April 28, 2024, 02:32:29 PM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 58 - Quarter-finals: Uruguay vs Ghana  (Read 47003 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 58 - Quarter-finals: Uruguay vs Ghana
« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »

The worst part about watching that replay and watching this picture is that them men was going to cheat no matter... the #4 nearly twist heself into ah backflip trying to save de header too... is only slow he reflexes was slow, but he too try tuh pull ah Jorge Campos.
I doh care what no body tell me, i would never support any spanish team in football! from mexico tuh spain, they have no class!! and i will always malign them BC they are the pigs of football!! england, holland, germay, czech rep, russia, you name it will never resort tuh that kind of cheating.

ah really can't include latin europe BC they does do anything tuh win aswell, include injuring players, plus they set that dirty spanish trait for the colonies to follow. itally protugal and france are also latin countries, and as of last november, to my extreme disappointment, i have tuh put france on that sh!t list too.

these latin bois fackin up the game, and fifa needs tuh act and act fast if they don't want football lovers tuh lose interest in the "not so beautiful game anymore"!!
I saw Terry trying to head a ball less than 6 inches off the ground. It went wide anyway but it shows he bravery and commitment. Last world Cup he also cleared one of the line with an bicycle kick against T&T.
That sound honorable and an act of pure class tuh me, last i checked terry was using body parts that was legal tuh use in the game of football. whereas suarez unlike terry who tried tuh CHEAT by using his gloves BC he can't stand losing is ah classless scumbag.
JC , I'm agreeing with you.
My bad, i'm just really disappointed wid the views of some ah de members.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2010, 10:26:48 PM »

THERE ARE EXCEPTION TO RULES. SUAREZ SIEZE THE MOMENT OF GLORY TO HANDLE THE BALL THAT WAS SURE TO CROSS THE GOAL LINE THEN FIFA AND THEY BULL SH*T RULE TURN AROUND AN PUT GYAN UNDER PRESSURE WITH BILLIONS WATCHING TO KICK A PENALTY AT THAT STAGE OF THE GAME. WHAT A FUC*KIN FARSS!! AND THE OFFICIALS ARE A BIG PART OF ALL THE UNACCEPTABLES IN S.A

I HOPE ALLYUH KNOW THAT A PENALTY EH SURE TO SCORE ANYMORE. BUYING THAT KIND A HOGWASH RULE  EXPECT THAT MANY HEARTS WILL BE BROKEN AFTER ALL, IT'S A SPORT FOR THE YOUTHS.

MANY FINGERS WILL BE POINTED WHEN THINGS GO SOUTH ESPECIALLY AFTER THIS MATCH. ONE WONDERS WHO GOT MAN OF THE MATCH HONORS ?

MEAN WHILE,32 COUNTRIES  INVEST MILLIONS TO REPRESENT INCLUDING THE SPONSORS AND THE ONES AT THE TOP ALL LAUGH TO THE BANK WHEN IT'S ALL OVER.

change the rules.
THAT'S TRUE BUT, THIS ONE HURT REALLY! REALLY! REALLY HURT. IT IS A PERSONAL THING FOR ME BRO THAT'S WHY. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RESULTS THAT GHANA SHOULD OF GOTTEN
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »

THERE ARE EXCEPTION TO RULES. SUAREZ SIEZE THE MOMENT OF GLORY TO HANDLE THE BALL THAT WAS SURE TO CROSS THE GOAL LINE THEN FIFA AND THEY BULL SH*T RULE TURN AROUND AN PUT GYAN UNDER PRESSURE WITH BILLIONS WATCHING TO KICK A PENALTY AT THAT STAGE OF THE GAME. WHAT A FUC*KIN FARSS!! AND THE OFFICIALS ARE A BIG PART OF ALL THE UNACCEPTABLES IN S.A

I HOPE ALLYUH KNOW THAT A PENALTY EH SURE TO SCORE ANYMORE. BUYING THAT KIND A HOGWASH RULE  EXPECT THAT MANY HEARTS WILL BE BROKEN AFTER ALL, IT'S A SPORT FOR THE YOUTHS.

MANY FINGERS WILL BE POINTED WHEN THINGS GO SOUTH ESPECIALLY AFTER THIS MATCH. ONE WONDERS WHO GOT MAN OF THE MATCH HONORS ?

MEAN WHILE,32 COUNTRIES  INVEST MILLIONS TO REPRESENT INCLUDING THE SPONSORS AND THE ONES AT THE TOP ALL LAUGH TO THE BANK WHEN IT'S ALL OVER.

change the rules.
THAT'S TRUE BUT, THIS ONE HURT REALLY! REALLY! REALLY HURT. IT IS A PERSONAL THING FOR ME BRO THAT'S WHY. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RESULTS THAT GHANA SHOULD OF GOTTEN

I wit yuh, Boss, neck and neck.  Maybe not anywhere personal as it was for you, but I know how yuh feel.   
At the end of the day, man, the best thing to do is steel your nerve and rise above it.  This game, this tournament will make Ghana and Africa stronger.  :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2010, 10:53:30 PM »
I agree that is it the most dishonest thing to do in football. It is against the letter and spirit of the rules. I just saying given those choices I choose my team over the rules. Same way a defender will resort to fouling  his opponent if he the last man on a break away. The punishment needs to be stiffer which is why I support a change of the law- red card and goal allowed if defender is seen(with video replay) to prevented a goal illegally. I know that won't happen anytime soon but I think its the only way to prevent those things from happening.

As hard as it is fuh me to admit, I think this worst than even Maradona's "Hand of God"... only because as an attacker you're cheating yes... but yuh trying to be sly or subtle about it, yuh hoping not to get ketch.  Here man decide he go deliberately prevent the goal and take he penalty... you literally deciding that the more deserving team WILL NOT win the game.  That kinda cynical win at all costs ent fuh me.  Put in that position I don't think I could cheat blatant so.  But I willing to concede that it easy fuh me to say so.

Not sure how I feel about the proposed rule change... I don't like the automatic goal thing, that's what the penalty supposed to compensate for (what is the save rate... not somewhere in the 20s... meaning the conversion rate in the 70s?)

I would like to see the penalty be stiffer for deliberate cynical transgressions of the rules such as this though.  Maybe lose an extra player in addition to the carded player, and add a multi-game suspension on top of it.  Either way that shit Uruguay squad will be without their leading scorer against the Dutch.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2010, 11:26:17 PM »
so hold on lemme get this straight.. all ah allyuh men in Suarez situation with a whole world cup riding on allyuh back and last second of the game, and yuh telling me that allyuh would just watch the ball sail over yuh head in the name of morals?? lol

well all allyuh better than me yes. ah bet if Dennis Lawrence did it yuh woulda say he's a hero steups..

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2010, 11:27:04 PM »
That was a most painful loss for Ghana. To be denied a goal due to cheating is heartbreaking. I feel for them, they were my African team from the beginning. They'll be back stronger than ever. Having said that, I can understand the act of the Uruguayan player who handled the ball on the goal line. He literally "took one for the team". Knowing that he would be red carded, miss the next two games, and cause a penalty. He gave his team, and by extension his country, an ever-so-slight chance at salvaging something. It paid off in a big way for Uruguay, but my beloved Ghanian team was robbed in the worse way. Still, I felt like Gyan should have converted the penalty, but such is football.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2010, 12:07:04 AM »
so hold on lemme get this straight.. all ah allyuh men in Suarez situation with a whole world cup riding on allyuh back and last second of the game, and yuh telling me that allyuh would just watch the ball sail over yuh head in the name of morals?? lol

well all allyuh better than me yes. ah bet if Dennis Lawrence did it yuh woulda say he's a hero steups..

hoss they on f**king heights....I would have saved that ball like Buffon...full keeper style dive and save

Suarez FTW!

AirMan

« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2010, 01:35:49 AM »
Rajevac: I'm very proud

Milovan Rajevac has hailed his Ghana players after their dramatic defeat by Uruguay on penalties in their 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ quarter-final.

With the scores at 1-1 in the last moments of extra time, Dominic Adiyiah's header was stopped on the goal-line by the hand of La Celeste forward Luiz Suarez, who was consequently sent off. However, Asamoah Gyan missed the resulting spot-kick before the Black Stars lost 4-2 in the shoot-out.

"There are no words to express what we feel," said Rajevac. "But I congratulate Uruguay tonight - they were the lucky ones. All I can say is that this is football. At the end we had an historic opportunity to reach the semi-final - we had a penalty. Continue..http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1266465/index.html#rajevac+im+very+proud

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2010, 04:34:09 AM »
Denying a GOAL, is very difFerent from DENYING A GOAL SCORING OPPORTUNITY...

Ghana's case is clear here, but again, as the game evolves and The Laws stay the same, it affects the quality of the game.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

The punishment must fit the crime and Ghana should have had that goal allowed, and Suarez should have been sent off and made to miss 5 games for this wanton act of desperate stupidity, simply because of the fact that this is the Quarter finals of the highest level of the game's ultimate competition.

This is tournament football, not some league competition, where yuh could sleep it off, and face another squad in 6 days.

This decision has cost football dear, and the thing is, if Suarez really wanted to be a keeper, he could have spent his entire career in training to become one...

F.I.F.A. continues FOOLING  INTERNATIONAL  FOOTBALL AUDIENCES

It has to stop, or the game will surely suffer...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2010, 04:49:22 AM »

dinho you are wasting your finger energy. Anybody that play football at a competitive level would have done the same, given the circumstances. How many times have we seen this same action in the game. The fact remains players understand the consequences, accept it and take the chance that the penalty would be saved or missed. We have seen it in this WC and in 2002 Germany vs USA, the German player deliberately handled the ball to deny USA, the referee missed it and USA were sent packing. As I said nothing new.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2010, 05:22:16 AM »
That loss take way some of the elation from earlier in the day.  Is not so much that they loss, is the way they loss.  Real emotional roll a coaster thing to send a woman mad...

I just trying to imagine how Gyan must be feeling  :'( :'(...say wha, round of 16 in 2006, quarter finals in 2010, semis/finals in 2014?? 

GO GHANA!!!  thanks for providing two of the most memorable games of this tournament.... :beermug:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2010, 05:44:29 AM »

dinho you are wasting your finger energy. Anybody that play football at a competitive level would have done the same, given the circumstances. How many times have we seen this same action in the game. The fact remains players understand the consequences, accept it and take the chance that the penalty would be saved or missed. We have seen it in this WC and in 2002 Germany vs USA, the German player deliberately handled the ball to deny USA, the referee missed it and USA were sent packing. As I said nothing new.
:applause:

ah simple ting like holdin a player jersey when he peelin away from u..it mite look like shit on tv but wen u actually playin d game is like reflex to jus pull da man back an take yuh foul...d way armchairs see it different from d way players see it

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2010, 05:58:50 AM »
Denying a GOAL, is very difFerent from DENYING A GOAL SCORING OPPORTUNITY...

Ghana's case is clear here, but again, as the game evolves and The Laws stay the same, it affects the quality of the game.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

The punishment must fit the crime and Ghana should have had that goal allowed, and Suarez should have been sent off and made to miss 5 games for this wanton act of desperate stupidity, simply because of the fact that this is the Quarter finals of the highest level of the game's ultimate competition.

This is tournament football, not some league competition, where yuh could sleep it off, and face another squad in 6 days.

This decision has cost football dear, and the thing is, if Suarez really wanted to be a keeper, he could have spent his entire career in training to become one...

F.I.F.A. continues FOOLING  INTERNATIONAL  FOOTBALL AUDIENCES

It has to stop, or the game will surely suffer...

:beermug: :beermug: Well said.

:applause:

ah simple ting like holdin a player jersey when he peelin away from u..it mite look like shit on tv but wen u actually playin d game is like reflex to jus pull da man back an take yuh foul...d way armchairs see it different from d way players see it

fifa need to make the punishment not worth the crime. Certain transgressions in sport will always go on, but as was suggested by the former post I quoted, the rules need to evolve with the game.  The culture of diving is one of the things that needs to be targeted and maybe actions like what Suarez did yesterday.......maybe handling a ball from the goal line area to prevent a goal.....maybe they should award the goal.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »
Read that article from the Ghana coach, i not seeing him complaining about a grave injustice done to rob his team of victory... Similarly, no outcry from the Ghana players or fans to say they were cheated out of victory. Thats a normal play in football, you know you taking a red.

Now come to think of it if the ref missed it, that woulda been a whole other story, but I still say I can't compare that play to what Henry did. I see man now even looking to come say it worse than Maradona's hand of god. The key difference is that in an attacking mode, yuh outright cheating and conning the ref to premeditatively (sp) steal what is not yours, while from a defensive mode, you looking to cheat but to instinctively protect what you already have. I dunno how else to explain this but anyone familiar with the game should understand there is a clear distinction.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:31:57 AM by dinho »

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2010, 06:34:51 AM »
ALLYUH MEN IS REAL ARSEHOLES AND HYPOCRITES IN HERE

allyuh is de same setta ppl does be crying down men who diving and simulating to get an advantage... is de same damn ting.. even worse!

Let me ask you this... what if he had gotten away with it? imagine that situation
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2010, 06:37:50 AM »

if de ball passing by my hand.. out of reflex I MIGHT.. I MIGHT chook my hand... but where dat ball was... I woulda be diving and straining all my neck muscles and head to reach it...

dat man really nasty to have the presence of mind to bat out de ball.. imo

and allyuh men does rail up about diving yes

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2010, 06:40:06 AM »
Read that article from the Ghana coach, i not seeing him complaining about a grave injustice done to rob his team of victory... Similarly, no outcry from the Ghana players or fans to say they were cheated out of victory. Thats a normal play in football, you know you taking a red.

Now come to think of it if the ref missed it, that woulda been a whole other story,
but I still say I can't compare that play to what Henry did. I see man now even looking to come say it worse than Maradona's hand of god. The key difference is that in an attacking mode, yuh outright cheating and conning the ref to premeditatively (sp) steal what is not yours, while from a defensive mode, you looking to cheat but to instinctively protect what you already have. I dunno how else to explain this but anyone familiar with the game should understand there is a clear distinction.

The act is still reprehensible regardless... i not calling for rule changes and what not... Gyan had his chance... hard luck

but that was real nastiness

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2010, 06:42:53 AM »
I think people getting carried away by emotion and the circumstances. The laws about handball are not new.

A penalty and a sending off is the accepted punishment and long time yuh wouldn't even get the sending off.

If Gyan score the penalty nobody is complaining about the rules.

If the incident was in the 10th minute and he miss Uruguay would still be penalized by having 10 men for 90 minutes Ghana probably wins and nobody cares.

You can't change the laws because of one specific circumstance where teams are tied in the last minute of a match because a player might miss an opportunity that is almost a guaranteed goal.

And yes it was cynical play. It hard to say what would happen if yuh playing in such a high stakes game.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

giggsy11

« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2010, 06:44:54 AM »
It seems like people letting their emotions interfere with their ability to look at the situation for what it is. Ghana was not robbed-just because some people were and are emotionally invested in the team so now it means that Suarez should be hung and quarted? The ref applied the rule and the punishment. Like I posted before Ghana still had an opportunity to win when they went to penality kicks they failed to take the lifeline and Uruguay did. Winning is about overcoming adversity. Ghana did great to make it this far but they failed to do what they needed to do to win. I would be upset with the players who missed the damn penalties-Gyan made his!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 03, 2010, 06:46:34 AM »

if de ball passing by my hand.. out of reflex I MIGHT.. I MIGHT chook my hand... but where dat ball was... I woulda be diving and straining all my neck muscles and head to reach it...

Sense FF, Dinho, yuh surprise meh dey, ah eh guh lie, cheatin is cheatin, however yuh slice it and dice it.  FIFA needs to do someting about all dis nonsense, in dis day and age we should not be havin dese conversations bout illegaly denyin clear goal scorin opportunities etc.  But is FIFA, we grandchildren will be havin de same discussion in years to come
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 03, 2010, 06:49:19 AM »

I agree with you Dinho; even in the midst of my frustration yesterday, I never for one second faulted Suarez for what he did. What he did is of course illegal according to the rules of football, but given the match situation completely understandable.

This is the world cup we are talking about after all. As gigsy say, we should be more upset with the Ghanian players who did not score their penalties.
Buth then again, that's football.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2010, 06:54:49 AM »

Sense FF, Dinho, yuh surprise meh dey, ah eh guh lie, cheatin is cheatin, however yuh slice it and dice it.  FIFA needs to do someting about all dis nonsense, in dis day and age we should not be havin dese conversations bout illegaly denyin clear goal scorin opportunities etc.  But is FIFA, we grandchildren will be havin de same discussion in years to come

Fellahs, please show me where I said it was not cheating?

Cheating is part of the game unfortunately as it is a part of any game what allyuh think this is hopscotch? I feeling it more than most how Ghana lose that game, but there was a transgression, there was the punishment and then there was the result.

Allyuh acting like the ref miss it.

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #292 on: July 03, 2010, 07:21:41 AM »

I agree with you Dinho; even in the midst of my frustration yesterday, I never for one second faulted Suarez for what he did. What he did is of course illegal according to the rules of football, but given the match situation completely understandable.

This is the world cup we are talking about after all. As gigsy say, we should be more upset with the Ghanian players who did not score their penalties.
Buth then again, that's football.

I totally agree- even though I was pulling for Ghana, the blame should truly be placed on everyone who couldn't step up and bring their best effort in a pressure situation (especially the one man who took his PK lackadaisically).

In retrospect, if you take your emotions out of the game and think about it- Suarez' handball was one of the smartest, most heads-up and ballsy plays I've ever seen in a football match, even though it was probably just a knee-jerk reaction to begin with. Like ah man said, if Lawrence or Edwards did the same thing to save we in a big game, men on this board would be naming their sons after him.

Remember- when teams are closely matched on the world football stage, more often than not the team with the best gamesmanship has an edge. Ask Italy's '06 team.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Luis Suarez - hero or villain?
« Reply #293 on: July 03, 2010, 07:28:28 AM »
Luis Suarez - hero or villain?
By Paul Fletcher (BBC)

I am struggling to remember a more dramatic end to a World Cup match than Friday's classic quarter-final tie between Uruguay and Ghana at Soccer City.

Luis Suarez's goal-line handball from Dominic Adiyiah in the dying seconds of extra-time saved a certain goal but resulted in a red card for the Ajax striker and a penalty that was, literally, the last kick of the game before the shoot-out.

Asamoah Gyan, scorer of two spot-kicks already in South Africa, stood just one strike of the football from taking an African team to the last four of the World Cup for the first time.

He had an entire continent behind him, willing him to score, but heartbreakingly for the 24-year-old, his strike skimmed the crossbar and flew into the stand behind the goal.

Moments after his miss the camera cut to Suarez, who had left the field in a state of despondency but was now overcome by sheer, unadulterated fist-pumping joy.

His gamble had paid off in spectacular style.

Minutes later Gyan showed remarkable guts and resilience to score the first Ghanaian penalty of the shoot-out but Fernando Muslera subsequently saved from John Mensah and Adiyiah.

Sebastian Abreu then delivered a stunning coup de grace with an ice-cool looping penalty kick that took an age to reach the net. Stranded Black Stars goalkeeper Richard Kingson could only look on having already dived to his right.

Abreu, a journeyman of 17 clubs in seven countries, was mobbed by his jubilant team-mates but it was Suarez who had made the ultimate sacrifice.

Suarez explained afterwards that he knew he could not stop Adiyiah's effort with his head and so used his hand. The huge grin on his face as he spoke to reporters indicated in the clearest terms possible that he had no regrets about what he had done.

But was it clear-cut, blatant out-right cheating or professionalism that ought to be applauded?

I heard several angry people describe it afterwards as the sort of despicable behaviour that needed to be stamped out.

"The referee should have awarded a goal," said understandably disappointed Ghana defender John Pantsil, although I personally don't see how Olegario Benquerenca could have given anything other than a penalty if the ball did not cross the line.

Panstil added: "There is no chance that any of us Ghana players would have used our hand to stop the ball - no way."

It is difficult not to have some sympathy for Pantsil and his team-mates. They had been the better side during extra-time and could not have come any closer to a dramatic winner.

The vast majority of the 84,017 inside Soccer City were behind them, while Milovan Rajevac's team had the support of the African continent in general.

"Go BaGhana" said Friday's headline in The Citizen newspaper, a neat play on Bafana Bafana, while The Times suggested "We Ghana win it".

At one point on Friday I even heard a chant of "Ghana, Ghana, Ghana" momentarily drown out the sound of the vuvuzela.

Ultimately Ghana's exploits in South Africa have ensured a measure of respectability for the continent after a disappointing group stage that saw the other five African teams fail to qualify.

They have a young side, with seven of the starting XI in Johannesburg 25 or under, and should have a bright future. Despite his agonising Friday, Gyan is a striker of real quality, while young holding midfielder Anthony Annan looks to be a player of immense promise.

The Black Stars became only the third African side after Cameroon and Senegal to reach the last eight and came within a whisker of a place in the last four - and did so without Michael Essien, their best player.

Uruguay were not so much trying to break new ground, as emulate past glories and the victory for Oscar Tabarez's team gave them their first semi-final place since 1970

The manner of La Celeste's progression might disgust some but that should not detract from their overall form in South Africa.

They have just conceded two goals in five games and for a country with a population of 3.5 million, reaching this stage of the competition is a stunning achievement.

I saw their opening game against France and must admit I wondered how they were going to enrich this tournament. They played three in the centre of defence, packed the midfield and lacked ambition.

I had underestimated them.

They had got the point they wanted against the group favourites and played a more expansive game against South Africa, winning 3-0, and have also gone on to defeat Mexico and South Korea.

Suarez and Forlan, who equalised against Ghana with a free-kick, have scored six goals at the World Cup.

They have perhaps been the most formidable strike partnership in the tournament and the absence of Ajax striker Suarez will be a major blow when they take on the Netherlands in Cape Town on Tuesday.

"It is a pity, he made a great save today," said a clearly delighted Forlan, who rated Friday as the greatest night of his career.

"Suarez is one of the heroes. He didn't score a goal but he saved one and now we are in the semi-final."

How Suarez's actions are interpreted is a matter of culture as well as perspective.

What might be regarded in Europe or Africa as cheating is seen as cunning or exploitation of the rules in other parts of the world.

It could be seen as a moral question or an issue of sportsmanship but, despite what Pantsil said, does anybody really think that professional players all over the world would not have done the same thing?

Suarez did what was required to keep his team in the contest - and there is no doubt that if Suarez had not handled the ball his team would now be reflecting on a defeat, not the high-point in Uruguayan football for 40 years.

"I thought we were out," said Forlan of the moment when Gyan prepared to take his penalty.

"I was convinced we were going home. When I saw the ball go into the stand it was unbelievable - Suarez saved us."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 03, 2010, 07:42:32 AM »
I just here waitin for something similar tuh happen to TNT, and when it does , which i know it eventually will, then i will be here tuh remind allyuh of allyuh heinous ramblings!  :waiting:

and another thing, ah doh want tuh hear nutten more about PETER CROUCH  being ah cheat and ah scum bag, BC he took one for the team and he did what was necessary for his team tuh win! after today, crouch is my fackin hero!!

as ah matter of fact, no more talk about drogba being ah diver, christiano being ah sissy, henry the ultimate cheat, and maradona's hand of God! since suarez was helpin his team win and did what was necessary to ensure ah victory.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 03, 2010, 07:51:03 AM »
I glad the world get tuh see what kinda ppl these classless spiks are! imagine they have the nerve tuh call this scum ah hero! and celebrate his cheating ways for the world tuh see! in other words, winnin by any means necessary, even if yuh have tuh dun ah man's career in the process..

This world cup exposed FIFA for the slum lords that they are, and thanx to ppl like suarez, henry, the officiating and some unethical players, brought all this controversy to light about things that should've been addressed and dealt with yrs ago..

it shows that FIFA really needs tuh put their shoulder to the wheel and clean up the sport before true fans start getting turned off from the game. in other words, FIFA needs tuh get their act together, as in now!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:00:47 AM by just cool »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #296 on: July 03, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
Suarez only put up his hand after he notice the other defender slightly in front of him fail to get his head/body unto the ball.
I don't see it as win at all costs..more as defend at all costs..if this was earlier in the game I doubt he woulda done the same.
I ent see nothing wrong 'rulewise' in the whole situation..he get sentoff and Ghana get a penalty..all according to the rules.
if the referee had missed it then that woulda been a different case, which I kinda feel Suarez was hoping for snce he went to argue with the ref
Suarez should been a man and just headed off the field.

Ghana gone home..Holland go deal with Uruguay..then Spain go rest it on Holland..end of story

Just Cool yuh really sickening now..get the rock off yuh shoulder when it comes to Spanish people nah..geez
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 03, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
Suarez only put up his hand after he notice the other defender slightly in front of him fail to get his head/body unto the ball.
I don't see it as win at all costs..more as defend at all costs..if this was earlier in the game I doubt he woulda done the same.
I ent see nothing wrong 'rulewise' in the whole situation..he get sentoff and Ghana get a penalty..all according to the rules.
if the referee had missed it then that woulda been a different case, which I kinda feel Suarez was hoping for snce he went to argue with the ref
Suarez should been a man and just headed off the field.

Ghana gone home..Holland go deal with Uruguay..then Spain go rest it on Holland..end of story

Just Cool yuh really sickening now..get the rock off yuh shoulder when it comes to Spanish people nah..geez
Fack you yuh fat coceyey c@nt!! and while yuh @ it get ah new pair of coke bottles, since the ones yuh have making yuh see sh!t that didn't happen.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:40:34 AM by just cool »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 03, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »

Well apologies to all you professional and ex-professional footballers who dominate the forum... as ah man who only kick ball in the occasional weekend lime I could only speak for myself, I doh have to cheat like that to win.  But as I said, as a non-"competitive" footballer, I willing to concede that it easy fuh me to speak.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 03, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
ALLYUH MEN IS REAL ARSEHOLES AND HYPOCRITES IN HERE

allyuh is de same setta ppl does be crying down men who diving and simulating to get an advantage... is de same damn ting.. even worse!

Let me ask you this... what if he had gotten away with it? imagine that situation

Come nuh man... you talking like ah armchair who clearly ent have no understanding of de game.

1]; } ?>