April 26, 2024, 05:57:59 PM

Author Topic: Robinson: Probe into 1990 long overdue  (Read 915 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Robinson: Probe into 1990 long overdue
« on: July 23, 2010, 03:43:06 AM »
Robinson: Probe into 1990 long overdue
Richard Lord
Published: 23 Jul 2010

Arthur NR Robinson
Richard Lord
Everything should be done to ensure that “fundamental and destructive elements” are not allowed to attack the people of this country in the future.

This advice comes from former prime minister and president Arthur NR Robinson, days before the 20th anniversary of the bloody July 1990 attempted coup. In an interview yesterday, Robinson said such people must be “controlled and if possible got rid off.” Robinson said it was very important that the mistakes which led to the coup be learnt by those in authority.

He said every effort should be made to ensure there was no repeat of such an attack on the democracy of T&T. Robinson, who was shot while being held hostage in the Parliament during the attempted coup, said the commission of enquiry was long overdue. He said the decision to set up the public inquiry was a personal triumph for NAR member Wendell Eversley, who had been calling for it for several years.

Robinson said Eversley did it in the national interest and should be given a national award. “He is a national hero, in my view,” he added. Robinson said the 1990 coup attempt was of “major historical importance” to the people of T&T, as it was the most traumatic event in the country’s history. Robinson said it was necessary for several questions to be answered and the inquiry should provide the answers.

“It is absolutely necessary to show the facts on how such a daring and foolish group could burst into the Parliament while in session.” He said the enquiry would also explain how arms could have been brought into the country and hidden and used for the attack with the security forces knowing about them. Some 24 nationals, including two police officers and MP for Diego Martin Central Leo Des Vignes, were killed during the incident.

Article Tools

Login or register to post commentsComments: 4 EmailPrint
Related
Multimedia
There is no related multimedia.Stories
•Everything will be told—Bakr
•PM: Probe into 1990 coup coming
•Khan: Probe will clean can of worms
 .This post mortem is long
Submitted by The Prince on 23 July 2010 - 4:43am.
This post mortem is long overdue. Robinson could have initiated it while he was still PM or when he was minister extraordinaire or when he was president. What was he waiting for? He and Abu Bakr were the two main protagonists in this sordid affair and their testimonies should be at the centre of the enquiry.

Robbie will claim that the NAR Gov't had inherited an empty treasury from the PNM and he and his government needed to rule with an iron fist to ensure that the country was stabilised with IMF dictated measures, under his messianic rule. Robbie even saw it in his heart to forgive these murderers. At his wife's funeral he confessed to seeing humanity in these felons when one of them delivered a note from his wife to him.

On the other hand Bakr will claim that the people were being oppressed by an uncaring government and he and his gang of murderers were on a mission to rescue the country from one dictatorship by imposing another ruled by sharia law. He says it did not happen overnight. But it seemed that it was well planned in secrecy and executed with deadly force. The arms cache could not have been secured and amassed overnight.

Then there is the Red House seige. Was the order to attack with full force meant to secure martyrdom for all those in the Parliament, hostages and insurgents alike? It is alleged that certain army officers seemed only too pleased to attack with full fire power, swearing at a certain individual, as if hoping to take him out in the attack.

There were also reports that some of the hostages were advising the terrorists on how to secure a cease-fire and to extricate themselves from this treasonous act and receive a pardon, albeit secured through duresse.

Certain MPS were conspicuous by their absence. One was sleeping and is alleged to have declared "wake me up when it is over"; another it was claimed was seen rushing out from POS sweating in the midday sun as if the devil was chasing him; the poor deputy speaker was in the hot seat, hog-tied, having to relieve himself on himself, and when he begged his "guard" to loosen his shackles which were cutting into his wrists, the animal tighted them more. His car was shot up outside parliament and insurance did not cover damages from insurrection. He had nightmares and suffered flasbacks long after he was released. He has now passed on and we have lost his testmony, like that of so many others.

Better late than never.

Login or register to post commentsReport this comment.....the families of those
Submitted by Zando Lee on 23 July 2010 - 3:51am.
....the families of those who lost their lives deserve answers...

Login or register to post commentsReport this comment.I fully agree with you Mr.
Submitted by LORDISGOD on 23 July 2010 - 4:23am.
I fully agree with you Mr. Robinson.

A probe into the 1990 coup attempt is long overdue!

Its time for Abu Bakr and his "comrades in arms" to be put to death for treason and for making death threats on PM Kamla's life.

Who the hell does Mr. Abu Bakr really think he is...eh??

Mr. Abu Bakr if you feel that our people is going to sit by and let you and your "comrades in arms" overthrow the government again...you and your comrades are sadly mistaken Mr.Bakr!

We will not allow you and your comrades to keep us hostage EVER AGAIN in Trinidad and Tobago!

Mr.Abu Bakr you are nothing but a common criminal/murderer and terrorist in my view and you should "pay" for your all your crimes that you have committed in T&T.

Our country rightfully wants and demands justice for your 1990 coup attempt.

Mr.Abu Bakr I believe that you and your comrades are a security threat to Trinidad and Tobago.

Our government should "hang" you and your comrades for treason and all those murders that you all are responsible for in the 1990 coup attempt.

I want to congratulate PM Kamla and AG Ramlogan for having the courage to reopen this matter because nobody should be "above the law" in Trinidad and Tobago.

Excellent job PM Kamla and the People's Partnership government!
Onwards to REAL JUSTICE in Trinidad and Tobago.

AG Ramlogan you should seek assistance from the American government and /or British government in dealing with Mr. Abu Bakr and his "comrades in arms" NOW!

The Prime Minister's life, public safety and our country is at risk because of this terrorist/murderer.We cannot ignore his threats.

In any case Mr.Abu Bakr and his "comrades in arms" should be on a constant "watch list" in my view until they are put to death by the hangman!

Login or register to post commentsReport this comment.Is this the same ANR
Submitted by JT on 23 July 2010 - 4:26am.
Is this the same ANR Robinson calling for a probe into the 1990 attempt to overthrow his government. You know the one, he was the prime minister, the president and the man who handed Mr. Manning the reigns of the country under some dubious ethical considerations, without asking whether he would probe the coup attempt.

But that would have been Caesar to Caesar. Did he suffer from laryngitis all these years. Now he wants to give some person a national award for calling for a probe when half the T&T community except PNMites been calling for that for years.

Now that he has given up the bully pulpit he's talking about a probe. Robinson reminds me of CJ Isaac Hyatali who when he was CJ never called for the death penalty for drug dealers but as soon as he got off the bench, when he lost his bully pulpit, he called for such action.

Login or register to post commentsReport this comment.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson: Probe into 1990 long overdue
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 05:17:21 AM »
NURSE: ROBBIE SLAPPED ME
By AZARD ALI Friday, July 30 2010

Nurse Jocelyn Bowen has sued former President Arthur NR Robinson for assault and slander, accusing him of slapping her at President’s House on November 2, 2000.

Robinson, in his defence, claims Bowen did not tell the truth about what happened on that day.

Bowen and Robinson testified before Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh in the San Fernando High Court yesterday.

Bowen filed the lawsuit on October 28, 2004, in which she sought exemplary and aggravated damages against Robinson for slander and trespass to her person (assault).

The nurse told Justice Boodoosingh that on November 2, 2000, Robinson slapped her on the shoulders at President’s House after he complained she failed to give him his antibiotics.

Led by her attorney Haresh Ramnath, Bowen said she is a registered nurse and was assigned to care for Robinson’s wife, Patricia, at President’s House, St Ann’s. She took up duties on December 24, 1999.

Bowen, of Diamond Vale, Diego Martin, testified her responsibilities were to administer medication for diabetes to Patricia. She also assisted in dressing Patricia. (Patricia died on September 10, 2009 from Alzheimer’s disease.)

Bowen told the judge that at about 7.15 am, on November 2, 2000, Robinson called her and complained that he was not given his antibiotic tablets.

The nurse said the former President then slapped her on the left shoulder. She testified Robinson pushed her with his finger and shouted, “Murderer! Murderer! Get out of my house. I will put you out of my house, ah go cuss yuh! ah go cuss yuh!”

Bowen also gave the court a description of a corridor at President’s House, and said there were nine persons in the corridor where the incident happened.

Senior Counsel Stanley Marcus, instructed by Guy Hannays, represented Robinson and cross- examined Bowen. Marcus suggested to her that the former President had gently touched her on the shoulders in an attempt to ward her off. However, Bowen maintained, “No Sir, I was slapped on my shoulder.”

Robinson, 83, was taken in a wheelchair into the Civil Chamber courtroom via the High Court basement, accompanied by his daughter Margaret and a plainclothes police officer. He was then asked to testify. Robinson was then seated on a chair next to the witness box. He told Boodoosingh, under questioning by Ramnath, that an incident about his medication did take place, but not in the corridor. “It was in the bedroom,” Robinson said, “in which I did not receive my antibiotics.”

Asked by Ramnath if he slapped Bowen, Robinson said his former nurse was not telling the truth. “She was approaching me and I touched her gently on the shoulders,” Robinson said.

Ramnath then suggested to the former President that he was not telling the truth.

“In your witness statement you admitted that an incident happened on the corridor, but you are now saying that it happened in the bedroom. I am suggesting that you are not telling the truth, Mr Robinson,” Ramnath said.

Robinson replied, “As I said, I gently poked her on the shoulders.”

Before Robinson testified, Lenore Dorset was called as a witness and said she was the former executive assistant to Robinson at President’s House. She said an incident happened on November 2, 2000, but it was not until December 6, 2000 that Bowen complained to her about it.

The trial ended with Boodoosingh ordering that Marcus provide written submissions by August 23 and Ramnath is to file his reply by September 14. Boodoosingh said he would deliver his ruling on October 27.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>