March 28, 2024, 04:53:12 PM

Author Topic: President suspends Nigeria national team for 2 yrs  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
President suspends Nigeria national team for 2 yrs
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:48:39 AM »

President suspends Nigeria national team for 2 yrs

1 hour, 29 minutes ago

ABUJA, June 30 (Reuters) - Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan has suspended the national soccer team from international competition for the next two years following their poor performance in the World Cup, a senior adviser said on Wednesday.

“Mr President has directed that Nigeria will withdraw from all international football competition for the next two years to enable Nigeria to reorganise its football,” Ima Niboro, a special adviser to Goodluck Jonathan, told reporters.

“This directive became necessary following Nigeria’s poor performance in the ongoing FIFA World Cup.”

Nigeria were knocked out in the first round.

(Reporting by Felix Onuah; Writing by Randy Fabi; Editing by Nick Tattersall and Jon Bramley)

(Editing by Jon Bramley)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nigeria president suspends team
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
Nigeria president suspends team 

bbc

Nigeria managed only one point after drawing 2-2 with South Korea
Nigeria's president has suspended his nation's football team from international competition for two years after a poor showing at the World Cup.

Special presidential adviser Ima Niboro told reporters the decision by Goodluck Jonathan will "enable Nigeria to reorganise its football".

The BBC understands the Nigerian Football Federation is to be dissolved and an interim board appointed.

Nigeria were knocked out in the group stages without winning a game.

Niboro said: "This directive became necessary following Nigeria's poor performance in the ongoing World Cup.

Under Fifa rules, government interference with national teams is strictly forbidden.

More to follow

ah realise that Nigeria has a special adviser too but he not as smart as JW,he's adviser to the President instead of their association.....automatic ban.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:34:30 PM by royal »

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: President suspends Nigeria national team for 2 yrs
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
Hmm...
what do politicians know about football? and vice versa....
 :devil:
whey boy!

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »
Kinda harsh.....and total nonsense imo

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:10:48 AM »
      Nah man that eh harsh compared with trying to get rid of JW and the TTFF.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nigeria president suspends team
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
Looks like every manjack blacklisted

Well he save FIFA the trouble of suspending them for interference.

But I really don't see this lasting 2 years. No way no how.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nigeria president suspends team
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
At least they starting some sort of rebuilding process even before the 2010 World Cup done..we on the other hand still in 2006....

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
attention seeker
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:30:07 AM »
      Nah man that eh harsh compared with trying to get rid of JW and the TTFF.

True ... but to clean yuh house dont mean yuh have to throw all yuh furniture outside.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
Unless he's the President of the FA, he can't do that, FIFA will ban dey arse.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 11:00:56 AM »
Unless he's the President of the FA, he can't do that, FIFA will ban dey arse.

right, if he sticks with that 'government' ban on the senior team, FIFA will come in and ban the U-20 and U-17 women which are due to play world cups along with everything else.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
i don't know how not playing will help rebuilding...i feel they asked the TTFF for advice.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Why allyuh sooooo suprised?? and jack warner did it , borrell also did it! yuh think black ppl mad and disruptive in joke!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »
Is the national team being suspended,these players i guess will continue to honor contracts they have with foreign clubs,plus i don't think most on the present national team will be around for the next one.If the team is suspended for two years it means they have two years to get ready for the next WC,they in good shape still because T&T does take less time than that to get ready.  

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »
Allyuh ent read between the lines. Let me rewrite it for you:

President stops financial support for Nigerian Football Association after getting 1 point in the world cup.

ABUJA, June 30 (Reuters) - Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered the treasury to stop payments to the Nigerian Football Association. This halt in payments will continue until the start of qualifying for the 2014 world cup. A senior adviser said on Wednesday.

“Mr President has directed that after spending all that money and getting 1 point, all them football scamps could go and ask FIFA for money.  When they get vote out and reorganise, we will talk” Ima Niboro, a special adviser to Goodluck Jonathan, told reporters. "In the mean time, I am reviewing plans to put up a big-ass flag"

“This directive became necessary following Nigeria’s poor performance in the ongoing FIFA World Cup.”

(Reporting by Bitter; Writing by Bitter; Editing by Bitter and Bitter)

(Editing by Bitter)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 03:11:16 PM »
Why allyuh sooooo suprised?? and jack warner did it , borrell also did it! yuh think black ppl mad and disruptive in joke!

i don't know how not playing will help rebuilding...i feel they asked the TTFF for advice.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World Cup 2010: Nigeria president suspends team
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 03:35:33 PM »
Nigeria's president has suspended his nation's football team from international competition for two years after a poor showing at the World Cup.
Special presidential adviser Ima Niboro told reporters the decision by Goodluck Jonathan will "enable Nigeria to reorganise its football".
The Nigerian Football Federation is to be dissolved and an interim board appointed, the BBC understands.
Nigeria were knocked out in the group stages without winning a game.
Niboro said: "President Goodluck Jonathan has directed that Nigeria withdraws from international competition for two years to enable the country to put its house in order.

Fifa's position regarding political interference in football is well known. Our statutes do not allow for any political interference
Fifa statement
"This directive became necessary following Nigeria's poor performance in the ongoing World Cup."
The president also plans an audit of the country's World Cup organising committee.
"If any financial misappropriation is discovered, all officials responsible will be held accountable," Niboro added.
The NFF released a statement apologising to "all football-loving Nigerians" for the country's early exit from South Africa.
"No previous board has qualified Nigeria for all major tournaments internationally," the statement read, adding that officials wanted Swedish coach Lars Lagerbeck to remain at the helm.
Rotimi Amaechi, head of a special presidential task force on the World Cup campaign, said Nigeria would write to football's world governing body Fifa to explain its decision.
"We went to the World Cup and found all sorts of problems and we felt we should sit back and look inward," Amaechi told reporters.

Extended highlights - Nigeria 2-2 South Korea

Under Fifa rules, government interference with national teams is strictly forbidden.
"At the time of writing, we have no official information on this matter," a Fifa statement read.
"However, in general, Fifa's position regarding political interference in football is well known. Our statutes do not allow for any political interference."
Nigeria's risks their national and club teams, plus referees, being banned from all international competitions - and their officials would not be allowed to attend meetings or events.
Nigeria were set to begin their bid to qualify for the 2012 African Nations Cup finals in September against Madagascar.
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2010: Nigeria president suspends team
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »
banana republic

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 03:42:59 PM »
banana republic

I guess France is also a banana republic.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
Allyuh ent read between the lines. Let me rewrite it for you:

President stops financial support for Nigerian Football Association after getting 1 point in the world cup.

ABUJA, June 30 (Reuters) - Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered the treasury to stop payments to the Nigerian Football Association. This halt in payments will continue until the start of qualifying for the 2014 world cup. A senior adviser said on Wednesday.

“Mr President has directed that after spending all that money and getting 1 point, all them football scamps could go and ask FIFA for money.  When they get vote out and reorganise, we will talk” Ima Niboro, a special adviser to Goodluck Jonathan, told reporters. "In the mean time, I am reviewing plans to put up a big-ass flag"

(Reporting by Bitter; Writing by Bitter; Editing by Bitter and Bitter)

(Editing by Bitter)
        This is the kind of president T&T needs,see how a Football Federation and players are treated for getting 1 point in a WC finals,when government spend their money they want results. :devil: allyu see how backward we are?(sacarsm) as a poster said don't be surprised by this

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
banana republic

Had ah boss Father's Day sale... I-man make ah killing.

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 06:51:57 PM »
banana republic

:rotfl:
For real!

But seriously, things like this does make black people look like we cyar run nothing

Ketch footballitis

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 06:29:27 AM »
banana republic

Bakes ah see we FINALLY supporting the same team in this WC.... ;D

On to the topic at hand, was watching Shaka this morning on ESPN2 discuss the issue.  When asked for his thoughts on what Nigeria's government did, I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT SHAKA WAS GOING TO SAY....which was, he wished that more Governments would get involved because taxpayers' money does go into preparing a team and they should have a say in how the team performs or doesn't....

Now who here surprised by his response.... :whistling:  :devil:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:34:53 AM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 07:59:15 AM »
Hey folks, the thought just occurred to me!

As Jack is now a politician & elected minister in government then according to FIFA rules he is no longer allowed to interfere in the running of the TTFF and T&T football.

This is great news folks, no more interference from Jack and blacklisting of our players etc who want to sue his backside for the bonus money he promised!!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:00:58 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »
banana republic

:rotfl:
For real!

But seriously, things like this does make black people look like we cyar run nothing

From the look of things it sounds like yuh black. What black nation yuh know that things run flawless?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:36:35 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »
banana republic

On to the topic at hand, was watching Shaka this morning on ESPN2 discuss the issue.  When asked for his thoughts on what Nigeria's government did, I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT SHAKA WAS GOING TO SAY....which was, he wished that more Governments would get involved because taxpayers' money does go into preparing a team and they should have a say in how the team performs or doesn't....

I am not surprised by Shaka response but i want to ask you one question,do you agree with the decision the Nigerian Government made?

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »
Yeah, he find the team need to resturcture before they are exposed to international events again. Sometimes you need to take a step back to move forward.

He just didn't have to make a big statement. He just had tell the FA that no official international tournaments will be entered for the next two years while we take care of things at home. I sure it have real teams who do that without saying anything about it
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
banana republic

I am not surprised by Shaka response but i want to ask you one question,do you agree with the decision the Nigerian Government made?

Yes.  I personally wish our government had inteferred after 2006.  After all they would have been justified because up to now the TTFF/Jack can't say definitively how much money was collected and spent from ALL sources, of which the government played a big part.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 12:16:43 PM »
banana republic

Coops,

As long as the gov't is not pushing any tribal, ethnic or regional retribution.  The Africans are know for this kind of behaviour, hence FIFA insistances that gov't do not get involved with the administrative aspect of football. But that is easier said than done especially in Africa where the gov't  does put out most of the finances for sporting infrastructure and programs.

I am in 2 minds about this. It can have corrupt football officials who can use that FIFA ruling to their own benefit, Warner, Hayatou, the Korean guy, the Asian football president. There will always be conflicts.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
FIFA is a disrespectful organisation...You can't have a team that is representing a nation, using taxpayers money and the Government, the ELECTED body of the country mustn't have any input or say while the federation still ask to be granted taxpayers money...Nah that can't be right..Is time somebody put FIFA in their place..!!!

1]; } ?>