June 17, 2024, 12:03:29 AM

Author Topic: Why football’s biggest stars failed to shine  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
Why football’s biggest stars failed to shine
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b4NTD

Follow Dan Wetzel on Twitter at @DanWetzel
Diego Maradona owned the 1986 World Cup tournament, leading Argentina to the title.

CAPE TOWN, South Africa – Football’s superstar players never materialized here at the World Cup. The game’s best – Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Wayne Rooney, etc. – often failed to lift their play and, in turn, their teams, to a level this grand stage demands.

The conventional wisdom on why: They were too selfish, unable to adapt to the team concept of a national squad.

Then there’s Diego Maradona’s take: Unlike the past, the stars weren’t selfish enough.

“Today the players are more collective, more team players,” the Argentina coach said after his own star-studded team was bounced from the World Cup. “They want to do everything with their teammates. It is a different type of game right now.”

This goes against so much of what we’ve come to believe, and expect, in sports. The reason that Uruguay and the Netherlands square off here Tuesday in a semifinal is because they embraced selfless, team-oriented play.

Such a mentality is celebrated.

What Maradona is suggesting is that this line of thinking has become so widespread it’s actually killed the star player, who no longer acts like a star player. Rather than demanding his place in the natural pecking order of pure talent and past performance, they sink back into the pack.

Such thinking would carry little weight except it is Maradona who said it. Who could know more about what’s needed for a talented player to morph into a larger-than-life superstar and dominate the World Cup? No one owned this event the way Maradona did in 1986 when he led Argentina to the title.

His implication is that the star needs to act like the star. That he is better than his teammates is a given. Rather than apologize for it, he must remind them of it, make them respect it. He must lead not by being one of the guys but by being above the guys. It’s the cult of personality, if you will.

“I think we were more selfish,” Maradona said, which has to be the first time an old player said that about a bygone era. “Maybe before it was about being selfish players who [made the] rest of the team work for us.”

Today’s players receive remarkable hype – television commercials, video games and media attention. They are single-name personalities around the globe.

Yet you’d never hear one say that the rest of the team works for them. They’d be vilified. Instead today’s stars go out of their way to support their teammates and talk publicly about how no one player is more important than the other.

Only some players are more important, Maradona notes.

Consider the most competitive environments on earth – the military battlefield, the flight deck of a commercial airliner or a hospital operating table.

This is where failure is not an option. In those cultures, the delineation between the star (the general, the lead pilot) and the others (private, flight attendant) is clear. Often socialization between classes is prohibited – enlisted men do not dine with officers – and the word of the higher-ranked person must be respected.

When having open-heart surgery, no patient would care if the lead surgeon is friends with or helps empower the nurse. In fact, the idea that the nurse would fear disappointing the lead surgeon and would clearly defer to him at all times might be considered a positive. You’d want the most brilliant talent to be the leader.

In Maradona’s day, he says, that carried over to a football team. He was Diego Maradona and they were not.

“Time changes in life,” Maradona said.

In this time, the star player must be humble and supportive. And not just on the field, but in all parts of team life. Obviously all players know they need others to make them better in the game. Someone has to pass them the ball. Or receive a pass. But off the field, is one for all, all for one really the best concept?

It’s difficult to say. Maradona only knows the mentality that made him lead a country to World Cup glory. It certainly isn’t the only way.

Perhaps it is one of them, though. And with most of the world’s top individual players home watching the semifinals, with criticism of their selfish play ringing through their heads, maybe the opposite is true. Maybe they weren’t selfish enough.

Maybe Maradona’s correct. Maybe the football world has gone soft.

NOTE: The word "soccer" has been removed and replaced with the word "football" for reasons of clarity and correctness...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why football’s biggest stars failed to shine
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
Their club season too long. They are fatigued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:30:05 AM »
maybe... or  maybe El Diez has a point and dey gorn sorf...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:38:08 AM »
The man raise some valid points though
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »
Then stars fail because other shine bright.

Forlan, Snidier, Villa all shinning.

everybody cant win.

Depending on the team you on you might shine or not shine.

That is just the way it goes.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:56 AM »
So wha bout Ronaldo?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
So wha bout Ronaldo?
He alone just put that theory to bed.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
So wha bout Ronaldo?
He alone just put that theory to bed.

Maybe not.

Perhaps if the star does not have the backing and support of the coach, as in Ronaldo's case when Quieroz said

"Portugal coach Carlos Queiroz has responded to criticism directed at him by Cristiano Ronaldo in the wake of their World Cup defeat to Spain by declaring that no individual is bigger than the national side.

Ronaldo has since tried to explain his comments and Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has also weighed into the debate but Queiroz has insisted that players who think they are above the national team don't have to play.

"While I am in charge of the national team, if the size of the shirt is too small for anybody, then they do not need to be here," Queiroz told a press conference before noting that Ronaldo should contain his frustration and show some respect.

"In games of this intensity it is understandable that some frustrations are evident. At present, it may be that the frustrations are not sufficiently educated to be well contained.

"I don't want to win an easy friendship with him, I just want his respect. I want to make my players better. If I need a lifetime to make them understand that the frustration must be contained I'm going to do it.

"Nobody is above the national selection and never will be while I'm here."

It seems to me as if there's a clash of generations in these statements.

Let's assume Ronaldo is trying to be the player that Maradona suggests.  He IS the star.  He's better than the other players, and they should not only know it, but defer to it for the betterment of the team.

Versus

Quieroz whose statements ON THE SURFACE are based on team first, personality later.

Both want what's best for THE TEAM

But is it a case of the star disrupting the team concept by demanding more responsibility and more of the ball?

Or is it more a case of the coach stifling the creativity and genius of his star player to the detriment on the team?

Interesting debate IMO
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »
The man raise some valid points though

Dais wha I sayin'... If we check it, The Germans playin' more like Holland, and Holland playin' wid exactly de same German efficiency... But is ah "team vibes" not "ah superstar vs The World" mentality...

Very interesting debate / points raised...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Look it depends on the players mentality and the position they play. Look Pele was a susperstar and even though everybody would gravitate towards him, the rest of the team would perform in a complimentary for him. Pele respected all his team mates and they respected him. Pele was the deadliest striker.

On the other hand Cruyf and Diego are peas in a pod. Same type of players who dominated their teams with their style and egos. Remember they were attacking miidfile/play makers. Mercurial personalities. Maybe that why they were so great. The teamates of both these players respected them. I have no issues with their attitude on the field but after the game everybody equal as far as I am concern. But it does not happens so. These guys ego go with them to their grave. Add Platini to those two. Zidane and Gullit have egos but they seems to be level headed. Ronaldihno somewhere among them. But he love dance and party.

1]; } ?>