March 28, 2024, 06:37:44 PM

Author Topic: £221,000 a week?  (Read 7200 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
£221,000 a week?
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »
How can we justify footballers' wages?
By John Foot guardian.co.uk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jul/08/justify-footballers-wages-moral-outcry

There has been a moral outcry about bankers' earnings, yet no one is up in arms about the vast sums paid to some footballers

Times are hard, we are told. Even in the supposedly inflation-free world of football. Liverpool is for sale, Manchester United has huge debts, Portsmouth hover close to bankruptcy. But none of this seems to apply to Manchester City. This is a club that has just signed Yaya Touré on a wage of, it is said, £221,000 a week. I'll just repeat that. 221,000. Pounds. A. Week. Or £11m in wages every year. Clearly this is not enough for Touré, because there is more.

Much more. He apparently gets £823,000 as a bonus if Manchester City qualify for the Champions League, and £412,000 if they win it, plus £1.65m annually for his "image rights". Oh, and City also paid Barcelona £24m.

Now, Touré is quite a good player. Not bad. He is 27-years-old and he has played 94 times for Barcelona in three seasons, scoring a grand total of four goals in that time. Last season he was not even a first-team regular. He only started 13 games for the Catalan club. Before that, he played, for a bit, for some other clubs – not great clubs, minor clubs. But he is now, officially, the highest-paid player in the Premier League.

During the global financial crisis, quite rightly, a lot of people got very angry about the amount of money earned by bankers. There was a moral outcry. People were up in arms. The government threatened to step in. But it seems that football lives in a kind of alternative world, cut off from the realities of society, cuts in public services, banking meltdown and belt-tightening.

In football, the sky is the limit. When Bryan Robson became the first £1,000-a-week footballer in 1981, there was outrage in the land. I remember fans singing "what a waste of money" at Robson during games. Now, nobody even notices.

There are two possible reactions to the news of Touré's contract. One is simply to shrug your shoulders and say: "That's how the market works." The other is disbelief. An average player on £221,000 a week! Football has clearly gone mad, and nobody is doing anything to stop this madness.

Football has no wage cap, unlike the wealthiest sports in the US. Clubs can pay what they like, buy who they like, sell who they like. In Italy they have a name for this. Financial doping. But Touré's wages also pose a moral dilemma for all of us. How can such excess ever be justified in the name of football? Should we not feel ashamed to even watch football next season, as schools and hospitals close down and students are denied university places?

Yet there is very little we can do about this madness. Even if every fan in the UK were to tear up their season tickets, or stop watching Sky, it wouldn't make any difference to Manchester City's finances, which are totally unconnected with the sport, or its supporters. Football is a global phenomenon, where the game itself counts for little or nothing. The Premier League's bloated stars have almost all been flops at the World Cup, but their wages will remain at their current, absurd levels. Football, as it once was, is dead, but the show goes on, and on.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: £221,000 a week?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:03:37 PM »
All I can say is Yaya better come and play some serious fitball this year after earning that type of salary. Man City better be in the top 3 because will be real pressure on him. Is he the highest paid in the league now?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
Remember half that 221,000 gets taken by the UK gov't so John Foot can have his socialized medicine.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »
Don't really think he is worth that type of a salary...could call a top 5 holding midfielders and he not in it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »
Don't really think he is worth that type of a salary...could call a top 5 holding midfielders and he not in it.

We could think what we want. if the owners thinks he is worth it, then that is the going price.

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »
He must have the best agent in the world.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »
Why all the griping?

If the owner wants to pay him that then so be it. If yuh boss tell yuh "Padna yuh wukkin good...look a raise to 221,000/week" ....yuh go tell him no?

Lebron James signed ah 100 million contract before he even bounced a ball in the NBA, and I doh hear nobody complaining when Duprey is a billionaire while policy holders bawling for dey money.

If Toure foot break tomorrow and football career done then 11mil/year is worth it.   
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:33:42 PM »
that is plenty jersey to sell.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:04:36 PM »
I cyah begrudge the brother, take d money and play yuh football yes.

Man was a boss for Barca two seasons ago and then all of a sudden new coach, new philosophy and man become a bit part player, then surplus to requirements and sold.

There was never any report of a rift or a lack of committment on the player's part but all of a sudden man hadda sit on the bench.

Opportunity to play for an ambitious club and some good dollars in the bank to sure up your financial future probably for generations to come.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
Remember half that 221,000 gets taken by the UK gov't so John Foot can have his socialized medicine.
In that case he's worth his corn.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
if I had that much oil money I would buy every thing I can...so what's a measly £ 221,00 a week.....
it costs more than that to maintain all them ski lodges in the desert.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »
if yuh have ah jackass ride it

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 05:16:54 AM »
Footballers deserve to be paid handsomely, simply because there is a high demand for the product - which is football. Gate reciepts alone from a 50,000 capacity stadium can easily surpass £2 million PER GAME.  Add the TV rights, merchandising, in stadium advertising etc, and you get the big picture.

Also it might help to compare footballers salries with those being paid to athletes in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. Derek Jeter of the NY Yankess will earn a cool US$22.6M dollars in 2010 alone! King James is slated to earn over US$100M over five years at Miami

Its simple, there is HUGE demand for the product these athletes offer.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:22:52 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 05:19:35 AM »
Everywhere we go, it's the same cry....

Money worries...

money worries...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:39:18 AM »
Football is the world's top money generating sport. The EPL is the world's top revenue generating brand.

We need to put the money these men getting in relation to the entertainment industry, cause that is what football is for all of us.

U think Yaya Toure total earnings comparable to a no-name rapper who buss one tune and become a multi-millionaire? Off of one tune, which allow them to bling up for the rest of the videos and buy a big house, several cars and throw the rest up in the air? One break leg and all that done for him, you know.

Actors getting $20 million for one movie and some of them making 2 and 3 a year.

That's the kind of market athletes belong to because they providing similar escapist fare for the viewing public.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »
De people want water
De people want water

What de people want...
water

What de people want...
water

De people want water
De people want water

Basically right, there must be some sort of handle on these developments, or the game's bubble will burst, just like the property market, but as long as they could afford it... then hey, why not?...

I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 09:04:47 AM »
He must have the best agent in the world.
that is plenty jersey to sell.
;D

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 11:18:12 AM »
None of them worth that.

Dat is shit with a capital "S"

the state of the game has gotten out of hand.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
Eat ah food Yaya.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
Football is the world's top money generating sport. The EPL is the world's top revenue generating brand.

We need to put the money these men getting in relation to the entertainment industry, cause that is what football is for all of us.

U think Yaya Toure total earnings comparable to a no-name rapper who buss one tune and become a multi-millionaire? Off of one tune, which allow them to bling up for the rest of the videos and buy a big house, several cars and throw the rest up in the air? One break leg and all that done for him, you know.

Actors getting $20 million for one movie and some of them making 2 and 3 a year.

That's the kind of market athletes belong to because they providing similar escapist fare for the viewing public.

Yaya Toure's wages do not fit into any business model, they are not sustained by Man City's income.

An actor is paid £20m on the expectation that the film will recoup that and much more because of him.

Yaya is just a rich man's play thing. Enjoy it Yaya.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 11:54:12 AM »
He is worth whatever they are willing to pay for him.  
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:49 PM »
He is worth whatever they are willing to pay for him.  
True and I'm happy for him, not mad at all, in fact I would take it to if it was me but sometimes worth comes with expectations.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:00:19 PM by soccerman »

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »
11 million a year is not a crazy salary.
forget the per week thing,

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
221,000 pounds a week? Well it get crazy now!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
This is not about controlling his earnings. I have no problem with him getting as much as they want to pay.

From a footballing perspective, Man City is way overpaying for him. He is not really a 'Franchise' player so to make him the highest earner on the team, far less the league is stupid.

It also makes no sense from a business perspective. No shrewd businessman overpays for anything and they are way overpaying for the value they are getting in return.
TnT Patriot

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »
...No shrewd businessman overpays for anything and they are way overpaying for the value they are getting in return.

Many shrewd businessmen routinely "overpay" for potential and Mansour is essentially in the position of a venture capitalist where City is concerned.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 06:11:12 AM »
Who is allyuh to decide how valuable the man is to the team?

Remember Madrid let go of Makelele cause he "couldn't pass a ball more than 5 yards."

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and maybe City see Yaya as the glue to transform the team from 5th to champions by being the link from defence to midfield as this was their most problematice postiion to fill between De Jong, Kompany, Viera and whoever else they use in that spot already.

Roy Keane and Patrick Viera were the most important people on the pitch for ManU and Arsenal during the 90's. Yaya is probably seen as that man for City and they had to make him happy enough to leave Barca, is not as simple as market demand and value, is how much of a difference he could make to the team. If I have Mascherano, well then i wouldn't value yaya as much...but if I have nobody good, and nobody want to come to my side cause i not a big side, i have to pay over the odds in order to compensate for that.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 06:29:18 AM »
i remember when $60,000 a week was a ridiculous amount...waaaaaayss

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 08:35:59 AM »
That amounts to less than 12 million a season, that's average money for professional athletes in the US.

It's easy to get fixated on player salaries but you have to look at the increase in revenue for football clubs since the advent of the premier league especially tv earnings.  People don't go to matches to admire the stadia, the players are the draw they're entitled to their share.

The problem is with clubs spending beyond their means, they have Kia budgets and they want to buy BMW's and Porches.  Worse, in the case of clubs like Portsmouth, top dollar is paid to (and for) average players.

The market would normally find it's level but in recent years billionaire-owned clubs like Man City and Chelsea have inflated wages and transfer fees because they have to use money to offset their lack of stature to attract top players.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »
Waste of money on a over rated player.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>