March 28, 2024, 12:37:23 PM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 36 - Group B: Greece vs Argentina  (Read 5303 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WC 2010 - Match 36 - Group B: Greece vs Argentina
« on: June 22, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »
Greece-Argentina preview

It's hard to know which of these two sides will be happier given the way they performed in their last Group B outings. Greece stunned Nigeria, coming from a goal behind to claim a vital victory, this after many had written off their chances. Diego Maradona's Argentina, for their part, were breathtaking at times in their 4-1 demolition of Korea Republic. The South Americans look odds-on to qualify as group winners, but the race for second place is wide open, with Otto Rehhagel's side hoping to pip Korea Republic to the prize.

The match
Greece-Argentina, Peter Mokaba Stadium, Polokwane, Tuesday 22 June, 20.30 (local time)

It has been a near-perfect start for Argentina, who have taken the maximum six points from their opening two games, conceding just once in the process. The South Americans were guilty of one lapse in concentration against the South Koreans, but Diego Maradona's side remain arguably the most eye-catching side at South Africa 2010, thanks to their free-flowing attacking style. To the delight of purists, Lionel Messi has been in inspirational form so far, and while Gonzalo Higuain may top the scoring charts, it is the little Barcelona playmaker leading the way when it comes to testing opponent's defences, with 15 shots already to his name.

Greece have not enjoyed as flawless a start, but their unexpected defeat of Nigeria in Bloemfontein last Thursday has put them firmly in the fight for second place. Prior to that, the 2004 European champions had never scored a FIFA World Cup goal, let alone won a match at the tournament, so coach Rehhagel will barely need to deliver a team-talk in Polokwane. To that end, the Southern Europeans will look to keep it simple against the two-time world champions. Greek scorer Torosidis declared after the win against Nigeria: "I don't care what happens now. I'm just delighted for the team, and for the fans who never stopped believing in us." And that release of pressure could prove to be their most dangerous weapon.

Players to watch
Gonzalo Higuain v Georgios Samaras

Gonzalo Higuain is riding high, having claimed the first hat-trick of the tournament, and the first FIFA World Cup treble in eight years, against Korea Republic. It was a display that earned him the Budweiser Man of the Match Award, so the Real Madrid star heads into this game brimming with confidence and doubtless with one eye already on the adidas Golden Boot. His eight shots on target so far dwarfs the two of Celtic striker Georgios Samaras, who is yet to get off the mark in South Africa 2010. However, Samaras made a significant impact after coming off the bench against the Super Eagles, stretching the Africans' defence with his pace and powerful running and causing problems in the air. The Celtic striker will now look to join team-mates Dimitrios Salpingidis and Vasileios Torosidis in the goalscoring charts by finding the net against Argentina.

The stat
404 - the number of minutes Greece had gone without a FIFA World Cup goal before Dimitrios Salpingidis's 44th-minute strike against Nigeria.

What they said
"Argentina are world-class, they're clearly better than us. We still have a chance, but it'll be very hard. We're the underdogs against Argentina, that's for sure, but we'll give it our best shot. For now, we'll just enjoy the fact we've beaten Nigeria," Otto Rehhagel, Greece coach.

"Argentina are a team who go forward. We have good players, attacking players. We must go out on the attack and show our class. We must get forward and put our opponents under pressure," Carlos Tevez, Argentina forward.

Voice of the fans
"I think Argentina is a powerful group. With Maradona as their coach they will get a chance... As long as they dont lose their focus this is going to be great." FIFA.com user Askachan (Puerto Rico)

The question
Will Greece be able to subdue an Argentina side that has scored five goals in their opening two games?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:16:40 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 36 - Group B: Greece vs Argentina
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:26 AM »
Argies win
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »
If Argentina loss this I will be so pissed.

I want them beat them bad and let Nigeria and South Korea settle they own fate in the head to head.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
Read an amazing fact this morning...no Argentine #10 has scored a goal for 12 years (and the last one was against Jamaica, which hardly counts).

Will Messi be jinxed?  ;)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »
Argentina is just a goal away from blowing this one out. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »
Messi wid some nice touches and cut backs. Had a shot tipped over the bar towards the end.

All Argentina at the moment.

Més que un club.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »
Messi playing like when a big baller come fuh ah small sweat. Just happy knocking and every now and then decide to show a bit of his skills. Imagine 7 different starters and Greece stiil ketching dey ass to play. Dam! Argentina have talent.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »
Messi playing like when a big baller come fuh ah small sweat. Just happy knocking and every now and then decide to show a bit of his skills. Imagine 7 different starters and Greece stiil ketching dey ass to play. Dam! Argentina have talent.

i remember real men were blasting maradonna but i fine argentina looking better than brazil right now, but i will wait and see, i have been disappointed on to many occasions by argentina to get my hopes to high

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 02:16:05 PM »
fete match  :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:16:20 PM »
Argentina playing small goal football now  lol

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »
Here nah Pastore sweet too bad. The man come on and knocking in  a Socrates style. He start to pass the ball with precision and penetration.

PS: Veron struggle today, far to many wayward passes

Dam Argentina look good :applause: :applause:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 02:23:52 PM »

i remember real men were blasting maradonna but i fine argentina looking better than brazil right now, but i will wait and see, i have been disappointed on to many occasions by argentina to get my hopes to high

Doh forget Copa America 2007
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
Argentina wins and Martin Palermo scores...allyuh make way for Jai John. 

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 02:45:53 PM »
Here nah Pastore sweet too bad. The man come on and knocking in  a Socrates style. He start to pass the ball with precision and penetration.

Argentina wasn't challenged.  They were given tons of room by a team that allowed them space to do whatever they wanted until they got to right outside the 18.  No doubt they are a team that is stacked with talent, and obviously they will contend for the big prize, but I don't think today's game gives a good impression of what they're really capable of. 

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »

Doh forget Copa America 2007

havent forgotten breds, but argentina had to go thru a transition some time or the other, maradona was new, just as dunga was new and was heavily critisized. maradonna took over in 2008 and they struggled towards the end of world cup qualifying, now they are gelling as a team and they believe in maradona.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »
Argentina will not make the quarter finals

And there will be great weeping and wailing and gnashing of teet

But fret not for those without teet like jai john dem.....

Shall be provided so that they can gnash right along with the rest and not feel left out!  :devil:

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »

You, sir, are a hater...Veron was excellent today.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Palos like dem G class horse ...best left alone ! I know he quaking in he boots now ...ha ha ha . Is champagne we serving here in South Africa . Some folks kyah appreciate the finer things in life ...cobeaux doh eat sponge cake  ;D
I hope allyuh notice Pastore ....when last you see ah sub come on late in ah game and fit right een ?
After the game Diego said ... now we going full force ..is live or die from now on ...dem reporters want to know who playing next game ...all this from ah Dunce right Palos ?
Jogo Bonito from now on ..dais why I does back my side all de time ..win lose or draw . We made a game when most teams would have sat back and played out the time . Greece did not come to play football but we still tried to entertain the fans ....
In the age where winning is all that matters it is good to see Argentina playing the way they do ...Diego changed the mold as a player and he is doing pretty much the same here as coach ....

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 04:38:58 PM »
Dis Cup I am carrying Argentina for the first time ever.

However, Brazil looks far more balanced and dangerous. They still have a spark of creativity, but dem have the 2 velociraptors in the midfield, Melo and Silva that strip the ball off all comers and pass immediately to the attacking players.

Alan Hansen on BBC did a very good analysis/focus on them in the IVC match and they were EXTREMELY effective and thus the side is highly efficient in how roles are defined. They attack in pairs and with the other linkmen, they always forma a triangle around opposing players with the ball.

Brazil has a plan!

Argentina and Spain are playing jogo bonito, but Spain has lost the clinical finishing of 2 years ago (I hope Torres finds his touch fast) and Argentins' back line is a bit shelly.

The 2 wingbacks today were better than the usual starters and Di maria is a revelation! Pastore is also very capable. Bolatti and Maxi can go sit down and Veron can pass, but he looks slow and tired!

Stil, ARGENTINA CAMPEON!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
I hope allyuh notice Pastore ....when last you see ah sub come on late in ah game and fit right een ?

Ahmmm.....Cacao for Germany in their first game.  He actually scored a goal.

As recently as earlier in de first match, Malouda came off the bench for France and did what Pastore could not do.

Or Messi for that matter.  Allyuh so jes have selective memory.  ::)

We made a game when most teams would have sat back and played out the time . Greece did not come to play football but we still tried to entertain the fans ....
So Uruguay had already qualified today.  They didn't need to play hard against the Mexicans but they did and came out victorious.  But lissenin to you, Argentina have a patent on not sitting back right ::)

In the age where winning is all that matters it is good to see Argentina playing the way they do ...Diego changed the mold as a player and he is doing pretty much the same here as coach ....
Obviously you haven't seen Chile or Paraguay play.

Nah....you obviously haven't.  Yuh head stick too far up inside Maradona ample batty to see anyting else  :devil:

Enjoy it while you can though.  It eh lastin long.  AS USUAL!  8)

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »

Ahmmm.....Cacao for Germany in their first game.  He actually scored a goal.

As recently as earlier in de first match, Malouda came off the bench for France and did what Pastore could not do.

Or Messi for that matter.  Allyuh so jes have selective memory.  ::)

We made a game when most teams would have sat back and played out the time . Greece did not come to play football but we still tried to entertain the fans ....
So Uruguay had already qualified today.  They didn't need to play hard against the Mexicans but they did and came out victorious.  But lissenin to you, Argentina have a patent on not sitting back right ::)

Obviously you haven't seen Chile or Paraguay play.

Nah....you obviously haven't.  Yuh head stick too far up inside Maradona ample batty to see anyting else  :devil:

Enjoy it while you can though.  It eh lastin long.  AS USUAL!  8)

So easy to get maniucou out dey hole ..now you outside ... You comparing Cacao against Australia with Pastore against Greece who were intent on blacking up whole game ? If was cricket ah woudda give you some pips ..but is football .. you dont quote stats against teams that have no history in the sport. dais why when you beat Brazil, Italy, germany, uruguay  and argentina you could boast.
Mexico came to play football ...so did Uruguay .. You know why ?? the winner would avoid Argentina ! its not the same is it ? Argentina could have gotten the same result by playing out a draw . Mexico and uruguay were not in the same position as argentina ..in fact a mathematical calculation could have put one of them out if South Africa had beaten France by a wide margin.
The argument I made above is the same for Malouda against South Africa ..another cricket side ... Messi's contribution to Argentina's effort has been lost on you so far ...but I know you will appreciate it as the tournament goes on ..I still keeping ah place for you on the ship .......
If you continue in this vein however I go give way yuh seat  :devil:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
defense is suspect
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 05:13:07 PM »
defense is suspect

true dat ! But Argentina won a world cup with Pompido probably the worst of all their goalkeepers . Brazil won as well with defenses that gave up goals ... funny how de argument doh work for dem . When Brazil lost 3-2 to Italy with what many say was their best ever team they blamed Serginho , a forward player ...yet the defense conceded 3 goals !
When a team has so much firepower they always feel they can outscore any other . Isn't that what was said about Brazil in the past ? ..rather than the defense was weak ?
The Argentina defense might give up goals ...only one so far though ...but the return from the forward line is more of a concern to me right now ..we should have had about 15 in the bag so far ...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »

Agreed, my boy Veron was pulling the strings in midfield like a conductor at the orchestra.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
defense is suspect

true dat ! But Argentina won a world cup with Pompido probably the worst of all their goalkeepers . Brazil won as well with defenses that gave up goals ... funny how de argument doh work for dem . When Brazil lost 3-2 to Italy with what many say was their best ever team they blamed Serginho , a forward player ...yet the defense conceded 3 goals !
When a team has so much firepower they always feel they can outscore any other . Isn't that what was said about Brazil in the past ? ..rather than the defense was weak ?
The Argentina defense might give up goals ...only one so far though ...but the return from the forward line is more of a concern to me right now ..we should have had about 15 in the bag so far ...

Which WC's were those? Check goals against for Argentina 86 or Brazil 94, 2002
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 08:06:25 PM »
defense is suspect

Which WC's were those? Check goals against for Argentina 86 or Brazil 94, 2002
you lost me here ???

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »

Agreed, my boy Veron was pulling the strings in midfield like a conductor at the orchestra.

Throughout this WC I wonder what games people watching. People were criticizing Veron unfairly after the 1st game too. Veron only problem is that he lacking the gas to do it at high intensity for 90 minutes. He will flag against a team like Brazil or Spain but what he is doing when he is on the field so far has been excellent.

Pastore is the perfect back-up for him though, so Argentina have a good arrangement with them two.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 08:23:33 PM »
defense is suspect

...people lay some blame at Serginho's feet because he missed so many easy chances that would have padded Brazil's goal average and would have meant italy would have needed to have scored more and more goals to qualify ahead of Brazil.  Brazil only needed to draw with italy to have advanced. Defensive errors and poor goalkeeping conceded the goals, yes, but Serginho also had some SITTERS!!!....that he missed.....that would have made a difference   

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »

Throughout this WC I wonder what games people watching. People were criticizing Veron unfairly after the 1st game too. Veron only problem is that he lacking the gas to do it at high intensity for 90 minutes. He will flag against a team like Brazil or Spain but what he is doing when he is on the field so far has been excellent.

Pastore is the perfect back-up for him though, so Argentina have a good arrangement with them two.

Hope people realise another Argentinian talent in Pastore. he is so comfortable on the ball at speed ...at 21 he could be the new Riquelme !!! A good passer as well ....way look what I just found ....

Real fail with Pastore approach

22 Jun 2010 - 16:19:58

Real fail with Pastore approach

Real Madrid have failed with a 25million euro approach to Palermo for attacking midfielder Javier Pastore.

The Argentina international is wanted at the Santiago Bernabeu by new Madrid coach Jose Mourinho.

However, Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has signalled his intention to fight for a player who is currently away on international duty at the World Cup in South Africa.

The 21-year-old starlet joined the Serie A club from Argentinian side Huracan last summer and made 34 appearances during his first season in Italy.

"Real had made a 25million offer but I rejected it," revealed Zamparini.

"I hope Pastore can stay with us for at least two more years.

"In future it will be hard to keep him at Palermo. But for now he is not for sale at any price."

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 08:29:30 PM »
defense is suspect

...people lay some blame at Serginho's feet because he missed so many easy chances that would have padded Brazil's goal average and would have meant italy would have needed to have scored more and more goals to qualify ahead of Brazil.  Brazil only needed to draw with italy to have advanced. Defensive errors and poor goalkeeping conceded the goals, yes, but Serginho also had some SITTERS!!!....that he missed.....that would have made a difference   
that story grew with mauvais langue ..go and watch the game again see if you can find all dem " easy chances that he missed "  rather what you might see is atrocious defending which lead to their downfall. No chance that serginho had was more glaring than the bad square pass of Cerezo to gift Rossi a goal. Also check Serginho's goalscoring record ...there were a lot worse than him ..but he was the scapegoat.

1]; } ?>