April 28, 2024, 04:18:25 PM

Author Topic: Nizam Mohammed Thread  (Read 21933 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Nizam Mohammed Thread
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:29:56 AM »
Nizam a serial politician—Rowley
Opposition Leader slams new PSC head...
Gail Alexander (Guardian).

Former ULF, NAR and COP senior member Nizam Mohammed is a “serial politician” and is an inappropriate choice to head the Police Service Commission which needs to be free from political interference, says PNM leader Keith Rowley. Rowley was speaking in Parliament yesterday, on a motion to validate the President’s nominations for the commission.

This had earlier been piloted by National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy. Sandy listed nominees Mohammed, Addison Khan, Martin George, Jacqueline Cheeseman and Kenneth Parker. He said the appointment was for members, since the appointment of a commission chairman was within the discretion of the President.

Saying nominees were qualified, Sandy noted that Cheeseman who had expertise in management and finance was a former member of the Police Service Commission. Sandy said Mohammed is an attorney and was former House Speaker, while Khan is also an attorney and former president of the Industrial Court. George, also an attorney, has management expertise, while Parker who has finance and economics skills had worked with the Organisation of American States, Sandy added.

Rowley, however, while wishing Sandy well in his endeavours, said it was with regret he had to take issue with Sandy’s contribution, since it did not find complete favour with the Opposition. Rowley said the same issue of removing political interference from the Police Service that existed in the issue of the appointment of a Police Commissioner, was also present in the commission appointments.

He said this created even more political involvement and partisanship than before, since members of the PP Government had been announcing who the commission members would be, before the President’s nominations. Noting the service commissions’ history of independence, Rowley said politicians’ service was not wanted on independent commissions. Yet, he said, he had seen members of the PP Government advising the country of the names of politicians who would serve on the Police Service Commission.

“Sandy cannot erase the fact that two of his colleagues were telling T&T who the chairman of the PSC would be—total disregard for presidential discretion! ‘The president can go jump in a lake—we know who we want,’” Rowley added of the Government’s position. He said if the PNM had done that, every Government MP would have known exactly what to say and do.

Describing Mohammed as a “serial politician,” Rowley read out Mohammed’s political history, starting with Mohammed’s days in the ULF in the 1980s, including as ULF chairman. Rowley noted Mohammed’s role as a co-founder of the NAR, as MP and a onetime NAR leader. He noted that Mohammed was listed up to January 2009 as an active COP member serving on a COP constitution team. He also said Mohammed was once an Opposition chief whip and former House Speaker as well.

Rowley said he was sure the COP members who were so proud of “new politics” did not expect that independent commissions would be chaired by politicians. But he said the COP was totally prepared to sit idly by and pick up crumbs from the UNC’s table as part of the PP. “But we in the PNM aren’t prepared to tolerate that,” Rowley said. However, because the PP held a healthy parliamentary majority, Rowley said the Government felt it could so as it wanted. “But the PNM will have none of it!” Rowley declared.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:58:06 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Nizam a serial politician—Rowley
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:32:34 AM »
Govt gets Nizam
By Clint Chan Tack Saturday, July 17 2010

DESPITE vigorous protests from Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley about Nizam Mohammed’s unsuitability to be a member of the Police Service Commission (PSC) because he is allegedly still an active politician, the People’s Partnership Government yesterday succeeded in approving Mohammed’s nomination.

Mohammed was the only PSC nominee which the Opposition People’s National Movement (PNM) objected to during yesterday’s sitting of the House of Representatives. The Opposition raised no objection to the remaining nominees — former Industrial Court president Addison Khan, attorney Martin George, Kenneth Parker and former PSC member Jacqueline Cheeseman and the House approved them to complete the composition of the new commission. They will now be appointed by President George Maxwell Richards on a date to be announced.

As he opened debate on the motion to approve Mohammed’s nomination, National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy said, “At present, therefore there is no PSC in existence and we must act quickly to correct this situation as such a significant function ought not to be neglected for any inordinate period. The purpose of this motion relates to the appointment of members of the PSC, not its chairmanship. That responsibility lies with His Excellency, the President who is authorised by the Constitution in his own discretion to appoint a chairman of the PSC from among its members.”

Declaring that Government believed the nominees had the expertise to be members of the Commission, Sandy noted that in Mohammed’s case, he is “an attorney at law and a former Speaker of the House of Representatives.”

In response, Rowley said while he had no issue with Mohammed as an individual, “the only relevant part in this debate is his qualification as a politician.”

“I defy any on that side and those in the back of us to get up and tell me and to tell this country, in the true sense of the phrase of the word, that he is not a politician,” Rowley declared. Listing Mohammed’s affiliations with the ULF and NAR from 1975 to 1999, Rowley claimed Mohammed is an active member of the Congress of the People (COP), one of the four political parties comprising the People’s Partnership.

Referring to a January 16, 2009 media statement issued by the COP, Rowley said Mohammed was a member of “the COP’s high-powered team of active politicians,” which was drafting constitutional reform proposals.

While the PSC is an independent body, Rowley said at least two senior Cabinet ministers have been publicly saying that Mohammed would chair the Commission and Mohammed himself said he was being asked to do so by the Government. “Total disregard for the presidential discretion as written in the law that the chairman is to be appointed on the sole discretion of the President,” he said.

Rowley claimed Government was indirectly saying, “the President could go jump in a lake, we know who we want for the chairman.”

Government Chief Whip Dr Roodal Moonilal countered Rowley’s arguments and said former PSC chairman Kenneth Lalla was an MP.

“You playing smart with foolishness. Mr Lalla came out of politics for years before he became chairman of anything,” Rowley replied. Barataria/San Juan MP Dr Fuad Khan said the motion did not say Mohammed would chair the PSC.

Finance Minister Winston Dookeran, who is also COP political leader, said Mohammed’s membership in his party was “open to question.”

“Are you saying he is not able to discharge his function impartially which to me is the fundamental issue before us?” Dookeran asked.

Expressing his disappointment with Dookeran’s remarks, Rowley urged the Government not to use its parliamentary majority in the House to approve Mohammed’s nomination.

“For to do so, is henceforth to say that we no longer have independent commissions, commissions will be what the Government wants, partisan or otherwise. I ask the Government not to play fast and loose with our Constitution,” he said.

Concluding the debate, Sandy defended Mohammed again.

“I had not heard anyone refer to him as biased or non-professional. It is unfair to sit here and cast aspersions on the gentleman,” said Sandy.

He said former President Arthur NR Robinson was a former politician but showed an element of bias as Head of State. The House passed the motion to approve Mohammed as a PSC member by 24 Government votes “for” to ten Opposition votes “against.”

Contacted after the adjournment of the House, Mohammed declined to say whether he was still an active politician. “I am not responding to any politician. I have absolutely no comment to make on what happened in the Parliament.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:16:33 AM »
Nizam is my neighbor in La Romain and he acts like he does shit ice cream. What an idiot. !!!!
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
Nizam is my neighbor in La Romain and he acts like he does shit ice cream. What an idiot. !!!!

chocolate flavour or wha   :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:34 AM »

WOW Flex boi he have 2 b real dotish.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
Mih ent know what Rowley fussing about.  So what if he is a politician??  Dat doh mean he cyar be impartial and do de wuk.....Rowley just want something to talk about..... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
Mih ent know what Rowley fussing about.  So what if he is a politician??  Dat doh mean he cyar be impartial and do de wuk.....Rowley just want something to talk about..... ::) ::)
:devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »
I happen to agree with Rowley. It is improper for politicians to serve on Service Commissions especially after the AG's recent public spat with the Commissioner of Police.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »

IF Patos had done this u would neva hear d end plus doh take meh 4 a fool and say d President have d final say when max on leave and yuh pardner d President of d Senate acting.
I happen to agree with Rowley. It is improper for politicians to serve on Service Commissions especially after the AG's recent public spat with the Commissioner of Police.

CO-SIGNNNNNN.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:07:16 PM »

Yuh know ah being sarcastic right Jah Gol??   :)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 06:34:55 PM »

lol, I've been clamouring for a sarcasm emoticon for the longest while.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 07:03:07 PM »

I think it doesn't exist for a reason :) Sarcasm identified before the fact is  ... Meanwhile just play de devil :devil:  ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:06:00 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »
:beermug:
I think it doesn't exist for a reason :) Sarcasm identified before the fact is  ... Meanwhile just play de devil :devil:  ;D
:beermug:

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
Hmmm

POLICE remained mum on their decision, at the last-minute, to cancel permission previously given to the People's National Movement (PNM) to host a political meeting along the Eastern Main Road in Tunapuna last evening.

The incident has angered Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley, who said the party's campaign coordinator for Tunapuna/Piarco was yesterday summoned and detained for two hours by Tunapuna police. He described the incident as an act of discrimination, saying that during the recently concluded general election, permission was granted to the Congress of the People (COP) to use the same venue with the full cooperation of the police.

In a press release, Rowley said on Monday permission was sought and approved by the police for the use of the Eastern Main Road in Tunapuna for a local government meeting, but yesterday the police "surprisingly have raised a series of frivolous objections and reneged on the approval of Monday".

The party was advised to find another venue to host the meeting, which eventually took place at the Exodus Panyard in Tunapuna.

Rowley said, "The PNM condemns this obstructionist action of the officers concerned, and calls on the Commissioner of Police (Ag) to advise the police to do everything possible to maintain independence of the service and adhere to the motto to 'Protect and Serve."

When contacted last night, National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy described the incident as "strange", adding that he was not aware of the situation.

"That is strange. I can't see why they would want to do that, but I can't really say why it may have happened because I don't know. I was in a meeting all afternoon," Sandy told the Express.

And the PSC head just got confirmed. Guess who.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »

LOL....the  ::) is my cue for sarcasm.... :)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 06:35:47 AM »

Doh worry gyal. I know yuh was being sarcastic.

And i does prefer to hit dem it like arrow..and have ppl jump out dey crease looking to voop...and getting stump.

LOL....the  ::) is my cue for sarcasm.... :)
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 06:07:13 AM »
Mohammed gets a taste of 'police rudeness'
Cops, PSC chairman clash
By Akile Simon

TWO police officers who were on traffic duties in downtown Port of Spain yesterday are now at the centre of an investigation after a confrontation with chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC), Nizam Mohammed.

Colleagues of WPC Marlene Gittens and PC Sean Batson yesterday expressed concern that with the "stroke of a pen" the officers could be dismissed from the service, for simply performing their duties.

Even before the officers returned to the Central Police Station on St Vincent Street, on a break during their tour of duty, Deputy Commissioner of Police Jack Ewatski had sent a telephone message to the station, requesting a report on the incident, where Mohammed allegedly disobeyed a traffic instruction and was pulled over by the police officers.

Contacted last evening, Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs said while he was aware of the incident he was yet to receive a report.

Gibbs said, "The reports are being dealt with through the staff here and through one of the deputies (Jack Ewatski) here. Mr Mohammed wasn't able to reach me because I was in fact in other meetings.

"I don't know all the details, as you indicated to me, because I haven't received the reports yet so I cannot make comment on it...I have spoken to Mr Mohammed, but again, I am not investigating what took place, so until I have all the facts, I can't make any comment on what could take place," Gibbs said.

Told of the fear among officers that two Special Reserve Police officers could be dismissed for performing their duties, Gibbs said he could not say what the outcome of the matter would be until it was properly investigated.

The incident between Mohammed and the officers occurred around 12.40 p.m., while Gittens and Batson were directing traffic at the corner of Henry Street and Independence Square in Port of Spain.

Batson and Gittens, who were dressed in police uniform, were directing three lanes of traffic, one of which was proceeding onto Henry Street, heading north, while the other two lanes were proceeding east.

According to a statement given by the officers, a police source said, a black KIA Sportage SUV was proceeding on the centre lane and attempted to turn unto Henry Street.

Gittens, who was in front of the SUV, signaled to the driver to proceed east, but the driver of the SUV stopped the vehicle and identified himself as Nizam Mohammed, chairman of the Police Service Commission.

According to the statements, Mohammed told the officers he wanted to go up Henry Street because his office was located on Queen Street, but Gittens told Mohammed he had to continue east along Independence Square.

Gittens stated that Mohammed subsequently disobeyed her instructions and drove off onto Henry Street. She and Batson pursued Mohammed's vehicle, on foot, and caught up with it as it got stuck in traffic along the roadway.

Mohammed, the statement read, was ordered to pull his vehicle to the side of the roadway near the Puma Store, and asked to produce his driver's permit and insurance certificate.

Officers said Mohammed handed over his driver's permit and insurance and rolled up his window. Mohammed then made a call on his cell phone and later reportedly told Gittens that "the Commissioner" was on the phone and he wished to speak with her.

In response, officers said Gittens told Mohammed that she could not take the call since she was performing traffic duties.

After the officers recorded information from Mohammed's driving documents, he was allowed to leave.

In their report, Gittens and Batson, who have four years service, recommended that Mohammed be charged with failing to comply with a lawful instruction and causing an unnecessary obstruction.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 06:52:39 AM »
 :-X

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Mohammed_gets_a_taste_of__police_rudeness_-111238889.html

CHAIRMAN of the Police Service Commission (PSC) Nizam Mohammed yesterday said he got a taste of "police rudeness" during an incident when he was stopped by two police officers on traffic duties in Port of Spain.

Mohammed said he was surprised at the treatment meted out to him by WPC Marlene Gittens and PC Sean Batson, after the officers stopped his vehicle at the corner of Henry Street and Independence Square shortly after midday.

Mohammed said, he was proceeding to his Queen Street office, where he had to attend a statutory meeting with Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs and the CoP's deputies Stephen Williams, Maurice Piggott and Jack Ewatski.

Mohammed said as far as he was concerned, he did not violate any law, but challenged the officers to initiate prosecution against him if they felt he violated any traffic laws.

"What? I failed to follow a lawful instruction? If the lady (WPC Gittens) is saying that I failed to obey a lawful instruction, well then, let her charge me... I have not broken any law," Mohammed told the Express during a phone interview last evening.

Mohammed said after he was pulled over by the officers he became fearful for his life after a crowd of people approached his vehicle and began threatening him.

He said while proceeding along Independence Square, he was stopped by Gittens. He said he told the officer his name and that he was chairman of the Police Service Commission and had to attend a meeting at his Queen Street office with Commissioner of Police and his three deputies. Gittens, he said, gave him the clearance to proceed unto Henry Street.

He said he attempted to call the cell phones of Gibbs, Williams and Piggott, but did not get through but eventually got on to Ewatski, who requested to speak with Gittens, but the officer refused to take the call.

Mohammed said, "She (Gittens) told me to go ahead and the next thing is that I am in the traffic jam, on Henry Street between Queen Street and Independence Square, and she came up with a male police officer and knocked on my window and told me to pull aside, and I pulled aside.

"They told me they wanted my insurance and driver's permit and I gave it to them, and they handed it back to me. Then a man with a half-empty beer bottle came up and started threatening me and started talking about 'lock him up' and that kind of thing, and that is what forced me to call (Ewatski) for help."

He said, "I was virtually shaken, you know, because when the crowd gathered and were threatening me, they (Gittens and Batson) did absolutely nothing... I had a good taste of police rudeness to members of the public. They endangered my life and I was scared to death," Mohammed said.

Mohammed added he took a while to locate his certificate of insurance because it was mixed up with other documents in his vehicle. He said Batson told him, "But I ask you for your insurance certificate."

"I said 'give me minute, let me call the Commissioner because you all seem not to want to listen to me'. He said (Batson) 'well if the Commissioner has your insurance certificate, call him'."

Mohammed said up to late yesterday, the officers did not inform him that he committed any offence nor was he warned of any intended prosecution.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:46:29 AM by Bourbon »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »
If the people in charge not following the law or showing respect for Police Officers, how should regular citizens comply? No one wants to lead by example.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 09:06:44 AM »

"I said 'give me minute, let me call the Commissioner because you all seem not to want to listen to me'. He said (Batson) 'well if the Commissioner has your insurance certificate, call him'."

It had so much in dem two article ah wanted to respond to eh... but ah say nah, dat go be "nitpicking".

But dis one take de cake....  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »

It had so much in dem two article ah wanted to respond to eh... but ah say nah, dat go be "nitpicking".

But dis one take de cake....  :rotfl: :rotfl:
Trini is the greatest yes....I guess the rules only apply to you and me not the to "haves" in our society.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »
Nizam version sound like he was making it up on the spot.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 10:40:10 PM »
I cyah believe pardna try and pull rank on dem... "I'z de (so and so), allyuh should let me get ah bligh because I about tuh go meet with de CoP."  Part ah me understand, but is either yuh leave home early so that yuh doh arrive late (in yuh blasted Kia), yuh get in de right lane or yuh make de rounds like everybody else.

Then talking about how they endanger he life... he get frighten so he call de CoP heself fuh help.  All ah we should be so special.  De policewoman dam right... I busy doing what de public paying me to do, I doh have time to talk to nobody on yuh cellphone.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
I cyah believe pardna try and pull rank on dem... "I'z de (so and so), allyuh should let me get ah bligh because I about tuh go meet with de CoP."  Part ah me understand, but is either yuh leave home early so that yuh doh arrive late (in yuh blasted Kia), yuh get in de right lane or yuh make de rounds like everybody else.

Then talking about how they endanger he life... he get frighten so he call de CoP heself fuh help.  All ah we should be so special.  De policewoman dam right... I busy doing what de public paying me to do, I doh have time to talk to nobody on yuh cellphone.

He sound like real stupidman. Is better he didn't say anything.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »

chocolate flavour or wha   :devil:
:rotfl:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 08:39:37 AM »

According to a statement given by the officers, a police source said, a black KIA Sportage SUV was proceeding on the centre lane and attempted to turn unto Henry Street.

Gittens, who was in front of the SUV, signaled to the driver to proceed east, but the driver of the SUV stopped the vehicle and identified himself as Nizam Mohammed, chairman of the Police Service Commission.

According to the statements, Mohammed told the officers he wanted to go up Henry Street because his office was located on Queen Street, but Gittens told Mohammed he had to continue east along Independence Square.

Gittens stated that Mohammed subsequently disobeyed her instructions and drove off onto Henry Street. She and Batson pursued Mohammed's vehicle, on foot, and caught up with it as it got stuck in traffic along the roadway.

Mohammed, the statement read, was ordered to pull his vehicle to the side of the roadway near the Puma Store, and asked to produce his driver's permit and insurance certificate.

Officers said Mohammed handed over his driver's permit and insurance and rolled up his window. Mohammed then made a call on his cell phone and later reportedly told Gittens that "the Commissioner" was on the phone and he wished to speak with her.

In response, officers said Gittens told Mohammed that she could not take the call since she was performing traffic duties.

After the officers recorded information from Mohammed's driving documents, he was allowed to leave.

In their report, Gittens and Batson, who have four years service, recommended that Mohammed be charged with failing to comply with a lawful instruction and causing an unnecessary obstruction.

If this account is true, that police woman deserve a medal.  So because he is head of the PSC he could do what the hell he want??!!   Steups!!!

He said while proceeding along Independence Square, he was stopped by Gittens. He said he told the officer his name and that he was chairman of the Police Service Commission and had to attend a meeting at his Queen Street office with Commissioner of Police and his three deputies. Gittens, he said, gave him the clearance to proceed unto Henry Street.

He said he attempted to call the cell phones of Gibbs, Williams and Piggott, but did not get through but eventually got on to Ewatski, who requested to speak with Gittens, but the officer refused to take the call.

Mohammed said,"She (Gittens) told  me to go ahead and the next thing is that I am in the traffic jam, on Henry Street between Queen Street and Independence Square, and she came up with a male police officer and knocked on my window and told me to pull aside, and I pulled aside.

Dis part is what convince me Mohammed lying.  If she give him the go ahead, wha she doing coming to knock on your glass and ask for licence and insurance??  Steups, these people think we is fools yes!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:44:08 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »

If this account is true, that police woman deserve a medal.  So because he is head of the PSC he could do what the hell he want??!!   Steups!!!

Mohammed said,"She (Gittens) told  me to go ahead and the next thing is that I am in the traffic jam, on Henry Street between Queen Street and Independence Square, and she came up with a male police officer and knocked on my window and told me to pull aside, and I pulled aside.

Dis part is what convince me Mohammed lying.  If she give him the go ahead, wha she doing coming to knock on your glass and ask for licence and insurance??  Steups, these people think we is fools yes!!!

He playing the belief that :
1) The Police does treat the public rude, and
2) There is no trust in the Police where the Public is concern.

I hope he see ho the Public come to the aid of the Officer. Kudos to the people who tried to assist the Officer. Special mention to the amn with the half empty beer bottle.  :beermug:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »
Well if the cops in the clear, then Nizam wrong  :thinking:......hhhhmmm let we see if the police have de balls........

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Traffic_cops_in_the_clear-111973329.html

Traffic cops in the clear

TWO police constables involved in a confrontation with chairman of the Police Service Commission, Nizam Mohammed, in Port of Spain two weeks ago, will not be facing any disciplinary charges.
WPC Marlene Gittens and PC Sean Batson, two Special Reserve Police officers, were the officers involved in the incident with Mohammed on December 2, while the cops were performing traffic duties at the corner of Henry Street and Independence Square.
Mohammed accused Gittens and Batson of being rude to him, alleging that the officers failed to respond when a group of people threatened him.  Colleagues of the officers, who expressed fear that with the "stroke of a pen" the officers could be dismissed from the service, said they were awaiting the outcome of the matter.
However, a police source yesterday told the Express that a decision was taken that no disciplinary action would be taken against Gittens and Batson.

Contacted yesterday, Deputy Commissioner of Police Jack Ewatski said he has looked at the report submitted by the officers and has since passed the report back to ACP Simon Alexis, head of the North-West Division.
Ewatski, however, did not wish to say what instructions he gave to Alexis.
"I asked him (Alexis) to firstly speak with Mr Mohammed and the two officers, and the reason why I am not sharing that information at this stage is because I don't want them to read it in the newspapers and not be fully informed about the developments," Ewatski added.

The DCP said he simply asked for a report, but noted that no investigation was ever launched into the incident.
He said, "I just wanted to get a clear picture from the officers on what had transpired that's why I asked for a report. I have since received and viewed that report and have passed it onto the Assistant Commissioner (Alexis). I have given the ACP instructions on how to deal with it and he would either deal with it himself or delegate someone else to deal with it."

In their statements, Gittens and Batson said Mohammed, who was in the middle lane proceeding east along Independence Square, was stopped by Gittens as he attempted to turn on to Henry Street. Gittens alleged that Mohammed disobeyed a lawful instruction and caused an unnecessary obstruction when she signaled to him to continue proceeding east. She said Mohammed drove off onto Henry Street. Batson and Gittens then pursued his black Kia Sportage SUV on foot and ordered Mohammed to pull to the side of the road.
In their statements, the officers also recommended that Mohammed be charged with disobeying a lawful instruction and causing an unnecessary obstruction.

Mohammed had said at the time he was heading to his Queen Street office to hold a meeting with Gibbs and his deputies, Stephen Williams, Maurice Piggott and Ewatski.  Hours after the incident, he told the Express he got a taste of "police rudeness" during his encounter with Gittens and Batson, an allegation the officers have denied.  During the incident, Mohammed said he made telephone calls to Gibbs, Williams and Piggott to report the incident, after he was threatened by a group of people, but he did not get the officers. Eventually he got on to Ewatski and reported the incident to him and later to Gibbs.
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »
Check dis article..cuz I think I got lost near the end.

Nizam attack bid to undermine PSC

Israel Khan.

The incessant attack against Nizam Mohammed by certain politicians and his detractors is certainly getting out of hand. His detractors are attempting to make a mountain out of a molehill. It was alleged by a Special Reserve Police officer that Mr Mohammed had disobeyed a lawful traffic signal given to him by her good self. Mr Mohammed contended that he had not disobeyed any lawful direction given to him. He also stated that the said officer was in dereliction of duty when she failed to dispel a rowdy crowd of people who had converged on his car with one man threatening him with a beer bottle. It should be especially noted that the police handled this imbroglio by mediation and the matter has been settled. No charge of disobeying a traffic signal will be made against Mr Mohammed and Mr Mohammed is not pursuing his allegation of dereliction of duty against the officer. And this is in keeping with the philosophy of restorative justice for trivial criminal offences which the criminal justice system has adopted. But Mr Mohammed’s detractors have refused to let sleeping dogs lie.

From the moment Mr Mohammed’s name surfaced as a possible candidate to head the Police Service Commission (PSC), certain politicians began to attack his character and integrity. He was called a “serial politician” because he had been a member of different political parties during his very long stint in politics. They conveniently forgot that he had served this country well as a politician. He served three terms in the House of Representatives, and at one time was the Speaker of the House. He was a strong and impartial Speaker. I distinctly recall that during a certain debate he told his own Prime Minister to take his seat when the Speaker was on his legs. Mr Mohammed is a very senior attorney who has built a reputation for himself both in public life and in the legal profession. He is highly respected for his forthright and no-nonsense approach. He has refused to be provoked into a public duel on this matter involving the police officer which has frustrated those who wish to latch on to this trivial issue for the sole purpose of publicity.

The nature of his job as chairman of the PSC does not permit him to defend himself publicly against his detractors. One must understand the onerous responsibility of confidentiality and fair play placed on the chairman of such a commission which precludes Mr Mohammed from engaging in such frivolous banter. I understand that the Leader of the Opposition is contemplating moving a motion in the House of Representatives to debate this matter which has been amicably settled by all parties. Considering all the serious matters facing the country, this proposed motion is incredulous. What Opposition Leader Rowley should be concerned with is not the PSC chairman’s altercation with a police officer on an alleged traffic violation, but with the fact that the Police Service (like the army and coast guard) is grossly unbalanced in its composition, in favour of the Africans. It does not reflect that there is an equal place for every creed and race in the Police Service. Maybe there is a good reason for this imbalance; if so, it should be told to the nation.

How is it that the CEOs of the municipal corporations and borough corporations are 90 per cent African? And the permanent secretaries in the various ministries are the same. You know, I can distinctly recall former Prime Minister Patrick Manning commenting a few years ago that he could not find a single competent Hindu to place in his Cabinet. Where have all these competent Hindu ministers in the present Cabinet (including the Prime Minister) come from? Mars? The Leader of the Opposition in targeting Mr Mohammed as a political enemy of the PNM and the country is unwittingly undermining the PSC. Or is it that he is fearful that Mr Mohammed would get to the bottom of the scandalous state of affairs of the unbalanced ethnic composition of the Police Service and do something about it—if this action is both necessary and possible.

We are all patriots of this country—what is fair is fair. Just as something should be done to ensure that Africans form construction companies to build houses and highways, so too must we ensure that the East Indians be included in the armed forces as an integral part of this cosmopolitan nation. And incidentally, I support Labour Minister Errol Mc Leod who stated publicly that employment in the URP is for all deserving people, whether they are PNM or UNC, COP or NJAC.

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
big petition going around T&T to remove Nizam and have him face charges

1]; } ?>