March 28, 2024, 12:07:21 PM

Author Topic: FIFA favoring bigger nations, says Aussie Kewell  (Read 1811 times)

Dumplingdinho

FIFA favoring bigger nations, says Aussie Kewell
« on: June 26, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
MELBOURNE (Reuters) - World governing body FIFA are allowing players from bigger soccer nations to get away with infringements on the pitch that smaller nations’ players get punished for, Australia forward Harry Kewell has said.

Kewell, who was controversially sent off in the Socceroos’ 1-1 draw with Ghana at the World Cup for a handball on the goal line, said other teams were getting away with far worse at the tournament in South Africa. “What are FIFA doing about it when teams like us are getting hammered and the bigger teams don’t?” Kewell told Australian media Sunday. “We’ve been told to play the game fair and I think we do.

“Nothing against the bigger teams but they’re allowed to do it because of who and what they are.”

Australia failed to make it out of the group phase at the tournament after a 4-0 drubbing at the hands of Germany, in which Tim Cahill was sent off for a tackle that his opponent felt was unworthy of a red card. The Socceroos beat Serbia 2-1 in their final game, but were eliminated on goal difference.

Kewell, whose total World Cup contribution was 24 minutes against Ghana before he was sent off, added that players from the biggers teams were not getting punished for diving at the tournament.

Italy’s Daniele de Rossi was pilloried by New Zealand media after his dive earned a penalty for the world champions in their 1-1 draw with the All Whites, while Kewell said a dive by Serbia’s Milos Krasic in their game had also gone unpunished.

“We were told simulation should be a yellow card—but where was the card?” Kewell added.

“I’m not having a go at him (Krasic), he tried to get a penalty for his team; but it went unpunished,” he said.

(Writing by Greg Stutchbury in Wellington; Editing by Ian Ransom)

Dumplingdinho

Re: FIFA favoring bigger nations, says Aussie Kewell
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »
i does really wonder sometimes....correct mih if i wrong but spain eh get a yellow card in dis world cup...u tell me 270 minutes of football and dem eh put down at least 1 bad tackle....even i cant do that on XBOX.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
Aussies got robbed period
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:23:17 PM »
He makes a good point......first five minutes or so of the portugal-Ivory Coast game where cronaldo put down two obvious and shameful dives, one of which earned an Ivorian a yellow.  Rel shameful on fifa part.  I find they should start implementing retroactive punishment for certain offenses....like diving. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »
Dog bites man.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
Dog bites man.
At the corner of main street, the report said the dog had rabies, but as we have heard the man just wanted to have fun
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »
i does really wonder sometimes....correct mih if i wrong but spain eh get a yellow card in dis world cup...u tell me 270 minutes of football and dem eh put down at least 1 bad tackle....even i cant do that on XBOX.
esp when Villa frank omen slapped a honduras player.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>