April 28, 2024, 08:33:21 PM

Author Topic: Which Tobago United ?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Which Tobago United ?
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:02:39 AM »
You never know which Tobago United will show up for a game. Last week I witnessed a side showing lack of experience loose 4 - 1 to the Pro League Champs Joe Public. Now they were not disgraced but their lack of experience showed in the way that they conceided the goals.
Yesterday was even more confusing...we thought it was going to be the same old story when North East Stars scored, but then Tobago United turned up to the party and boy did they come to play. By the end of the 1st half they were up 2 goals to 1. A deft chip over and advancing goal keeper by the strong running and skillful "Showtime" and a header from a free kick meters in from the corner flag put in by the influential Dwayne Jack. As the 2nd half went by their were chances at both end with North East Stars even hitting the post. before the game ended Tobago United had at least four good ooprtunities to add to their advantage and should have been clear if North Eat Stars.....
Then.....as with most games last year.....they let the game slip away. Now don't be mistaken, Errol Mac Farlane is a class player and deserved his 2 goals, but Tobago United of old showed they ugly head that is their legacy. The game ended ina 2 - 2 draw.

This team as always has the abality to play and compete with the big boys of the Por League...but they can't seem to find a way to beat them. Things should be different as the addition of some of Tobago's better players have already added quality to this side. The one called "Showtime" is a good player and should add a few goals to the Tobago United cause this year. Azel Taylor in midfield looks good and should get better as the season fo on.. Fore the first time they were able to field they first string keeper this season and it showed. Had he been their last week it would not have been 4-1. People there is nore to come from this side this season. There are lots of other names tat I could point out but I have run out of time. Will continue to give updates on their home games this season.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: Which Tobago United ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
So yuh win d $50 or wha? i left the game last week shaking my head. Chamions League final kept me away yesterday.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:27:33 AM »
Nah but my son did !!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »
Check your PM Rastaman....
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
Thats a fair report, Rastaman, but you forgot that Stars Sean Fraser was denied 3 times by the Utd keeper. Also, towards the end, Stars were looking stronger with Tobago playing on the counter attack, being penned into their own half as North East first seeked an equaliser, then the winner that proved out of reach.

Tobago only have a 16 man squad and some of those are very young, and I hope they can raise some extra money to strengthen the squad. As Rastaman said, things should be different. Also, playing at 4pm means supporter turnout is low. Tobago are trying to improve the matchday experience like the half time shoot out and concessions, but the Pro League should insist on a 6pm or 7pm kick off. You can get a guest house for TT$100 for the night, so teams should stay over.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:48:20 AM »
Thats a fair report, Rastaman, but you forgot that Stars Sean Fraser was denied 3 times by the Utd keeper. Also, towards the end, Stars were looking stronger with Tobago playing on the counter attack, being penned into their own half as North East first seeked an equaliser, then the winner that proved out of reach.

Tobago only have a 16 man squad and some of those are very young, and I hope they can raise some extra money to strengthen the squad. As Rastaman said, things should be different. Also, playing at 4pm means supporter turnout is low. Tobago are trying to improve the matchday experience like the half time shoot out and concessions, but the Pro League should insist on a 6pm or 7pm kick off. You can get a guest house for TT$100 for the night, so teams should stay over.
Sorry but I actually ran out of time during my post...
You are quite right Tobago United players or mainly their lone striker "Showtime" was a spent force by the end of the game and was providing no outlet pass for his defence.
The fella playing right wing..Pavel somthing also cost us the game. Some poor decisions denied "Showtine" some clear runs at the goal keeper.
A little better timing and finishing by Tobago United players and the game should have been done and dusted.
I did make mention that they now have their first string keeper available, the the score line might have been 10 - 2 to North East Stars if he was not there.
The reason the games start at 4pm is because they do not have access to the lights...not sure if there is a problem with them or that is to help reduce the cost of rental of the Stadium.
And actually North Easr Stars were said to be in Tobago since the day before so some teams are already staying in Tobago...it is a matter of their choice.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 09:04:12 AM »
North East arrived friday and trained at Plymouth. But I think most teams want to save money and fly in early, play the game and fly out. Not sure about the light situation.

I know Peter Granville is not popular with everyone, but he has a hard job over there and he tries to make the best of things. I just think that he should get more support, from Tobagoans and the ProLeague.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »
North East arrived friday and trained at Plymouth. But I think most teams want to save money and fly in early, play the game and fly out. Not sure about the light situation.

I know Peter Granville is not popular with everyone, but he has a hard job over there and he tries to make the best of things. I just think that he should get more support, from Tobagoans and the ProLeague.

Everybody saying that he should get more support but..... no one is stepping up to the plate... Not the players, the supporters and not the sponsors.

Saying that I see that they have a larger number of Tobagonians on the team this year. Hopefully this will help bring out more support. This will bring in a little more revenue. With this they might be able to do a little more for themselves and untimately win over the sponsors.

I am doing my part by giving some updates on here and also my team provides the ball boys for their games. Hope I can help their cause, because ultimately I want more Tobagonians in the Pro League. Including players from my team. The more they are exposed to professional football the more likely they will learn what it takes to compete at this level.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
A once national cap player from Tobago, by the name of Ashford Legerton has joined the books of Tobago United. it is my understanding that he was out of football for the most part of 2 seasons following surgery. In addition to this some of their returning players now have their International Clearance which is taking longer to go through now with a new system that was put in place. Lets see if these additions to the squad will make a difference to their performances on the pitch.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »
Rastaman: Do u think Curtis Job (imo) and maybe Krishawn Joseph from stokely vale should be offered an opportunity to play for Tobago United?? Discipline is a problem but i think they are good enough. Curtis is one of the best strikers in tobago if not the best...Lemme know what u think

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »
Well This game was not as good as the one against North East Stars. This Police is not the same as last year, much more mature and disciplined. Now this game could have ended 3-3 or 4-3 to TU. Twice Police hit the wood work and Kevon "Showtime" Woodley delayed on the ball with one that he should have put away from right in the box.
TU line up with one striker up front and at times it works against them, especially because they play so deep and invite pressure on to themselves...that is the reason NE Stars were able to come back ......and Police almost did the same. As talented as Showtime is....and he showed some of what he is made of..... his work rate drops off at times, leaving his team without an outlet pass.
This team this year can score some goals and it can only help to make the League more interesting this year.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »
The game today was not much different from other games. Tobago United setteled first and had probably two or three good chances to go infront in the first half. These chances fell to Kevon "Showtime" Woodley and the skipper Kayode McInnon.  Rangers seemed to be getting fustrated and you could start to hear the players arguing amoung themselves. There were one positional change in the starting lineup for TU with the very popular Atty moved into center of midfield. Atty is known for his speed, tough marking and hard tackling, which usually sees him doing marking jobs on the likes of Hayden Tinto(they are about the same height). Atty brought his tanacity and work rate to the middle of the park and helped balance the team.
Only minutes into the 2nd half (although I wasn't watching) a ball came over from the right and was tapped in by left winger Raul who came on as a substitute in the first half for the Injured right winger Pavel. The 2nd goal came through good presure. TU won the ball from the defence and the right winger lobbed the keeper.  Showtine rounded off the scoring before TU ended the game with 10 men due to injury to Atty. He literally put his body on line for the team.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »
Thanks Rasta, we finally getting some Tobago reports, woulda be good to get de line ups to.

Doc gone and he start of good with dropping us update but since PNM lost he like he give up on we too.  :rotfl:
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 07:07:20 AM »
Thanks Rasta, we finally getting some Tobago reports, woulda be good to get de line ups to.

Doc gone and he start of good with dropping us update but since PNM lost he like he give up on we too.  :rotfl:
LOL @ DOC.... hope he recover from that beating (I have)

I am working on getting the full team roster so that I can give some more in dept commentary

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 08:25:17 PM »
Well it was 4 nil to San Juan Jab. I have so much to say in this report that I cannot even try to do so tonight. All I can say for now is that after watching SJB tonight I have the answer to the most hated Pro League Club thread.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 09:43:19 PM »
Well it was 4 nil to San Juan Jab. I have so much to say in this report that I cannot even try to do so tonight. All I can say for now is that after watching SJB tonight I have the answer to the most hated Pro League Club thread.

Guerra with a hat trick !!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »
Ah still ent get over that San Juan Jab beating last week but here goes.

This week they played WConnection and the only difference between the two teams was the fact that TU were missing its two most influential players in Dwane Jack in defense and Kevon "Showtime" Woodley in attack. Other than that the two teams were evenly matched. The two goals were scored of defensive blunders...by the same player who on both times failed to clear his lines when under pressure. Tried to be cute when it would have been better to kick the ball out for a corner..on both occasions. Two mistakes and two goals end of story.

P.S. The two players were the recipient of red cards in the San Juan Jab game.

One of these days ah go give the run down on that game.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »
Well Well Well....Which Tobago United ??

Today they played an Army team that was probably complacent after spending a week "vacationing" in Tobago. If this is anywhere close to how they played all season then something is very wrong with the other teams in the Pro League. They did nothing special at all and had it not been for an absolutely pathetic finishing they would have been coming from 3 - nil down before the end of the first half...... but in reality they ended the half one goal to the good. I took my eye of the game for one moment and I still can't figure who the ball squeezed past the first post, either direct from the corner or from a header.
The 2nd half started and again DF were doing nothing special and not breaking down TU.......then Red Card...and TU down to 10 men. Still Army could not break them down
Then....Red Card..... and TU were down to 9 men. Still nothing much changed
Then .....Red Card... now down to 8 men.
By this time most of the spectators were totally disgusted not only with the referee but with DF lack of creativity....they still looked ordinary.
Ok so DF on the attack now as they should by and then a TU player is down in the area, no foul called by the referee and DF score against "7" men. They also put one in in the final few minutes but that was window dressing on a game that was ended as a contest a long time ago.

Now note...I am not complaining against the red cards as they were deserved in the most part...but although two players were carrying yellow cards already it seemed as though the referee game them straight red cards instead of a 2nd yellow(from what I saw)

Information reaching me is that DF will be training tomorrow as coach Ross Russel was not at all happy with the  game..... and after the game one Devon Jorsling could be heard loudly berating his players for their lack of passion....The coach though rebutted this stating that he was interested in the three points not the 'golden boot'.
Well next week TU will be once again with out their potent striker Kevon "Showtime" Woodley, their insperational last stopper Dwayne Jack and this time their captain Kayode McKinnon (not sure of the spelling as I am still to get the team roster from Mr. Granville)

The Trinidiadian approach of attacking the refs and lines men is at times sickening.....both the players and the supporters. This is what got the San Juan Jab player sent off and started a rash of red cards in the last few games. SJJ and DF players did not win the games on the basis of football. The TU players though have to adjust to this style of "play" if they are to get any points for the rest of the season.  This tactic is used to take away what ever little home advantage the team gets from playing in Tobago. But the referees allow it to happen and the fact that at bigger games such as DF and SJJ they have more Trini's than Tobagonians in the crowd does not help at all.

All I can say is that I wish them well on their travels to play games in Trinidad.

1]; } ?>