April 25, 2024, 11:39:06 PM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 62 - Semi-finals: Germany vs Spain  (Read 31055 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
WC 2010 - Match 62 - Semi-finals: Germany vs Spain
« on: July 03, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
Match 62 - Semi-finals - 07 July
Durban - Durban Stadium

Head-to-Head

GER:ESP
wins 8:6
draws 6
goals 27:22

Germany-Spain preview

There will be at least one European representative in the Final of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, after Germany and Spain go head-to-head in the second semi-final on Wednesday evening. The match gives the Germans the opportunity to avenge their defeat to a Fernando Torres goal in the final of UEFA EURO 2008. No less than 19 survivors from that game – eight Germans and 11 Spaniards – will be on show in Durban, yet much has changed since that night in Vienna.

La Roja have struggled at times to produce the same majestic football that swept them to the European title, while Joachim Low’s revamped unit are unquestionably the form side of the competition. Die Nationalmannschaft have been winning new fans with their adventurous approach and earning praise from even the most seasoned of observers, Franz Beckenbauer among them. “Germany have never played like this before,” said an admiring Kaiser after his compatriots had seen off Argentina in the last eight.

The match
Germany-Spain, Semi-Final, Durban, Wednesday, 7 July, 20.30 (local time).

While no side has scored more goals in the tournament than Germany’s 13, the statistics show that Spain have done more attacking than anyone. If those two pieces of information are anything to go by, this should be quite a match. The Germans have been nothing short of spectacular in South Africa. After putting four past Australia in the group phase, they clicked into top gear in the Round of 16, overwhelming England 4-1 with their rapid counter-attacking style and then put another four past Argentina in the quarters.

Though Spain have reached a semi-final for the first time ever, they have been unable to match the exacting standards they have set for themselves in recent times, reproducing their eye-catching possession football only sporadically. Victors by a single goal in their last three games, the European champions can justifiably point to some massed defences as the reason for their reduced creativity, but there will be no excuses for a lack of spark come kick-off time on Wednesday.

All the indications are that Vicente del Bosque will keep faith with the XI that started against Paraguay, which means a reprieve for the misfiring Torres, who has yet to score. As for opposite number Low, his most pressing problem is to find a replacement for the suspended Thomas Muller, with Piotr Trochowski, Toni Kroos and Cacau all in the frame.

Players to watch
Miroslav Klose v David Villa

The leading marksman at South Africa 2010 with five of his country’s six goals, the Spanish striker is just one away from joining Raul as La Roja’s top scorer of all time. No less important to his team than the in-form Villa, Klose is closing on another record. The German forward needs to find the back of the net one more time to draw level with Brazil’s Ronaldo as the leading goalscorer in FIFA World Cup finals history with 15 goals. One behind the Spaniard in the South Africa 2010 charts, Klose has not given up hope of making off with the adidas Golden Boot as well.

The stat
3 - The number of times the two sides have faced each other in FIFA World Cup matches. Germany have yet to lose, winning 2-1 at England 1966 and Spain 1982 and forcing a 1-1 draw at USA 1994.

What they said
“Spain are the favourites to my mind and their team play is just amazing. They don’t have one Messi, they have several, and they don’t make many mistakes either, unlike England and Argentina. We need to force them to make errors,” Joachim Low, Germany coach.

“We haven’t come this far to finish fourth. We are going to fight hard against Germany to reach the Final, which is our one and only objective. We’ve reached a landmark for Spanish football by getting past the quarter-finals, but we know the Germany match is the most important in our history, even more so than the EURO 2008 final in Austria,” Iker Casillas, Spain goalkeeper and captain.

Voice of the fans
“Each match is a different story. Every team Spain have played against so far have defended, which is what teams who fear us do. It will be different against Germany though. There will be more space and whoever controls the midfield will have every chance of winning. This is going to be the game of the World Cup, the Final played one game early,” FIFA.com user oficus 11 (Spain).

Have your say
Can Miroslav Klose and/or David Villa make history in Durban?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:41:31 PM by E-man »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 62 - Semi-finals: Germany vs Spain
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »
stueps , Spain aint winning this, go Germany!!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »
stueps , Spain aint winning this, go Germany!!

While this one have mih..... :drool: :drool:

Somehow German opposition for the Oranje is a more frightening prospect than a Spanish one......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:56:14 PM »
for real
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
Final will be Germany v Holland I'm afraid as I can't see Spain overcoming Germany!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
Final will be Germany v Holland I'm afraid as I can't see Spain overcoming Germany!

This is d type of game Torres might just wake up and decide iz time.... :devil: :devil: :devil:
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 03:25:18 AM »
Gernamy is playing as a 'team' and that make them favourites for me. The other 'sides' are a group of men that just happen to be on the same pitch.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:10:46 AM »
germany playin sweet ball, that an eman goal celebrations ;D :beermug: incourage mih to trow mih support  behind dem  ;D
I pity the fool....

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 06:33:19 AM »
This game so funny eh, right now the stars seem aligned for Germany, no doubt.  One thing we have not seen yet in the knock out phase is for them to concede 1st, if this happens vs Spain not sure how it would change the game, but football is a funny funny game
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 06:40:54 AM »
This Germany team reminds me of the Russians during the last Euros. Mash up teams..including a Dutch team that was unbeaten.. we all know what happened to that Russian team after. Close to call, but I feel Spain will win it in the middle of the park.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 06:51:01 AM »
This Germany team reminds me of the Russians during the last Euros. Mash up teams..including a Dutch team that was unbeaten.. we all know what happened to that Russian team after. Close to call, but I feel Spain will win it in the middle of the park.

Sense, that's why we play games.  Now if we could only get FIFA to clean up the beautiful game
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 10:06:54 AM »
mueller will miss this game due to the yellow he pick up against argentina. and cacau look to have an abdominal strain. hopefully cacau recover in time.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 10:07:48 AM »
Germany playing real ball right now. But the two teams I really hate are Germany and Italy so I backing Spain.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »
Spain shaking in their boots right now. They have yet to put on a truly convincing display and Germany say they want revenge for the Euros.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
Just trying to spark some football talk. I do not think Germany can play any better. Offensively they show variety in approach, in goal scoring and deadly on the transition. Defensively they are solid when organized and flawless in the transition. On Set Plays, well we talking Germany. This is where Spain will suffer most.

Now the big question is can Spain play better? Ball possession is not in question, they use it for offense and defending. Penetration is their main weakness. Is this simply a matter of player selection? Last game when Torres was removed and Fabragas brought in Spain looked marginally better, but still played too centrally and lacked width. Now when Pedro came on wow it was like a different team, mobile and showed attacking variety.

With the right selection Spain can in theory be a very different team from the one scouted over 4 games. Having said all that, my guess is Del Bosque will make the same mistake so many Spanish coaches made over the years. The "Raul syndrome" regardless of the effect Raul played. Now it seems its the same with Torres.   ???
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
Andres Iniesta will be the difference maker in this game.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 01:51:13 PM »
Andres Iniesta will be the difference maker in this game.

How so?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
This game so funny eh, right now the stars seem aligned for Germany, no doubt.  One thing we have not seen yet in the knock out phase is for them to concede 1st, if this happens vs Spain not sure how it would change the game, but football is a funny funny game

Didn't England get knocked out by Germany in a game where England scored 1st and the score ended up as 4 - 1 to Germany or is my memory failing me?!  ::)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »

Didn't England get knocked out by Germany in a game where England scored 1st and the score ended up as 4 - 1 to Germany or is my memory failing me?!  ::)

???

davyjenny nomination?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »

???

davyjenny nomination?

Oh yeah, ah just remember now, Germany scored 1st and England equalised in the 1st half then Germany hit them with 3 more in the 2nd half! Sorry my memory is getting bad!!  ;D

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »

???

davyjenny nomination?

Oh yeah, ah just remember now, Germany scored 1st and England equalised in the 1st half then Germany hit them with 3 more in the 2nd half! Sorry my memory is getting bad!!  ;D

Yuh memory still failin yuh, Germany hit dem 2 and then it was quickly 2-1 and really 2-2 but never officially, then 2 more in a rage to make it 4-1, but no seen, it's been a long month

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
blah, blah, blah...anybody who really know football know dat Spain doh have ah chance in hell ah beating Germany....just kidding...seriously though, Germany winning wid ease.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 03:06:33 AM »
Germans better be wary of the Tiki-takka ball that Spain plays. IF TORRES FINDS HIS SHOOTING BOOTS, THE GERMAN PANZERS WILL BUCKLE! Spain is a good team that is finding their balance slowly.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 08:42:15 AM by willi »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:28 AM »
really liked this article ...........take wisdom from all sources and combine them to make something good
I pity the fool....

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 07:52:16 AM »
paul de octopus picking spain

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 08:04:33 AM »
really liked this article ...........take wisdom from all sources and combine them to make something good

Nice piece! He also has the talent. Ozil, Muller, Khedira, Cacau all bring something to the table & with a little difference. Mixed in with Klose and Podolski, experience and goals scoring ability, they have been the talk of the WC. Should not have been surprising though. Semi 2006 (at home), Euro 08 Final and now. they have been knocking on the door
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
Iker Casillas Fernández will be difference in this game  ;)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
paul de octopus picking spain

He's just part of the tactics now, at this level he's switching it up to boost the opponents' overconfidence.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 10:19:07 AM »
This world cup is already determined by the numbers....

1. Brazil won the World Cup in 1994; before that they also won in 1970.

Adding 1970 + 1994= 3964

2. Argentina won its last World Cup in 1986; before that they also won in 1978.

Adding 1978 + 1986= 3964

3. Germany won its last World Cup in 1990; before that they also won in 1974.

Adding 1974 + 1990= 3964

4. Brazil also won the World Cup in 2002; before that they also won in 1962.

Adding 1962+ 2002= 3964

5. Therefore, if you want to know what nation is going to win the World Cup in 2010, you only have to subtract 2010 from the magic number that we have determined: 3964.

3964 minus 2010 = 1954...

In 1954 the World Cup was won by Germany!!!

Probably not scientific... but pretty interesting...
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
This world cup is already determined by the numbers....

1. Brazil won the World Cup in 1994; before that they also won in 1970.

Adding 1970 + 1994= 3964

2. Argentina won its last World Cup in 1986; before that they also won in 1978.

Adding 1978 + 1986= 3964

3. Germany won its last World Cup in 1990; before that they also won in 1974.

Adding 1974 + 1990= 3964

4. Brazil also won the World Cup in 2002; before that they also won in 1962.

Adding 1962+ 2002= 3964

5. Therefore, if you want to know what nation is going to win the World Cup in 2010, you only have to subtract 2010 from the magic number that we have determined: 3964.

3964 minus 2010 = 1954...

In 1954 the World Cup was won by Germany!!!

Probably not scientific... but pretty interesting...

yeah probably not  ::)

:devil:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>