April 19, 2024, 07:35:56 PM

Author Topic: Kamla as PM will she be any diffrent ?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kamla as PM will she be any diffrent ?
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »

PNM plan
By Akile Simon akile.simon@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Jul 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM ECT

Story Updated: Jul 4, 2010 at 2:41 AM ECT

NATIONAL Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy has said his Ministry intends to use most of the elements of the anti-crime plan drafted by Cameron Ross, a retired Canadian Major General, which was done under the former People's National Movement (PNM) government.

In April last year, then Prime Minister Patrick Manning disclosed that Ross was hired by the Government to developed a new crime plan which was expected to be unveiled within several weeks. However, no aspects of the plan were ever made public by the Manning administration.

"The Cameron Ross anti-crime plan is now being looked at and there are some elements of it, most of the elements of it, are being employed. We will look at it and the great areas of it would be used and those that aren't applicable, we will get rid of them," Sandy said.

He was speaking with members of the media as Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar paid an unofficial and surprise visit to police officers conducting a road block exercise at Montrose Main Road in Chaguanas on Friday night.

Persad-Bissessar and her security detail were passing in the area, when they came upon a road block exercise which was being spearheaded by acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams.

To the surprise of many motorists, who were in some way or the other inconvenienced by the exercise, Persad-Bissessar's vehicle pulled at the side of the roadway and she emerged from the vehicle and briefly spoke with Williams, head of the T&T Defence Force Brigadier Edmond Dillon and Minister Sandy.

Williams briefed the Prime Minister about the exercise and about several others which were being undertaken across the country. He told her several people have been arrested in the Western and North-Eastern Division and firearms, among other illegal items, have been seized by police.

Persad-Bissessar told Williams, Sandy and Dillon she wanted the country to remain safe during her absence, an assurance that was given by security top brass.

"I really want to thank you because I am due to leave tomorrow (yesterday), so I want the country to feel safe while I'm gone," she told the men.

On the issue of the church at the Heights of Guanapo in Arima, Persad-Bissessar said her Government has no intention of taking control of the property.

She said, "I have no control of that. I'm not the owner; the Government is not the owner, the State is not the owner. We must obey the law and I keep making this point all the time that, on principle, we must obey the law. So, if we obey the law, we would not run into problems. So we cannot go in there and give it to you or anybody. We must obey the law and we are not the owners of it at the moment. But, if a crime has been committed, then the agencies, the investigative arm of the State, will do their job. It is not for the Government to go in there and take the place. It must not go on," Persad-Bissessar said.

Next article
TrinidadExpress.com back online

Sometimes these politicians should just shut up to avoid Freudian slips.
Is she suggesting that when she is in TT I feel safer or safer?
Is she now the owner of state property ?
Is this the manifestation of the "Palace state of mind?"

God save us if Jack is ever made fulltime PM
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Kamla as PM will she be any diffrent ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »

Persad-Bissessar told Williams, Sandy and Dillon she wanted the country to remain safe during her absence, an assurance that was given by security top brass.

"I really want to thank you because I am due to leave tomorrow (yesterday), so I want the country to feel safe while I'm gone," she told the men.

What ? *scratches head*

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:08:15 AM »
mummy of d nation

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »

What ? *scratches head*

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:32:30 AM »

What happen to the children's life fund?
How could this happen ?
Mammy Kamla what will you say if children die as a result ?
Or is it that it was not brought to the Minister's attention?
So many questions just like old times.

Baby Kayla among 20 in dire need of help
By WALTER ALIBEY Monday, July 5 2010

THE LIVES of over 20 infants, including one-month-old Kayla Maryoung, are in jeopardy because of a delay in funding for the paediatric cardiology programme that would have ensured the children got heart surgery early this month.

Newsday learnt that doctors at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex (EWMSC) are now faced with the difficult task of having to explain to parents that the surgeries for their children will have to be cancelled.

A cardiologist said they have written numerous letters to the Ministry of Health and its Minister Therese Baptiste-Cornelis for the $600,000 amount which would have paid for the surgeries between the July 4-9 at the EWMSC.

With the $600,000, the cardiologist said the hospital would have brought in a US cardio expert, who has successfully done over 89 corrective heart surgeries on infants in Trinidad and Tobago. The amount is also used to pay for supplies and other expenses to ensure the surgeries were done.

Without the funding, patients are asked to travel to the USA or the UK where the cost of surgery is said to be higher. She noted the cost is around US$60,000-US$90,000 in the United States or similar amount — 60,000-90,000 in the UK.

Last week, the cardiologist explained that Kayla has been hardest hit by Government’s stoppage of the funds as she suffers from severe Pulmonary Valve Stenosis- which is an improper functioning valve in her heart.

After conducting a series of tests including an echocardiogram doctors said Kayla’s breathing was faster than normal. Due to the non-functional valve Kayla has developed a thick muscular wall in the right ventricle.

Kayla’s heart rate had been tested at 144 beats per minute when it is supposed to be 20 beats per minute. If Kayla’s heart rate had been 60 beats per minute her surgery could have been delayed at least until September. Kayla’s name was put at the top of the surgical list because of the severity of her situation.

Baby Kayla’s parents are frantic as their daughter, born only on May 5, has been breathing heavily and crying frequently.

“It’s like pushing against a door that is shut and cannot be opened. Your hands become weak and eventually give up. This is so in Kayla’s case” the cardiologist said. Kayla had been placed on medication in an attempt to normalise her heart rate, but last Tuesday doctors said surgery was needed immediately to save her life.

Chief executive officer of the North Central Regional Health Authority Ronald Tsoi-a-Fatt told Newsday that the paediatric surgery was postponed because funding was not received in time to purchase supplies. The next set of surgeries will be done in September.

Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:07:03 AM »
CARICOM LIFE FUND
Kamla urges regional leaders to use Petroleum Fund to save children's lives
By Andy Johnson Montego Bay, Jamaica

Story Created: Jul 5, 2010 at 1:06 AM ECT

(Story Updated: Jul 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM ECT )

PRIME Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar came here to her first Caricom summit with a bag of suggestions for the consideration of her colleagues, urging them to take action on what she considered to be some of the critical issues facing the region.

Speaking for 20 minutes, two-and-a-half times more than the eight minutes she was allotted on the programme schedule, she told the opening ceremony last evening the region should consider such issues as the environment, education and the plight of women and children as requiring urgent pan-Caribbean effort and action.

She said leaders should consider using the Petroleum Fund to support expenditures in these and other areas, saying that her government would maintain its commitment to the fund.

Even as she put them on notice that her administration would make what she called "some strategic shifts in policy direction", she rushed to assure her audience that "our commitment to Caricom and to the integration movement remains unchanged".

While she said that the movement had served as a catalyst for achievement of a viable economic community, and like those who spoke before she praised some of the achievements of the movement over its 37-year history, Persad-Bissessar said there was need to do more.

"We must work harder to reduce poverty, so that more of our people can enjoy a better standard of living," she said.

She said there was also room for greater improvement in the provision of healthcare and in the preparation for and the responses to natural disasters.

She said the region's history of being able to "speak with one voice" on many critical international issues was a factor which enhanced the stature of the nations in Caricom in the international community.

Earlier in her address, the Prime Minister directly addressed Haitian President Rene Preval, saying that since it was the first time she was addressing him as one head to another, she was reaffirming the commitment of the government and people of Trinidad and Tobago to assist the government and people of Haiti, in the wake of the devastation wrought by the earthquake on January 12.

Referring later to the "C&BTT" campaign to Clean and Beautify Trinidad and Tobago launched last month under the auspices of her office, Persad-Bissessar presented it as a possible model for consideration of a pan-Caribbean programme on addressing environmental concerns.

She said it was one of the issues she would put to the table for further discussion in the working sessions of the conference which begin this morning.

She then led to what she saw as the significance of the Petroleum Fund, again pledging that her government was "firmly committed to sustaining and strengthening it", while suggesting that along with this there must be a commitment to greater accountability as to how it was used.

Here she laid out her proposals for the fund to be spent in those areas and on those issues she felt important for the greater advancement of people across the region.

"It is ironic that in this region we are islands, yet we pay so little attention to the state of the environment," she said.

"We are losing our competitive edge in education," she added.

And on the question of healthcare, she raised the issue of her government's implementation of the campaign promise to start the Children's Life Fund, which is committing $100 million to help provide critical surgery for children with critical and life-threatening conditions.

"Perhaps the Petroleum Fund could be used to help start a Pan-Caribbean effort like this," she told the gathering, adding that she could think of no better way for the fund to be used and proposing to seek further discussions on it over the course of the summit.

Persad-Bissessar was one of four Caricom heads to speak at last evening's opening, the others being Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerritt, Dr Denzil Douglas, Prime Minister of St Kitt's and Nevis, and conference host, Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding.

Also in her address, the Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister reiterated part of the introduction to her which said that she considered Jamaica as her second home.

She said she spent 14 years here, during which time she studied, taught and lived.

She fell in love here, she said, and it was here that she attended her very first political meeting.

Bob Marley's music, she told the audience, was a central part of the music for her campaign, adding that all these things contributed to the fact that Jamaica had helped produce the person who was now the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago.

But having spent some time in Barbados as well, she said, those experiences helped shape her Caribbean consciousness.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/97783979.html

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »

What ? *scratches head*
but look who she left to baby sit us....

Jackula

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »

What ? *scratches head*
but look who she left to baby sit us....

Jackula

why he eh in south africa?

1]; } ?>