April 16, 2024, 07:09:29 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 55 - Round of 16: Paraguay vs Japan  (Read 10333 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 55 - Round of 16: Paraguay vs Japan
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »

They are not racist they are xenophobic... there's a difference. 

In some cases there is very little if no difference (unless the focus is strictly on terminology), especially in a county where aren't many different ethnic groups....not sure what the ethnic breakdown of Japan is though. 

xenophobia and racism can also have a cause and effect kinda relationship...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if there's a cause and effect... the two are not the same.

Xenophobia by definition is a fear of "strangers"... in this case non-Japanese.  As was properly pointed out, the situation with Japan is that for centuries it was a very insular and homogenic society until it was forced to open up it's borders, literally at gunpoint, by Commodore Perry.  More than a hundred years later the Japanese are still adapting from their insular customs.  If theirs was a problem of hating specific races, then the charge of "racism" may have some credence.  Racism is often born of ignorance; but not every instance of "ignorance" rises to the level of racism.  Many of the discriminatory behavior we ascribe to the Japanese are manifestations of their ignorance and unfamiliarity with dealing with people of color... rather than a product of that interaction.

That said, to a minor degree some of the discrimination/negative behavior IS in fact a product of their interactions with blacks... particularly the criminality of black sailors stationed on Okinawa.  The brutal gang-rape of a 14-year old girl a decade ago in particular caused many Japanese to look at blacks negatively... but I'm not sure how widespread this situation is. My personal sense is that it's fairly limited in scope.

The cause and effect point was additive.

What you're saying is along the same lines of what I'm saying... You're talking definitions..As I said, unless you're dealing with strict terminology, there is very little difference.  Their manifestations (and effects) in many instances are the same.  If discrimination against me denies me an opportunity or makes me feel socially alienated who cares if it's because of my skin color, or because I'm foreign, especially when the identification of one triggers realization of the other... 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2010, 08:31:09 PM »
The cause and effect point was additive.

What you're saying is along the same lines of what I'm saying... You're talking definitions..As I said, unless you're dealing with strict terminology, there is very little difference.  Their manifestations (and effects) in many instances are the same.  If discrimination against me denies me an opportunity or makes me feel socially alienated who cares if it's because of my skin color, or because I'm foreign, especially when the identification of one triggers realization of the other... 

It makes a difference... in my mind at least... xenophobia can more easily be overcome by establishing familiarity.  Racism tends to be much deeper-rooted and more pernicious.  There is little chance at familiarity because "they" don't want to get to know you because of their beliefs about who you are.  Xenophobia again is often the product of ignorance... not ignorance in the colloquial sense, but ignorance as in "not knowing much about" the outsiders.

Racism is often born not only of ignorance but misinformation... so whereas simple curiousity might cure xenophobia, eradicating racism requires a sort of deprogramming to rid oneself of the negative perceptions.  This of course is no hard and fast paradigm... simple familiarity may 'cure' some racism... and in some cases deep-rooted hostility to foreigners might require some deprogramming as well.  But by and large it is my belief, without more... that racism tends to be more deeply-rooted because of the misinformation about others on account of their skin color.  The way the negative feelings borne of racism plays out is very likely more harsh than those that arise from xenophobia.  But this is all academic...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:32:54 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
i did some research on racism in japan. and yes they are racist but not to just blacks. they are racist towards those from the west in general, doesnt matter what skin color you have. they're very ethnocentric you could say. they just like staying within themselves.

They are not racist they are xenophobic... there's a difference.  Even so that is changing, in the late 80s then Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone (I can never forget his name) made some unfortunate comments blaming the ills of American society on its heterogenous make-up... he specifically mentioned the presence on blacks and hispanics. The Japanese were scandalized and he was forced to resign in shame. This may or may not have reflected what many Japanese thought at the time, but since then they have fought to erase this perception.

Not saying the following is a part of that effort, but it's interesting to note the Japanese embrace of black music (Jazz, RnB, Reggae, Soca etc.) and see just how that flies in the face of the "racism" talk.

i was going to mention that. they love reggae especially. ive seen videos where mr vegas performing in a stadium and de whole place ram out.

theres also a african american baseball player there playing in the japanese professional league. i dont remember his name. but he's a real big star there and the japanese love him.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »
i was going to mention that. they love reggae especially. ive seen videos where mr vegas performing in a stadium and de whole place ram out.

theres also a african american baseball player there playing in the japanese professional league. i dont remember his name. but he's a real big star there and the japanese love him.

There are a bunch of them... a lot of big name players go there in the twilight of their careers b/c the level of competition is often better than what you can find in the caribbean (Puerto Rico and the Dominican), plus the money is pretty good.  Baseball is huge in Japan, as is the corporate revenue supporting it.

As for the music... reggae huge... but Jazz even huger.  The biggest market for jazz music, and best tour gigs are in Japan... even bigger than here in the US.

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »

There are a bunch of them... a lot of big name players go there in the twilight of their careers b/c the level of competition is often better than what you can find in the caribbean (Puerto Rico and the Dominican), plus the money is pretty good.  Baseball is huge in Japan, as is the corporate revenue supporting it.

As for the music... reggae huge... but Jazz even huger.  The biggest market for jazz music, and best tour gigs are in Japan... even bigger than here in the US.

yea i know theres a good number of talent in the japanese league. i think each team is limited to 2 or 3 foreigners per team though. i pointed out this one guy because he was the only one to nearly break the home run record in a season.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
yea i know theres a good number of talent in the japanese league. i think each team is limited to 2 or 3 foreigners per team though. i pointed out this one guy because he was the only one to nearly break the home run record in a season.

Oh okay... didn't know they had a foreign player quota too. Makes sense, in order to develop local Japanese talent... which is plentiful, given how many are now playing here in the US.

Not to hijack the people thread in yet another direction... lol

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 11:04:49 PM »
i only know japanese, korean and chinese people from here in the US.

Granted its not really a good reference point, my experience with them is that out of all these three, japanese are the most genuine, comfortable and open when it come to interfacing with me and the ones with the least hang ups. I find that the koreans are extremely cliquish and unwilling to step out of their comfort zones unless u really get to know them and still even if they open up, they hesitant to bring you around their friends. Then, I does get real subtle vibes from the chinese friends i have that does tell me that deep down they have some subconscious issues or notions about black people even if they not even aware of it.

I observe the way they interact with me as compared to other asians or white people and i notice the little differences (and i talking about really close friends here) and a few times i even had to pull them up on borderline outta timing comments or behavior. On the other hand, I find the japanese dont move the same way, i dont pick up the same signals at all in fact they real open to rolling with people from anywhere.

I have a pardner who was living in Japan teaching years ago, and well he only have good things to say (he real like heself) even though he did mention the issues he encountered that i would class as xenophobia and not racism.

anyway, thats my personal experience which i not willing to project on a whole population because a next man might have a whole different story to tell and imo you cant really know until you experience that for yourself.

PS: If that Japanese keeper had hold his position in the PK shootout and stop guessing he woulda save some of them shots. All them Paraguayan men just wait for him to dive and pass the ball in the goal.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2010, 12:42:48 AM »
You could stuepss until yuh lips buss, that won't change ah thing! so BC your sister lived there incident free means the place checked out? it have ppl who lived in the middle of apartheid and never had any negative experiences, don't mean the seweto murders riots  didn't happened.

i never been tuh japan, but i know nuff bredders who did, and their experience was awful, even i thought japan was ah cool scene until they let me in on it. 

ah sure yuh sister never had ah white woman grab she pocket book when she entered and elevator here in the U.S. or some white man scrambling tuh look his car door when she passed by either, but that happening here every day in north america tuh black man , even the ones who look clean cut in expensive designer suits.

i know one thing, my fren dem is big man and they doh have ah damn thing tuh gain by lying about the japs and their nasty behavior towards black ppl.

And I know and interact with nuff Japanese, some for the first time and found nothing strange, odd or unsual about the interaction.  I found them interesting, INTERESTED, engaged and curious to learn.  Old attitudes are changing, my sense is that your perception is one founded on past experiences... of OTHERS, not even first-hand experiences.  Yet you comfortable denouncing the Japanese as racist.  Maybe you should wait until you have some first-hand knowledge?
Information is power!  i don't need 1st hand info or personal experience tuh conclude on an issue, you know very well that the world don't work that way.

if that was the case then we should all just stop reading the papers, magazines and watching or listening to the news BC after all, it's 2nd 3rd hand info, so where do we draw the line?

i wasn't here during the jim crowe era, as ah matter or fact, i didn't exist in human form, but i believe the info i received to be totally accurate. now i not tellin anyone to follow or oblige me, after all, i iz just the messenger.

BTW, worldy a$$ me dated ah jap name kiako, she loved the dirt that i walked on as long as she was outside of japan, she told me that we could not get into any long term commitments BC her family would disown her. little did she know i was along for the ride.

as for young japs lovin black cultural expression, yeh that's partly true, but see how sincere they are with it when they have ah half bread in their family! after all, it's easy tuh dress up and play ah nigger role, but in all actuality, real forkin hard tuh live.

most of these mixed japanese kids have tuh leave japan if they want any kind of equal rights and consideration, in other words, they are total out cast! that's why there is so much mix japanese kids livin outside of japan.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:46:22 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2010, 01:04:18 AM »
i did some research on racism in japan. and yes they are racist but not to just blacks. they are racist towards those from the west in general, doesnt matter what skin color you have. they're very ethnocentric you could say. they just like staying within themselves.

They are not racist they are xenophobic... there's a difference.  Even so that is changing, in the late 80s then Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone (I can never forget his name) made some unfortunate comments blaming the ills of American society on its heterogenous make-up... he specifically mentioned the presence on blacks and hispanics. The Japanese were scandalized and he was forced to resign in shame. This may or may not have reflected what many Japanese thought at the time, but since then they have fought to erase this perception.

Not saying the following is a part of that effort, but it's interesting to note the Japanese embrace of black music (Jazz, RnB, Reggae, Soca etc.) and see just how that flies in the face of the "racism" talk.
That's not ah good enough criterion for measuring racist behavior, as ah matter of fact i find it quite subjective. it have racist to the core who grew up wid charcoal black nannies who fed them nursed them and taught them black culture.

they grew up on soul food love black entertainers, some even love having sex with black ppl, but deep down inside they are as racist as the klan. jus look @ thomas jefferson . some of the biggest racist back in the 30ies and 40ies loved going to the cotton club on the regular for ah good ole jazz it up experience, they also attended the negro leagues and was fully immersed in black cultural expressions, but hated black ppl wid ah passion.

perfect example, look how much black trinis who love roti and doubles, but hate indains wid ah passion. point not well taken.              lewe doh mash up the ppl thread eh fardder.     
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »
aye allyuh doh let Baseball boy come and hijack de thread... he feel he smart

Trini madness ah watching yuh  :devil: this is the world cup board

;D
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2010, 08:44:51 AM »

Information is power!  i don't need 1st hand info or personal experience tuh conclude on an issue, you know very well that the world don't work that way.

if that was the case then we should all just stop reading the papers, magazines and watching or listening to the news BC after all, it's 2nd 3rd hand info, so where do we draw the line?

i wasn't here during the jim crowe era, as ah matter or fact, i didn't exist in human form, but i believe the info i received to be totally accurate. now i not tellin anyone to follow or oblige me, after all, i iz just the messenger.

BTW, worldy a$$ me dated ah jap name kiako, she loved the dirt that i walked on as long as she was outside of japan, she told me that we could not get into any long term commitments BC her family would disown her. little did she know i was along for the ride.

as for young japs lovin black cultural expression, yeh that's partly true, but see how sincere they are with it when they have ah half bread in their family! after all, it's easy tuh dress up and play ah nigger role, but in all actuality, real forkin hard tuh live.

most of these mixed japanese kids have tuh leave japan if they want any kind of equal rights and consideration, in other words, they are total out cast! that's why there is so much mix japanese kids livin outside of japan.

On a serious note... jus cool have some points worth noting too, even though i find he come across a lil militant...

I have experience with FOB's (fresh of de boats) and 1st and 2nd generations asians and they all have hang ups to varying degrees... I could relate to everything dinho say and all what jus cool say above.

the culture is changing but it is very hard for the younger generations to fight and go against thousands of years of tradition and the older heads in their family/society.
Trust me I believe is real assholery... but you can't hate people for that... it brings you down on that level... alright jus cool?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »
Nah FF, is not that i soooo militant, is just that i fedup ah the fackry! i feel life too short and mankind ain't soo different for US ( human kind) tuh be forkin up ah perfectly good world wid the small hangups.

instead ah forkin up each other , we should be workin together tuh make the world ah easier place. like ppl cyar see we dun have soo much going against us, and we should be working towards lightening the burden, but instead of lightening the burden we making it heavier wid all the fackry.

natural disasters, sickness, vicious animals whom we can't over power or out run, the elements that we find it so hard tuh conquer  and our biggest challenge, TIME!

i'm wondering, when man would realize that there aren't that much difference between us as there is similarities.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »
Nah FF, is not that i soooo militant, is just that i fedup ah the fackry! i feel life too short and mankind ain't soo different for US ( human kind) tuh be forkin up ah perfectly good world wid the small hangups. 

Like how you 'forking up' de japanese and dem based on yuh he say she say hangups? lol

Yuh don't have to have first-hand information on everything in order to form an educated opinion on something... but in some cases it is more helpful than not.  In the case of Jim Crow you didn't have to live thru that period to know what it was like b/c it was all over the news, documented by several independent sources, to back up the personal experiences related by individuals. Same is true of current events today... you don't have to be living in Gaza to know what it's like... or Afghanistan... or Zimbabwe even.

However when it comes to Japan and the alleged racism... you don't get the same substantiation from a variety of sources.  Instead you get some sources alleging racism, and you get an equal if not greater number denying it.  There was no one denying racism under Jim Crow, and very few credible sources saying there is no inequity in the West Bank etc.  When there is a divide in opinion as disparate as this discussion is, it often makes most sense to have some sort of first-hand experience to support your position.

Many of the people who telling you that the Japanese are racist may genuinely think so, but they may not be able to tell the difference between genuine racism, and xenophobia.  They probably wouldn't even know what xenophobia is if it fall and hit them on the head.  So to them any negative treatment by the Japanese MUST be on account of their skin color... after all, that is how we as black people (especially African Americans) are conditioned to think.  Of course that doesn't mean that there are NO racist Japanese... I'm sure, as everywhere, they exist there too.

btw... the reference to the Japanese liking black music wasn't just a reference to the young passa passa crowd... is middle-aged "baby boomers" who propping up jazz music in Japan.  And no, because they like we music ent mean that they absolutely cannot dislike us... but the Japanese appreciation for the music goes a lot deeper, from what I can gather there is a very keen interest... curiousity really about the music, the musicians and the culture/s from which the music arises.  Not exactly indicative of the kinda shallow ignorance that typically spawns racism.  But to each his own.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »
Interesting stuff JC. Yet still pum pum may be the path to enlightenment.

:rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2010, 06:50:44 AM »

On a serious note... jus cool have some points worth noting too, even though i find he come across a lil militant...

I have experience with FOB's (fresh of de boats) and 1st and 2nd generations asians and they all have hang ups to varying degrees... I could relate to everything dinho say and all what jus cool say above.

the culture is changing but it is very hard for the younger generations to fight and go against thousands of years of tradition and the older heads in their family/society.
Trust me I believe is real assholery... but you can't hate people for that... it brings you down on that level... alright jus cool?

What ah loaded phrase  :devil:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2010, 07:22:50 AM »
The least we could do is to not refer to Japanese as 'Japs' ... gorm, we doh like to be called Cs and Ns, so why we into "Japs"?

Moreover, a Japanese player playing in OUR domestic league came on here and reinforced the actuality that using "Japs" as a reference is a pejorative ... leh we at least respect that nah man ...

F**kery is f**kery.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 10:42:36 AM »
The least we could do is to not refer to Japanese as 'Japs' ... gorm, we doh like to be called Cs and Ns, so why we into "Japs"?

Moreover, a Japanese player playing in OUR domestic league came on here and reinforced the actuality that using "Japs" as a reference is a pejorative ... leh we at least respect that nah man ...

F**kery is f**kery.
I always thought it was short for japanese, just like yanks.

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
aye allyuh doh let Baseball boy come and hijack de thread... he feel he smart

Trini madness ah watching yuh  :devil: this is the world cup board

;D

:rotfl:

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »
you're kidding me? japanese racist? nah i cyah believe that.
If yuh have the time and ah couple thousands tuh waste, take ah trip and talk tuh the black ppl yuh see livin there if yuh don't believe me.

i didn't believe it meh self until my breddren dem let me in on it. back then i had nuff breddren who dated japs exclusively, some of them even stil live in japan as i type and some ah dem cyar take the racism so they came back to the U.S.

nuff ah dem is haitian and american blacks. they said that japanese think black ppl are sub human, hence the reason for our brute strength and athletic ability.

My sister lived there for 2 years teaching english...she never experience any of these things...but experience more racism in n america
steups...
You could stuepss until yuh lips buss, that won't change ah thing! so BC your sister lived there incident free means the place checked out? it have ppl who lived in the middle of apartheid and never had any negative experiences, don't mean the seweto murders riots  didn't happened.

i never been tuh japan, but i know nuff bredders who did, and their experience was awful, even i thought japan was ah cool scene until they let me in on it. 

ah sure yuh sister never had ah white woman grab she pocket book when she entered and elevator here in the U.S. or some white man scrambling tuh look his car door when she passed by either, but that happening here every day in north america tuh black man , even the ones who look clean cut in expensive designer suits.

i know one thing, my fren dem is big man and they doh have ah damn thing tuh gain by lying about the japs and their nasty behavior towards black ppl.

Just cool,
There is racism don't get me wrong, but it's more based out of ignorance than hatred (aka xenophobia as other posters have mentioned)....
A major difference there.  When my sister first went there they call her Cocoa Gaijan aka cocoa foreigner...not polite to say the least, however over time once they got to know her they were much more welcoming than US & Canada...

To go off topic, certain countries have made more strides recently, but need I say those of non-caucasian background need to make strides with them and not always complaining about treatment and feeling like their backs are against the wall?  That's how the jewish, chinese, and now the indians are getting ahead.  Work as a community not as individuals.

oh and yes...my sister and my family have all experienced racism as you exemplified with the elevator, car door, etc...in fact worse.  The horror stories I could tell you.  But time to move on and move up.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:13:09 PM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »
you're kidding me? japanese racist? nah i cyah believe that.
If yuh have the time and ah couple thousands tuh waste, take ah trip and talk tuh the black ppl yuh see livin there if yuh don't believe me.

i didn't believe it meh self until my breddren dem let me in on it. back then i had nuff breddren who dated japs exclusively, some of them even stil live in japan as i type and some ah dem cyar take the racism so they came back to the U.S.

nuff ah dem is haitian and american blacks. they said that japanese think black ppl are sub human, hence the reason for our brute strength and athletic ability.

My sister lived there for 2 years teaching english...she never experience any of these things...but experience more racism in n america
steups...

Just cool,
There is racism don't get me wrong, but it's more based out of ignorance than hatred (aka xenophobia as other posters have mentioned)....
A major difference there.  When my sister first went there they call her Cocoa Gaijan aka cocoa foreigner...not polite to say the least, however over time once they got to know her they were much more welcoming than US & Canada...

To go off topic, certain countries have made more strides recently, but need I say those of non-caucasian background need to make strides with them and not always complaining about treatment and feeling like their backs are against the wall?  That's how the jewish, chinese, and now the indians are getting ahead.  Work as a community not as individuals.

oh and yes...my sister and my family have all experienced racism as you exemplified with the elevator, car door, etc...in fact Jworse.  The horror stories I could tell you.  But time to move on and move up.
Fack the JAPS!!   give em hell harry in dey mudda cant!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2010, 08:28:07 PM »

F**kery is f**kery.

Where ignorance is bliss...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2010, 10:57:50 PM »
i just thought of something.....do you think this is the reason why silvio left yokohama?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2010, 11:13:51 PM »

F**kery is f**kery.

I missed this... for real?

1]; } ?>