March 18, 2024, 09:01:08 PM

Author Topic: Was this the most boring WC ever?  (Read 18993 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Was this the most boring WC ever?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 07:03:33 PM »
Palos,
          A lot of teams had black players. Ghana is an African team. More than likely all their will be black. And of course cause black people are drawn to them because out of all the African teams they played the most outstanding ball. Ivory Coast and especially Nigerian were hammered by most on this site for their poor play. Algeria and South Africa tried but they were ready this time around.

I respeck wha yuh sayin....but football fuh football...Ghana eh play no setta football in dis World Cup IMO

Dey play alright and did very well to reach de quarters.  Matter of fact, it could be said that they exceeded most people's expectations....includin dey own.  But based on the actual football played, Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Germany, were brighter sparks in dis tournament.

Even USA outplay Ghana when dey met even though Ghana outplay de US for the first 20 minutes until Clarke get sub.

All I sayin is if yuh sayin Ghana was a bright spot because dey is a African team and yuh identify wit dem...den say so.  But doh come wit Gyan and Muntari goals, Ayew and how dey beat de US as excuse fuh dah kinda "reasonin".  Dat lame in de extreme.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »
Even USA outplay Ghana when dey met even though Ghana outplay de US for the first 20 minutes until Clarke get sub.

Nah. First Half - Ghana, Second Half - USA, Extra Time - Ghana.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »
I remebered that 82 WC. People say that the Dutch 74 WC was the best never to have won a WC. Well if this team was not the best, then they were very close. I was emotionally sick after that lost to the Italics

74 Holland
82 Brazil
were definately two teams that fall into that category.

From all accounts Hungry 1954 was a remarkable team. I recently saw about 40 minutes of their games in 1954, they were something. Even injured Puskas was special

70 Peru was also a beautiful team, if you could get your hands on Peru vs Brazil 1970

Yeah, I have heard of the Hungarians 54 team. There was a movie made called the miracle at Berne. The German shocked the mighty Hungarians to win their 1st WC. 10 yrs after WW2. The Hungarians had beat the Germans in the 1st rounds but the Germans reversed in the finals. So add the Hungarians to that list.

Not only that but they give dem 8!! dem hungarians wasn't easy and was expected to sleep walk to the title

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
All I sayin is if yuh sayin Ghana was a bright spot because dey is a African team and yuh identify wit dem...den say so.

That goes without saying. Millions of African people and people of African descent was supporting Ghana or any of the African teams to go to the finals. Them same African people use to support England or France or Portugal before there own countries were allowed to play in WC. So what is wrong with that. Some people think is time that an African team win the WC cup. But is not what some people think, is what the teams do on the field. And it just goes to show that the African teams ain't ready yet. They have some ways to go. That is just plain and simple.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
So because dey was young, organised and disciplined (FOR AN AFRICN TEAM), had a decent defensive mid....not anywhere close to being THE MOST OUTSTANDING DEFENSIVE MID.....dem was a bright spark in de tournament?

Gyan and Muntari goals?

So wha bout Tevez and Higuain goals?

Wha bout Fabiano and Roinho goals?

Wha bout Sjneider and Robben goals?

Wha bout Honda and Endo goals?

Beatin USA is a benchmark for being a spark in a world cup tournament now?

Allyuh like to talk dotishness yes. 

Bess yuh jes come out and say dey is a black team and daz de ONLY reason why yuh sayin so.

At least yuh would be honest den.

Palos, one man's julie mango is another man's sour lime. I started by saying that Germany and Ghana were the bright sparks for ME. You decide to pick on the 'Ghana' element and gone dong the 'black road'. Seems to me what you are saying is beacuse they black they cant be 'bright sparks' at the same time. You yuhself admit that they exceeded peoples expectation. That to me is confirmation that they were bright sparks. And they did this without their biggest star, Essien. Ghana was robbed from creating history. steups. Take it from me, you will hear alot about this Ghana team in the years to come.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 12:44:35 AM »
Maybe not the most boring ever, but certainly the most boring I've ever seen.

94 had the advantage of being my first. The novelty value alone might have decided it, but there were some genuinely good matches, goals, upset and drama...

US beating Colombia, followed by the unfortunate Escobar affair,
Cameroon collecting 6 from Russia in a match nobody had anything to gain from provided 2 moments of World cup history (Salenko and Milla),
Group D coughing up a 666 scenario, Argentina taking Greece apart, Diego being sent home in disgrace,
South Korea's Houdini against Spain,
Italy losing to Ireland,
Group E coughing up a 4*4 group, Netherlands coming from behind to beat Saudi Arabia in the closing minutes, Owairan's screamer against Belgium,

Italy coming from behind at the last minute to steal Nigeria's QF dream,
US-Brazil was a good match,
Italy leaving it late against Spain,

Brazil - Netherlands which for me was the match of the tournament and Branco's free kick was the goal of the tournament, Romania - Sweden going to penalties,

Brazil - Sweden and Romario's diving header to get past Ravelli.

98 was sumptuous even if as a Brazil fan, it was ultimately heartbreaking.

Brazil turned on the style against Morocco and then contrived to lose to Norway in a meaningless match in the last 10 minutes
France took a team with no recognised strikers and put 9 goals past their group opposition, Zidane got sent off for violent play
Nigeria outgunning Spain and a Sunday Oliseh wonder goal, Spain putting 6 past Bulgaria and still being ousted
Blanco's bunny hop goal against the Belgians, the Dutch putting 5 past South Korea, Mexico's late fight back against the dutch,
Mihajlovic's free kick against Iran,
Romania breaking England's hearts in injury time
Argentina hitting Jamaica 5 of the best, Jamaica getting a first World Cup win for the caribbean
Ronaldo putting Chile to bed
France scoring the first golden goal in World Cup football
Germany's come from behind win over Mexico
David's injury time winner over yugoslavia
argentina -england penalties
Rivaldo running riot against Denmark
France outlasting Italy on penalties
Bergkamp's last minute winner over Argentina
Crotia upsetting Germany out of the cup
Netherlands - Brazil was a classic World cup semifianl going down to penalties after a late Kluivert equalizer
Thuram#'s first and last world cup double
Ronaldo's "seizure" and subsequent sleepwalking through the final#

2002 was a strange cup, as i viewed it in the US and usually saw the first half of most matches in the morning and the second half replays at night

Senegal's shocker against France, followed by their amazing 3 goal collapse to Uruguay, Dario Rodriguez's fantastic volley
outh Africa's injury time penalty equaliser against Paraguay,
Rivaldo's disgraceful faking against Turkey, Brazil's delightful "Rated R" show against China and their breathtaking 7 goal flurry with Costa Rica and Edmilson's bicycle
USA upsetting Portugal and putting htem out in the first round
Roy Keane being sent home, Germany's 8=-0 shellacking of Saudi Arabia, Robbie Keane's injury time equalizer against Germany and goal celebration
Argentina going out in the first round
Borgetti's header against Italy
Wilmot's volley against Japan,
Germany's late winner against Paraguay
Senegal's equaliser against the Swedes
Spain and Ireland's epic penalty shootout (5 misses)
South Korea's controversial run through to the semifinal
USA defeating Mexico to reach the QF
Rivaldo's goal against Belgium
Ronnie's free kick versus England
Maxi Rodriguez' wonder goal against Mexico

The sight of 4 Turkish players trying to take the ball off Denilson at the corner flag
Hakan Sukur's quickest world cup goal ever
Rivaldo's dummy to set up Ronaldo's second goal

2006 was undoubtedly not the best of World Cups (the memory of Switzerland-Ukraine still traumatises me) but the presence of the Soca Warriors and seeing my first live World Cup match  made up for everything. It was still an exciting tournament in of itself though.

Best opening match I've ever seen, with two excellent goals from the Germans
T&T vs Sweden
Crouch's Rapunzel act
Argentina vs Serbia, and that 25 pass goal
Mexico-Angola second best 0-0 I've ever seen in a WC
Czech Republic tearing up USA
Zaccardo's perfect own goal against the USA
Kaka's shot in anger against Croatia
Graham Poll's three yellow cards (and three red cards in Australia-Croatia)
Seeing the fat man in action one more time and see him beat Gert Muller's record, particularly the double stepover on the goal against Ghana
Spain's rain on Ukraine's parade
Tunisia - Saudia Arabia, last minute drama
The Portugal - Netherlands car crash match
Italy's last minute penalty against Australia
Spain-France and the French second half fightback
Germany - Argentina penalty kicks and post match scuffles
The Rooney and Ronaldo soap opera
Zidane's master class against Brazil
Italy's sucker punch against Germany, and particularly the Del Piero goal
A final full of high drama - a dive leading to a panenka penalty, a great save to deny 2-0, an equalizer by an unlikely hero who then provokes the first scorer into a moment of madness, then penalty kicks, ending with one on the bar

for the most part, the two biggest controversies of 2010 haven't been so much controversies as annoying: the vuvuzelas and the ball:

The upsets of France and Italy are on par with 2002, but with the added spice of internal fractures in the French team. the latin american revolution that was announced after the dust cleared finally flattered to deceive. I could do without MAradona's constant attention hogging, and was glad to see him sent out to get the rest of his coaching badges. Referees errors and some cynical play were among the highlights of some important matches of the tournament.
However, on the field of play, apart from Germany , I haven't seen one team that has impressed me as such, Netherlands has come across as riding on a a bunch of talented individuals and Spain has been playing with the hand brake up all tournament. Ghana, like Senegal before them were not constant and benefitted from major slices of luck several times throughout their tournament, until it ran out at the end of the game against Uruguay. Argentina were found out against Germany; England's weaknesses were only laid bare. Uruguay are brave and tenacious and everything you want, but impressive they are not.

I don't know. I just haven't been wowed by most of what I've seen on the pitches in South Africa...

I'd rate them like this from best to worst
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 05:34:59 AM »
Waay...how men does remember all dem details boy......I cyar remember nothing from all dem other World Cups except Trini games in 2006. Allyuh good.
This world cup was good for me because Argentina and Italy get lick out, and in spectacular fashion too. Argentina suck 4 of the very best. That alone make this THE BEST WC EVER!!

And yes Palos, Ghana was a bright spark, to black AND non-black people no doubt about that. Their game vs Uruguay was one of the best. I in the supermarket yesterday, and this older white hispanic gentleman telling the young white cashier...."what a game eh, Spain-Germany game was good. Spain is a good team"

The cashier replied " yeah but did you see the Ghana-Uruguay game? Now that was good!"

Another white somebody in the next line chimed in "yeah! that went down to the wire. I liked Ghana I thought they were a good team"

Ghana was a bright spark fuh plenty people.

THIS WC WAS BESS!!!......until de next one ;D
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 07:12:37 AM »
Midknight  :o WTF ??!!
You ever fail ah exam in yuh life?

I seriously cyah remember what I eat for dinner on wednesday
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 07:22:48 AM »

:rotfl:  ent, de man compose ah thesis on de podium yes, midnite fuh PM after Kamla
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 07:25:55 AM »
I don't know how men could say this world cup was boring. Notwithstanding the euphoria of having T&T at the last tournament I thought the last one was a dull. 2002 was a treat for me as well, can't call that boring either. Watching France lose to Senegal was awesome. Senegal v Sweden was also a great match, Brazil v England (as a matter of fact all Brazil games except the final), USA v Portugal, Italy v Korea, Korea v Spain, I enjoyed that one. 2006 was the most boring World Cup I've seen. It was far too defensive and low on beats.  ;D

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 07:49:45 AM »

:rotfl:

yeah boy true
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »

:rotfl:  ent, de man compose ah thesis on de podium yes, midnite fuh PM after Kamla

heh heh... idle hands.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
The first half of this final game nearly put mih to sleep......
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:19:52 PM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline julie_mango

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
Palos is ah white boy or he feel he white, doh study he...

WHat exactly was it about Ghana's play that made them a bright spark in this tournament?

1. Youngest team ever at a WC
2. Very organised and discliplined defending (unlike most African teams). Jonathan Mensah is only 19
3. Anthony Annan (the new Makalele)
4. Gyan and Muntari goals against USA and Uruguay
5. Beating USA

So because dey was young, organised and disciplined (FOR AN AFRICN TEAM), had a decent defensive mid....not anywhere close to being THE MOST OUTSTANDING DEFENSIVE MID.....dem was a bright spark in de tournament?

Gyan and Muntari goals?

So wha bout Tevez and Higuain goals?

Wha bout Fabiano and Roinho goals?

Wha bout Sjneider and Robben goals?

Wha bout Honda and Endo goals?

Beatin USA is a benchmark for being a spark in a world cup tournament now?

Allyuh like to talk dotishness yes. 

Bess yuh jes come out and say dey is a black team and daz de ONLY reason why yuh sayin so.

At least yuh would be honest den.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
True ting. I actually doze off during the game, inside a Ghanaian club in Brixton. Mih breds had to wake him up yes.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
Palos is ah white boy or he feel he white, doh study he...
:rotfl:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »
True ting. I actually doze off during the game, inside a Ghanaian club in Brixton. Mih breds had to wake him up yes.

Were you at The Gold Coast Club on Sunday?

I've done a few salsa/kizomba promotions there! I also do another promotion (70% soca & 30%everything else) just walking distance from there down Brixton Road at a Nigerian owned club called Blues Wine Bar, Resturant & VIP Lounge. Come check it out on the last Friday of the month, the promtion is called REPRESENT Yuh Country Colours and its always good fun!  :chilling: :mackdaddy:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »

I think yuh still nostalgic about the last World Cup because the Soca Warriors took part so ah cyah really blame yuh for dat!  ;)

Nah, my nostalgia is for this team:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZxvYy5-ekI

That was WC football at its best!

82 was the best WCup since I have been following this stuff. Then 86 and then 2010.

This reflects the level of entertainment.

Thanks for posting the link behind-the-bridge. That Brazilian team was something else. I was only three when the '82 world cup took place, but I have looked at clips of that great Brazilian team.

What I would give to look at such graceful football again.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
1990 was the most boring I ever saw, but 2010 may have been a dead heat  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »

I've done a few salsa/kizomba promotions there! I also do another promotion (70% soca & 30%everything else) just walking distance from there down Brixton Road at a Nigerian owned club called Blues Wine Bar, Resturant & VIP Lounge. Come check it out on the last Friday of the month, the promtion is called REPRESENT Yuh Country Colours and its always good fun!  :chilling: :mackdaddy:
Yes, I was at the Gold coast bar in Brixton. Will check out the Blues bar sometime soon.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »

Socapro,
       I did not know you is a kizomba fan? Good music!!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »

Socapro,
       I did not know you is a kizomba fan? Good music!!!!

I'm a good music fan, if it good I in dat!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>