April 30, 2024, 10:24:36 AM

Author Topic: La Liga Season - 2010/2011  (Read 61558 times)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: La Liga Season - 2010/2011
« Reply #270 on: February 21, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »

PS:  Need Puyol back as well, central def IMO just ins't the same w/o the skipper, engine of the team if you ask me, followed by Xavi and Messi

Leadership.  That's it right there.  Since he went out injured there performances have slipped.  He's not technically the best baller out there, but his style of play screams leadership... and it's clear as day that they are missing him. 

Sense, not to mention he culd cut yuh ass when yuh reach de dressin room at HT/FT
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 22, 2011, 08:37:50 AM »

Leadership.  That's it right there.  Since he went out injured there performances have slipped.  He's not technically the best baller out there, but his style of play screams leadership... and it's clear as day that they are missing him. 

El capitán would be back to deal with Arsenal.

Més que un club.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 23, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
They were the greatest team of schoolboys that Barcelona had ever produced. It included the incomparable Leo Messi but also Cesc Fabregas and Gerard Pique, now three of the best and most-decorated players in the world.
Little surprise that even though they played against teams a year older, they won most of their games by huge margins as well as all the tournaments they entered.

HOW THEY COMPARE OVER THE LAST THREE SEASONS

LIONEL MESSI
Games: 115
Goals: 104 - A goal every 91 minutes
Dribbles: 874
Shots: 384 - 65% on target
Tackles: 102 - 80% won
Passes: 5,810 - 86% accurate
Assists: 42

CESC FABREGAS
Games: 87
Goals: 28 - A goal every 258 minutes
Dribbles: 200
Shots: 171 - 54% on target
Tackles: 182 - 75% won
Passes: 6,026- 80% accurate
Assists: 39

At Barcelona there is huge pride in that talented generation but also a chilling realisation that they might have lost all three of those star players.
And on Wednesday night, when Arsenal take on Barcelona in the last 16 of the Champions League, there will be sadness that one of the trio will be appearing for the opposition.
Carles Rexach is perhaps the most authoritative person to speak about FC Barcelona. On five occasions he has stepped in to manage the side but he was also a fine player in the team of the early 70s that included Johan Cruyff.
He was then assistant to Cruyff when the Dutchman managed the so-called Dream Team to the club's first European Cup win in 1992.

Dream team: Johan Cruyff (left) and Carles Rexach (right) guided Barcelona to the 1992 European Cup
But it was in his role as technical director just over 10 years ago that Rexach perhaps made his greatest contribution in helping to create this current Barcelona team, as the man who signed Messi.
And yet, he was also at the club when another of their greatest hopes chose to leave for Arsenal. 'The reality is that Cesc left Barcelona because he wanted to,' he recalls.
'This is what hurt people, that he said: "I'm the one who wants to leave". If he had stayed here he probably would have won more. But it was the same with Pique. He went to England to Manchester United and he didn't play well there, so we could buy him back quite cheap. Barca players never really want to leave but at that time the coaches weren't picking players from the Barca B and they feared there wouldn't be opportunities.
'Whenever it was Cruyff and me, we tried to bring in the youngsters, like Pep Guardiola, and give them a chance. The problem was other trainers came - the Dutch ones [Louis van Gaal and Frank Rijkaard] - who brought other Dutch players or players from outside Barca.
'Even Rijkaard didn't really recognise the full potential of Messi at first. Only when he played Messi in the Joan Gamper Cup, a preseason friendly, against AC Milan, did he begin to realise and started playing him with Eto'o and Ronaldinho.'

Back in 2003, when Fabregas was making a defining choice in the run-up to his 16th birthday, that was a fact of which Arsenal were able to make great play.
Arsenal's Spanish scout, Frannie Cagigao, had spotted Fabregas and when the player was watched it was obvious within minutes that he was exceptional.
It was then impressed on Fabregas that his development might be slowed at Barca, whereas at Arsenal he would be thrust into the first team by Arsene Wenger.
Guardiola, the current Barca coach, says Fabregas should not be blamed for his decision.
'I don't think you can say that he would have been a better player if he had stayed here,' adds Guardiola. 'He has turned into a very good player at Arsenal.'
The bond between Guardiola and Fabregas runs deep.
When Fabregas was struggling in his early teens following the separation of his parents, his youth-team coach Rodolfo Borrell, recognising the emotional impact it had on the club's protégé, arranged a gift to improve his mood.
It was a shirt signed by Guardiola, then the Barca captain.
On it, Guardiola had written: 'One day you will be the Barca No. 4!'
Last summer, Guardiola tried to achieve just that, making Fabregas the subject of a £30million bid.
Since then, joining this Barca team has been a clear objective for Fabregas.
Yet, Fabregas remains frustrated.
Although his feats with Spain's national team are exemplary, with World Cup and European Championship wins in a team populated by Barca players, at club level he has won just the FA Cup in 2005.
In the same period, Messi, the timid Argentinian boy he once befriended as a 13-year-old at the club's youth academy, has won the Champions League, four La Liga titles, the Copa del Rey and the World Club Cup.
And though Fabregas is widely expected to join Barca this summer, with Chelsea and Real Madrid now also showing interest, a homecoming may prove problematic, according to Rexach.
'It will be difficult to bring Cesc back now,' says Rexach, 64. 'Firstly, because of the money it would cost, but also because Barca have young players coming through in that position who are very good and we have to look at that, too.
'It would be different if there was no-one else in that position, then they would have to pay the money to get him. But there are others coming through in the team.
'There are already three good players in our midfield [Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets] and another three in Seydou Keita, Ibrahim Afellay and Javier Mascherano. Then there are younger ones coming up from the reserves. You need to look at what you have, what it will cost to get something else and what you will need to replace in a few years.'
Rexach can at least content himself that he did secure the signature of the player widely recognised as the world's greatest, though even that was fraught with difficulties, for while Arsenal were scouting Fabregas, they were inevitably drawn to his prodigious team-mate.
Arsenal had investigated the possibility of a double deal but the 15-year-old Messi had only an Argentinian passport and under both FIFA and British immigration rules it would have been impossible to bring him to England.
Nevertheless, Messi almost slipped through Barca's net. He had been brought to Catalonia in the autumn of 2000 by his father, Jorge, largely in desperation.

Messi, who suffered from a growth deficiency, stood a mere 4ft 5in at age 13 when his local club Newell's Old Boys, in his home town of Rosario, and the Buenos Aires giants of River Plate rejected him as not worth the cost of the growth hormone implants he required.
After two weeks of trials, Barcelona looked as though they might reach the same conclusion.
'My responsibilities were more to the first team at that time so I hadn't seen him play,' says Rexach.
'After the two weeks of trials, I asked people who had watched him but they all had different opinions: some said he dribbled too much, others that he was too small.
'His father was getting annoyed and threatened to go back to Argentina. I said: "No, wait another day and I'll organise a game. And I'll decide yes or no". But when I set up the game I was a bit sneaky because I made him play with ones that were a year above him.
'I was a little late for the trial and the match had started. I walked into the training ground, down the touchline and along the goal-line, walking and watching. By the time I had reached the bench on the other side, I said: "Sign him up now". For me it was very clear. He was a genius, I was sure. What Messi knew, you can't teach. It's instinctive. And I always think this moment was my greatest success.

'Some of my colleagues said: "Why should we take him on now when he's only 12 because in seven or eight years, whenever he's playing, we might no longer be here". I had to be a pain in the neck to get the technical staff to agree. No-one else was that sure. The problem was that he was coming from abroad so young. But I insisted.'
Despite Rexach having made his decision, Messi's father became frustrated at Barcelona's delay in drawing up a contract.
To end the uncertainty, one of the most important deals in Barca's history was clinched - on a paper napkin.
Rexach explains: 'After the trial, I told his father, Jorge, that we would definitely sign him and to go to the club and get them to do the contract. But every day he went, they told him to come back the next day or in two days.
'His dad was getting angry, saying: "Stop messing us about". We met in a restaurant at the tennis club at Pompeia on Montjuic [the hill that overlooks Barcelona] so I looked for some paper to write a contract, to calm him down.
'There wasn't any, so I got the napkin and wrote there that, as technical secretary, I would guarantee that we sign him. I just did it to keep the dad happy and I signed it, as did his father and an agent, Josep Maria Minguella.

'I always assumed that the napkin was torn up later when they signed the official contract. But then I discovered that they kept it in an album and now it's famous.'
For Rexach, who had won every trophy possible in his various roles at the club - La Liga, Copa del Rey, European Cup, UEFA Cup, Cup-winners' Cup - and who was the Spanish league's top scorer in 1971, this became his seminal moment.
'I played for the club, was coach, was an assistant, was technical director but now I'm nearly better known for signing Messi than for what I achieved myself,' he says.
As someone who has witnessed more than 60 great years at the club - watching, playing with, coaching or managing the likes of Laszlo Kubala, Cruyff, Diego Maradona, Romario, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, he remains the definitive judge of the modern era.
While he does not think this is necessarily the greatest team that Barca have ever produced - 'It's easier now for them to win more often because La Liga is just down to Barca or Real Madrid, whereas in my day there was Valencia and Atletico Madrid' - regarding one player he is unequivocal.
'I believe that Messi changed the era for Barca. He's taken the team to a different level. In the past, there were Barca teams with good players but they were inconsistent, so when we came up against the big teams like Liverpool in the top European competitions we didn't always win.'
And at a club whose cast list of former players includes several who are recognised among the world's greatest, could we be witnessing the greatest Barcelona player?
The man who signed him does not hesitate in his response.
'If he continues like this then, yes, he will be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1356378/It-hurt-Barcelona-Cesc-Fabregas-chose-to-Arsenal--big-winner-Lionel-Messi.html

Més que un club.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
Let fabregas stay right where he is.  me eh like he at all.  He talented....but he's a rel lil' bish on de field.  Leh arsenal keep 'im!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

giggsy11

« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
Lord that keeper for Deportes la Coruna making some to keep Madrid of the board! Spiderman on display;sweet to watch! Benzama  :banginghead:!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
....and BOTH Barcelona teams won big today!  :wavetowel:

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2011, 04:40:25 PM »
As we think about Messi and how much he has already achieved we can miss some minor achievements along the way...like how much barcelona depends on him to score goals ..

....he has double the number of the next highest scorer on the team David Villa who has scored 21

....that not only is he the team and league leading scorer but that he has scored more goals than 16 of the 19 la liga teams . That only Barcelona( his team ) / Real Madrid and Villareal have scored more than his tally of 42( though only la liga stats are quoted in the case of the teams )

I still say real madrid would win the league easily if they had Messi ...and even without  C Ronaldo !!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2011, 07:52:42 AM »
RCD Mallorca 0-3 FC Barcelona
0-1 : Messi 38'
0-2 : Villa 57'
0-3 : Pedro 66'

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ceWXJH2e9ac" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ceWXJH2e9ac</a>

Més que un club.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2011, 08:01:08 AM »
...just as I was thinkin' it, the commentator come and said it.  I thought Messi couldn't head the ball?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »
...just as I was thinkin' it, the commentator come and said it.  I thought Messi couldn't head the ball?

Més que un club.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2011, 09:09:26 AM »
Valencia CF v FC Barcelona
02 Mar 2011 - Estadio Mestalla

This Season:
Barcelona - Camp Nou
FC Barcelona 2-1 Valencia CF

A potential banana skin before the Arsenal game next Tue. No Guardiola who is out due to chronic back pain. Also Villa's first return to the Mestalla since joining Barca last may.

Team News

Valencia CF

Midfielder Mehmet Topal who usually plays as the pair to Banega and striker Aritz Aduriz will be missing the game due to suspension as will right back Bruno. Additionally, both Miguel and Chori Domínguez are facing a self-imposed suspension by the team for the match. Expect Valencia playing a 4-5-1 counter attacking possession football from Unai Emery’s side. Unbeaten for three months, Valencia will try their best to keep their record intact.

Predicted Starting XI: Guaita – Ricardo Costa – Navarro – Stankevicius - Mathieu – Ever Banega – Alberto Costa – Pablo – Joaquin – Mata – Soldado

FC Barcelona

Still missing Puyol and Valdes through injury, Xavi and Dani Alves will be back to action today. The marauding right back already put a word about signing a new contract, and today’s match might as well be the best time for him to give a great performance to entice the Barcelona board to a better, final contract offer. Barcelona will play as usual, although Xavi may not be playing for full 90 minutes.

Predicted Starting XI: Pinto-Abidal-Pique-Maxwell-Dani Alves-Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta-Pedro-Villa-Messi.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tn9qmnRt0fc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Tn9qmnRt0fc</a>

Més que un club.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2011, 01:53:48 PM »

Aaaaah, Disgruntled.....yuh is a man after meh own heart!!  (unless ah bein' too obvious wit meh facetiousness.)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »
So Valencia get tief today.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
  How Valencia get tief?  Ah miss de game.....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »

All I saw was the first 30 mins or so.  Valencia had a goal ruled out becuz the man arm was offside.

giggsy11

« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »

All I saw was the first 30 mins or so.  Valencia had a goal ruled out becuz the man arm was offside.

I think he may be referring to the goal that was disallowed because dey called it offsides. What wrong with Valdez, he injured?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »

I think he may be referring to the goal that was disallowed because dey called it offsides. What wrong with Valdez, he injured?

Yes
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »

Yes

Yeah....arsenal try to mashup my 'keeper.  >:(  Dey go pay fuh dat!

giggsy11

« Reply #288 on: March 05, 2011, 09:07:54 PM »
Good read. Arsenal not even close in their philosophy or personnel. I wonder which managers Latapy sought counsel with?

Pep Guardiola the purist and pragmatist oiling Barcelona's machine
The Catalan manager would have supporters believe he has little bearing on Barcelona's brilliance. Don't believe a word of it.   

Sid Lowe The Observer, Sunday 6 March 2011

Tuesday afternoon in Sant Joan Despí and there is bad news. A back injury looks like leaving Barcelona a man short when they travel to the Mestalla to face third-placed Valencia. But this time it's not Xavi who is missing; the midfielder is instead returning from injury. Nor is it Leo Messi or David Villa. It is Pep Guardiola, the coach. He is suffering with back pain and is not sure if he is going to make it.

When Guardiola's injury is conveyed to Valencia's manager, Unai Emery, he laughs. "Can't it be Messi with the bad back?" he says. Emery is joking.

A chess and strategy fanatic, a man who can enthuse for hours on tactics and an admirer of Guardiola, Emery knows how important his opposite number is. But there is something in what he says – and not just because any coach would prefer to face Barça without Messi. As if to prove the point, Messi it was who scored the winner – and it was Messi again who set up Seydou Keita's tap-in in Barça's 1-0 win over Real Zaragoza last night.
In the end, Guardiola travelled. But he sat, awkwardly, rigid. Afterwards, he was admitted to hospital and a scan revealed a slipped disc. He could see the Camp Nou from his hospital bed but could not get there: it is not yet clear he will be there against Arsenal on Tuesday night or lead preparatory sessions.
 Many will ask the same question asked before the trip to Valencia. So what? It makes little difference, right? Wrong.
The impression has been fostered by Guardiola himself. Every time he is asked the secret of success he responds: "The players are very good." When Messi scored a wonderful goal at Real Zaragoza, he turned to a fan and said: "If it wasn't for Messi, I'd be coaching in the third division." Nothing to do with me, mate.
He is fooling no one. Guardiola's contribution is huge and has been recognised. He is lauded in Catalonia; "the legend is starting to be Guardiola himself," noted El País.

A sports newspaper in Madrid tried to poke fun at his supposed perfection by sending his reporter to ask him a leading question. The question got exactly the desired response. "Maybe it's true," Guardiola replied, "maybe I do piss perfume."

But if Guardiola is given the credit for his work at Barcelona, there remain misconceptions that come with Barcelona's style; assumptions. Yes, they work hard now: "We had let ourselves go," Rafa Márquez said. But the way they play, well that's simple, natural. Autóctono, the product of 20 years' commitment to a footballing ideal, traceable to Johan Cruyff. Guardiola, captain under the Dutchman, said it: "This team will respect a philosophy," and one friend describes him as having "suckled from the teat of Cruyff". Xavi talks about the rondo – piggy in the middle – as the cornerstone of everything.

Which it is. But that makes it sound too simple, too unwavering. There has been much talk about how Arsenal will play Barcelona, but not very much about how Barcelona will play Arsenal. Well, the answer goes, like they always do.
Yes. But no. Under Frank Rijkaard, one insider claims, the exaggeration serving to make the point: "Barcelona found out who was in the team on the morning of the game." Guardiola could hardly be more different. Even as a player he was a coach, a thinker, a talker. "A talker?" says Fernando Hierro, the former Real Madrid captain, laughing. "He pretty much commentated the matches."
When he was offered the job in 2008, Guardiola asked his assistant, Tito Vilanova, if they were really ready. "Well," came the reply, "you certainly are." Charly Rexach, Cruyff's assistant, recalls that Guardiola was "the man we explained the tactical variations to. If we needed them, he implemented them." He had learnt too in Italy and in Mexico with Juanma Lillo, who coached in La Liga before he was 30. Guardiola had embarked upon a kind of pilgrimage – to meet Marcelo Bielsa, who has coached Argentina and until last month Chile, and the former's 1978 World Cup-winning coach, César Luis Menotti. The conversations lasted well into the night.

What some would describe as principle he believes is pragmatism. Guardiola designs his approach around the ball. Not because he is a puritan, although he is, but because like any other coach he wants control. Like any other coach, he is fearful and seeks to protect his team. It is just that his way of achieving control is different: defending well means attacking well. He will look at Arsenal and wonder how to protect himself from them, by trying to work out how best to do them damage.
"We play in the other team's half as much as possible because I get worried when the ball is in my half," he says. "We're a horrible team without the ball so I want us to get it back as soon as possible and I'd rather give away fouls and the ball in their half than ours." The stats bear that out: Dani Alves makes the fourth highest number of touches in the opposition half in La Liga. He is a full-back. Typically, only the two centre-backs and the goalkeeper spend more than 50% of the game in their own half.

Then there is possession: the top nine passers in La Liga are all Barcelona players. But that is not just an attacking option, it is a defensive one too. "There is no rule like in basketball that says you have to hand over possession or shoot after a certain amount of time, so 'attack' and 'defence' don't exist," Lillo says. Not in Barcelona's model. Barcelona attack to defend; when they lost to Arsenal, Guardiola was angry with Alves not for attacking too much but for attacking badly. That Barcelona lost because they were caught up the pitch is one reading; Guardiola's reading is that had they scored they would not have been caught on the break.
"Barcelona are the only team that defend with the ball; the only team that rests in possession," Lillo says. "They keep the ball so  well, they move so collectively, that when you do get it back, you're tired, out of position and they're right on top of you." Lillo knows: his Almería side were defeated 8-0 by Barcelona.
Michael Laudrup, the Mallorca coach, said: "They move the ball so fast that by the time you get there, it's gone. You end up desperate, and shattered." As Rexach notes, Barcelona even waste time with possession.

Most teams would go down to the corner; Barcelona would rather keep the ball between themselves.
In order to achieve that dominance, technical ability is fundamental, as is the pressure that is the coach's greatest obsession. But so is positioning. Barça's game is all about creating numerical superiority, opening up angles of passes. "We do a lot of positional work," Vilanova says. "That gives you options and prevents you from making unnecessary effort." Running, as Rexach famously put it, "is for cowards". "At Sevilla, you had to go looking for the ball," Keita says. "Here, it arrives at your feet."

Yet those fundamental lessons do not mean a lack of flexibility or invention. Nor does the faith in their identity mean ignoring the other team. Guardiola was accused by some of being tactically out-thought by José Mourinho last season or by Wenger at the Emirates. If so, it was not for lack of thought. Guardiola is every bit as obsessive a coach as, say, Rafa Benítez. "You wouldn't think so," Barça's reserve goalkeeper, Pinto, says, "but Guardiola controls every little detail." "Every decision is made according to the opposition," says one of Guardiola's collaborators. "Every one."

Messi's withdrawn role was initially employed – in 2009 – to confuse Real Madrid. Barcelona won that Clásico 6-2, Christoph Metzelder saying: "Centre-backs hate being dragged away from that position and we just didn't know whether to follow him out." As one of the staff puts it graphically: "With no No9 you leave the centre-backs to kick each other." Messi has now made that role permanent but not entirely inflexible. The reason is partly tactical, partly a response to the Argentinian's own desire. A different solution with Zlatan Ibrahimovic was aborted because of personal problems.

That means no Plan B – if by Plan B you mean a Big Man. But there are nuances and variations: plans C, D, and E. Besides, seeing tactical awareness only in terms of changing a game in course is a red herring; Guardiola would rather change the course of the game first; a successful coach ends up looking like a less interventionist coach. Against Athletic, he made his players receive on their own byline, four of them lined up around the area to receive from the keeper. "We knew they would pressure high and that risked us being dragged into long balls – which they would inevitably win," he said. Every move was 120 yards long. But if that's what has to be, so be it.

Against Valencia last week, there were three centre-backs and two wing backs. Within five minutes, there were also five long, uncharacteristic diagonals. The idea was to force Valencia to think twice about their high pressure. The plan did not entirely work – although Messi had countless chances – and this time Guardiola, suffering with sciatica, did make the change. On came Pedro. Messi got the goal; the assist came from Adriano, the man least expected to be included and the favourite to be removed.

There is a discernible Barcelona philosophy, a style. It is Guardiola's style, one so clear as to appear to suggest rigidity and insularity. The impression is not entirely true. When Guardiola travelled to South America, Menotti encountered a man who "reads, studies, listens and shows an enormous capacity for observation". And the observation is applied to opponents. Guardiola only knows how his team is going to play when he knows how the other team is going to play. Everyone has been asking how Arsenal will play at the Camp Nou this week. And Pep Guardiola is no exception.

giggsy11

« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »
Sevilla v Barca playin now on Goltv

giggsy11

« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
Sevilla come out to play in the second half; game hottin up! Is like they realize that they have talent to!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »
Sevilla FC 1v1 FC Barcelona

1-0: Bojan (30′)
1-1: Navas (49′)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FZwyFfmrns" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9FZwyFfmrns</a>

Més que un club.

giggsy11

« Reply #292 on: March 15, 2011, 05:53:46 PM »
Best wishes! 

Barcelona's Eric Abidal faces surgery for liver tumour

Defender will have operation on Friday
Guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 15 March 2011 21.28 GMT

The Barcelona and France defender Eric Abidal played in his club's 1-1 draw at Sevilla last Sunday. 
The Barcelona defender Eric Abidal will undergo surgery after the club announced he has a liver tumour.
The Primera División club announced the news regarding the 31-year-old French player via their official Twitter feed.
Barcelona said: "A liver tumour has been detected in the player Eric Abidal and he will be treated surgically next Friday.
"Abidal will be operated on by Dr Josep Fuster Obregón. Per the express wish of the player, we call for the utmost respect for the right to privacy."

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 16, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
Injuries starting to pile up at the wrong time. Puyol still hasn't recovered. Hopefully Barca can pull it off against Getafe, the lead has been cut to 5 pts.

After two rather tumultuous days off, Barça resumed training on Wednesday morning to prepare for the game against Getafe. The group working on the pitch of the Ciutat Esportiva consisted of 15 first team players, including Alves and Adriano who worked outside of the group, and three from the B team.

After the draw on Sunday against Sevilla and then two days off, the squad led by Josep Guardiola returned to training on Wednesday in order to start preparing for their next opponents, Getafe on Saturday at Camp Nou.

The session on Wednesday was marked by a number of absences, especially considering five players ended the game on Sunday with various degrees of discomfort – Adriano, Alves, Maxwell, Messi and Pedro. Also absent from the pitch was Puyol, who remains injured, and Abidal, who on Thursday will have surgery to remove a tumour from his liver.

A total of 18 players participated in today’s training session, which took place at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper beginning at 11am. Both Alves and Adriano, the former with a bruised right ankle and the latter with trouble in the soleus muscle of his left leg, worked on the field apart from the group with physiotherapist Emili Ricart to aid their recovery.

As for the other three players carrying knocks, Maxwell, Messi and Pedro, all three players spent the session getting treatment for their individual trouble. Both Maxwell, with discomfort in the right thigh, and Pedro, with a groin injury, are serious doubts for the match with Getafe. Messi, meanwhile, is recovering from a heavy blow to his right knee, and the progression of the injury/recovery will determine his availability for Saturday’s game.

This left 13 first team players working normally on the pitch, along with three from the B team: Montoya, Fontàs and Miño. Under a very cloudy sky but without rain, the team started with the usual warm-up exercises and rounds.

On Tuesday it was announced that a tumour on Eric Abidal’s liver had been detected which will be removed surgically on Thursday. The French defender stopped by the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper before the start of training to see his teammates.

Més que un club.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 16, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »
Injuries starting to pile up at the wrong time. Puyol still hasn't recovered. Hopefully Barca can pull it off against Getafe, the lead has been cut to 5 pts.

After two rather tumultuous days off, Barça resumed training on Wednesday morning to prepare for the game against Getafe. The group working on the pitch of the Ciutat Esportiva consisted of 15 first team players, including Alves and Adriano who worked outside of the group, and three from the B team.

After the draw on Sunday against Sevilla and then two days off, the squad led by Josep Guardiola returned to training on Wednesday in order to start preparing for their next opponents, Getafe on Saturday at Camp Nou.

The session on Wednesday was marked by a number of absences, especially considering five players ended the game on Sunday with various degrees of discomfort – Adriano, Alves, Maxwell, Messi and Pedro. Also absent from the pitch was Puyol, who remains injured, and Abidal, who on Thursday will have surgery to remove a tumour from his liver.

A total of 18 players participated in today’s training session, which took place at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper beginning at 11am. Both Alves and Adriano, the former with a bruised right ankle and the latter with trouble in the soleus muscle of his left leg, worked on the field apart from the group with physiotherapist Emili Ricart to aid their recovery.

As for the other three players carrying knocks, Maxwell, Messi and Pedro, all three players spent the session getting treatment for their individual trouble. Both Maxwell, with discomfort in the right thigh, and Pedro, with a groin injury, are serious doubts for the match with Getafe. Messi, meanwhile, is recovering from a heavy blow to his right knee, and the progression of the injury/recovery will determine his availability for Saturday’s game.

This left 13 first team players working normally on the pitch, along with three from the B team: Montoya, Fontàs and Miño. Under a very cloudy sky but without rain, the team started with the usual warm-up exercises and rounds.

On Tuesday it was announced that a tumour on Eric Abidal’s liver had been detected which will be removed surgically on Thursday. The French defender stopped by the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper before the start of training to see his teammates.

Let's hope the team and Abidal weather this storm.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »
UEFA ban Abidal t-shirts

By ESPNsoccernet staff
Real Madrid and Lyon have been told they will not be allowed to wear t-shirts wishing Barcelona defender Eric Abidal well before their Champions League tie at the Bernabeu on Wednesday.

Abidal was found to have a tumour on his liver earlier in the week and he will have surgery to remove this, with the procedure now brought forward to Thursday.

The two clubs had appealed to UEFA to relax a rule which forbids any emotional slogans being worn on clothes at Champions League games. But European football's governing body refused to make an exception.

Barcelona confirmed on their official website that the former Lyon, Lille and AS Monaco left-back, 31, will have surgery earlier than initially expected. At present it is not known how long the player will be out for or if he stands any chance of playing again this term.

President Sandro Rosell said: "Barca is 100% behind Eric Abidal. Health is more important than anything else in life. Abi, Barca loves you."

Barcelona midfielder Xavi also voiced his support after speaking to Abidal prior to training on Wednesday.

"It's the worst moment I've experienced in a dressing room," Xavi said. "It's a very sad day for all of us. These are difficult times for him and his family. He's always been an example for the dressing room, not only football-wise, but of attitude. Mentally he is one the strongest people I've met and this is going to help him a lot.

"When he came into training we gave him all the encouragement in the world. His mood surprised us, he's almost given us more encouragement than we have him, that shows his mental strength.

"He is an example of positivity. He told us to continue as always and that on Saturday we beat Getafe. We will try to dedicate a victory to him and his family.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/894849/lyon-and-real-madrid's-eric-abidal-t-shirts-banned?cc=3888

Més que un club.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »
Abidal visiting the training centre today.

Més que un club.

giggsy11

« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »
The damn El Clasico on frigin Espn! It also means no damn replay of the match! Hate that damn station!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Donde estan los madridistas?  Que sorpresa, Gijon, dios mio!  Siete puntos mas  ;D

giggsy11

« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2011, 06:58:28 AM »
Donde estan los madridistas?  Que sorpresa, Gijon, dios mio!  Siete puntos mas  ;D

Did you cut and paste this or pull out the Spanish textbook?  ;D

1]; } ?>