April 28, 2024, 01:31:42 PM

Author Topic: London calling for young hurdler  (Read 3328 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: London calling for young hurdler
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »

London calling for young hurdler

By Kevin Bishop
Series Producer, BBC World Olympic Dreams

Jehue Gordon is the kind of person who does not need pointing out when you walk into a room.

We first meet in the staff room of his old school in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. He sits with the quiet confidence that athletic self-esteem brings but mixed here with a slight nervous awe at being in that once forbidden adult sanctuary.

Belmont Boys' Secondary School is a place, he tells me, that is the foundation of the success he has achieved. The school has its fair share of celebrated alumni in the world of sport, culture and politics.

Jehue is the latest boy-done-good and he wears his local celebrity with a swagger that never risks crossing over into arrogance.

As we walk through the schoolyard, students whoop and shout out his name. Some - in mock adulation that masks real pride and excitement - ask for his autograph.

"Jehue Gordon, you are my role model", one shouts. "Will you sign my social studies book?"  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

The school strikes me as a place where education is both valued and enjoyed. The principal, Lucia Raes, describes Jehue as a focussed student: "Willing to do the hard work and the sacrifice that it took to be an athlete but never forgetting the academic side."

A short walk from the school is Queens Park Savannah, the grassy expanse that gives life to the centre of Port of Spain. Here, as dusk brings a welcome relief to the intense heat of the afternoon, the young of the capital come out to play.

Under the gaze of local hero Brian Lara's imposing house, cricket matches spring out of the dusty haze. Over by the street-vendors, setting up their food stalls to tempt the hungry and exhausted, young men kick a ball about until the last of the light fades, scuffing up a cloud of dust with every footfall.

Cricket and football were the young Jehue's first loves but his gym teacher Albert King soon spotted something special in his running technique that convinced him he had a future track star on his hands.

We unlock the door to the school gym - a small hall that doubles as a classroom - and Jehue's face bursts into an open grin.

He and his former mentor set out the old training equipment. Flimsy plastic hurdles that now barely come up to his knees and two wooden benches, covered in dust but still sturdy.

Albert puts Jehue through his paces again, slapping his trailing leg as he hits the hurdle. Both start to giggle as they remember how the room quickly became too small for the growing athlete.

"Remember how I used to run up there so fast I'd hit my head on the wall?" laughs Jehue.

At 17, he first burst onto the athletic stage when he came within a whisker of a bronze medal at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.

"Young Gordon", as one race commentator called him, ran the fastest-ever time by a junior at the event, clocking an impressive 48.26 seconds in the final and losing out on a medal by just 3/100ths of a second.

A year later, it is the teenager we first get to know rather than the athlete. He is a demon texter, his Blackberry beeping every few minutes with a new message. At home, always keen to stay off his feet, he plays computer games with his brother as he whiles away the hours between track sessions.

A talented flute player at school, his iPod Touch now plays the soundtrack to his training routine, RnB and soca, the local soul calypso dance music.

When a flash of inquisitiveness or humour punctures his teenage aloofness, he throws out a spark that is infectious

Later that evening, at the Memphis Pioneers sports club, Jehue warms up gently under the watchful eye of club president Edwin Skinner. Ed knows a thing or two about what it takes to make it as an athlete.

He was one of the 4x100 metre team that won Trinidad and Tobago's first-ever Olympic medal in Tokyo in 1964, just two years after his nation gained independence from Britain.

He thinks the effort that Jehue is putting in now will see him rewarded at the highest level. "It's tough but Jehue sees it as an investment of his time. What else would he be doing - it's better than hanging out on the block with the other kids."

Jehue's coach Ian Hypolite puts it more simply: "Jehue was born special."

Behind us Jehue drags five hurdles into position. He bursts out of the starting block and over the hurdles with the speed and grace of a springbok.

For an hour or more, he goes through the same routine, over and over again. He is not happy with his performance - perhaps our camera distracts him, maybe he is just having an off day. But I am blown away by his power, speed and composure. Now I know what all the fuss is about.

Jehue has a wickedly winning smile. When a flash of inquisitiveness or humour punctures his teenage aloofness, he throws out a spark that is infectious.

But I sense that Jehue realises that he is at a turning point. His schooldays are all but over and the lure of a scholarship at a US University tempts him with the promise of funding, elite training facilities and regular competition.

But he knows he would miss the security and comfort of a country that is just getting to know him, his mother who has sacrificed so much to make him the man he is becoming, and of course that good old home cooking. Usain Bolt made it without making the leap to America; Jehue Gordon seems to be wondering if he should follow his hero's example.

Whatever he decides, Jehue Gordon strikes me as a man who will do well in life, and dare I say it, in his chosen sport too. He has the drive and certainty of purpose that all great athletes exude.

A truly world-class runner is emerging from a gangly teenage frame and is starting to taste the potential he knows he has.

Whether his Olympic dreams come true will be first tested over 10 hurdles on a summer's evening in 2012 in the East End of London, in a little under 48 seconds.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
Good post  :beermug:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »
BBC has a 2 YEAR series about a select few athletes around the world that they following getting ready for Olympics. glad too see Gordon in the tv series 

World Olympic Dreams - Follow aspiring Olympians to London 2012

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/world_olympic_dreams/default.stm
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:15:06 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »
Didn't realise Jehue went to my old school, Belmont Boys Sec. Double thumbs up to him for that.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
For some reason I thought he went QRC?

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:26:44 PM »

Me too. Maybe he is doing form six at Q.R.C.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »

transferred from belmont to QRC.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »

transferred from belmont to QRC.

That cool!!!!         

AirMan

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:09:58 AM »
always thought of him as a QRC boy

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:52 AM »
Belmont-QRC. Good combination. Iwent QRC and I used to roam the Belmont area.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »
I went to Belmont and that Albert King they talking about in the article was my Bio teacher and the school's cricket and football coach. Gald to see he has some recognition after all these years of nuturing sporting talent. Represented the school at football in de 80s and played alongside Ian Bishop. Yes hes was a mean centre half also. Was the victor lodurum in the school sports one year. Must check if I still have the school record for the 800M. But I suppose Jehue must have broken that if he ran that event! Those were the days, when more murders used to happen on the show 'murder she wrote' than in country! When the savannah was one place where everything used to happen. Yes, I mean everything!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »
I went to Belmont and that Albert King they talking about in the article was my Bio teacher and the school's cricket and football coach. Gald to see he has some recognition after all these years of nuturing sporting talent. Represented the school at football in de 80s and played alongside Ian Bishop. Yes hes was a mean centre half also. Was the victor lodurum in the school sports one year. Must check if I still have the school record for the 800M. But I suppose Jehue must have broken that if he ran that event! Those were the days, when more murders used to happen on the show 'murder she wrote' than in country! When the savannah was one place where everything used to happen. Yes, I mean everything!

I hear you bro!!!

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: BBCs profile of Jehue