March 28, 2024, 03:20:53 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 64 - Final for 1st & 2nd place (11 July): Holland vs Spain  (Read 62141 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Match 64 - Final for 1st & 2nd place - 11 July
Johannesburg - Soccer City Stadium

Head-to-Head

Spain    Netherlands 
 8 Matches Played 8 
 3 Wins 4 
 1 Draws 1 
 4 Losses 3 
 12 Goals for 10 
 10 Goals against 12

Holland-Spain preview

2010 FIFA World Cup Championship Game Features the Netherlands Vs. Spain
This Sunday, July 11, the Netherlands vs. Spain World Cup Finals game will be contested. It marks the end of the month-long festivities, upsets and heartbreaks of the 2010 World Cup.

Heading into the Quarterfinals, it seemed like the 2010 World Cup was destined to be all about South America. However, with Spain vs. Netherlands, we have an all-Europe Finals game, and will have a European World Champion. Additionally, neither team has ever won the World Cup, so there will be a new winner adding their names to the illustrious, short list of countries who have won the title.

The Netherlands vs. Spain game time is Sunday at 2:30 PM Eastern. The game will be broadcast on ABC, and the pre-match coverage will begin at 1:30. Until then, take a look at this Netherlands vs. Spain preview to get ready for the last hurrah of this year's tournament.

The third place match of Uruguay vs. Germany will be held on Saturday, July 10, at 2:30 PM Eastern on ABC. It marks Germany's second consecutive trip to the runners-up game in the World Cup.

The Netherlands vs. Spain Preview World Cup Finals Game

The Oranje of The Netherlands ride into the 2010 World Cup Finals match with a perfect tournament record. They have gone 6-0, and along the way have knocked out the powerful Brazilian side, the co-favorites to win the tournament. They haven't lost an international match in about 25 matches, and entered the tournament as the number 4 team in the latest FIFA rankings.

The Netherlands has never won a World Cup Championship, and twice previously reached the Finals match, in 1974 and 1978. The team doesn't utilize the Total Football style of old, but they are a balanced squad with dynamic players all over the field.

Wesley Sneijder has been lighting up the competition, with a total of 5 goals, many on headers and redirects from close quarters. Heading into the World Cup Finals match against Spain, Sneijder is tied for the most goals scored in the tournament.

Meanwhile, Arjen Robben is healthy and at full speed, and has scored twice. In the match against Uruguay, it was the captain Giovanni Van Bronckhorst who opened up the scoring, putting in one of the best goals of the entire tournament, a long range shot that found its home perfectly in the upper corner of the net.

Rather surprisingly, this is Spain's first trip to a World Cup Finals match. They have lost just twice in more than 50 previous matches, and as the number 2 team in the last FIFA rankings, were the co-favorites along the Brazil to win the Championship. What a fitting way for them to reach the Finals match as well, rehashing their 1-0 victory over Germany to win the 2008 UEFA Euro Championship. It was also their third straight 1-0 win.

La Furia Roja has been led by David Villa, who's tied with Sneijder for the World Cup goal scoring lead with 5. Villa's dominance has been crucial, since striker Fernando Torres has never really gotten healthy and rounded into game shape.

Xavi has been dictating the game from the middle of the field as per usual, and it was Barcelona captain Carles Puyol who headed in the winner against Germany. Goalkeeper and captain Iker Casillas has come up huge time and time again, making great saves and great decisions in each and every game to give his side a chance to win.

Spain has been known to have the occasional lapse in judgment or focus, but make no mistake about it, they are the superior team to Netherlands. If you had to start a team with any two players, they would most likely come from the Spanish side, from the likes of Casillas, Villa, Xavi and Puyol, although Sneijder and Robben of the Netherlands wouldn't be too far behind.

No team has ever won the World Cup after losing their first match of the tournament, so Spain is looking to break that curse. The far more substantial curse they are trying to break though is winning their first World Championship. After winning UEFA Euro two years ago, it's only natural that this group of Spanish players raises their credentials that one, final step. A 1-0 victory from the feet of David Villa, with Casillas robbing Sneijder of an equalizer would be the perfect ending.

Netherlands vs. Spain Prediction: 1-0 Spain

Sources:

ESPN.com
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:51:30 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline santacruz

• Full Warrior
  • This year is the Dutch year!
    • View Profile
will sniper and robben play with enough bad mind as being surplus to requirements at real madrid? maybe not as this is really ah barcelona Spain.
Fatima old boy graduate in '95 from Form 5, '97 from Form 6, lived in Santa Cruz.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Holland taking this

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Holland will FINALLY win their FIRST world Cup..and they deserve it

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
E-man like he gone off to mourn.

Say what, that is how it go.

As much as Spain does dictate the pace and style of play, Holland have to come out looking to win. Yuh might still die, but at least you dead with a sword in your hand and not hiding behind a rock. 
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
My Oranje better battle or else!!...  :challenge: :duel: :flamethrower: :flamethrower:

GO ORANJE!!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
PASS TORO TORO!! - GO SPAIN GO!!!
 :devil:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:24:25 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
1 more win away from the greatest football prize...............HUP HOLLAND HUP :beermug:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
These two have never met before in a major tournament....interesting.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
Howard Webb
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »
To referee The Final between Spain and Holland in Jo'burg... The first English ref since 74 (again involving Holland)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:03:34 AM by bongonatti 11 »
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Howard Webb
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »
Good ref- let's the action flow and communicates well with players...doesn't let the game get broken up by barely-more-than-normal-physical-play-niggling-fouls. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Howard Webb
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »
That is a big call for Webb because it is rare for a ref to get a CL final and a WC final in the same year. Rosetti would have been favourite if not for his 2nd round debacle.

I normally don't get into knowing refs and what they do but whole season people have been criticizing his form in the EPL and people were linking it to his appointment last year to the 2010 WC roster and the supposed pressure he might be having to look the part of one of the world's best referees.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
I liked the Ref who called the Germany/Spain match...I don't know, but ah find Mr Webb does have a kinda attitude and try to dictate the way the game should be played instead of letting it be.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I liked the Ref who called the Germany/Spain match...I don't know, but ah find Mr Webb does have a kinda attitude and try to dictate the way the game should be played instead of letting it be.

Big Up!

I saw the stats of that game last night and if memory serves me right (the Germany/Spain ref) he didn't give out any yellow cards....I stand to be corrected....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
Germany (GER)   Statistics   Spain (ESP)
5   Shots   13
2   Shots on goal   5
0   Goals Scored   1
9   Fouls Committed   7
7   Fouls Suffered   9
6   Corner kicks   7
6   Free kicks Shots (scored)   7
0 / 0   Penalty Kicks (Goals/Shots)   0 / 0
2   Offsides   1
0   Own Goals   0
0   Yellow cards   0
0   Second yellow card and red card   0
0   Red Cards   0
37   Actual playing time   39
49%   Possession (%)   51%

Referee Viktor KASSAI (HUN)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:04:40 AM by bongonatti 11 »
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile

Big Up!

Agreed not a fan of Webb I find him weak on the big decisions. But I had a feeling he would get the final. I liked the ref yesterday and the Argentinian Ref.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Howard Webb is without a question one of the best officials in the game and thus assignment doesn't really surprise me.  About the only blemish on his record to me is the chaotic Manchester derby at Old Trafford this part season... that was utter madness at the end.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Best ref at the cup so far....fully deserved

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach

Big Up!

yeah he was good but these appointments are what refs work for and FIFA like to share the fruits. if you get a semi yuh not going to get a final.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Big Up!

Agreed not a fan of Webb I find him weak on the big decisions. But I had a feeling he would get the final. I liked the ref yesterday and the Argentinian Ref.

Howard Webb is good.  Very good, in fact....but I have seen him make plenty mistakes.....he ain't all what he's being hyped up to be.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile

Big Up!

Howard Webb is good.  Very good, in fact....but I have seen him make plenty mistakes.....he ain't all what he's being hyped up to be.

I agree with that, I think his best trait is the way he communicates with the players but I don't have him up there with Rosetti and Nielsen just yet in terms of getting all the calls correct. I don't even think he stood out as anything more than ordinary for me in this tournament.

I found the ref who carried Holland v Japan was letting the game flow nice and then I found the ref who carried Spain v Paraguay got all the calls right (except for the foul on Fabregas after Alonso's pk miss but you never see those get called anyway).

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I agree with that, I think his best trait is the way he communicates with the players but I don't have him up there with Rosetti

Yeah but Rosetti shat the bed big time in this cup. 

Web let's the little fouls go and lets the game flow.  I think that's a big asset of his. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
webb is a good choice

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I agree with that, I think his best trait is the way he communicates with the players but I don't have him up there with Rosetti

Yeah but Rosetti shat the bed big time in this cup.

...and does be lettin' out some loud, stink, watery ones in the Champions' League, too.

Web let's the little fouls go and lets the game flow.  I think that's a big asset of his.

....but does make some terrible decisions, too, like de ress ah dem. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
According to the german news this morning, Paul the Octopus in Oberhausen, Germany predicts the winner on Saturday to be Germany and on Sunday to be Spain. Let's C

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Since there is nothing to do until the games this weekend (where did all that time go). My idle mind has been pondering what exactly is the essence of Spain. We can talk about the samba flair of Brazil or Teutonic organization. What have I come up with? A Bullfight.

You can blame Hemmingway for this, but here goes:

A bullfight is not simply a matter of standing up in a ring wearing tight shiny clothes, holding a cape while facing a bull. That would be foolish.

Instead, there are various formal moves in order to subdue the bull. First, the matador tests the bull's ferocity by waving a large cape around. Then the picadores come in and stabs the bull with a lance on the neck. This weakens the neck muscles, causing the bull to lower it's head. Next, the banderillas try to plant 6 or so sharp barbed sticks into the bulls shoulders.

After all this action the bull is really pissed off, but his neck is weak and tired and then comes the tierco de muerte. The matador goes in with a small cape and a sword. The matador uses his cape to attract the bull in a series of passes which serve the dual purpose of wearing the animal down for kill and producing a beautiful display. Finally, the matador attempts to maneuver the bull into a position to stab it between the shoulder blades and through the aorta or heart.

Fight is over, bull is dead.

David Villa vs Portugal

So that's my take on Spain. The passing, movement and slow build up server to anger, then weaken the bull. Then Torres or Villa pull out the sword and stab you in the heart. If you're a good matador, you only need one thrust. Another 1-0 Spain victory. Of course, sometimes the bull gores you. Just ask Switzerland and the USA...

Robben's pre-game visualization.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:57:56 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
 :rotfl:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
According to the german news this morning, Paul the Octopus in Oberhausen, Germany predicts the winner on Saturday to be Germany and on Sunday to be Spain. Let's C

well dis like a spoiler. i eh watching on sunday  - paul give away de ending.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:31:35 AM by ribbit »

1]; } ?>