April 28, 2024, 03:25:09 PM

Author Topic: 2010 World Cup – The Best Ever.  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2010 World Cup – The Best Ever.
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »
2010 World Cup – The Best Ever.
By: Hannibal Najjar.

20-20 Hindsight, 2010 Insight

Hindsight is 20-20, and when something is great we score it out of 10. In hindsight, this just-concluded World Cup could have be referred to as, 20-20-10! Strangely, today is Tuesday July, 20, ’10, yes, 2010, the day that I made these reflections! Perfect numbering for a near-perfect World Cup!

Having seen almost every game of every World Cup ever since the Beautiful Game of World Cups was brought to our homes, I feel confident that this is an honest and correct assessment. The most entertaining World Cup however, would probably be the two played in same-soil, Mexico, in 1970 and 1986, won by Pele’s Brasil, and Maradona’s Argentina respectively.

Italy and France – Short-Lived Dance

All things considered, it is in my opinion that this was the best ever World Cup for all participating nations. Save the 7-0 drubbing by Portugal over North Korea , all other games were very competitively fiercely played. When one witnesses that, the two finalists of World Cup 2006, Italy and France were both eliminated in the first round, and more so, both finishing LAST in their respective groups, one begins to understand the reasoning of this claim. The notion that the “gap is closing” no loner exists, for it is now, “closed”, and full congratulations must go out to FIFA for its Goal programme and world-wide funding.

Upsets – A thing of the Past

No longer will we look at World Cup games and easily say that there is an upset in the making. Look at the Round of Sixteen, and the results of the First Round, one can see why every team had a legitimate chance of advancing. The list included Uruguay , South Korea , USA , Ghana , Germany , England , Argentina , Mexico , Netherlands , Slovakia , Brasil , Chile , Paraguay , Japan , Portugal , and Spain . Then, of the five CONMEBOL nations, the last to qualify, half-team Uruguay, was the only one in the semis, and the not-so-likely, Diego Forlan was, Golden Ball winner, and "freshman", Muller won the Golden Boot. Kaka, Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, nor Torres and others, soared to the top.

Techniques, Tactics, and Strategies, and not Individuality Prevailed

The games were filled with strategies that suggested that coaches played an important part in the freedom and control tone of each encounter. This was not a tournament for stars, whether to be discovered or confirmed – brilliance surfaced but the play was dominated by sound techniques, amazing tactics, coaching strategies, and marvelous teamwork. Those teams that deviated from this failed rather miserably. In the end, it was a supreme Spain in all departments of the game that prevailed. They understood their departmental requirements thoroughly and each person attended to every detail with interest, quality, and a responsibility to the whole and the overall good.

Their play was always fulfilling the four most important ingredients in high quality performances –

They sought to play every play early, simply, and well i.e. quick, timely, and efficient
They were able to complement this with speed
They further complemented each high-speed, early, simple, and well play, with the solid warding off of the opposition i.e. those that were in immediate contention of the ball-handler, and those who were marking pass receivers
They did all these consistently

Thoroughly Deserved Victory and Confirmed Table-Top Ranking

Spain deserved their trophy, their place firmly back at the top of world football, and they did it with class, individual brilliance and pizzazz, and with solid offensive and defensive teamwork. They truly epitomized what genuine teamwork is about – when you think of the world-class players that sat the bench only to come on with pleasant faces, willing spirits, and hard-working attitudes (in the likes of Fabregas, and Torres, to mention a few) one understands Spain’s readiness for this ultimate occasion. Not even the rough, untimely, and unsavory tactics of the one-dimensionally focused Holland could impede their vision and mission. Long live Spain and its high-quality local and international football – truly the world’s best!
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 World Cup – The Best Ever.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »
interesting since this has been happening since 2002. remember the famous quotes "a new world order"
France, Portugal & Argentina Knocked out early in the first rounds 02. the rise of Turkey, Senegal, South Korea, Swiss in the Tournament.
In 2006 we saw somewhat a return to World Order, witha disappointment from SA and domination of Europe.

2010 was really in my opinion no different. The scores were tight in 02-06, teams surprised, tactically and technically we saw good football.
To call 2010 the best WC is really stretching it, maybe its the freshness of the event.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »
eh  ???
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
If this is the best World Cup ever I'm never watching another one.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »
Cant agree that this is the best WC ever.  ....this Wc was disapointing as the final did not reflect the best teams playing at their best. Take the NBA final ..best teams playing their best. Wimbledon final ...best players playing at their best. any olympic or world final in athletics ..best athletes performing at their best. however the Wc final ....best teams playing not to lose !

FFA must find a way to make the final more attractive to spectators. They made moves before when teams were playing for draws by awarding 3 pts for a win and one one for a draw.

Maybe they need to have a carry over system of points from earlier rounds making it possible for teams to get to the final  with one slightly ahead on points thereby ensuring that the game is competitive from the opening whistle.

Hey I might be on to something here ...if any of you lawyers here can help earn me some money for this idea ..please let me know ..I am even willing to share !  :beermug:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:32:03 AM »
Not the best I've seen. I enjoyed 2010 a lot more than 2006 though (with T&T and all). I find the KO stage in 2006 was real boring. 2002 and 1998 were better spectacles.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »
Not the best I've seen. I enjoyed 2010 a lot more than 2006 though (with T&T and all). I find the KO stage in 2006 was real boring. 2002 and 1998 were better spectacles.

2002 4 SURE meh Boi Ronaldo recovered from d French obeah nicely and scored in d final. Could not ask 4 more.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »
Was this fella born in 2007?

1]; } ?>