six.

Few notable mistakes by latas, using Carlos as a winger is a good option but not when we dont have experienced Right back, he should of played in that position and over lap like in the wc 06. Trent and Baptiste should of been our starters, avery john should of been in the squad from start and KJ should of played on the wing infront of carlos not as a lone striker.

Anyways its all done and dusted, there is so many mistakes but the main thing for me was the hustling of our midfield too many times we lorse the ball and watch it go into our net without fighting back for it, loose marking didnt help and the star mentality of our talented UK players didnt help.

Another big thing about tnt team is after we score we turn off completely
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:04:43 PM by sHOTTA12 »

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 03:04:07 PM »
Football ain't dead. Tons of youths and adults are playing football; as long as that continues, there will always a crop of players out there. Let's not get carried away with the negativity. Once there's interest in the sport, there's always a potential for the management and professional developmental issues to be sorted out.

We must distinguish between professional development and a dying sport. One could argue that Cricket is getting closer to dying, despite renewed interest in T20, due to declining numbers playing the game across T&T.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »
Football ain't dead. Tons of youths and adults are playing football; as long as that continues, there will always a crop of players out there. Let's not get carried away with the negativity. Once there's interest in the sport, there's always a potential for the management and professional developmental issues to be sorted out.

We must distinguish between professional development and a dying sport. One could argue that Cricket is getting closer to dying, despite renewed interest in T20, due to declining numbers playing the game across T&T.

i disagree strongly, once we do not have an admin that has a solid plan and the local league is struggling, we dont have a way forward. the pfl is poorly run and our national team is in shambles. as for cricket, more youths are playing cricket and we have the best youth program in the caribbean, actually the western hemisphere.

not to mention, after the 20/20 alot more kids are realizing the bigger monetary gains in cricket than football. a steady revenue stream must be maintained in order for us to achieve a world cup appearance again.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »
DED = DEAD

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 12:40:38 AM »

also keep in mind that by 2020, 20/20 will be one of the biggest sports played around the world, and it will be breaking thru in the US also, in a league format

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
It's intersting that someone should ask this question,there are many indications to feel Football is dieing or has died in T&T,if you know a little bit of our history you will understand what i'm talking about eg

Where are the Minor leagues,it used to have Minor Leagues all over the country and most are dead,that's where all the best players we have produced came from.What people don't understand is i'm not saying Minor League Football is good but it's an opportunity for everybody to play and enjoy the game.(more players)

When you walk the streets of T&T and no one recognizes you,Football gone through.

When no one goes to see Minor League/Club/International Football,it gone through

When peopl like Jennings and Lasana can go all out to discredit our Football all over the world,it gone through

When we can't keep a steady Coach od administrator,it gone through

When you have a website that's very critical of our Football,nothig positive to say or contribute,it gone through

I can go on but i'll stop here,i hope you all get my trend,most of you just see our national team but i look at Football in T&T and if Football in the country is chaotic you will also have a chaotic national team.           

1]; } ?>