March 28, 2024, 10:18:25 AM

Author Topic: Subcontinent wickets are a farce  (Read 734 times)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Subcontinent wickets are a farce
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
I always wonder how many more runs Brian Lara or Ricky Ponting might have scored if they played their home tests on the wickets we often see in India and Sri Lanka.  It is the fourth day of the 2nd test in Colombo and both teams have scored over 600 runs each in the still unfinished 1st innings.  Tendulkar is a great batsman, but these records are ridiculous.  Are these wickets deliberately created for batsmen to score runs?  Most of the first class games seemingly do not have such large scores.  Should the ICC get involved in creating regulations that influence more competitive games?  I am just asking questions here as I wonder about the harm such wickets do to cricket by distorting the record books.

http://www.cricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-india-2010/content/current/story/469825.html

Normal service resumed on the fourth day with bat dominating ball on a placid pitch, after the Sri Lankan spinners had injected life into the Test on the third. India ensured a draw was inevitable, as they overhauled Sri Lanka's first-innings score, with Sachin Tendulkar and Suresh Raina adding to an exhaustive list of milestones achieved in this game. Tendulkar eased to his fifth double-century while Raina became the first Indian batsman since Virender Sehwag in 2001 to score a Test century on debut...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:17:40 PM by Storeboy »
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>