April 18, 2024, 04:16:24 PM

Author Topic: Jorge Fucile  (Read 3265 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jorge Fucile
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:12:18 AM »
Not too often is a defender singled out for praise in any football competition but given the defense first approach of the successful teams I dont see why not.
Anyone else noticed the unstoppale Uruguay defender Jorge Fucile in the just concluded WC ?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jorge Fucile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
Unstoppable ! have to fix this keyboard ...

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:42 AM »
Coentrao the left wing back for Portugal was very good too.
I thought he was very good in possession and Portugal kept using him to carry the ball forward.
Not sure how good he is at tackling though.

Edit: corrected spelling
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:54:35 AM by Peong »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
Coentroa the left wing back for Portugal was very good too.
I thought he was very good in possession and Portugal kept using him to carry the ball forward.
Not sure how good he is at tackling though.

The whole Portugal back 4 were excellent. Maybe I watch them defend so much I bias  :devil:
IMHO Diego Lugano was one of the outstanding defenders of this WC.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »
Fucile was a boss, boss player and they miss him when he was suspended. He had that right side lock down and was good going forward, who does he play for?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
Most impressive overall defender for me was Lucio

Contreao was excellent for Portugal...probably the best left back in the tournament

Best central defender IMO was Lugano....closely followed by Lucio & Carvalho.

The best back 4 for me....

Fucile
Lucio
Lugano
Contreao

I would pick Uruguay's Diego Perez as my top defensive mid.

Honourable mention to
Anthony Annan - Ghana
Sami Khedira - Germany
Jeremy Toualalan - France
Sergio Busquets - Spain

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:34:40 AM »
Fucile was a boss, boss player and they miss him when he was suspended. He had that right side lock down and was good going forward, who does he play for?

This was his profile before the WC..I am sure we could add to that now ...
I am very surprised that teams that leak goals and have the money .... Like Manchester City, Liverpool etc have not gone for im yet.

Jorge Fucile’s qualities as a full back are obvious: he is a tight marker, has great ball control and loves to attack from deep. Add to that an ability to play on either side of the defence and you have a player of real quality.

A native of Montevideo, Fucile was barely 17 when he made his Uruguayan Second Division debut in 2002 for local outfit Liverpool FC. The following year saw his team gain promotion to the First Division where they even battled it out for the Uruguayan title, and over the next few seasons the team cemented their status in the top flight.

His reliability and commitment earned him an international call-up in May 2006. Just two months after taking the reins as head coach, El Maestro handed him his first cap in a 2-0 victory over Romania in a friendly match in Los Angeles.

By this time, Fucile was on the wish-list of a number of European clubs, so it came as little surprise when he signed for Porto in the summer of 2006. He quickly adapted to the Portuguese game, earning a starting place and crowning his arrival in Europe with his first league title in the 2006/2007 season.

Despite him turning out on the right side of defence for his club, Oscar Tabarez deployed Fucile on the left during the Copa America Venezuela 2007. He played the first four games of the tournament in this new role and proved himself more than up to the task, winning player of the tournament in his position. In 2008, however, he started to revert back to his original position on the right. Although missing out on the play-off win over Costa Rica due to injury, he still features strongly in Tabarez’s plans, and can be hopeful of getting the chance to prove his worth in South Africa.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »

Contreao was excellent for Portugal...probably the best left back in the tournament

Fucile
Lucio
Lugano
Contreao

Honourable mention to
Anthony Annan - Ghana
Sami Khedira - Germany
Sergio Busquets - Spain

I would find mention for Carles Puyol ... I cant think of a Spain or Barcelone team without him ...and they are the best at the moment. Puyol even finds the time to score crucial goals yet is never out of position in defense. Yp, In the middle I would have Puyol.
Funny how we can discuss football highlighting the often forgoten men of football ...

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
Coentrao is 22.  His next club should be one of the big ones.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
Coentrao was good.. in fact great, but he eh have nutten on Lahm in that wingback position. Lahm was ah terror going forward and still getting back in position to lock down his side... excellent captain's knock.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
I would find mention for Carles Puyol ... I cant think of a Spain or Barcelone team without him ...and they are the best at the moment. Puyol even finds the time to score crucial goals yet is never out of position in defense. Yp, In the middle I would have Puyol.
Funny how we can discuss football highlighting the often forgoten men of football ...

Puyol is a heart and soul defender.  He gives EVERYTHING for his team.

But he's far from the best in his position IMO.  In fact, he's often a liability.  That doesn't change the fact that he brings intangibles to whatever team he plays for.

But if you check the games Spain played....it was Puyol's mistake that caused Switzerland to score against Spain

He was exposed as too slow against Chile, Paraguay, & Portugal.  He had a head start on Robben who passed him like a full bus that resulted in Puyol trying to rugby tackle Robben to the ground (and failing).

Heart & Soul is a trememendous asset to have in your team....but for me his "success" is more a testament to Pique's presence and positioning than Puyol's excellence in defence.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »

Fucile
Lucio
Lugano
Contreao

i agree 100%

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »

Puyol is a heart and soul defender.  He gives EVERYTHING for his team.

But he's far from the best in his position IMO.  In fact, he's often a liability.  That doesn't change the fact that he brings intangibles to whatever team he plays for.

But if you check the games Spain played....it was Puyol's mistake that caused Switzerland to score against Spain

He was exposed as too slow against Chile, Paraguay, & Portugal.  He had a head start on Robben who passed him like a full bus that resulted in Puyol trying to rugby tackle Robben to the ground (and failing).

Heart & Soul is a trememendous asset to have in your team....but for me his "success" is more a testament to Pique's presence and positioning than Puyol's excellence in defence.
But are you being fair here ? ...how many times was Lucio exposed for Brazil ? Not many defenders can stay with Robben you know .

Here's what goal.com had to say about Puyol

Goal.com Player of the Day #23: Carles Puyol
Club: Barcelona
Role: Defender
Achievement: Scored the winner in Spain's 1-0 win against Germany

Spain dominated the match against Germany for the most part and as strong as Puyol was at the back, he did the business up front too.

He powered his way into the box to meet Xavi's whipped in ball from the corner, leaving Manuel Neuer flapping. He timed his run to perfection to leave the German defence for dead as he made contact with the ball.

There was no way back for the Germans as Puyol proved once again how vital his contributions are when things don't go to plan up front. An old fashioned goal from the experienced defender.

Congratulations to Carles, Goal.com's 23rd Player of the Day

look at Puyol over the entire tournament...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »

I did.  I also watched him these past 2 seasons with barca.

It's why I posted what I did.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 12:51:52 PM »
But are you being fair here ? ...how many times was Lucio exposed for Brazil ? Not many defenders can stay with Robben you know .

Lucio never had a head start on a player and de player pass him like Ozil on Gareth Barry.  Robben do almost de same ting to Puyol (except Ozil was a little further back)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oma9jAyIuSA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Oma9jAyIuSA</a>

Look how much of a head start Puyol had on Robben.  For an international defender, dat eh right.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »

Lucio never had a head start on a player and de player pass him like Ozil on Gareth Barry. 
Robben do almost de same ting to Puyol (except Ozil was a little further back)

Look how much of a head start Puyol had on Robben.  For an international defender, dat eh right.

In fact Lucio does do de opposite...

Give ah striker a head start and he go run him down.... see Giuseppe Rossi at de last confederations cup
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »

But we talkin about defenders performances at the WC, not their past 2 seasons.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »

Lucio never had a head start on a player and de player pass him like Ozil on Gareth Barry.  Robben do almost de same ting to Puyol (except Ozil was a little further back)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oma9jAyIuSA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Oma9jAyIuSA</a>

So how then do you explain Schneider getting a free header in the centre of Brazil's  defense ? ...an international central defender eh suppose to allow dat ...he bigger , stronger, and yet could not stop a goal which I have seen practiced in UWI training grounds .
You see we could point to mistakes to justify how good someone isn't ...why not evaluate on the positives ? you mentioned before that Puyol rassled Robben to stop him from scoring ...in my books he stopped him did't he ? had he not done that the result might have been different. Puyol was alays there when the team needed him ...even to score a winner ..that for me makes for good player and someone I will always have on my team. He eh fancy ...not he eh pansy either !

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »

But we talkin about defenders performances at the WC, not their past 2 seasons.

And I also basin my comments on this WC.

Is jes my opinion.  Peeps doh have to agree.

I rate...Diego Lugano, Pique, Carvalho, Lucio, Juan, Mertersacker, Mathijsen, better players than Puyol

Again....my opinion

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:34 PM »
Coentrao was good.. in fact great, but he eh have nutten on Lahm in that wingback position. Lahm was ah terror going forward and still getting back in position to lock down his side... excellent captain's knock.

but Lahm play RB. Yuh icking Lahm over Maicon  or Fucile for this tournament.

Coentrao was very impressive for me, especially since he now start playing defense. Up till last year he was a enter but to me he seem more adept at the defending part of the job than other attacking backs like Ramos Alves.

I would pick Pique for CB. The ability of him and Puyol to play the football really helps SpaIn play. He also get to real corners just couldn't find the target.

I get sour on Lucio. Very professional performance but almost too much so. Plenty gamesmanship, constantly taking on the ref and then flopping when he get a chance. And for Juan goal he clear out two Chile defenders without even the pretence of attacking the ball.

Lugano is a good pick but both Alcaraz and Da Silva were good for Paraguay too.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
Fucile isn't half the goalkeeper that Suarez is.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 05:44:43 PM »
Fucile isn't half the goalkeeper that Suarez is.

;D Ent!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »
Lucio for president- everybody else come 2nd...

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »
If I were to name my top defense team it would be based on the fact that football is a team game and certain positions on the team work in tandem. The central defenders are paired ...which speaks volumes ! It is how they work together rather than how each individual plays. It is therefore more the sum of the collective play rather than the individual contributions.

As outstanding WC central defenders I would select the tried and proven pair of Puyol and Pique who have also played together for club as well as country and who I am sure will later be spoken of in the same glowing terms as twin strikers were in days gone by. Yorke / Cole.......Crooks/ Archibald..........Maradona/Careca....that is before single strikers became the norm.

Individually they were good but when they worked together it was like a good relay team ...and we know it is not always the 4 fastest individual runners who receive the gold medal.

well football is a team game so I eh breaking up a winning combination ...for club and country ...
For the wing back positions I could see individualism working to a greater extent here ...as this position is not paired. The best right back in the world for me was not played in his position ....so I can not put Alves in that position . I would go for Fucile, who was outstanding in this WC and in the left back position I would go for Andy Cole who was not mastered even in defeat .

I would use the same reasoning for midfielders as for central defenders if that was asked ..for great combinations are the norm rather than great individuals ....we often miss those players who make others look good ...

short personal story ...when I played sweeper in football I had a player who was willing to sacrifice himself for the team ...he would react to all my instructions , often taking all kinda beat ...and I would look good sweeping up . He would force people to long push and ting or go where I was waiting ...I am sure old stagers could relate to the phrase " send him line " ..

you see you did not have to try and be a hero against a top striker ...it was the " bees approach " in those days ...all working for the hive ....some die in the effort but the job gets done .

After the game we would joke about how an opponent thought he was clear only to meet a hard tackle or to find that the push was too long.
Germany used this technique to the max against Argentina .....they broke up the playing units so players were often left alone ...You see I rambling again ..Is Palos does cause meh to go into all dis ting ....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »

Fucile
Lucio
Lugano
Contreao

Honourable mention to
Anthony Annan - Ghana
Sami Khedira - Germany
Sergio Busquets - Spain

??? Re: Lucio: Wouldn't he have to dominate in his position also?

Poor Lugano ... the one first touch that betrayed him ultimately saw Uruguay exit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:21:04 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »

but Lahm play RB. Yuh icking Lahm over Maicon  or Fucile for this tournament.

Coentrao was very impressive for me, especially since he now start playing defense. Up till last year he was a enter but to me he seem more adept at the defending part of the job than other attacking backs like Ramos Alves.

I would pick Pique for CB. The ability of him and Puyol to play the football really helps SpaIn play. He also get to real corners just couldn't find the target.

I get sour on Lucio. Very professional performance but almost too much so. Plenty gamesmanship, constantly taking on the ref and then flopping when he get a chance. And for Juan goal he clear out two Chile defenders without even the pretence of attacking the ball.

Lugano is a good pick but both Alcaraz and Da Silva were good for Paraguay too.

Absolutely.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 05:41:00 AM »

Fucile
Lucio
Lugano
Contreao

Honourable mention to
Anthony Annan - Ghana
Sami Khedira - Germany
Sergio Busquets - Spain

Poor Lugano ... the one first touch that betrayed him ultimately saw Uruguay exit.

lugano didnt play in the semis.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »

Fucile
Lucio
Lugano
Contreao

Honourable mention to
Anthony Annan - Ghana
Sami Khedira - Germany
Sergio Busquets - Spain

lugano didnt play in the semis.

It was a reference to Uruguay's final match.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_63/default.stm

1]; } ?>