March 28, 2024, 02:57:04 PM

Author Topic: Rougier wants to join Warriors  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rougier wants to join Warriors
« on: October 16, 2005, 08:39:12 AM »
Lincoln Phillips' views on the Mexico game.
By Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation Technical Director Lincoln Phillips has paid tribute to the National Senior team for it's remarkable performance in last Wednesday's 2-1 win over CONCACAF giants Mexico at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
"My heartiest congratulations to our Warriors for a great victorious performance last night.  While I am pleased with the way we played I am not totally surprized  over our performance. While Mexico, Costa Rica and the US are top ranked  teams I have seen our team outplay these teams, albeit for short periods, during our many encounters and lose when we could have gotten a win or tie. I know that we have the ability to possess the ball but we must work on possession of it for longer periods. If we do,  we will win games. And, that's what we did...possess the ball longer!" Phillips told TTFF Media on the weekend.

He added that credit must go to:

"The coach for working constantly on possession exercises and games during all of his sessions. Senior player Dwight Yorke has brought so much maturity (both on and off the field) and poise to the team .....and its beginning to rub off on other players. Dwight's presence in the midfield, even though his performances are not flashy, his presence represents a stabilizing force that was missing in our previous teams.  And when he speaks, everybody listens...because he has been there, done this, done that! Dwight  represents the weight-bearing column in a building...if he is not there the team may not collapse, but they will miss him!!
"Senior player Latapy  has brought another demension to the team in his ability to handle the ball cleanly and manouver (meander) through a maze of pressurizing defenders with effortless ease.
"With these two players in the line up (together) ball possession percentages have gone up considerably!!!

"Aurtis Whitley whose game is now starting to pick up. I am sure  that Dwight and Latapy have had words with Aurtis and he is now coming around to realising his true potential. Before it seemed like he was playing someone else's game. I am glad that he is coming back to himself because that boy has some real talent...as he develops he will cause a lot of trouble for opponents.

"Chris Birchall...not so much for his contribution to ball possession but for his tenacity in regaing ball possession. He is what Dwight/Latapy is not...ball winners! So he brings another dimension to the midfield organization.

"Carlos Edwards for his improved slipperyness (I am making up adjectives)
And. most importantly credit must go to the fact that these four players have been playing together for several games....they are beginning to gell. Even newly incerted Cyd Gray looked good because he came into a "Team".

Good signs:

"We have now won for the first time 2 games in a row in this final round of six. We have broken the jinx of inconsistent performances. When jinxes and droughts (long periods of not scoring) are broken then one can look forward to a period of good fortune....4 wins in a row and hattricks for Stern....This has been my experience after forty years of playing and coaching experience.

Exploring the psychological dimension:

"When dealing with sport performances an athlete can find himself in three time zones: 1. the past; 2. the present and 3. the future. Whenever and athlete hits a bad patch, most times he is not focused on the right thing or he finds himself in the wrong time zone. For example, if a team wins a tough game and the next game is against a very weak opponent, they might relax and lose the game. The reason being that the players were focusing on the past and not the task at hand (the game). This has always been our problem because we never had anyone to handle the situation effectively: In 1967, in the Pan Am games we beat Argentina, Colombia and tied Mexico. We got over confident and bypassed Bermuda and lost 1-3. In 1989...the Strike Squad. Are we talking Deja vu here? I do not think so. We are well fortified to deal with this psychological bogeyman that has plagued us for over three decades. This team has what the other teams did not have: senior players on the field who have been through these experiences. Dwight and Latapy are very well grounded as well as scholar/gentleman/great athlete Shaka Hislop. So from a player perspective the team is well covered to deal with any psychological problem.

The technical staff:

Leo is a true battle hardened warrior. His words after the big win in Panama..." well it is good to have a win but let's get on with Mexico". One knows that this coach did not allow his players to slip into any foolish behaviour. Mike Maurice was part of the Strike Squad and he understands what needs to be done. So, I believe that we are on solid ground inside the team My problem is outside the team environment. We must be careful not to get too anxious and overly happy and do things like purchasing tickets to Germany. The media carries a lot of weight and must be responsible in their reporting. They (the media) are like the technical staff to a team. The media must keep its population grounded. If the wild, hysterical and overconfident reporting gets out of hand, it may affect the population which could easily seep into the team and erode the psychological strength of the players.
"We must understand that in order to win, we must play well....to our potential. If we do we will qualify....one - block- at-a- time! That means that all players, once they assemble for the game all focused, must be on playing their best possible game....for themselves, the team and for their country. We are two games away from qualifying let's not find ourselves in the future...let us all keep our minds on the here and now time zone (the task at hand).
TSTT deal for 'Latas'
By Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago's Scottish-based midfielder Russell Latapy has signed a one-year sponsorship deal with TSTT. Under the terms of the agreement, Latapy, a player/coach with Premier League Scottish side Falkirk, will make appearances and undertake promotions on behalf of TSTT.
In 2004, TSTT agreed to sponsor the national football team, the Warriors, to the tune of $3 million for a two-year period. Additionally, TSTT has attempted to raise $9 million to assist in the team's extensive training programme with the launch of the Go Team text messaging campaign earlier this year.
After resigning from the national squad during this country's 2002 World Cup qualifying campaign, Latapy returned to the fold to revive Trinidad and Tobago's World Cup aspirations on September 3 when T&T eked out a 3-2 win over Guatemala.
Since then, with Latapy in the line-up, the Warriors have registered victories over Panama (1-0) and Mexico (2-1), with their lone setback being a 2-0 defeat in Costa Rica, and have progressed to a home and away play-off with Baharain next month for a place in the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Q&A with Shaka Hislop.
Yellow card danger for 12 Warriors.
By: Nigel Simon (Guardian).
[/size]

Jack Warner, FIFA vice-president and special advisor to the T&T Football Federation is expected to inform the Warriors management on the status of players with yellow cards before the playoff with Bahrain for one of five remaining berths to the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany.
The yellow-card accumulation of the T&T players became the subject of discussion after the Warriors slipped past Mexico 2-1 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, last Wednesday, to clinch the play-off spot in the CONCACAF final round World Cup qualifiers.
It was felt by the T&T management that the cards picked up by the players would be wiped off for the Bahrain matches, while in some quarters it is being stated that the clean slate for the cautioned players will only come into effect if the team qualifies for Germany.
Contacted yesterday, team manager Bruce Anaansen said that he is also unsure of the situation, hence the reason why Mr Warner was asked to get clarification on the matter from Concacaf.
But Ramish Ramdhan, recently retired FIFA referee, told G -Sports last night that the rule as it pertains to yellow cards is that they carry over once the play is in the same competition.
As it stands, T&T players Brent Sancho, Dwight Yorke, Densil Theobald, Avery John, Marvin Andrews, Aurtis Whitley, Brent Rahim, Anton Pierre, Carlos Edwards, Cyd Gray, Kenwyne Jones and Christopher Birchall have all been booked during the two years of qualification matches, dating back to the Caribbean Zone preliminary matches.
These players are therefor in danger of missing the away match to Bahrain on November 16, should they picked up a caution in the November 12 home-leg at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.
If those cards are to carry over, a caution for any one of the above will result in a suspension for the next match.
Bahrain could also be in a spot of bother should FIFA confirm that the cards picked up so far by the players will carry into the two play-off matches.
The Bahranian players who are one card away from automatic suspension are Mohammed Hubal, Saleh Farhan, Hassan Baba, Husain Ahmed, Sayed Adnan, Abdullah Marzooq, Ahmed Taleb, Rased Abdul Rahman and Naser Duaij.
Players who have served one match suspensions already because of two yellow cards, or a red card expulsion, are Salmeen Mohammed (three yellows), Sayed Jalal, Hassan Baba, Talal Mohammed (three yellows) and Husain Mohammed Mohammed.
News from the 16th of October 2005.
Rougier wants to join Warriors.
By Walter Alibey (Newsday).

Former Trinidad and Tobago defender/midfielder Anthony Rougier is hoping for a return to the national team.
Rougier said in a recent interview that he has always been committed to Trinidad and Tobago football and wants to contribute.
The former TT captain has returned home to represent United Petrotrin in the first Toyota Classic Competition after playing for American "A" League outfit Rochester Rhinos.
He will play his first match of the season on Tuesday when the southerners go up against Caledonia AIA Fire at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium.
Petrotrin have just come off a hard-fought 4-3 win over Superstar Rangers in the first round of matches of the Toyota Classic, a result that signalled the return of the top south team.
The 33-year old Rougier intends to prove his worth while playing for Petrotrin, and at the same time, impress national coach, Dutchman Leo Beenhakker with a place in the TT squad well in his mind.
"I am satisfied that I made my contribution to the World Cup campaign and it’s great to see the team doing well" Rougier said.
Trinidad and Tobago earned a place in a play-off when they defeated CONCACAF giants Mexico 2-1 in the final match of the World Cup qualifiers at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on Wednesday.
With the result Trinidad and Tobago earned the right to face Bahrain in a two-match play-off at home and away, for a World Cup berth.
Bahrain play here on November 12 at Mucurapo, and meet again in the return match four days later (November 16) in Bahrain.
"I have always been committed to Trinidad and Tobago and doing whatever I can to assist the national team. It wasn't always easy for me especially when I was playing in China and I had to travel halfway around the world to come back home and play for my country," he said.
The rugged Rougier has been one of the youngest players to make a Trinidad and Tobago team, an achievement that earned him the right to ply his trade internationally for the past decade and more.
"I played for Trinidad and Tobago at under 20 then I made it into the senior squad under ‘Gally’ Cummings. I was just 16 years old at the time and it was a big thrill for me. From there I went to Scotland and then across to England and I have spent ten years as a professional in Britain and two years in China," he said.
His talent undoubtedly will be an asset to the TT team defensively, but with the Warriors "peaking at the right time," he could well find himself on the world’s biggest football stage, come next year, should he get a recall to the national team.
He told Newsday that he has had some difficult times playing internationally but feels he can make an impression in the lives of many- starting in La Brea.
"Those years abroad have taught me a lot and I have seen how football can make a big difference in peoples' lives especially the youngsters. I still have a few years of playing left in me but I want to give something back to the country especially down south where I began my career," he said.
Toyota Classic Football.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).
[/size]

North East Stars and Caledonia AIA Fire both scraped through into the quarter-final round of the Toyota Classic football competition on Friday night.
Stars needed penalty kicks to eliminate a plucky WASA Clean & White 5-4 at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Arima, after both teams battled to a goalless tie at full-time.
And Caledonia edged Police 1-0 at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella. Contrastingly, Defence Force crushed Tobago United 4-1 in the first match of a double-header at Arima while, in the second of back-to-back matches in Marabella, United Petrotrin held off a late rally from Superstar Rangers to prevail 4-3. North East, Caledonia, Defence Force and Petrotrin will join CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, W Connection, Joe Public and Crab Connection in the quarter-finals, scheduled for October 21.
St Lucian forward Titus Elva scored a 52nd minute winner to give Caledonia a narrow victory over the lawmen.
But the second match at Marabella saw a number of twists and turns, with Rangers going ahead in the 37th minute courtesy Akudu Goodridge before Petrotrin responded with four goals in the space of 14 minutes.
Kevon Clement equalised for the "Oil Men" in the 64th while Brent Garcia got Petrotrin’s second goal three minutes later.
Kelvin Hernandez widened the lead to 4-1 with strikes in the 69th and 78th but the match will have one final piece of drama, with veteran midfielder Marc Borde netting twice for Rangers in the 88th and 90th.
Defence Force had little trouble in disposing of Tobago United, courtesy goals from Odelle Armstrong (25th), Ronald St Louis (71st), Kevon Carter (80th) and Devon Jorsling (90th), while Noel Williams got Tobago’s consolation in the 57th.
The North East-WASA match saw gutsy performances by both teams, with North East starting at a furious pace before WASA, coached by former national defender Selris Figaro, crawled back into contention, mainly in the second half.
North East, who have been a shadow of their dominant self last season, recently pulled out of the CONCACAF/CFU Club Championships (they were expected to play SV Robinhood of Suriname in a home-and-away tie this month) due to financial constraints. Even worse, their recent coaching saga which saw Guyanese James McLean fired and then re-hired on an interim basis (alongside ex-national striker Jerren Nixon), looked even more comical on Friday night as club owner and manager Darryl Mahabir shared duties with another national discard Ansil Elcock on the touchlines, with Nixon in the starting XI.
Despite their troubles off the field, North East took advantage of WASA’s timidity in the first half to have clear-cut opportunities — in the 23rd, a clearance from WASA’s defender Kevin Daniel was collected by North East’s captain Charles Pollard, whose 30-metre rocket was saved by Barry Villaroel. In the 42nd, Nixon sent Keryn Navarro free on the left and, with Villaroel committed, squared to Kendall Velox but his left-footer was cleared off the line by another veteran, Anthony Dhanoolal.
WASA’s best moment of the match came in the 52nd, when striker Darin Lewis’ goal-bound run saw the North East defence open up but his pass to Keston Thomas was skied overbar.
Nixon sent his right-footer high in the 64th while Velox was again unlucky when Daniel cleared his deflected effort off the line two minutes.
In the end, kicks from the penalty spot were required, with Lewis’ miss proving costly for WASA. Velox, Fabien Garcia, Shervin Charles, Anthony Wolfe and Navarro scored from the spot while Kien Hernandez, David George, Billydee Scantlebury and Kirth Hutchings netted for WASA.

Toyota Classic Scores:

Defence Force 4 v Tobago United 1
North East Stars 0 v WASA Clean & White 0 (NE Stars win 5-4 on penalties)
Caledonia AIA Fire 1 v Police 0
United Petrotrin 4 v Superstar Rangers 3
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 04:00:49 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Rougier wants to join Warriors
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 08:57:53 AM »
After the years of magnificent service...a trial eh go hurt...he might add depth in defense.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 09:36:54 AM »
Bring him back,

He could provide cover in any poisiton, even for Stern. ;)

He was a step or two off in the USA game but he could be an addition to this team.

But for now the side that face Guat,Panama and Mexico must be retained and should be the core.

If injury or suspension arisies then take a look at him.

I feel he could make beenie squad............he have a better touch and level of composure on the ball that them others who on the fringes doe have. Plus he could rest a hard jam in yuh tail.....something that is lacking amonst the rest of the midfielder, with the exception of Birchall.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 09:39:11 AM »
Jes now yuh go see Alvin beggin Beenie fuh a run.  Corneal....not Thomas.  But KND was right....nuff people go come out de woodwork now & not jes supporters....especially if we qualify.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 10:23:27 AM »
Rougier could give Birchall some competition.
We eh really have no cover for that type of player who running down ball stopping men in midfield.

He go real hadda impress though and his fitness would be important.

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 10:58:49 AM »
First Angus wah sweat, now Rougier, just now dwarika, Brian Williams and Marvin Faustin. I agree that the way former players are treated is horrendous, and a lot has to be changed in that regard but nuff man need to forget sweating for de warriors.

The way forward is with youths who show sufficient promise and can benefit from the professional appraoch of the coaching staff.

There should be no pick based on past merit. Man have to prove themselves if they want to play.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 11:04:34 AM »
Quote from: truthseeker link=topic=5064.msg39003#msg39003  date=1129481929
First Angus wah sweat, now Rougier, just now dwarika, Brian Williams and Marvin Faustin. I agree that the way former players are treated is horrendous, and a lot has to be changed in that regard but nuff man need to forget sweating for de warriors.

The way forward is with youths who show sufficient promise and can benefit from the professional appraoch of the coaching staff.

There should be no pick based on past merit. Man have to prove themselves if they want to play.

I 100% BACK THIS STTEMENT :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 11:10:41 AM »
If professionalism is one criteria for inclusion on this present Warriors' team, then it would seem like  former players , regardless of skill, talent or form, need to demonstrate that they indeed still are able to contribute in a positive way that would help this team.

At this time, I would not like to see the chemistry being tampered with too much; the team finally has some cohesion and understanding of the individual parts.

No longer are players simply excluded for the style of hair or if they are from certain regions or if they are local compared to foreign based. Ther seems to be a good mix and understanding of  the professional attitude needed to play under Beenie!!!!!

As fans we questioned the inclusion of certain players who we thought were not up to standard, after the Mexcio game we witnessed the growth and upliftment in those same players game. Not that these are the most skilled ot talented players but I beleive that wthatever qualities they bring to the team, the coach obviously was aware of it.

The level and demands of this game is not only about talent, surfice to say there are other qualities which must  be adhered to in order to  garner successs. I say at this time let's not tamper with what we have going.

At the point where we may be looking ahead, we may then start a more comprehensive evaluation of possible players.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 11:13:45 AM »
big yes to big tony .....de man have a big heart and always loyal...and is a good player...utility one also....we cant compare that usa game on ash wed to de mans ability....i say don leo should take a look and then well whatever he says ..then so be it....good luck tony.....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 12:03:34 PM »
If/when we qualify for Germany after/if we beat Bahrain Beenie go have some months to prepare this time for World Cup I cant wait to see how they play after a lengthy training camp.  I say bring it bout 24 men and let them go at it in training and scrimages, i feel the level of competition will be so high with guys trying to impress Beenie we may not even need any friendlies before Germany (just kidding) That will be Rougier, Wise, Eve and others chance to possibly make the squad

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 12:13:10 PM »
Mr.Mc,

That would be ideal if and when that time comes. All the Trins we have playing all over should be invited to come down for some  camps, training sessions and leh we play a whole heap of friendleis aganist regional teams and select some  players who could be on the team.

Much is at stake but I eh want tuh start this premature planning talk. We still have a two game hurdle  to get over!!!!!!

I eh building coop until ah see chickens

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 07:10:22 PM »
Rougier would have to justify his selection by his performances on the field, not his reputation and history.  Talk done.

Offline troy piloy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 07:28:12 PM »
What allya worried about we all know that Beenie Man dont care who u have to prove yourself to get on the team. Plus u need to have the right attitude ask Cornell Glenn
Senior Advisor to AWATT's Intelligence Unit

TrinInfinite

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 08:04:19 PM »
rougier is a boss, but honestly i rather see a youth play instead or another player like glenn

1]; } ?>