March 28, 2024, 02:55:36 AM

Author Topic: My report and opinion on today's game  (Read 2969 times)

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
My report and opinion on today's game
« on: March 30, 2005, 10:23:48 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago certainly lifted their game quite a few notches than that of the very recent past.  We defintely looked more promising and dangerous in our attack, while our defence was pretty decent in the end.

The atmosphere today was exceptional, although fans did not turn out in huge numbers as they did in the previous T&T-USA qualifier.  The fans certainly were more invloved in today's proceedings and had much more to cheer about.  I would say about 8,000 people attended today's game.

Now on to the game........

The starting lineup no doubt sprung a few surprises and raised eyebrows.

Firstly, DENNIS LAWRENCE started again!....I was quite upset about this.

Tiger was left out of the starting eleven.

Spann finally got a chance to start.

Rojas started in the left wing back position.

Charles played at right back.

KENWYNE JONES was left out of the starting eleven...I was definitely peeved about this!

Ince started ahead of Shaka..which I did not object to, since Shaka may not be in his best form and is lacking match practice.  I knew Ince was also very solid and would handle himself.

Our first half was definitely the best (first) half we have played that I can recall.  I mentioned previously that we were a second half team, and we always entered a lull in the first 30 minutes of a game.  Today was a stark contrast to this, as our first half was several times better than our second half.

We knocked the ball around with some poise and class, and for once our Warriors seemed to click in terms of their ball possession.  I must admit, that if we were to build on this type of performance, T&T could certainly take a few points away from teams overseas, and could unleash some surprise victories at home as well. 

I was particularly, impressed with the midfield today, since this is usually our area of weakness.  Dwight Yorke must be given credit for putting in a 100% effort.  Yorkey held up the ball well, used his good ball skills and touches to good effect, and really hustled and tackled with passion and urgency that we expect of our Warriors.  He certainly lifts this team a notch, but I still think he could be even more deadly as an atacking midfielder just behind the strikers.  His first touch and ball control is still excellent, and he could be dangerous around the opposition's penaly area with his quick flicks between strikers, shots on goal, and striker's instinct, instead of assuming the role of the playmaker in the middle of the park.  He does get a bit tired after 60 minutes or so, but still tries hard.  Imagine a player like Dwarika coming on to replace Yorkie behind the strikers.  We will need him to come on in the second half to provide some fresh legs, turns, and some tricks.  Unpredictability is the name of the game.

The player who blew me away with his passing, control and vision to some extent was SILVIO SPANN.  Tell me, why the hell did Bertie have to reach this stage of certain desperation, to try this player in his side?  Spann to me is a must start, and was generally wise in his passing decisons while being very involved in our midfield buildups.  He tackled a fair bit as well, and looks extremely reliable in the middle of the park.  Imagine Theobald and/or Whitley in the middle with Spann while Yorke being above them behind two strikers.  That is certainly a formidable midfield, with good defensive hustlers as well.

Ince was tremendous today, and showed why he is capable of being our #1 keeper even ahead of our reliable Shaka.  His goalkeeping instincts were sound, and he pulled off a couple of spectacular saves from nearly certain goal scoring positions.  He also seems very comfortable with shot stopping and with the ball in the air while possessing a demon of a goal kick/dunk out.

Anton Pierre, in my opinion was solid as usual.  He was used in a left back position today.  He seems a bit slow, but certainly compensates for this with quality defensive instincts and good defensive headers. 

Atiba Charles also had a great game defensively, and does very well when overlapping, with the ability to take on players and leave them for dead as well as putting in qulaity crosses.

Lawrence had an average game.  Are u surprised?

Eve had an extremely good game, and must start in midfield, if not come on early in the second half.
He linked up well with Yorke in the midfield, and did well bring the ball forward into attack.  Definitely a warrior with heart.  He also provides menacing crosses, free kicks and corners.

Rojas was pretty good especially in the second half.  Good overlapping, came back well in defence several times.  I cannot complain with his effort.  He should start all games.

Carlos Edwards was superb in the first half, and linked up very well with Spann in the midfield.  He provides very good crosses.  However, he should be encouraged to take on players when he is in a 1v1 or when he is afforded space instead of turning or passing.  He faded in the second half, and looked as though we was either tired, or picked up a knock.  A sure starter.

Stern had an average game, but his ball control in taking down those balls on his chest and thigh were breathtaking.  He is definitely our go to striker for the long ball if used sparingly.  This leads me to believe that we could play with only one striker.

Cornell Glen, in my opinion did not have a very good game, and would do far better when coming off the bench with fresh legs against tired defenders.  He was coming off of an injury though.

Hector Sam came on and definitely looked busy.  He worked hard and did look dangerous, a good sub to have.  Very fast.  Nigel Pierre came on and had an average performance.

KENWYNE JONES should have been used though, either to replace a tired Edwards or up front, but was not. Bertie certainly lost out here.

Scott Sealy, Dwarika, Seaton and Theobald will make this side complete and very potent.

Well, thats it....tell me what alya think 8) 8)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: My report and opinion on today's game
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 10:34:41 PM »
not a bad report, but rojas? nah man triniwings, he definitely played his last game! stern ran offside all de time! other than that, de report was ok!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »
for Real, your Observation of Rojas & Stern, is vastly different to everyone else's.

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 10:49:24 PM »
Remember, I said Stern had an average game.  Which means he did not stand out.  He did not bring anything special to the game.  But nobody could say he did not bring down some nice long ball while under pressure(sometimes 2 men) on his back, especially in the first half.  That is all I am saying. 

With Rojas, remember I said he had a good game especially in the SECOND HALF.  His first half was not really that great.  But he has some quality to him on the left side to be nutured and further developed, thats for sure.  Remember, we have no left sided players besides him, that is why I say he must start.

But I appreciate your opinions, that was just my take.  That does not mean I am 100% right.

Ah sure we cud agree that the performance was up a few notches than our last 2 qualifiers. ;D

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nice report still!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 11:29:42 PM »

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 11:32:49 PM »
tanks trini...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 11:50:42 PM »
Thanks for the report; could to see some concensus among the reporters.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 08:16:03 AM »
I only listened on the radio. But from what I could tell Rojas seemed to be involved in both defence and attack...he seemed to have more say up front in linking with the forwards around the box than John.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 08:31:06 AM »
Nice report, thanx.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 09:22:47 AM »
Thanx for the report.... 1 question ... you really think we could play with 1 striker....

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 11:55:39 AM »
First time posting in this format so I'll piggy back on a thread. Here is how I saw the game.

Ince: was solid for the most part. Made some good saves and except for the dropped cross seemed confident and in control.

Atiba Charles: my first time seeing him play. Started off a little bit slow in terms of ball possession, but tackled well from the get go and didn't allow the CR forwards any time or space. The odd occassion he came forward in attack he looked good. He was the most complete defender on the field.

Lawrence: suprised me with his performance. I am not a fan of him and was against him being on the team, but I'm happy to write that at least yesterday he proved me wrong. He tackled well, he made his presence felt and positioned himself well for most of the game. I still think he can be a liability since he doesn't anticipate or pass the ball well.

Anton Pierre: was solid throughout. People keep saying he's slow, but he was never out paced by any attacker and was always in position to tackle or intercept longer balls. Doesn't seem like a lack of speed is his problem. His passing can be more consistent, but all in all another good performance from him.

Rojas: not spectacular nor skillful, but he is consistent. He harasses attacking wingers and tackles hard. If he was more skillful he'd actually be a good attacking threat, but with some hard work he can earn a regular spot on the left.

Edwards: was usually in position to receive the ball, but didn't make as much use of it as he should have. The CR left side was always comfortable knowing that he was not going to make them run hard to defend him. He did tackle well and hustled for most of the first half, but to be an effective winger he needed to take on the defense more often. He'd also have been better served to have more support from the inner midfielders as he was occassionally left on the flank by himself with no easy passes to make.

Spann: my player of the first half. He set the tone early for T&T with two hard tackles on CR midfielders. CR never had time to play the ball around in the middle of the park. Besides his strong defensive play he also made good passes coming forward. It's a wonder we've not seen much of him before.

Eve: another player I do not like who suprised me. Worked hard defensively for a change... a welcome one. His freekicks weren't as good as I've seen them and that could have put more pressure on CR. I'd still prefer to see him in the last 30 minutes of the match where I think he can have more impact.

Yorke: he is earning his keep on the team. He's another player putting pressure on the opposition's midfield to good effect. He works well with Spann, makes good passes and anticipates well.

Glenn: didn't use his speed to good effect. Can be a dangerous player running at the defence, but he didn't try to take on the CR at all. With better service from the wings he could have given CR more problems.

John: his ball control is still spot on and he played well in spurts. He seems short of goal scoring touch at the moment though, but if he's the quality striker I think he is he'll come out of that.

Subs -
Sam: brought some energy to the field at a time when we were starting to slow down. Perhaps needed to come on 10 minutes earlier to have a better effect.

Fitzpatrick: seemed to work harder than the U.S. game. Perhaps a bit slow to play out on the wing.

Nigel Pierre: looked dangerous. Should have gotten a bit more power on his header, but he did well to get there. He was willing to do what Glenn was not and that was take on CR defenders.

Overall it was the best game we've played in the qualifiers that I've seen. We gave up some chances to CR, but generally we played them hard and made them work for what they got. Considering the possession we had we should have done more in attack. We kept the ball for longer periods and strung more passes together, but with the more skillful winger, Edwards, collecting the ball square instead of running behind the defenders to receive it we were seldom menacing. The crossing was not good and that could have been the difference between 1-0 in our favour and the point we did get.

If we continue to play the way we did while tightening up on the few mistakes we can actually press for third instead of hoping for forth. Our problem today was not defensive which is a welcome change from the norm. We need to have the confidence to attack as a team and when we get that we'll be a very dangerous team, in particular at home.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 11:59:55 AM »
ahh boy wolfman... welcome back man...

Poison was a nice jump up!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>