April 25, 2024, 01:36:16 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 57 - Quarter-finals: Holland vs Brazil  (Read 39140 times)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 57 - Quarter-finals: Holland vs Brazil
« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
the one time brazil was behind in the tournament, they couldn't find a way back. in this respect, they join spain, portugal and chile in that they were ultimately unsuccessful chasing the game. seems both uruguay and the netherlands have been able to reverse an early deficit - sets up an interesting SF.

I eh so sure that being behind is what the issue was......I think that the Brazilians let (in their minds) the officiating get to them.  You could see their frustration building as the game progressed, even before holland  scored the first goal.
Dunga looked like he was ready to explode since the first half.

Yeah, and alot of people are blaming the team's losing their cool on his sideline reactions. 
well, it's not the first time I've seen Brazil react this way to losing a game like this.  I've also seen them lose games fair and square without all the diving and theatrics (to France, 3 times) and they took their losses with even tempers. If you believe that a team is a reflection of their coach, then I guess one can argue it.....but I think under the circumstances even Del Bosque would have been as animated as Dunga was, today.   holland was really overdoing the theatrics, but, again, Dunga should have worked on getting his team to expect that from the dutch.  Who knows.....maybe he did.  :( 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:02:41 PM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »
So in other words Brazil shouldah win but Dunga mess them up?  Typical Brazillian fan....

Congrats, in particular, to BrownSugar because she drinkin' she oranje juice from day one.  Take some vodka in yuh glass, Gyul!  :beermug:......and congrats to the netherlands and their fans.  

In sports as in life yuh hadda take de good wit de bad but today is a rel bad day to be a supporter of Brazil and Africa in the world of football.  While the officiating was poor and arjen robben, van bommel and ooijer was getting away with murder with their respective theatrics and persistent foul play, Brazil did themselves in by giving in to their emotions and believing they can beat europeans at the only game europeans can beat Brazil at on a football field and that is theatrics and semantics.  The Germany '06 game between holland and portugal as well as robben's history of semantics should have had Dunga and Brazil better prepared, mentally, and better prepared, strategically, to win this game by doing what they do best and that is beating all other nations at just playing football.   The first half showed how easy it would have been but Brazil didn't stick to what was working best for them.  A whole lot of praise has to be showered upon maartin stekelenburg, as well.  There's a reason why he is keeping Kenneth Vermeer on the bench at Ajax and he showed it today.  Them two brilliant saves on those shots by Kaka and Maicon were fine examples of agility, reflexes and positioning and they kept his team from being 3-0 down at the half.

For the people that want to be overly hard on Michel Bastos have to remember, Dunga insist on playing the man out of position.  He is NOT a left back and most of those fouls called against him on robben was more him being a victim of robben's theatrics than anything.  Back to taking the good with the bad....under Dunga, Brazil has been relatively succesful.  They won Copa America, Confederations Cup and topped CONMEBOL in qualifying.  They lost out in the ever-elusive Olympics.  Unfortunately, they lost today in the most important tournament in the world and dunga insisted on doing it his way.  Well....."his way" have them writing "vuvuzelas" on the "anything to declare" section on their customs forms while that tournament is still going on.  I don't care what anybody says, Ronaldinho would have made a difference with this team over the course of the tournament and I think it would have made a difference today.  Good night, all.                

Dunga muss be a "typical Brazilian fan", too." 

"..."We are all responsible for this situation but I have the greatest responsibility,"

His words.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 03, 2010, 12:50:27 AM »
the one time brazil was behind in the tournament, they couldn't find a way back. in this respect, they join spain, portugal and chile in that they were ultimately unsuccessful chasing the game. seems both uruguay and the netherlands have been able to reverse an early deficit - sets up an interesting SF.

I eh so sure that being behind is what the issue was......I think that the Brazilians let (in their minds) the officiating get to them.  You could see their frustration building as the game progressed, even before holland  scored the first goal.

Yeah, and alot of people are blaming the team's losing their cool on his sideline reactions. 
well, it's not the first time I've seen Brazil react this way to losing a game like this.  I've also seen them lose games fair and square without all the diving and theatrics (to France, 3 times) and they took their losses with even tempers. If you believe that a team is a reflection of their coach, then I guess one can argue it.....but I think under the circumstances even Del Bosque would have been as animated as Dunga was, today.   holland was really overdoing the theatrics, but, again, Dunga should have worked on getting his team to expect that from the dutch.  Who knows.....maybe he did.  :( 

ah just finished watching the game. imho, the officiating didn't really seem to be a problem until brazil was behind. van bommel definitely should have picked up a card later in the game for persistent fouling. however the ref seemed to be calling arm-in-the-back and body positioning consistently. the one time a brazillian player (i think it was gilberto melo) get in front of robben, the ref call the foul on robben. bastos have a new daddy.

throughout the game, ah find way too many brazillian attacks were on the ground and up the middle (i.e. through kaka). kaka wasn't moving much at all. after that first goal, holland woke up and closed down that middle; after this going through the middle made holland's job easier. brazil looked better when maicon was going down the wing, but this didn't happen much at all. also, alves did nothing with set pieces. i didn't see the chile game, but ah feel things would have been very different with elano instead of alves.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 03, 2010, 05:17:10 AM »

Doh mine it was browns and me alone backing d dutch, now the waggon get full now  :devil: GO HOLLAND  :beermug:

Of course... de two ah allyuh is de diehards and everybody else is waggonists.

Yes.  When me and DHW taking pound whole week, where yuh was eh?  eh?   :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2010, 05:37:39 AM »

ah just finished watching the game. imho, the officiating didn't really seem to be a problem until brazil was behind. van bommel definitely should have picked up a card later in the game for persistent fouling. however the ref seemed to be calling arm-in-the-back and body positioning consistently. the one time a brazillian player (i think it was gilberto melo) get in front of robben, the ref call the foul on robben. bastos have a new daddy.

throughout the game, ah find way too many brazillian attacks were on the ground and up the middle (i.e. through kaka). kaka wasn't moving much at all. after that first goal, holland woke up and closed down that middle; after this going through the middle made holland's job easier. brazil looked better when maicon was going down the wing, but this didn't happen much at all. also, alves did nothing with set pieces. i didn't see the chile game, but ah feel things would have been very different with elano instead of alves.

Nah, jed, the officiating was a problem from the earlies.  Efan Ekoku commented from early in the first half about Dunga and his semantics on the sideline.....you could see Luis Fabiano was one of the men getting frustrated from the first half......the tension was mounting even though Brazil was in control of the game.    Most of the fouls the Brazilians committed were (rightfully) called but there was a lot of theatrics that went rewarded for the dutch and a lot of fouling that they got away with and even when he did call them on some of their fouls, certain players that were supposed to get yellow carded for persistent foul play from early on were not. nigel de jong and andre ooijer are the first ones that come to mind.....van bommel could be added to that list but he seemed to have stepped up his fouling in the second half when Brazil imploded.  Brazil has never been a team to mentally/emotionally handle a game "not going their way", which, imho is a euphemism for "not getting their calls/poor officiating".  I've seen them lose many, many games before.  Big games, from Olympic knockout games in Atlanta, Sydney, etc, WC games and qualifiers to Argentina and they've taken their losses in stride.  When they have lost AND the officiating didn't favour them....I've seen yesterday happen the same way before, as well.  Maybe it's a cultural thing but they need to learn to keep their emotions in check in them kindsa circumstances.  This ref did a poor game, no doubt, but they shouldn't just expect the game to play out for them the way they expect it to.  Anymore. 

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2010, 06:03:05 AM »
Melo could be let off the hook with this one....well sort of....

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1266860/index.html#sneijder+credited+with+first+goal+dutch+quarter+final+victory

Sneijder credited with first goal in Dutch quarter-final victory
(FIFA.com) Saturday 3 July 2010

Who should get the credit for a goal? At times it is not 100 per cent clear, but in the case of a FIFA competition, it is the FIFA Technical Study Group who ultimately decide.

Shots which are on target (i.e. goal bound) and come off a defender, or shots which rebound from the goal-frame and bounce-off a defender or goalkeeper may be considered as an own goal, but in the instance of the Netherlands opening goal against Brazil, the TSG have decided to credit the goal to the attacking player.

Therefore, Netherlands midfielder Wesley Sneijder now has 4 goals so far in the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, taking him level with Gonzalo Higuain (Argentina), Robert Vittek (Slovakia) and David Villa (Spain) at the top of the goal scoring chart.

Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2010, 07:32:53 AM »

Doh mine it was browns and me alone backing d dutch, now the waggon get full now  :devil: GO HOLLAND  :beermug:

Of course... de two ah allyuh is de diehards and everybody else is waggonists.

Yes.  When me and DHW taking pound whole week, where yuh was eh?  eh?   :devil: ;D

tell him  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »

Yuh eh see I scarce all tournament  :-\

This de most amount ah games I miss watching live since I watching World Cup.  But I cyah compare tuh you with yuh passion fuh yuh team, lol

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2010, 08:59:56 AM »

Yuh eh see I scarce all tournament  :-\

This de most amount ah games I miss watching live since I watching World Cup.  But I cyah compare tuh you with yuh passion fuh yuh team, lol

Alright, alright, ah forgive yuh... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »
Pele criticizing Brazil and Argentina points to a Braz v Arg final. thats the way it normally tends to work when he open he mouth.

looks like goat mouth Pele was right for a change.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
Pele criticizing Brazil and Argentina points to a Braz v Arg final. thats the way it normally tends to work when he open he mouth.

looks like goat mouth Pele was right for a change.

Well spotted!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
I have a feeling this game would be close, may even go to penalties. Robben would be a handful for Brazil.

Yeah, he'll be a handful. Yuh know how yuh could take a fortune cookie and crush it into a handful of crumbs?
Wha is holland (mis)fortune fuh Friday?

say what  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »
I have a feeling this game would be close, may even go to penalties. Robben would be a handful for Brazil.

Yeah, he'll be a handful. Yuh know how yuh could take a fortune cookie and crush it into a handful of crumbs?
Wha is holland (mis)fortune fuh Friday?

say what  :rotfl: :rotfl:

It's all good, lil fella.  God willing, I will be right dey wit dem when dey lift de cup in Rio in four years.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »
Melo could be let off the hook with this one....well sort of....

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1266860/index.html#sneijder+credited+with+first+goal+dutch+quarter+final+victory

Sneijder credited with first goal in Dutch quarter-final victory
(FIFA.com) Saturday 3 July 2010

Who should get the credit for a goal? At times it is not 100 per cent clear, but in the case of a FIFA competition, it is the FIFA Technical Study Group who ultimately decide.

Shots which are on target (i.e. goal bound) and come off a defender, or shots which rebound from the goal-frame and bounce-off a defender or goalkeeper may be considered as an own goal, but in the instance of the Netherlands opening goal against Brazil, the TSG have decided to credit the goal to the attacking player.

Therefore, Netherlands midfielder Wesley Sneijder now has 4 goals so far in the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, taking him level with Gonzalo Higuain (Argentina), Robert Vittek (Slovakia) and David Villa (Spain) at the top of the goal scoring chart.

ah wonder if ah go retroactively get the points for mih fantasy side? :thinking:

I doubt it.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline YoursTruly

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 04, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »
Brazil confirm Dunga dismissal

The Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) has confirmed that Dunga has been dismissed following the country's quarter-final exit.

Dunga signed a four-year deal in 2006 and he led Brazil to success in the 2007 Copa America as well as last year's Confederations Cup, but he received frequent criticism for his defensive approach to the game.

Following the surprise 2-1 defeat to Netherlands, Dunga said: "Everyone knows that I came into the Brazil job for a four-year period."

However, on his return to his Porto Alegre home on Sunday, he had indicated that he could stay on. "I am going to rest for one or two weeks, and when the CBF president (Ricardo Teixeira) returns from Africa, we can talk. Things will depend on what he says. I worked with an excellent group of players and we lost just six games. We were the Copa America champions."

The CBF, though, has released him from his contract and now plans to announce his replacement in the near future.

"The CBF announces that the technical committee of the national team has been released," a statement on the CBF's official website read. "The new technical committee will be announced later this month."

Former AC Milan boss Leonardo is believed to be the main contender to replace Dunga.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/805999/ce/uk/?cc=3888&ver=global

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
World Cup 2010 - Melo forced to hide from angry fans
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08072010/58/world-cup-2010-melo-forced-hide-angry-fans.html

Brazil star Felipe Melo has gone into hiding to avoid furious fans blaming him for his country's early exit at the World Cup.

The Juventus midfielder flew to Brazil before pre-season starts in Italy, but instead of returning home he shut himself off with his family in a rented house in the resort of Buzios to get away from the abuse of fans and media.

The 27-year-old needed an armed guard on his arrival back at Rio de Janeiro airport when thousands of angry fans surged towards the Brazil team to voice their displeasure at a disappointing World Cup.

Melo was sent off for an impetuous foul during Brazil's 2-1 quarter-final defeat by the Netherlands, and had earlier been awarded an own goal.

The goal was later credited to Dutch playmaker Wesley Sneijder, but Melo is still regarded as a villain throughout the football-mad country.

It marks the end of a nightmare season for Melo, who disappointed at Juve after his £21 million move to the Turin giants last summer.
Eurosport
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

1]; } ?>