March 29, 2024, 02:15:57 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 59 - Quarter-finals: Argentina vs Germany  (Read 27023 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 59 - Quarter-finals: Argentina vs Germany
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 07:50:45 AM »
Argentina will prevail..Tevez playing more like a beast everyday..and lets not forget about Igualin. Mascherano looking solid in midfield and these are the type of games Messi shows why he is above and beyond the rest of the world. It will be ah bess game lol

I willing to bet that this will probably be one of the most entertaining games of the tournament.   Hard to pick a winner in this one....but ah need fuh Germany to win....(to make it easier fuh Brazil Holland in the end)  :beermug:

Ah fix it for you.... :devil: ;D

Yeessssss.....dize what ah want.....keep callin' holland name in yuh mout'.  Ah could feel de (reverse)obeah whukkin arready!  :devil: ;D

Brazil!!
Brazil!!
Brazil!!   :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

AirMan

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
Tevez dreaming of glory

Argentina star Carlos Tevez admits he cannot bear to think of losing to Germany in Saturday's FIFA World Cup™ quarter-final.

The 26-year-old Manchester City striker and his team-mates will attempt to book their place in the semi-finals in Cape Town with the alternative simply not an option.

Tevez told www.clarin.com: "Why not think I can be a champion? Every night, I do. I have a hunger for glory so great that I can not imagine the great sadness there would be without the cup. I could not bear to lose on Saturday."

Tevez's non-stop approach and skill have made him a crowd favourite, and he is desperate to deliver the biggest prize of all for the fans.

He said: "It makes me really happy. It must be my way of playing. I give everything for every ball, and people identify with that.

"Hopefully, with all the boys, we can give them the joy we all hope for."

Continue..http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1263362/index.html#tevez+dreaming+glory

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:37:47 AM by AirMan »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »
The key to Germany winning will be to keep Messi & Tevez quiet.  Argentina is playing well because their individual players are performing.  Mascherano is holding down the middle, Messi is causing all sorts of worries, Tevez is an animal and Higuain is lurking in all the danger areas to punish the mistakes... It's working for them, but as a unit, they have not looked solid and well coached compared to Argentina teams of the past... If Germany can manage that, and move off the ball like they did against England, Argentina will be forced to really play football and prove themselves.  Mexico could have been a good test, but the ref threw off the balance of that game. 

The key to Argentina winning will be to avoid collossal mistakes at the back, and for Tevez and Messi to continue doing their thing...This is not a tight, quick moving Argentina TEAM that we're used to- this is an Argentina squad of incredible individual talent, all of whom are fortunately (for them) in good form and Germany has not demonstrated a defensive strength that can keep those guys off the scoreboard for 90 mins. 

To kicker's point re: ARG's individualism.

I agree individualism is present, but I don't think this means they are not well coached per se. [Not overlooking your comparative statement re: former ARG squads, ... very valid IMO] Here's the thing ... I believe Maradona has recognized the natural advantage(s) these particular players bring and has opted (from a former mercurial player's lense) to harness this rather than fight it (Pekerman fought it; Passarella tried to restrict it; ... ent no one will miss Riquelme @ this WC aside from maybe Jai ;)?

It explains the work and role of Heinze, Di Maria, Messi, Higuain, Mascherano et al ... but it also explains why Kun and Milito have had limited looks in. I think Milito doesn't fit the unorthodoxy as well, despite the fact that I'd like to see more of him because of his craft in the '18'. What DAM has generated is dynamic play predicated on unbalancing movements triggered by L Messi. Kun for me is more dynamic than Milito, but maybe less controlled and incisive than the preferred option.

They've taken very few long corners. Several if not most of the free kicks are played short to play Messi in in possession. Lots of times this leads to a successive foul and it's clear that this squad has many variations it has schemed off of set plays. All of these variations work around the hub of the individual cast members, and then they are moments like when Tevez decides to run riot. Di Maria too, but more subtly and sublimely. Combine these with an opportunistic Palermo or Higuain (mix of opportunism and intent), and it's instant combustion.

Yeah, they don't look tightly woven. Their hook is Messi. I agree. But what I've noticed is the seamlessness that occurs when the secondary cast enters the field of play. The plot continues unabated. Pastore (watch de ride); Veron (maintains the status quo). At times I see flashes of '86 ... momentary ones: do enough to win, do it early; add goals at leisure if available, and move on. DAM is a pragmatist. Winning= scoring more than yuh opponent, even if you concede. Recall the scorelines en route to the '86 title.

Nuff ppl decry Gabriel Heinze, but he's a BIG player for ARG. Big! And it's because of the dimension he brings as a maverick two way player... bear in mind, like Chile, this ARG squad selection features players who across the board could play more than one position ... explains why Pupi Zanetti is watching from the stands, ent?

Ties in to Jai's point as to the sense of picking starting XI's with a specific opponent in mind.

All ah that stated, I think Germany's coach will provide a stern tactical test fuh DAM IF the current player rotation as applies holds ... IMV an orthodox ARG starting XI sees Germany leading the game and ARG playing from behind. That's why I think Joachim Loew might be surprised by what he finds come match day re: individual match-ups.

Deep down maybe many of us want to see what ARG looks like responding to adversity before we gih dem added credit. They've added a lot to the tournament already. if Maradona wins the next game and falters after that he would have done no worse than his predecessors.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:06:58 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »

lol im surprised he didnt hold his face and fall to de ground  :D
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 08:36:28 PM »
maradona is getting too much credit..he changing the side to match his opposition?...he changing the side because he not sure what he is doing, lucky for him messi, tevez, higuain, etc are in top form right now....then there are the rumors that veron, guttierez, and samuel are upset because they are not playing.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 05:51:43 AM »
Maradona is picking his team based on his opponent. This eh England who picking de same team regardless of the opposition ! No one can predict Maradona's team ...he is keeping everyone guessing ...he eh play wid the same team twice yet.
If I was to try to pick an Argentina  team vs germany it would look like this ..
                        Romero
Heinze    Samuel   Otamendi    Burdisso

Clemente Rodriguez    Mascherano   Pastore   Tevez

Messi     Higuain
Pastore just waiting to show why he is here .....

Clemente Rodriguez would be the additional marker in the middle to counteract the fast break ...just as Alves is doing  for Brazil ..buh dais jess me .

Well thought out formation.

I have a couple objections though... no Di Maria? Burdisso at left back?

Isnt Otamendi to short for centrehalf?

I prefer Burdisso and Samuel at centre back, CRod and Otamendi as the wingbacks. Mascherano,Pastore (right) and Di Maria (left) as the linkmen and Messi in the mezzanine (behind the centre- fwd), Tevez at left wing and Higuain as CF.

I would have Pastore alternating the attack with Otamendi on the wing. CRod would hang back on the left  back and cover the centrehalfs if needs be. The left attacjk is in the capable hands of Di maria and Tevez.

What U say?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »
Maradona is picking his team based on his opponent. This eh England who picking de same team regardless of the opposition ! No one can predict Maradona's team ...he is keeping everyone guessing ...he eh play wid the same team twice yet.
If I was to try to pick an Argentina  team vs germany it would look like this ..
                        Romero

Messi     Higuain

Clemente Rodriguez would be the additional marker in the middle to counteract the fast break ...just as Alves is doing  for Brazil ..buh dais jess me .

I prefer Burdisso and Samuel at centre back, CRod and Otamendi as the wingbacks. Mascherano,Pastore (right) and Di Maria (left) as the linkmen and Messi in the mezzanine (behind the centre- fwd), Tevez at left wing and Higuain as CF.

I would have Pastore alternating the attack with Otamendi on the wing. CRod would hang back on the left  back and cover the centrehalfs if needs be. The left attacjk is in the capable hands of Di maria and Tevez.

What U say?

I may have written it wrong but Burdisso is at right back and heinze at left ....it is to be viewed as you look at it. No Di Maria because he has not yet produced his best and there will be a need to strengthen the defensive part of midfield. Clemente is excellent at recovery and against the germans who are a strong running team and  Argentina's perennial problem of overloading in attack and being a sucker for the counter needs to be addressed.

Mascherano cannot do it alone. Dunga has done the same thing with Alves...
I will have Tevez on the right , instead of Maxi rogriguez ...he can provide good support for burdisso. I believe now is the time for good support in defense ..so every position should have cover.

Messi will roam the field as Maradona did. Maradona has already given him that license ....you cannot put a creative player in a box .....

The germans are very strong and physical ...you can only look at the goal Klose scored when he powered past the english defense .....

I would have Arguero in this game at some stage ...he is well rested and can provide another attacking option ...he can take on any defense ...just like Messi ! He is also the best percentage finisher ....Higuain is still missing too many easy chances though he is the leading scorer in the team.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »
                        Romero

Messi     Higuain

What U say?

I may have written it wrong but Burdisso is at right back and heinze at left ....it is to be viewed as you look at it. No Di Maria because he has not yet produced his best and there will be a need to strengthen the defensive part of midfield. Clemente is excellent at recovery and against the germans who are a strong running team and  Argentina's perennial problem of overloading in attack and being a sucker for the counter needs to be addressed.

I will have Tevez on the right , instead of Maxi rogriguez ...he can provide good support for burdisso. I believe now is the time for good support in defense ..so every position should have cover.

Messi will roam the field as Maradona did. Maradona has already given him that license ....you cannot put a creative player in a box .....

The germans are very strong and physical ...you can only look at the goal Klose scored when he powered past the english defense .....

I would have Arguero in this game at some stage ...he is well rested and can provide another attacking option ...he can take on any defense ...just like Messi ! He is also the best percentage finisher ....Higuain is still missing too many easy chances though he is the leading scorer in the team.

you sure yuh does follow Argentina  ;D Yuh have Center back at left full back  and a wide left back at right of midfield.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
Argentina's first REAL test of this world cup

Peeps waxin poetic over victories against Nigeria, South Korea, Greece and (despite being outplayed) Mexico.

Let's see how they handle a BIG SIDE  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »
Argentina Line up

Anybody  Anybody Somebody Anyone

Anybody Somebody Somebody Anyone

Messi Somebody

Messi and any 10 will do!

Argentina winning this game easy

If it is one thing germany does not have is defensive midfielders

Ozul is soft
Swiesztier only plays going forwards
Poldowski is a forward playing left wing
Mueller is a forward playing right wing

Only the man who name start with K ......
can play any kind of defense and he slow like molasses.

Once messi run by him who going to stop him.

Them 2 bean pole center defenders .....

Not happening.

Argentina winning this game by a mile

Unless the german coach change the lineup which he will not do.

Is not like he have Lothar on the bench.

Germany done!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »

Peeps waxin poetic over victories against Nigeria, South Korea, Greece and (despite being outplayed) Mexico.

In '86 they faced S Korea, Bulgaria and Italy. Arguably no different from this year's opposition? In the next round they skated by URU on a first half goal and lined up a date with England in that famous match ... the rest as they say is history.

ARG deserves respect, although not necessarily my support. Germany I respect, but will never support. It's fair to say the Germans aren't going to engage them lightly. The flip side of the assertion is that this could also be viewed as Germany's first REAL test. Ent?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 02:33:20 PM »

In '86 they faced S Korea, Bulgaria and Italy. Arguably no different from this year's opposition? In the next round they skated by URU on a first half goal and lined up a date with England in that famous match ... the rest as they say is history.

ARG deserves respect, although not necessarily my support. Germany I respect, but will never support. It's fair to say the Germans aren't going to engage them lightly. The flip side of the assertion is that this could also be viewed as Germany's first REAL test. Ent?

You could look at it however you want.  Your perogative.

If you want to equate Bulgaria and Italy with Nigeria and Greece....go right ahead.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »

You could look at it however you want.  Your perogative.

If you want to equate Bulgaria and Italy with Nigeria and Greece....go right ahead.

Well, let's be serious that S Korea and this S Korea are leaps and bounds separate. I am not going by team name and historical reputation. That year Bearzot's Italian squad was NOT particularly exotic. They would have had 3 draws across the table but mercifully escaped into the second round with a win due to a Korean own goal (which was essentially the worst second place finishing performance by any team making it into the next stage).

Yeah, it featured spine-tingling names like Rossi, Altobelli, Zenga and Tardelli, but ah sure yuh recall they were to be later EXPOSED by Platini and company. Leh we doh romanticise dis ting nah.

The fact is possession of the ball (although ah think you're too sophisticated to equate possession with outplaying) and individualism are distinct things. All I'm saying is ARG's individualism is a strength fuh them right now ... Germany might have the wherewithal to address it. We'll see.

Incidentally, on ball possession, Italy in this WC ranks second to Spain in terms of possession ... where are they now?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:13:04 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 04:48:10 PM »
Matchups like this and the Brazil - Holland are what the WC is all about!
Only thing is they shouldn't have me waitin to see football, I want WC games every day until it done.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 06:54:30 PM »
Maradona - GOD HIMSELF sent me on this earth to teach mankind how to play football

Pele - I don't remember sending anybody

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »
Maradona - GOD HIMSELF sent me on this earth to teach mankind how to play football

:rotfl:

Good one

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2010, 08:23:01 PM »

:rotfl:

Good one

COSIGNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 02:47:43 AM »
I feel Maradona still have it in him at this level to score goals in d World Cup...I could see him scoring some badass freekick with dat ball...Wish he would suit up for dat Germany game and show dem ah form from d 86 World  Cup
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 04:36:20 AM »

Serious question Palos...

You believe Pele was better than Maradona?
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 05:55:24 AM »
                        Romero

Messi     Higuain

What U say?

you sure yuh does follow Argentina  ;D Yuh have Center back at left full back  and a wide left back at right of midfield.

You sure you does follow Argentina ? Maradona has said from the start that he will go with 4 centre backs in defense . Do you remember that ? He played Germany a friendly before the WC , which argentina won .... you remember that ? He said ...it worked well and he did not concede any goals ...remember that too ?

So all that I am suggesting is in keeping with what the coach has said .....yes the coach !! i know many had him down as a waste of time ...I even had my doubts but he has proved us wrong ..so far .

Again I have clemente rodriguez at left midfield ....not at right ..read the posts and dem good nah . ..Just as dunga has Alvez, a confirmed riight back , in the mifddle to win back the ball for brazil.

I following Argentina since 1978 ....some of the peeps here were not born yet ...... I saw houseman, Kempes, Ortiz, Bertomi play ..... I could even give you a little stat...messi and Riquelme were born on the same day ...but not the same year ...and Pastore will shock everyone ! ah gone .

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »

;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »
jai,
a small correction....dani alves is playing on the right side not the center.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 08:32:19 AM »
Maradona is picking his team based on his oThe back line for your information wa Otmendi RB Demichelis CB, Samuel CB, henize LBpponent. This eh England who picking de same team regardless of the opposition ! No one can predict Maradona's team ...he is keeping everyone guessing ...he eh play wid the same team twice yet.
                        Romero

Messi     Higuain

What U say?

You sure you does follow Argentina ? Maradona has said from the start that he will go with 4 centre backs in defense . Do you remember that ? He played Germany a friendly before the WC , which argentina won .... you remember that ? He said ...it worked well and he did not concede any goals ...remember that too ?

So all that I am suggesting is in keeping with what the coach has said .....yes the coach !! i know many had him down as a waste of time ...I even had my doubts but he has proved us wrong ..so far .

Again I have clemente rodriguez at left midfield ....not at right ..read the posts and dem good nah . ..Just as dunga has Alvez, a confirmed riight back , in the mifddle to win back the ball for brazil.

I following Argentina since 1978 ....some of the peeps here were not born yet ...... I saw houseman, Kempes, Ortiz, Bertomi play ..... I could even give you a little stat...messi and Riquelme were born on the same day ...but not the same year ...and Pastore will shock everyone ! ah gone .

Yes I remember the exhibition game. Do you wish me to give you the line up?

Otamendi RB, Demechiles CB, Samuel CB, Heinze (Burdisso subbed Samuel) My point is why would Diego start  Burdisso at RB in a quarter final when he has not done so even in exhibition. The only way that would happen is emergency sub.

Thomas Paine

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »
Maradona is picking his team based on his oThe back line for your information wa Otmendi RB Demichelis CB, Samuel CB, henize LBpponent. This eh England who picking de same team regardless of the opposition ! No one can predict Maradona's team ...he is keeping everyone guessing ...he eh play wid the same team twice yet.
                        Romero

Messi     Higuain

What U say?

Otamendi RB, Demechiles CB, Samuel CB, Heinze (Burdisso subbed Samuel) My point is why would Diego start  Burdisso at RB in a quarter final when he has not done so even in exhibition. The only way that would happen is emergency sub.

Nah man, Burdisso has a lot of experience at right back as well. He was used there frequently up till last season while he was at Inter Milan. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for him to play there by any stretch.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 10:57:09 AM »

that is what i saying too

knd2, the man name is khedira...i dont follow germany enough to know how they going to set up but you could bet ur bottom dollar they going to have a set plan.    i ent feel argentina play with a plan for any game this world cup yet...say what u want about maradona's playing abilities but he is a novice coach.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »

knd2, the man name is khedira...i dont follow germany enough to know how they going to set up but you could bet ur bottom dollar they going to have a set plan.    i ent feel argentina play with a plan for any game this world cup yet...say what u want about maradona's playing abilities but he is a novice coach.

so far it is a combination of messi's greatness, their attacking firepower and weak opposition.  However, weak or strong opposition I don't think any team wants to play argentina right now.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 11:26:59 AM »

When yuh have Lionel Messi yuh doh need as many plans as others.  If yuh in a jam, give him the ball, and he'll figure something out. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »
jai,
a small correction....dani alves is playing on the right side not the center.

not centre ..I said middle ...by middle I meant midfield ... I old so terms change you know ...
he is a converted right back ...he has played RB since Brazil under 17 where I first saw him. He is a good box to box player and a good battler in the middle ( midfield ) .
I believe Clemente can play this role as we are not so good on recovery . Clemente can support neinze just as tevez can support Burdisso.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »
                        Romero

Messi     Higuain

What U say?

Nah man, Burdisso has a lot of experience at right back as well. He was used there frequently up till last season while he was at Inter Milan. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for him to play there by any stretch.
he has played RB all his life ...this is no experiment.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 11:44:08 AM »

novice is as novice does ...what has he done so far to be considered novice ? lets say it was the first time you saw or even heard him ...would you initial thought be that he is a novice ? ..or that he is getting victories every game and should be given more credit than he is getting ?

As a player he did what no one else thought of or was willing to try ...as a coach ?? he might just confound the experts ...who is that masked man anyway ?? ha ha ha ...Hi yo silver ..awaaayyy!!!!

1]; } ?>