April 28, 2024, 08:59:43 PM

Author Topic: Nizam Mohammed Thread  (Read 21940 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nizam a serial politician—Rowley
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
This could go here or in the Gibbs thread.  Either way I lost respect for he and he eh do nutten yet.....he still have 2 more months doh before he pack up and ride, by my clock......his balls might grow back before then to change mih mind.......

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/CoP_on_Nizam__A_closed_issue-114247689.html

CoP on Nizam: A closed issue

CASE closed.
This was the response from Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs yesterday, when asked about the status of the traffic matter involving chairman of the Police Service Commission Nizam Mohammed and two traffic officers in downtown Port of Spain last year.
Mohammed was facing traffic charges of failing to comply with a lawful instruction and causing an unnecessary obstruction during a confrontation he had with WPC Marlene Gittens and PC Sean Batson, two Special Reserve Police officers, on December 2 at the corner of Henry Street and Independence Square.
Contacted last evening on the matter, Gibbs initially said he had nothing to say and advised that we contact his public affairs unit for a response. He then said the case was closed and offered no further comment.
One month ago, the Express sent an e-mail to Sharon Lee Assang, director of the Police Service's public affairs unit, seeking answers to several questions on the matter. There had been no reply to those questions up to last evening.

However, when pressed last evening to state the police's position on the matter, which has generated a high level of interest from the public, Gibbs said, "I'm not going to make any comment right now, but right now it's a closed issue." Asked to clarify what he meant and if the matter was dealt with and was over, Gibbs said, "Again, I'm not going to make any comment."

The Express had reported exclusively on this matter and noted three weeks ago that no action was going to be taken against Gittens and Batson, who were accused by Mohammed of being rude to him. Mohammed had also said the officers failed to respond after he was threatened by a man drinking beer.
Meanwhile, former attorney general Anthony Smart, during a radio programme on I95.5FM yesterday, called on President George Maxwell Richards to remove Mohammed from his position.
Smart said, "If in fact the information is correct, that Mr Nizam Mohammed disobeyed and disregarded a lawful command or instruction from a police officer, I think he must be removed from office for no behaviour. Nizam, as head of the Police Service Commission, should be the first person to observe and to obey a lawful instruction from a police officer, and if he doesn't, in my respectful view, he has misbehaved and he must be removed."

Mohammed has come under public criticism for his alleged failure to comply with WPC Gittens's instruction to continue proceeding east along Independence Square at the corner of Independence Square and Henry Street. Instead, Mohammed allegedly proceeded onto Henry Street and was chased by Gittens and Batson.
In an interview shortly after the incident, Mohammed had said he was given the all-clear by Gittens to proceed north onto Henry Street, after he identified himself to her and informed Gittens that he was on his way to attend a meeting with Gibbs and his three deputies. —Akile Simon
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 05:20:45 AM »
NIZAM CRIES RACE
'Too many Africans in Police Service'
By by Akile Simon

ALREADY under fire for allegedly using his office to wiggle his way out of traffic offences, chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC), Nizam Mohammed, yesterday suggested that it was his intention to balance the ethnic composition of the Police Service.

His statements brought a swift response from three of his fellow commissioners—attorney Martin George, Kenneth Parker and Jacqueline Cheeseman—who distanced themselves immediately, saying they did not agree with Mohammed's position.

Mohammed, whose appointment to the post was met with resistance from the Opposition on the argument that he was an active politician heading an independent commission, told a Joint Select Committee of Parliament examining the operations of the PSC that 50 per cent of the population were of East Indian descent and the executive of the Police Service did not reflect the composition of Trinidad and Tobago's multi-ethnic society.

Mohammed said he had recently received a copy of a letter from president of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service Social and Welfare Association , Sgt Anand Ramesar, which was sent to Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs, highlighting concerns regarding the ethnic composition of the Promotional and Advisory Board.

He said Ramesar stated he felt "threatened" and "unsafe" and asked that the PSC address the issue. Among the five-member promotion board, who are all of African descent, are Deputy Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams and Acting ACP Terry Young, including three civilians.

Mohammed said, "Out of ten Assistant Commissioners of Police, you don't have a single one of Indian origin. Out of three Deputy Commissioners, none of Indian origin. Well we have one Commissioner of Police. Senior Superintendent, you have 15 all of African origin, none of Indian origin.

"Happily when you look at the figures, you see at the Superintendent level, you have 21 of African origin and ten of East Indian origin and since within recent times, we have been emphasising the question of meritocracy as opposed to seniority, and Monday coming, Superintendents should be writing their exams. The better ones may move to Senior Superintendents and you may have a better mixture," Mohammed said.

He added such matters have to be corrected, "and you cannot approach a matter like this in an inflammatory, passionate, emotional kind of way.

"Fifty percent of this country are people of East Indian origin and you are asking them to support the Police Service. They have to provide the Police Service with information.

"They have to feel protected by the Police Service and when they see the hierarchy of the Police Service is as imbalanced as is reflected in these figures, and the chairman of the commission intends to tackle these things, you understand why the guns are being aimed at me. But I have a job to do and this is what I intend to do. I intend to address this with the help of the Parliament of Trinidad and Tobago. We need the protection."

Mohammed said such matters could not be hidden and, "It's either we are here to carry out our oath of service in the manner in which we took our oath. We have to take our oath seriously and handle these matters in a very dispassionate kind of way."

In an immediate response to Mohammed's statement, Health Minister Therese Baptiste-Cornelis, a member of the JSC, said she was very concerned and felt offended by the manner in which Mohammed made the ethnic classifications. "I just never like that. Those kinds of statements being made or those types of classifications. Especially someone like myself who is from all (both African and East Indian descent).

"When you all determine that, how do you all determine me? Because if you start to classify people as East Indian and African, we are running into a problem and this is exactly as a Government what we are trying to get away from. We are trying to go for everybody," she said.

In response, Mohammed said the figures he read from spoke of the persons of African, East Indian and mixed origin, "so you'd (Baptiste-Cornelis) be among the mixed," causing the chamber to erupt into laughter.

Baptiste-Cornelis continued that there were several ethnic groups within the country, adding that one must be very cautious using "racial classifications and we should discourage that being used in any forms of evaluations. It is really wrong and its offensive to people," she said.

Mohammed continued that the PSC simply wanted to ensure that all the members under its charge are treated fairly, "and it is no deliberate ploy or action on the part of anyone. All we are trying to do is create a fair and just society."

To Mohammed's surprise, attorney Martin George, a fellow PSC member, said he endorsed Baptiste-Cornelis's comment, adding that Mohammed's statement did not reflect the views of Cheeseman , Parker and himself.

"… I can state categorically that myself, Ms Cheeseman and Mr Parker; I know for sure, the comments of the chairman do not represent our views in terms of what he just said and we disagree."

"This is news to me," Mohammed interjected, as he glanced at Commissioner Khan, who sat in silence next to him.

There were several other objections to Mohammed's statements which included PNM MP Joanne Thomas, PNM Senator Shamfa Cudjoe and Government Senator David Abdulah.

Abdulah stated that the PSC's role is to ensure that the Commissioner of Police (CoP) and those responsible for promotions have clear guidelines while executing the process in a "fair and equitable" manner and to correct any reports of unfair treatment. He warned that Mohammed ought to be careful in his statements which could be easily interpreted negatively by mischief-makers.

Chairman of the JSC ,Senator Subhas Ramkhelawan, who also disagreed with Mohammed's statement, said he wanted to hear the personal views of Parker and Cheeseman on the issue.

Cheeseman said she was surprised that Mohammed raised such an issue at yesterday's forum, adding that she did not agree with his statements while Parker said the core function of the PSC is to monitor the performance of the CoP, his deputies and the police service, and therefore, they should not step out of their boundaries.

"… Now that is such a large remit that for the constitutionally established commission, trying to move outside of that, it's going to be a major challenge... So I would much prefer to stay within that remit and focus," Parker said

After Parker's contribution, Mohammed said he agreed with Abdulah's contribution, noting that he thought it necessary to inform the country about what was taking place within the Police Service.

Wants better mixture: Police Service Commission chairman Nizam Mohammed during yesterday's Joint Select Commitee hearing into the PSC at the Red House in Port of Spain.. —Photo: ROBERTO CODALLO
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
 :o :o...Happily when you look at the figures, you see at the Superintendent level, you have 21 of African origin and ten of East Indian origin and since within recent times, we have been emphasising the question of meritocracy as opposed to seniority, and Monday coming, Superintendents should be writing their exams. The better ones may move to Senior Superintendents and you may have a better mixture," Mohammed said. .... :o :o

If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
smh @ chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC), Nizam Mohammed.

look fodder here nah. Dry so ? :-[

This not even worthy of a substantial comment.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »
If people of indian decent want to govern themselves, why they eh move back to india.  They always on this etnic thing, what's the hang up.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »
If people of indian decent want to govern themselves, why they eh move back to india.  They always on this etnic thing, what's the hang up.

Dont let a few assholes cloud your mind because they have a few creole who does sing de same tune.

We are Trinis and proud, I am half/half (Indian and Creole) and I will not change that for the world, to hell with India and Africa.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »

Dont let a few assholes cloud your mind because they have a few creole who does sing de same tune.

We are Trinis and proud, I am half/half (Indian and Creole) and I will not change that for the world, to hell with India and Africa.
True, except this asshole heads the body responsible for recruitment, dismissal and promotion of police officers. He's not somebody in a bar or writing a letter to a newspaper.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »

This is how people shoulda reply to that idiot. I for my life can't understand these people who does push Indian and African thing. We's Trinbagonians and I find they should start taking away citizenshipp from people who pushing that kinda vibes. Go from we country if you can't accept and be proud to be a Trinbagonian.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »
Why all yuh surprising. Who vex lost but all yuh did not expect that this would have happen WHEN WE RISE. The UNC govt has a history of being racist. In d yrs 1995-2001 all d programmes geared 2 blacks were closed eg Youth Camps and OJT. Doh 4get how UTT in Pt. Lisas STRTED.

When Sat used 2 b boasting we eh want no govt wuk because we does wuk hard in d garden and we chirren does be Dr and Lawyer. So the past 2 decades they decide to join d police service and public service now dey expect 2 b at d head of d organizations.

Doh stop at Police c how much Indian PS it have. How much CDS was Indian.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »
lawd ...ah tried ah really tried to stay away but is the foolishness that  does make me want tuh respond.

Ah wonder what Nizam have tuh say about having two CANADIANS running the force?

It is with disdain and abhorrence that one has to be subjected to these  daily political posturing. Look I grew up when DLP and PNM were very adversarial but when you examined the make up of the PNM party in the 60's you had a multi racial and multi ethnic party representing various sectors and ethnicities
 in TNT since that  we have not fully achieved this sought of  representation.

We are a pluralistic society and we have  always have  some tensions in harmonizing but in my humble opinion  there is too much of a divisive element in the political arena today in TNT. Our NATIONAL identity has been replaced by a thirst for power through the 'race card' shameful  that politicians are trying to  stir up ethnic sentiments and  power and status.

GOOD; People get what they want.........is that what PEOPLE VOTED FOR .....? " ARE WE READY FOR THE TRUTH?"

TIGER DOH CHANGE THEY STRIPES.

WEARY yuh home  yuh know the insides and what happening...yuh tell them tell them gyul.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:51:29 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 08:06:26 PM »
lawd ...ah tried ah really tried to stay away but is the foolishness that  does make me want tuh respond.

Ah wonder what Nizam have tuh say about having two CANADIANS running the force?

It is with disdain and abhorrence that one has to be subjected to these  daily political posturing. Look I grew up when DLP and PNM were very adversarial but when you examined the make up of the PNM party in the 60's you had a multi racial and multi ethnic party representing various sectors and ethnicities
 in TNT since that  we have not fully achieved this sought of  representation.

We are a pluralistic society and we have  always have  some tensions in harmonizing but in my humble opinion  there is too much of a divisive element in the political arena today in TNT. Our NATIONAL identity has been replaced by a thirst for power through the 'race card' shameful  that politicians are trying to  stir up ethnic sentiments and  power and status.

GOOD; People get what they want.........is that what PEOPLE VOTED FOR .....? " ARE WE READY FOR THE TRUTH?"

TIGER DOH CHANGE THEY STRIPES.

WEARY yuh home  yuh know the insides and what happening...yuh tell them tell them gyul.

Nah I eh know what I talkin I is Manning gyul. Yuh eh read that I was sweetin up d sheets wit him. All yuh foreign base know more than we who living here.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 05:15:16 AM »
Nizam must go
Officers condemn PSC chairman:
By by Akile Simon

ASSISTANT Commissioner of Police Fitzroy Fredericks last night called for the immediate removal of chairman of the Police Service Commission Nizam Mohammed over racial statements Mohammed made on Friday.

Frederick, who said he was annoyed and hurt by Mohammed's statements, said Mohammed was "farse and out of place" when he said there were too many police officers of African descent on the executive of the Police Service, as compared to East Indians.

Frederick, speaking on behalf of the executive of the Police Service, said he has placed Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs on notice that he intends to hold a news conference today at 10 a.m. at the Police Administration Building to "deal with the atrocious statements Mr Nizam Mohammed has made".

"We are disturbed and hurt and we are not working with that... We will not be working until Mohammed is removed... The Commissioner doesn't know the history of the Police Service here and we are going to deal with all of these issues tomorrow (today).

"We will also be calling for Mohammed to be removed as head of the PSC because he cannot be allowed to continue behaving in such manner."

He said, "This is the second time someone in high public office has targeted African people within the executive of the Police Service for absolutely no reason and I say we have had enough and we are not taking these matters lightly.

"The Attorney General, Anand Ramlogan, did it last year and we are not going to work until these issues are dealt with because it seemed they are trying to fan the flames of race and divide the Police Service, and we will not stand idly by and allow it to happen. I want my fellow executive officers to rally around me and let's deal with this issue head-on," Fredericks said.

On Friday, Mohammed, speaking before a Joint Select Committee (JSC) of Parliament, said records from the Police Service show there were more persons of African descent in leadership positions, as opposed to their East Indian colleagues.

He said the PSC, with the help of the Parliament, intended to change such since there must be an ethnic balance within the service to ensure equality of treatment.

"Happily, when you look at the figures, you see at the superintendent level, you have 21 of African origin and ten of East Indian origin and since within recent times, we have been emphasising the question of meritocracy as opposed to seniority, and Monday coming, superintendents should be writing their exams.

"The better ones may move to senior superintendents and you may have a better mixture," Mohammed told the JSC.

Meanwhile, several First Division officers, who are expected to write assessment examinations from tomorrow, have expressed serious concerns about possible attempts to influence and manipulate the process in light of Mohammed's statements.

Yesterday, more than a dozen of these senior officers contacted the Sunday Express, saying they had "grave concerns" over Mohammed's statements and they felt threatened by them.

The officers, of African descent, said the statements give the impression that Mohammed may attempt to influence the process in ensuring that persons of East Indian origin score high points in the exams and are promoted in front of their African colleagues, based not on meritocracy, but on ethnicity.

"Promotions are not based on race, colour, creed or seniority, but on whether you're up to the task and on merit, and that's the end of the discussion.

"I don't know where he came up with that idea, but it is unbecoming of the head of the PSC to make such statements, especially when it appeared that it would have been previously discussed by other members of his team, who do not agree with him," a Snr Supt, who asked not to be identified, told the Sunday Express.

In a telephone interview, Commissioner Gibbs said of this week's exams:

"I just want to assure the members that it's a fair and equitable process. There hasn't been any biasness built into the exam process. It has been developed by an outside organisation that has looked at it very objectively. It really has nothing to do with ethnicity. It really just really has to do with competency and merit."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 08:12:47 AM »
Maybe Nizam could put Reshmi as a Deputy Commissioner, ah hear she have qualifications.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
Maybe Nizam could put Reshmi as a Deputy Commissioner, ah hear she have qualifications.

He never say enough qualified indians in d service he just say indians so Reshmi meet d main criteria.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
If people could  just let the 'jump and wave' and party mentality shake loose fuh awhile, they may recall the country was in a similar turmoil  during the Panday regime. Once more the issues of equity, gets confused with equality base on ethnicity. Representation is now equated with the political will and those in political power.

I was strongly against such practices when  the previous P.M. in his first term  appointed his wife as education minister. On her own merits, fine but given the positional authority and family relations the optics of such was apolitical disaster.

I recalled some individuals applying for entry to Canada on claims of racial hatred, disenfranchisement, and discrimination. These same folks were not saying that under the regime of Panday.

Our nation is not  one with disproportionate  tribal elders or statesmen, yet the direction and sentiments of a few Nizam being one and  long time we have not heard from Dookern, but there are vipers in the grass reveling in these divisive and utterly destructive elements aimed at  keeping a unified TNT from moving forward.

As a nation, and given our  demographics, political leadership  ought not  to be in the hands of an privileged few based on ethnicity. That  should be an accepted reality; therefore it ought to matter little what the leader's ethnicity is rather the focus ought to be on a fair and equitable dispersal of service to the public that meets the needs of all its citizens.

How could we trust parties that emanated from parties that had fundamental corrosive and racially biased agendas to bear forth fruits that would be different from what was at the root of the founders of these parties?

I was deeply moved and encouraged by the acceptance speech of our P.M. and I  still think that  in her heart she means well but  some of her appointed ministers continue to  run a mock with their speeches and actions; like wayward boys defiant of their leaders. Some needs to be reprimanded or there ought to be an ETHICS commission that disciplines and safeguard the integrity, and ethics of  public office.
In my humble opinion.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2011, 03:15:57 PM »
If people could  just let the 'jump and wave' and party mentality shake loose fuh awhile, they may recall the country was in a similar turmoil  during the Panday regime. Once more the issues of equity, gets confused with equality base on ethnicity. Representation is now equated with the political will and those in political power.

I was strongly against such practices when  the previous P.M. in his first term  appointed his wife as education minister. On her own merits, fine but given the positional authority and family relations the optics of such was apolitical disaster.

I recalled some individuals applying for entry to Canada on claims of racial hatred, disenfranchisement, and discrimination. These same folks were not saying that under the regime of Panday.

Our nation is not  one with disproportionate  tribal elders or statesmen, yet the direction and sentiments of a few Nizam being one and  long time we have not heard from Dookern, but there are vipers in the grass reveling in these divisive and utterly destructive elements aimed at  keeping a unified TNT from moving forward.

As a nation, and given our  demographics, political leadership  ought not  to be in the hands of an privileged few based on ethnicity. That  should be an accepted reality; therefore it ought to matter little what the leader's ethnicity is rather the focus ought to be on a fair and equitable dispersal of service to the public that meets the needs of all its citizens.

How could we trust parties that emanated from parties that had fundamental corrosive and racially biased agendas to bear forth fruits that would be different from what was at the root of the founders of these parties?

I was deeply moved and encouraged by the acceptance speech of our P.M. and I  still think that  in her heart she means well but  some of her appointed ministers continue to  run a mock with their speeches and actions; like wayward boys defiant of their leaders. Some needs to be reprimanded or there ought to be an ETHICS commission that disciplines and safeguard the integrity, and ethics of  public office.
In my humble opinion.

It obvious dey eh remember because dey give dem 29 seats.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
Well guys, whether we like it or not the changes in the Public Service is going to come. But I wonder if it will happen to the other professions or sports team.

Let's see how this plays out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »
Well guys, whether we like it or not the changes in the Public Service is going to come. But I wonder if it will happen to the other professions or sports team.

Let's see how this plays out.

It has strted 2 some degree already.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
Statements border on sedition—Ramesh
Published: Mon, 2011-03-28
Asha Javeed

Former Attorney General Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj yesterday slammed the silence of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on the inflammatory comments of chairman of the Police Service Commission Nizam Mohammed, even as he has described those statements as “extremely provocative,” “offensive” and “border on sedition.” Mohammed said on Friday that there were not enough East Indians in the upper echelons of the Police Service. “These statements, to a person like me of East Indian descent, are offensive and I am sure would be regarded as offensive to all right thinking persons of T&T, regardless of their ethnic origin,” he said in a release yesterday.

Mohammed’s statements, he said, represented an agenda that future appointments and promotions of the Police Service Commission would be based on ethnicity and ethnic disposition and not on merit.
Futhermore, Maharaj condemned Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s “deafening silence” and her “inaction on these dangerous statements which impact adversely on racial harmony and national unity.” “I am surprised that the Prime Minister has not taken immediate action as political head of the Government to publicly call for the removal of Mr Nizam Mohammed as chairman of the Police Service Commission,” he said.

Maharaj said it was the Prime Minister’s duty to seek an audience with President George Maxwell Richards, with a request to revoke Mohammed’s appointment under Section 126 (4) of the constitution.
“The neglect and or omission of the Prime Minister to have acted on this matter since last Friday may give the impression that the statements made by the chairman of the Police Service Commission reflect the present agenda of her Government,” he said. He called on Persad-Bissessar to account to the country on her Government’s intention with regard to “bodies in Trinidad and Tobago which do not have an “ethnic balance.”

The Prime Minister, said Maharaj, had a duty to recognise that continued inaction on her part as Prime Minister to “correct the political evils which have occurred under her administration in the last ten months would continue to damage and destroy the future of our country.” He noted that in countries such as Guyana, Fiji and some African nations, when such similar statements were made by people in public offices, national unity was obstructed. Maharaj sent a copy of his release to the Prime Minister and the President.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
COP calls for resignation
By Rickie Ramdass rickie.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Mar 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Mar 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM ECT )

THE Congress of the People (COP) has called for the resignation of Nizam Mohammed as chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC), saying there could be a rise in racial tension among citizens as a result of a statement he made before a Joint Select Committee last Friday.

Chairman of the political party Joseph Toney yesterday described Mohammed's statement that there were too many police officers of African ethnicity in the executive of the Police Service as "grievously unfortunate".

Toney, who was in attendance at a Spiritual Shouter Baptist Liberation Day function at Chinapoo Village, Morvant, said the COP was strongly opposed to the approach taken by Mohammed "to resolve issues in the Police Service".

"It is going to cause racial tensions to rise in the country and this is what we of the People's Partnership are trying our best to get off of the political scene.

"We cannot be having a head count. And where will it stop? Are you going now to the medical profession, the law profession, dentistry, the car parts industry? Where are you going to stop?

"This is nonsense. It has to stop or else we would be very very divided as a nation and we would not progress as a nation."

Toney said from his understanding, the duty of the PSC was to monitor the Police Commissioner, his deputies and the Police Service as a whole to ensure they carry out their mandate but Mohammed, by making such a statement, was not carrying out that task.

"Has the chairman given any indication that by his approach of this racial head count that he is going about that task? I think the answer to that is a resounding 'no'. And this is what I am saying, maybe in all the circumstances we should all come to the conclusion that Mr Mohammed has lost so much credibility now as chairman of the Police Service Commission that it may be time for him to look at other job opportunities for himself," Toney said.

He added that with such a "racial head-counting" approach in any institution, it would only leave room for "danger, disaster and very very muddy waters".

He said it was his belief that an apology from Mohammed would do little or nothing to soothe the "anxiety and nerves" of citizens because of the statement made.

"I think he should go further... His executive members are already saying that they do not agree with that approach. I think that Mr Mohammed may want to look at his options and may want to consider whether indeed he is the most suitable person to be the chairman of the Police Service Commission," Toney said.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
Jack slams Nizam: I would have resigned
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

NOT ONLY has the controversial comments of Nizam Mohammed, chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC), triggered outrage and condemnation, they have offended and hurt Government Minister Jack Warner.

Warner told the Express yesterday that Mohammed's statement will negatively affect the Government and if he (Warner) was in his shoes, he would resign immediately.

"I am very disappointed in him, I know the guy well, I'm disappointed in him. He has done a disservice to the Government and to the party by his conduct. I expect that my colleagues will deal with this matter but this hasn't done us very well at all as a government," Warner said.

Last Friday, Mohammed, at the Parliament's Joint Select Committee (JSC) meeting said records from the Police Service show there were more people of African ethnicity in leadership positions, as opposed to their East Indian colleagues.

He went further to say that the PSC, with the help of the Parliament, intended to change such since there must be an "ethnic balance" within the service to ensure equality of treatment.

Said Warner: "I would have thought that a man of his stature would have been more circumspect. If I were in his position and I had done that, I would have resigned."

"I feel offended because if you look at the history of the Police Service, you would understand that even in the old days when you couldn't get people to work in the police service, we had to go to Barbados to get police officers to work here because nobody wanted to work in the Police Service and therefore what we have now evolved over time," Warner added.

Warner, a former SRP, said if he were still in the Police Service, he would be very offended.

The calls for Mohammed to be removed continued to pour in yesterday and Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley said he intends to write to President George Maxwell Richards a second time regarding the Nizam Mohammed issue.

Rowley had written to Richards last week asking for Mohammed's removal following a traffic incident where he used his office to wiggle his way out of a traffic offence.

Rowley said the situation has worsened.

Richards, he said, has agreed to meet with him sometime this week and he also intends to raise the issue as a matter of serious concern.

The President, said Rowley, cannot sit idly by and allow a chairman of a commission to bring the country into instability.

Former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj also expressed his concern over Mohammed's comments and questioned why was Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar silent on the matter.

"These statements, to a person like me of East Indian descent, is offensive and I am sure will be regarded as offensive to all right-thinking persons of Trinidad and Tobago, regardless of their ethnic origin" said Maharaj.

He added the statements border on sedition and obstruct national unity.

"The Prime Minister has a duty to the country to have done that and she ought to have immediately sought an audience with the President of the country to request him to immediately remove Mr Nizam Mohammed from the office of chairman of the Police Service Commission," said Maharaj.

"The neglect or omission of the Prime Minister to have acted on this matter since last Friday may give the impression that the statements made by the chairman of the Police Service Commission reflect the present agenda of her Government," he said.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2011, 06:23:49 AM »

1. Nizam was controversial political appointee in the first place .
2. He get ketch abusing his power to wiggle out of a traffic ticket
3. Police wage negotiations still going on.

Nizam forget all them tings when he take that gun with a scope and laser aim at he foot and fire.

Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj is right in saying the Prime Minister needs to make a statement. But Jack said his piece already so I guess everything cool. 

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »
Alyuh eh relize Nizam giving alyuh the finger in a smart way watch the picture again .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
Alyuh eh relize Nizam giving alyuh the finger in a smart way watch the picture again .

I was goin and ask dat dis mornin self.....either way, he is a piece ah work oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »

I was goin and ask dat dis mornin self.....either way, he is a piece ah work oui

It was a hot debate on d express blogs whether he give d country d finger.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »

Police Execs: Nizam’s comments ‘insipid at best’
By Lara Pickford-Gordon Monday, March 28 2011
http://newsday.co.tt/news/0,137916.html

Members of the police executive and first division officers were yesterday unanimous in their condemnation of statements made by head of the Police Service Commission Nizam Mohammed.

At a media briefing held at the Police Administration Building, Assistant Commissioner Fitzroy Fredericks of the police executive called for Mohammed to be removed as head of the PSC and for the President of the Police Social and Welfare Association (PSWA) Anand Ramesar to resign.

“The President should revoke the appointment of Mr Mohammed so there could be some peace and tranquillity,” Fredericks said. He believed Mohammed was deliberately attempting to frustrate efforts and create divisions within the police service and by extension the national community. Mohammed was appointed to head the JSC in July last year.

“He seems to have his own agenda in terms of what he wants. The police service has a lot of issues we thought he would have identified those issues before the Joint Select Committee to make us a much more professional organisation,” Fredericks said.

He described Mohammed’s statements as “insipid at best.”

“We thought it to be reckless, narrow and parochial and really designed to make this country and if I may use his (Mohammed’s) words designed to make this country ungovernable,” he added. Mohammed had said advertisements by the group Fixing TT which is lobbying for his removal at PSC Chairman were designed to make the country ungovernable. Commenting on the question of the racial composition of the police service, Fredericks said there have been calls in the past for balance in the recruitment in the police service.

He did not know where this came from but said there was a historical context to the current scenario. According to Fredericks, in the past, persons of East Indian decent did not join the police service but “gravitated” to other professions.

“As we become more urbanised, the police service has become a career and place for decent employment we have found when you look at the composition the service reflects the ethnic composition of TT,” he said.

He said up to 1971 the only female of East Indian decent in the police Service was Marjorie Beepatsingh and several women have been recruited over the years and were doing a good job. Fredericks said persons of Chinese decent and Caucasians have not “in any significant way” joined the police service.

“We find the statement is really seeking to divide our community and really put us in the kind of light that would not lend to a professional approach,” he said.

He disclosed at a meeting in January with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan raised the issue of the racial composition of the police service.

“We were really bludgeoned with such a request that the police service does not represent the ethnic composition. We don’t know where these things are coming from. I don’t know if it’s a mirage they are facing somewhere,” Fredericks said. He said the exam process was transparent and administered by an independent body—Penn State University. Fredericks said Mohammed was “a little ingenious” in stating promotions were based on seniority not meritocracy. As head of the PSC, Mohammed should be aware of amendments to the Police Service Act in 2006 and section 123 of the Constitution which gave the Police Commissioner responsibility for recruitment and promotion in the police service.

Fredericks said Ramesar was “playing games” with his letter on the composition of the Promotion Advisory Board of the police service not reflecting the racial balance of the country.

“Such statements are inimical to the interest of members of the police service and we are calling for resignation of Mr Ramesar and his entire executive,” Fredericks said.

There is a representative of the First Division on the PSWA and Fredericks asked if they allowed Ramesar to write the letter. The First Division Officers Association representative Ag Senior Sup Harold Cumberbatch said the association was dissatisified and unhappy with recent statements from Mohammed that there were too many persons of African descent in the police service and distanced itself from the remarks.

“We will not support it or anything that goes with it,” Cumberbatch said.

Former Attorney General Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj said as someone of East Indian decent he found Mohammed’s statements offensive and would be “offensive to all right thinking persons of TT regardless of their ethnic origin.”

Well look ting nah .

see this thread for further reference.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Fack Dat, Lets move on :beermug:
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »
Comments can spark healthy debate
By Nikita Braxton-Benjamin South Bureau

Story Created: Mar 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Comments_can_spark_healthy_debate-118752254.html

HOUSING and Environment Minister Roodal Moonilal yesterday said the controversial comments by Police Service Commission (PSC) chairman Nizam Mohammed were part of a legitimate issue which could be placed on the front burner to bring about healthy debate.

Last Friday, Mohammed compared the number of people of East Indian and African ethnicity and said there was an imbalance, with too many police officers of the latter denomination in top posts of the Police Service.

Speaking during a tour of Mohess Road, Penal, yesterday, Moonilal said while the PSC was an independent institution under the constitution and as a principle of law the Government could not get involved in the business of any service commission, he had noted Mohammed's comment.

Moonilal said the topic could bring about discussion on diversity and development. "These are interesting and important developmental challenges to all plural societies. I think without being emotional and without being hysterical and so on, it is a legitimate development issue that is on the agenda," Moonilal said.

He said the issue was not a new one, as it had been around since the country gained independence, but it may be "a timely opportunity now to reflect on it. Whether it is the Police Service or it is any other service or any other institution in the State, I think there are legitimate issues there and we should reflect on them, but we should reflect in a mature and dispassionate manner".

Moonilal said all developed countries had gained that status because they had confronted this issue of diversity and development.

Moonilal promised residents of Mohess Road that their sporting facilities, including the pavilion, would be improved.

I want the Minister's clarification about the forum for this debate. Does he mean on the talk shows , the internet and rum shops or somewhere else. I say so because Prime Minister is yet to make a statement. Remember the Chairman made this statement :

"Fifty percent of this country are people of East Indian origin and you are asking them to support the Police Service. They have to provide the Police Service with information.

"They have to feel protected by the Police Service and when they see the hierarchy of the Police Service is as imbalanced as is reflected in these figures, and the chairman of the commission intends to tackle these things, you understand why the guns are being aimed at me. But I have a job to do and this is what I intend to do. I intend to address this with the help of the Parliament of Trinidad and Tobago. We need the protection."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:00:54 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2011, 02:29:52 PM »
I was waiting for dis point.

Question: How many recruits are of East Indian descent? Anybody have an idea?

Cuz my thinking is.......if they doh enter the service......how dey go move up the ranks?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>