April 19, 2024, 04:50:26 AM

Author Topic: It should be compulsary for TT Youth Footballers to Learn a 2nd Language  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
In order for our youths to not have a limitation of places they play and ply their trade. The ttff should start emphasizing the need for all youth footballers who intend to make football a career, that they learn spanish and are fluent in the language.

Other languages should also be on top of the list, such as french and german as well. This will allow them to have a greater scope of opportunity for them to play in europe and not limit them to the UK and english speaking countries alone.

I have heard many individuals on this board speak of the language barrier and so forth, well spanish is the 2nd language in TT, all footballers should take the effort and time to learn another language because if the UK is not the place for them in a football career, they will have many other choices in Europe.

What I would also like to know is why european scouts very rarely pick up TT players? Is is because of the language barrier alone or other factors? I think we need more in TT to scout and be agents for the players. If they know a 2nd language it would make it easier for themselves.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:01:12 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
add italian and dutch to the list. i know of many footballers who have played in europe and know more than 2 languages which has helped them immensely

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Could you imagine JW saying it will be compulsory for T&T Youth Footballers learn a second language,i understand where you coming from but these guys already strugleing to learn to play the game of Football much less a second language,allyu driving them Footballers to play Minor league more and more. :devil:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:35:46 AM by Coop's »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Could you imagine JW saying it will be compulsory for T&T Youth Footballers learn a second language,i understand where you coming from but these guys already strugleing to learn to play the game of Football must less a second language,allyu driving them Footballers to play Minor league more and more. :devil:

breds the standard has to raise in order to compete in the footballing world today

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
All now Carlos Tevez still cyah speak English
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

i understand your point, thats why i asked previously what other factors are involved if its not the language barrier? why arent agents and scouts coming and it lies with tts underachievement, we are labelled the perennial underachievers of the region. but there must be more other than rankings and underachieving as a national team.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
other factors may be the insurance issue with the ttff and the way they are run in terms of lack of organization and transparency.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Let the football speak for itself. We could have all kinda men talking German and Finnish but still running shitty ball. The league needs to develop a large enough fan base to make playing domestic football a viable career and begin to build its name by doing well in Champions League and beyond.

If you really believe we have the talent why worry about foreign agents and scouts? If you really believe we have an undervalued asset (talented players) then exploit that situation by investing money in a team or towards the development of young players. Why wait for a foreigner to walk in and make it look easy?

Of all the youth playing abroad in the last 4 years, how many beside Hyland have distinguished themselves in foreign leagues? For every 'talented' youngster in T&T there are probably 10 or more in several African nations just as good or better in the same position. Throw in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Germany, the U.S. etc. and then tell me why any scout/agent would put T&T near the top of their shopping list.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

giggsy11

We might want to teach them English first!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Spanish use to be compulsory, at least for GCE in my times.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Let the football speak for itself. We could have all kinda men talking German and Finnish but still running shitty ball. The league needs to develop a large enough fan base to make playing domestic football a viable career and begin to build its name by doing well in Champions League and beyond.

If you really believe we have the talent why worry about foreign agents and scouts? If you really believe we have an undervalued asset (talented players) then exploit that situation by investing money in a team or towards the development of young players. Why wait for a foreigner to walk in and make it look easy?

Of all the youth playing abroad in the last 4 years, how many beside Hyland have distinguished themselves in foreign leagues? For every 'talented' youngster in T&T there are probably 10 or more in several African nations just as good or better in the same position. Throw in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Germany, the U.S. etc. and then tell me why any scout/agent would put T&T near the top of their shopping list.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

if the player is talented, it would cost them less to buy the player locally from tt than a brazillian, as john barnes and few others stated, south americans and africans are saturating the market. they need new players and the caribbean is an excellent place where they can pay less and get just as good raw talent.

if you have a shopping list you want the most for the least, thats why the caribbean is a good option, to be totally honest the tt players aint playing no garbage football, its the training and coaching from youth level go up that needs the work.

the system as a whole needs restructuring, put any tt player with potential in the dutch system for instance and then you would see how good the players really are
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 07:22:37 PM by Controversial »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 if the player is talented, it would cost them less to buy the player locally from tt than a brazillian, as john barnes and few others stated, south americans and africans are saturating the market. they need new players and the caribbean is an excellent place where they can pay less and get just as good raw talent

OK, but what I'm saying is if you see an inefficiency in the market, recognize it as an opportunity and place your money where your mouth is.

If as you say the market for Brazilians and Africans is 'oversaturated' then surely the foreigners will soon realize what glorious football riches we harbouring over here and eventually come stampeding thru the gates.

Invest some $$$ in a team or young player so that when they come you are positioned to benefit. Why not call up South End and offer to pay airfare and lodgings for their U-15 team to go to 2-3 good Central/South American tourneys per year til they reach U-19, in return for rights to X% of their sale value or whatever.

Simple...yuh doing your part to help football AND making money. You could even offer them Dutch lessons.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Whey you does come from with these ideas dred, lol.  So which language should they hedge they bets on and learn?  Let's say they learn Spanish... how that helping man if all he getting is a contract in Belgium or Turkey?  As Zandolie say, let the football speak for itself... speaking ah next language ent go help you get contract... playing high level football will.  Once contract in place then yuh could worry about learning the language of the country where yuh plying yuh trade... cyah put de cart before de horse.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Ouch!  :D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Ouch!  :D

ay ay ay! man does speak how dey normally does an still gehin big contrack eh! ketch yuhself!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Whey you does come from with these ideas dred, lol.  So which language should they hedge they bets on and learn?  Let's say they learn Spanish... how that helping man if all he getting is a contract in Belgium or Turkey?  As Zandolie say, let the football speak for itself... speaking ah next language ent go help you get contract... playing high level football will.  Once contract in place then yuh could worry about learning the language of the country where yuh plying yuh trade... cyah put de cart before de horse.

im simply going on others comments, many individuals on the board said that language is a barrier for our players in other european countries and I have seen it happen before. I have family who has played in europe and they speak close to 4 different languages which helped them.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
doesnt latas speak portugese and learnt it there? knowing the language of the country helps the player immensely, i dont think anyone could deny that. i think players from tt are too heavily focused on playing in england because it negates them having to learn a different language. even gay who is playing in germany, will most likely if hes there for a number of years, would want to learn german.

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
doesnt latas speak portugese and learnt it there? knowing the language of the country helps the player immensely, i dont think anyone could deny that. i think players from tt are too heavily focused on playing in england because it negates them having to learn a different language. even gay who is playing in germany, will most likely if hes there for a number of years, would want to learn german.
I agree....the majority of them are geographically retarded and not exposed to anything except epl. sad part is going off of their skill level, understanding of the game fitness etc...None of the current bunch WILL EVER MAKE IT IN THE EPL. EVEEEEEEEEER. so they need to get agents like hyland and creep b4 they walk.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
Wey yuh trying tuh say that other languages could  play better football than people who still learning tuh speak English.Sorry my bad but develop and raise the standard in T&T first. Why yuh think they have a Technical director in place. Not because it's foreign means that the standard is better than ours if we raise the bar we will get notice  
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Wey yuh trying tuh say that other languages could  play better football than people who still learning tuh speak English.Sorry my bad but develop and raise the standard in T&T first. Why yuh think they have a Technical director in place. Not because it's foreign means that the standard is better than ours if we raise the bar we will get notice  

where did i say that? i said that players in tt need to expand their horizons outside the epl, of course their skill level, fitness and so forth needs to be at a high level before they leave the shores. but they shouldn't allow the language barrier to kill their chances.

hyland, gay, latas, roberts and even spann have done well in going outside the epl and uk at large. tt players should not focus entirely on the epl when excellent football opps exists in europe.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

where did i say that? i said that players in tt need to expand their horizons outside the epl, of course their skill level, fitness and so forth needs to be at a high level before they leave the shores. but they shouldn't allow the language barrier to kill their chances.

hyland, gay, latas, roberts and even spann have done well in going outside the epl and uk at large. tt players should not focus entirely on the epl when excellent football opps exists in europe.

I totally understand what you saying and that you were talking about tt players but look at the big pic surrounding you comment.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

I totally understand what you saying and that you were talking about tt players but look at the big pic surrounding you comment.

the bigger picture is players need to educate themselves and know that the footballing world doesnt revolve around the epl and english speaking countries and it would make it easier and more useful for them learning another language to not limit their opportunities.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
He's not 100% but he does speak a lil english plus he understands it so it doesnt rly matter

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
He's not 100% but he does speak a lil english plus he understands it so it doesnt rly matter

if he didnt understand it, i could imagine the problem it would create for him in the epl and with the coaches and management. when you are going over strategy and analysis it is vital for a player to grasp it.

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
No need for learnin a language when u dont even know where u gonna ply your trade.

Plus, if a team pick you up, it is only then you start to learn the language. You dont have to know it right away. You learn the language with a tutor or some sort of learning setting, not to mention with your teammates. For example, Hyland aint know French or Belgium slang before he got loaned to Zulte, Americans dont know Norwegian or Swedish before they get picked up from a team there. Sealy aint know Hebrew before he went sweatin in Israel.

If a team want to pick your ass up, they go scout you and talk to you and your agent and see wuz d scn.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

the bigger picture is players need to educate themselves and know that the footballing world doesnt revolve around the epl and english speaking countries and it would make it easier and more useful for them learning another language to not limit their opportunities.
Aye!! if a team want yuh and you fit into their system, It just does not matter what ever language you speak bottom line.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:00:45 PM by davyjenny1 »

giggsy11

It is much easier to learn a 2nd language when you are forced to speak the language due to the need to communicate and interact with others who speak the language. Sitting in a classroom and learning out of a book doesn't mean you will speak Spanish when you leave the classroom if you only interact with people who speak English.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What language you need to speak to switch the play from one side of the field to the next??
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:04:56 PM by davyjenny1 »

Dumplingdinho

they need to learn to trap a ball first.

1]; } ?>