April 29, 2024, 06:53:19 AM

Author Topic: Ato Boldon and Smith linked to Balco..Ato denies using drugs!  (Read 5746 times)

truetrini

Ato Boldon and Smith linked to Balco..Ato denies using drugs!
« on: December 22, 2005, 08:27:48 PM »
Documents link two Bruin legends to Balco

Smith and Bolden signed non-disclosure agreements with Balco owner
May 24, 2004

By Jeff Eisenberg
Daily Bruin (U. California-Los Angeles)

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES - A link between two UCLA track and field legends and Balco Laboratories surfaced Saturday, marking the first time any Bruins have been named in connection to what may be the biggest drug scandal in U.S. sports history.

Former UCLA sprints coach John Smith and two-time NCAA champion Ato Boldon each signed separate non-disclosure agreements with Balco owner Victor Conte Jr. in late 2001, the San Jose Mercury News reported Saturday.

The documents, which make no references to drug use, reportedly do not specify the purpose of the agreement. Any association with Conte, however, could be damaging to either Smith or Boldon given the climate of the sport since the Balco investigation was publicized.

Boldon, a member of the stable of world-class sprinters coached by Smith at HSInternational track club, was quick to rebuff any suspicion of illegal drug use. The outspoken former Olympic silver medalist reiterated his innocence by posting a response to the Mercury News article on his Web site Saturday morning.

"As I have previously stated and continue to state, I have had no relationship whatsoever with Victor Conte or Balco Labs," Boldon said.

A long-time proponent of a zero-tolerance drug policy, Boldon made a statement on his Web site referring readers to his online diary, where last year he openly referenced what he says is his lone encounter with Conte. Boldon alludes to rejecting Conte's sales pitch in a meeting between the two men at an unspecified prior date.

Boldon was much more forthright in his response than Smith, who could not be reached for comment.

Perhaps the most renowned sprints and hurdles coach in the nation, Smith, spent nearly three decades in Westwood as a decorated athlete and coach, and still trains his HSI sprinters each morning at Drake Stadium.

"If you are going to do something illegal, why would you sign a (non-) disclosure document," HSI president Emanuel Hudson asked reporters Saturday. "Do you think a crack dealer on the corner would say he would want you to sign a (non-) disclosure agreement before he sells you the crack?"

The documents that reportedly link Conte to the two former Bruins are part of thousands of pages of evidence amassed by federal investigators against Balco.

Four men, including Conte, have pleaded not guilty to steroid distribution charges stemming from last year's discovery of the previously undetectable anabolic steroid tetrahydrogestrinone (THG). No trial date has been set.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 08:29:55 PM by truetrini »

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Ato Boldon and Smith linked to Balco..Ato denies using drugs!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 05:47:50 AM »
poi poi ato send meh some too nah  ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 12:36:06 PM »
LOL You could make a story out of anything yes...if me and CONTE was dealing in drugs how come everyone else got caught up when the feds came but never anyone in my camp? We real lucky boy....all kinda big athletes went down from Bonds to Jones, but not me - I have my Trini diplomatic passport so I am the teflon trini now....

Conte asked me if I wanted to do his drugs I told him hell no, don't need it. He went and gave it to other athletes, all of whom have now been busted or implicated...lol.....just keep giving me my upgraded medals...trying to incriminate me ent go work it has never worked lolol.

COME AGAIN!
BORN TO DO IT

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 09:40:11 PM »
Ato, I hope that you don't feel that I am involved in doubting your integrity.

As i highlighted your camp's position clearly.

Peace!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Ato Boldon's supposed love letter to John Smith
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
Ato Boldon's supposed love letter to John Smith
Apr 14, 2008 at 10:55pm Post Options Post by SI on Apr 14, 2008 at 10:55pm

(Some rough language. It was posted on letsrun...)

"To Benedict Arnold, aka the Great Betrayer .

I was so eagerly anticipating the meeting that was supposed to happen among you and I and Emanuel in Texas, so I could say this all to your face, since it's been brewing inside me for 4 months, but apparently his "Highness" Nawaf, another insufferable, know-it-all, piece of excrement, was more happy to over-eat and get publicly drunk with you (as usual) and pretend "it's all good" in LA-LA Land . Oh, yes, he did find the time to beg me for an hour to "please come up with a plan to save your black Rectus humongus" since you are, in his words, "unintelligent and would not survive for very long if this all goes down badly" . Imagine that . Me bail you out? For what? My own coach, doping my competition while he smiles in my face and preaches the "we are clean and they are not" gospel . DAILY .
Poor JD was right all along . Of course you favored one horse above all others - you WOW .
Thank God for the opportunity to be rid of both you and Nawaf in one fell swoop .
Integrity .
Loyalty .
Honor . Look them up in the dictionary . You preach it daily to your athletes and to anyone who will listen to you go on and on about nothing . They aren't stupid, they WILL figure you out . Most already have .

Since neither you nor the so-called "GOAT" has had the balls to sit down one-on-one with me (at any time in the past 4 months!!) OR EVEN PICK UP A PHONE TO CALL and explain anything about what you all conspired to do without anyone else's knowledge in the group, (and in turn, now taint everyone who has ever worked with you, even if they decided not to go this DRUG route) and I have to read it in the paper, even though I already know not just what the paper said, but way, way more, this, I guess is what it has to come to . AN HONEST E-MAIL, from someone who has been around you for

This, from three "men" who walk around like they are alpha-males, king-dick-swingers, the leaders of the pack . Larry, I can understand . He is incapable of doing anything but following his Rectus humongus with his nose or being a King George Bush 2-up . His whole life is testament to that . You and Maurice, well, history will certainly record you two accurately, I hope .
The first mistake the three of you made was pretending any of you was capable of any leadership worth a sorrowful cent . If you could lead anything, there wouldn't be need for Emanuel Hudson, whether or not your ego allows you to accept that . That's why I have to laugh at how brilliant this "plan" was from the get-go . Three idiots, who think they are so much smarter than the whole world . Wires from personal bank accounts, packages arriving to Onacrest Drive , personal emails, personal phone calls .

ABSOLUTELY brilliant work!

I was thinking last night that it's a good thing you 3 didn't plan to rob a bank, because you would all NOW be doing hard time, with your dumb asses .

And yet, knowing that this was coming since 2007, NONE of you have even picked up the phone to call me to say "ay, man I know you heard such and such, and this is the situation" . No, it's not like we were on the same team, or part of the same "family", right? It's not like I didn't spend the past 13 years defending anyone who dared to talk about anyone in my camp or in my group . I never did that, right? Donovan opened his mouth to DARE talk about my "boy" Maurice, and I was on him in a flash, why because when you are down, when you have each other's backs, that is what REAL MEN do - they back each other up, not King George Bush 2 each other over . Donovan was right too . My bad for thinking that I could trust any of you or believe a word you said .

I vouched for everyone . When Larry's Rectus humongus went down (of course that mystery positive of his isn't so mysterious now, is it?) it was my house that I called the meeting to, because if one was going through anything WE ALL WERE . But he is already on his way out in more ways than one, he just doesn't know it . . . . or maybe he does . . . . .

HSI is the best thing that ever happened to you, and you couldn't help but King George Bush 2 that up, could you? You are a walking tragedy . Now you will be back to less than the alternative . Remember what you had and how you got where you are about to go, Mr . Smith . Reality is about to smack you in the face .

I might have an ounce of respect left for either of the two of you, the "GOAT" or yourself, if you had called me up when this first broke to at least attempt to explain - like MEN - who are supposedly down for each other, do . You knew I knew, and yet both of you have done what you do best . Huddle in a corner and hide, and not let the people closest to you know you King George Bush 2ed up, so maybe they could either 1)help in the thinking department which clearly IS NOT a strong-point for any of you, or 2) watch their own asses . So manly of you . Just pretend it will all go away and no one will remember . Ah, but karma is a princess . Maurice is already finding that out, and quick! Woman, house, cars, lifestyle, career, money, future, everything, GONE!

Imagine you are laughing and joking with me every single day on the track for months this year, and you knew damn well I know what I know, and you are totally cool with that . . . . as though I'm some kind of sorrowful idiot - not once have you said a word about any of this . . . . . "duck and run" as usual . You have become so good at it, too . Must be the years of practice .

Now, we all are embarrassed and forever stained because of you and your slap! . And just in case you, too, think "you took a chance on me in '95" as Darrell so eloquently put it (yeah, a 20 year-old who came to you with international medals and running 10 . 07 - big chance that was!) remember I took a chance on you long before, because I didn't come to you with drug baggage - you were the one with the rumors and the stuff in the book . I came anyway, because I believed all that slap! you were selling about "drug-free", and since I never saw it in my face, I could actually believe it . Drug Free, my Rectus humongus . You are an older Trevor Graham . PERIOD - on a different coast of the USA - and that isn't easy for me to say, because you know what I think about Trevor . You think running to West Angeles Church every time you are about to get caught will solve something? I went to West Angeles for 10 years and probably saw you twice . God has a message for you, JS, "Don't give drugs to people's children! Steer them away from it if they ask you, too!"

There's your salvation!

Look around you . Everything around you is withering and/or dying . How can that be? You have won not a single medal that matters since 2004, and not a clean one since 2003 (poor Torri) . Is it because you have sowed nothing but poison and deceit your entire life, and now the brief stay you had "at the top" is now over? Say what you want about me and my failure to win the BIG ones, but I did it cleanly, and I can look you or anyone else in the face, not to mention myself in the mirror, for the rest of my life . I know that, and so DO YOU . But it all makes sense now - This is why you were unceremoniously removed from UCLA . This is why Kerron Clement and just about everyone else who would be considered top-notch talent for years now is steering WAY clear of you . Maybe you don't get that . I think you will now .

I realize it now, and it's sad to see what you have become . You used to be a hero of mine . Now I wouldn't want my dog to piss on you if you were on fire . That ain't no emotional nothing, either, brother, that is REAL TALK . Man to man, the way you should have come at me from the jump . It's that much disgust . That's what happens when a black man you look up to deceives you for years, while pretending and smiling in your face .

John Smith the great "sprint guru" is nothing but the emperor with no clothes . No, wait a minute, we know you can coach someone to 9 . 86 x4 and 19 . 77 . The rest I can't vouch for, ever .

Naked . . . . .

. . . with a big vial of drugs, slap! theories and hypocrisy by the pound behind the curtain . Now we all understand why you always had to go run over and kiss Trevor's Rectus humongus every damn where when you KNEW we didn't trust him . Now I understand why, despite the fact that he raided your camp, talks about your deteriorating coaching skills and basically plays you for a fool, you are always in Larry Wade's face yukking it up . Enjoy that . Birds of a feather . . . .

This case in the NY Times is not some mistake, some "oops" moment, some misstep, some one-time weakness, it's a pattern, and going back to the stuff written about you in Speed Trap after 1988, right up to you know who in 2007, almost 20 years later - nothing has changed - and what that most recent case reveals about what you ARE and ARE not willing to do, of course while preaching the usual JOHN SMITH slap! - is that this is who you are and what you are and how you operate . Stop pretending it isn't . Imagine, I doubt now whether a single one of the people whose careers I respect, was likely clean, if you were their coach .

Not Q, not Steve, not any of them . Imagine K . Young is calling around now to find out how far back they can "check excrement" . . . . . why would he be doing that, you think?

Let me cut to the chase, as it concerns your ultimate betrayal, as you doped my competition and my teammates while professing to the world (and of course to me) that you were the "drug free coach" . When you see me somewhere, just pretend you don't . You are dead to me .

Don't mention my name, don't have a single thing to say about me, because to me you are the scum of the earth, the ultimate deceiver, who preaches one thing and lives another .

We have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God . The difference is, I would never King George Bush 2 any of you over the way you have, to everyone who now has to answer for your slap! while you remain quiet, hoping it will all blow over . It won't and your name will likely be the next name called, so don't think you got off because your name isn't in this one .

If you think things seem "rough" now, imagine where you will be in ten years time .

You've earned it! You can't sow deceit and reap success and prosperity - and if you do, its very fleeting . You of all people should know that . Yet nothing changes . Still trying to get people on the stuff, huh, JS? (Of course while the others know nothing of it) . I pray God rescues your soul, my "brother" .

P . S . In case you think somehow this email is somehow a reason for me to not have to confront you face to face, think again .

I realized, in 4 months, that you have no intention of confronting any of your own demons, and certainly not little old silly me, since you actually now believe your own slap! (it's ok, I did for some time, as well) so why should I bother . You can discard this when you are done reading it, as I have discarded the mirage that passed for most of the family and relationships that existed within HSI . Don't try to say excrement to me now in any way shape or form . You had your chance to say something since December, or maybe when this brilliant plan was concocted so I could have exited then (as I tried to in 2002 - note to self always trust your instincts!) but you were content to play me for a further fool . Pretend you don't see me when we are in public, because I will certainly do the same . Anything to the contrary and we are going to have a problem, and so will everyone else around .

You all made your bed . I will be RIGHT here to watch you burn in it, and there ain't a fire extinguisher that will put this one out .

You want to King George Bush 2 people over and plot behind people's backs? So be it . Now you deal with the repercussions .

Change your ways, John . Hypocrisy will be early death of you . Mark my words . You can't speak one thing and live another .

R . I . P . H . S . I"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:25:12 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »
...And we dredge this up for what reason???? ::) ::)
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »
The article
Link to article was posted on Caribbean Track & Field site and since it concerned Ato's falling out with the John Smith Camp and it was not posted here when I checked this thread I decided to posted it for the interest of those may not have read it and may still want to know exactly why Ato fell out with that camp.

Did I commit a sin in your eyes or something?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:13:54 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 06:57:39 PM »
The article
Link to article was posted on Caribbean Track & Field site and since it concerned Ato's falling out with the John Smith Camp and it was not posted here when I checked this thread I decided to posted it for the interest of those may not have read it and may still want to know exactly why Ato fell out with that camp.

1.) it was posted here years ago

2.) Explain to me how Emmanuel Hudson being up on extortion charges with regards to a rape has any connection to this other than the fact that he is/was Ato's agent?
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
The article

1.) it was posted here years ago

2.) Explain to me how Emmanuel Hudson being up on extortion charges with regards to a rape has any connection to this other than the fact that he is/was Ato's agent?

In answer to question one, so what? I never saw article when it was originally posted nor could I find it when I did a search so I decided to post it here for the benefit of others who didn't get to read it and may be interested in details of why Ato left the JS camp.

In answer to question two, I don't think I owe you an explanation for anything as I did not write the email posted nor have I ever claimed to be an expert on the topic. I simply posted it here as an information source. I don't think Ato's Email apparently written in  2008 mentions anything about Emmanuel Hudson being up on extortion charges with regards to a rape in 2014 so not sure why you raised that point here.

I already explained why I posted the email/article so may be you should now understand why and move on?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:17:58 PM by Socapro »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:10 PM »
Man I will never forget that Atlanta Olympics. I don't know how Ato get over that because I haven't. If Ato had switched allegiance and run for the USA he would have won so many "gold" medals and "broke" so many records.

Honestly, in all of sports I have never admired and athlete as I have Ato.  :beermug:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 01:41:47 AM »
Man I will never forget that Atlanta Olympics. I don't know how Ato get over that because I haven't. If Ato had switched allegiance and run for the USA he would have won so many "gold" medals and "broke" so many records.

Honestly, in all of sports I have never admired and athlete as I have Ato.  :beermug:
Why do you think Ato would have won more gold medals and broken more records if he had switched allegiance to the USA but remained clean as he did?

As far as I am concerned Ato made the right decision. Does Maurice Green have an American stadium named after him as well as songs done by top American artists about his achievements among other perks?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:46:01 AM by Socapro »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »

Why do you think Ato would have won more gold medals and broken more records if he had switched allegiance to the USA but remained clean as he did?

As far as I am concerned Ato made the right decision. Does Maurice Green have an American stadium named after him as well as songs done by top American artists about his achievements among other perks?

I am definitely sure as a fan, Ato made the right choice.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
Ten years later, I doubt I could have known then how many of the Balco folks would be exposed and shamed for life, from Greece to the UK and the USA.

Life's a marathon, not a sprint.

I just waited for the chips to fall.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
Ten years later, I doubt I could have known then how many of the Balco folks would be exposed and shamed for life, from Greece to the UK and the USA.

Life's a marathon, not a sprint.

I just waited for the chips to fall.

Just like the wise one Yoda from Star Wars!  :beermug:

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
People who use drugs most of the times they cah breed.

Ato, how much chirren yuh have?

:rotfl: :rotfl:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:07:44 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>