March 28, 2024, 05:43:38 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 64 - Final for 1st & 2nd place (11 July): Holland vs Spain  (Read 62150 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
 ironic that Holland abandoned their philosophy and were beaten by a country and team that embraced it.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fair point on Elia but dat Giovanni van Bronckhorst substitution...cost dem d game......

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile

ironic that Holland abandoned their philosophy and were beaten by a country and team that embraced it.

like when three spainairds dive in the box at the start of extra time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:48:05 PM by trinindian »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
before the game, someone almost got their hands on it

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile

How hyppocritical!  . Van Bommell and Robben diving all tournament. Drogba, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Van Persie, Rooney, Messi, Iniesta, Fabiano, Capdivella the list is endless, all divers. Its an epidemic in football, it has nothing to do with Spain. more to do with weak referees.

PS You telling me Villa was not fouled on the shot! Like yuh watch the game with yuh 3D glasses off  ;D

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile

How hyppocritical!  . Van Bommell and Robben diving all tournament. Drogba, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Van Persie, Rooney, Messi, Iniesta, Fabiano, Capdivella the list is endless, all divers. Its an epidemic in football, it has nothing to do with Spain. more to do with weak referees.

PS You telling me Villa was not fouled on the shot! Like yuh watch the game with yuh 3D glasses off  ;D

Hey I was just agreeing with you that better divers won.  Villa barely get touch. Just look at the chance that Robben passed  up when Puyol tried to pull him down.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Webb is a
Spainard BITCH

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Webb was biased for the Dutch!!

From first half he should have given them 2 red cards!!!!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nightmare the first yellow was for a foul also on Iniesta... needless to say it was barely a foul if that.  Definitely not a yellow

Hard luck Holland... happy for Spain, vex it came at Holland's expense.

I need to get in touch with Paul yes... I need some lotto numbers.

You cant be serious. All the commentators called for a straight red for that tackle!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
I don't know how a man could kick a man in his chest and stay on the field. Holland could have easily had 2 ejections in this game. It real hard for me to watch that game and say the ref favoured Spain.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Spain will start off nervous but will end up 3-0.  David Villa will buss the net twice.  Xavi or someone else finally scores too... Don't need no Octopus for this.

well Villa missed the 2 i had for him, and Iniesta instead of Xavi took the other one.. and no Holland was not going to score on Casillas

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile

:thumbsup:

I glad they get licks just for that!!!  8)

The Dutch have moved from playing Total Football to Anti Football!

I'm glad they were not rewarded with a World Cup throphy for playing this negative brand of football that is becoming their trademark!!  8)

Big-up to Spain & Paul de Octupus!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:38:24 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I don't know how a man could kick a man in his chest and stay on the field. Holland could have easily had 2 ejections in this game. It real hard for me to watch that game and say the ref favoured Spain.

Hear nah watching highlights ah dat kick by DeJong? i just ha to shake meh head yes, ah feel dat was one ah de best (by day ah mean nastiest, red-card-worthy) foul of the de whole world cup...i would love to know what DeJong could have possibly be saying after dat foul..... A A dey now show it again...unbelievable.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CekIw5moE5c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CekIw5moE5c</a>

Holland play football for half the game and kickdown for the other half. Tackles through men ankles , from behind , all kinda nasty play. It was a really negative style and I'm happy that they were not rewarded for it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hate to say I told you so, but Howard Webb is a weak referee. He actually should have sent off DeJong on the first half and Villa should have had a penalty and, and, and, and.

What penalty Villa shoulda have?  I agree with you that DeJong could/should have been sent off.  I glad Webb didn't though, he clearly was being restrained in not wanting to have such a negative effect on the final as reducing the Dutch to 10 men that early.  DeJong's play was reckless, but I seriously doubt there was intent behind it... I think that factored in Webb's thinking.  Any other match and that was a straight red.

That said them Spaniards was embellishing all over the field, you can't deny that.  In one sequence Van Bommel made a left side challenge on Iniesta, who fall and roll arung grabbing he ankle.  He look to Webb and see Webb turn he back and gone he way and fly up in ah rage and knock down Van Bommel... ah tort he foot get hurt?

Webb give him ah yellow card fuh he troubles.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nightmare the first yellow was for a foul also on Iniesta... needless to say it was barely a foul if that.  Definitely not a yellow

Hard luck Holland... happy for Spain, vex it came at Holland's expense.

I need to get in touch with Paul yes... I need some lotto numbers.

You cant be serious. All the commentators called for a straight red for that tackle!

Do you even know what the f**k yuh talking about?  I'm talking about Heitinga, not DeJong... at least figure out which Man City Dutch player people talking about before yuh look to chook yuh mouth next time.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PS You telling me Villa was not fouled on the shot! Like yuh watch the game with yuh 3D glasses off  ;D

Yes, I'm telling you he was not fouled on the shot... the Dutch player put his leg in front of him and got all ball, Villa's follow thru then hit the Dutch player (can't remember who it was) leg and he fall.  Iniesta dove just before that play during the sequence, and Fabregas as well, just on the outskirt of the box.

Hear nah watching highlights ah dat kick by DeJong? i just ha to shake meh head yes, ah feel dat was one ah de best (by day ah mean nastiest, red-card-worthy) foul of the de whole world cup...i would love to know what DeJong could have possibly be saying after dat foul..... A A dey now show it again...unbelievable.

De man raise he hand right away and acknowledge his mistake... kudos to Webb for his restraint.  If it occurred later in the game, or in any other game it was a straight red I sure.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

This was a world cup final. Decisions, decisions,decisions in a game like this?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:15:56 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5lMfS1tKpp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5lMfS1tKpp4</a>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lMfS1tKpp4&feature=player_embedded

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Awwwww! That was sweet.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Anyway, I was backing the Dutch until they start to play rel stink. Very underwhelming final. Bleh!

www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
hup holland, hup!!  hup allyuh ass outta South Africa!!

:rotfl:
www.westindiantube.com

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
lawd have mercy

d waggonistic behaviour on facebook is disgusting. almost everybody profile pic change to a  spain flag or jersey now. steups  ::)

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/98218819.html

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Spain win which the the fair result overall but the final was disappointing.

I feeling for Webb because the consensus is that he had a bad game. Not surprisingly bith the Dutch and Spanish fans and press believe that he was biased. You would like to think that he could have exerted authority early to stamp out all the wildness but they way them men, on both sides, was behaving he didn't have a chance.

The dutch were just too physical and then Spain start diving to compound matters. Not to forget that the Dutch were diving and playacting like crazy too. In fact throughout the tournament Van Bommel has been despicable. Chopping off men legs without getting carded and then playacting whenever he get contact.

De Jong karate kick should have been a red. He didn't mean it but them is the breaks, if yuh can't control yourself your team should pay the penalty. In Webb's defence though it looked like a shoulder charge from distance and Xabi was probably between him and De Jong and he probably felt that would have destroyed the game. But that is not his call to make if the players eff up the game he can't do nothing about it.

With all that said. Holand nullify Spain in the first half but the game open up in the second. Not good football but plenty chances from defensive errors. Van Bronckhorst save holland twice tackling Fabregas and Iniesta but Robben, Villa and Iniesta all watse good chances and it seems like there were free headers at every corner.

By the time extra time reach though Spain was killing Holland and had the run of the park. They couldn't handle Navas while none of Holland's subs had any impact.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
PS You telling me Villa was not fouled on the shot! Like yuh watch the game with yuh 3D glasses off  ;D

Yes, I'm telling you he was not fouled on the shot... the Dutch player put his leg in front of him and got all ball, Villa's follow thru then hit the Dutch player (can't remember who it was) leg and he fall. 

Again I can't blame Webb because it is impossible to see even on some of the replays but they showed a close-up replay that showed that the Dutch player did not touch the ball. In most replayes it looked like he might have but he didn't. Villa's leg wasn't following through either. He was in the act of shooting and the Dutch players leg blocked him from getting the shot.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
An opinion piece on the officiating that kinda summarizes the sympathetic view I had for Webb yesterday.

World Cup final: Howard Webb's dream job descends into nightmare

Howard Webb had described his selection to officiate in this final as the ultimate honour, the culmination of a 17-year journey that had begun in the backwaters of the Northern Counties East League. He may now consider last night's privilege akin to having been handed mission impossible.

The Yorkshireman departed this arena having flashed a record 14 yellow cards, the two shown to Johnny Heitinga duly becoming red, and with the deafening boos of the defeated Dutch ringing in his ears. The supporters' displeasure was inevitable as he collected his post-match medal. The grumblings of the normally deadpan Bert van Marwijk as he addressed the media will surely have hurt more.

Even as the criticisms of a desperate man, they were stinging. "I don't think the referee controlled the match well," said the Holland manager as he digested a first defeat in 26 matches. "Let me be clear about this: the best team won the match. But I read a few things today about how angry Spain were at [Webb's] refereeing in the first match against Switzerland, claiming he had not given two penalties to them. If you viewed the performance [of the referee] today, you'd almost think now that that first match had an influence on this game."

That verged on paranoia in the immediate wake of a numbing loss. Webb, in truth, had been given no choice in a contest that bristled from the opening exchange, when Robin van Persie flew in late to clatter Sergio Busquets behind the Spaniard's right knee. The tactic of winning ugly was established early. Thereafter, Webb's greatest achievement was not reducing the Dutch to 10, or even nine, even before the interval.

The 38-year-old was helpless here, all attempts to calm down players whipped up into a frenzy by the occasion proving utterly fruitless. Nerves had set in, anxiety gripping the play. From the moment Van Persie became the first name in the book on the quarter-hour mark for fouling Joan Capdevila, Webb was on a hiding to nothing. The striker was the first of five bookings in 13 minutes thereafter, the game being played to a flash of yellow where we had hoped it would be glorious roja or dazzling oranje on show.

The previous final record, the six cards shown by the Brazilian official Romualdo Arppi Filho in the 1986 final between Argentina and West Germany, was never likely to stand for long. Not that Webb's decisions were wrong. Carles Puyol's slide on Arjen Robben was blatant, as was Mark van Bommel's clattering of Andrés Iniesta. "The players aren't making this easy for our referee Mr Webb," commented Rio Ferdinand on his Twitter page.

Perhaps only Sergio Ramos, penalised for a clip on Dirk Kuyt, could feel aggrieved though Spanish complaints centred rather more on how Van Bommel and, in particular, Nigel de Jong were permitted to remain on the pitch. The Manchester City midfielder's kung-fu kick on Xabi Alonso, whether intentional or not, was scandalous, De Jong planting his boot studs up in his opponent's chest. Van Bommel's crunch on Iniesta 12 minutes from time was just as savage, though went unspotted by referee or assistants.

Van Marwijk, conveniently enough, claimed not to have seen either incident clearly either. "I'm on the bench and I haven't seen any replays," he said. "I'd have to look at them, but the way I saw it from the bench was very different. There were fouls from both sides, and quite a few from the Spanish. It's not our style to play 'ugly' or commit horrible fouls. It's not our kind of football. It was a World Cup final and people were tense. Anyway, I think the Spaniards also committed terrible fouls."

The flurry of Spanish cards came late, and for dissent or time wasting. The only red was Heitinga's, penalised first for a late tackle on David Villa and then, in extra-time, for pulling back Iniesta. Van Marwijk claimed Webb should have dismissed Puyol for a professional foul when he tugged back Robben as he tore into the area though, by then, the players sensed anarchy. The scenes on the final whistle, with the incensed Van Bommel, Wesley Sneijder and Joris Mathijsen crowding around the officials, were ugly even in the context of a World Cup final lost.

Webb may wonder about the honour of such occasions now. This had felt untameable well before the end and he will depart South Africa, undeservedly, on a sour note. Last time around, back at Euro 2008, it was the Polish fans who had hounded him away from the championships incensed that his audacity to award a legitimate penalty in the group game with Austria. As he retreated with abuse stinging his pride, he might wonder whether all this is worth it.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
before the game, someone almost got their hands on it

wayyy :D....ah wonder if his hard right or a tazer he collect?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Congrats Barca Spain  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Look for some pressha a lil way down de road

Nine months since Barca’s 6-2 home win over their arch- rivals and Andres Iniesta’s stunning late strike which took them through to the final at the expense of Chelsea, maternity hospitals are struggling to cope with demand for beds.

A survey by COMRadio showed that births this week and those expected next week are 45 percent higher than the average.

“When we notice some sort of surge we look for the reason and it’s evident that the cause of the increase this week is the euphoria of Barca fans thanks to the huge win and Iniesta’s goal,” El Mundo newspaper quoted Mercedes Rodriguez of the city’s Quiron Clinic as saying.

The babies are popularly known in Barcelona as “the Iniesta generation”.

If Barcelona winning a semifinal against Chelsea could prompt a shortage of hospital beds in Spain, then the national government is in heaps of trouble nine months from now when maternity beds will be harder to come by than World Cup trophies.

So what was a theory months ago is now a confirmation: no one causes more sex in Spain than Andres Iniesta.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5lMfS1tKpp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5lMfS1tKpp4</a>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lMfS1tKpp4&feature=player_embedded

It's a wonder that Sara Carbonero kept her composure after that, ahem, exchange.

Seriously though, Casillas almost put his girlfriend's job in jeopardy.

1]; } ?>