March 28, 2024, 04:16:35 PM

Author Topic: On our way to Hawaii  (Read 4475 times)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
On our way to Hawaii
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
In the LA area right now on my way to Maui with young Joshua Romany. We are going to Junior Pan Pacific Swimming Championships, a meet which the US and Australia have prioritised as higher than the youth Olympics and will be very fast. Josh is a 14 year old who will be competing against the best 18 and under swimmers from the pacific rim and the rest of asia and the americas. It is his first big meet and we are simply attempting to get his feet wet, so to speak, at this level. Anyone in the LA area who looking to lime, I will be here until Monday afternoon. We going down to Irvine Aquatic Center to cheer on George this afternoon when he races World Record Holder Ceasar Cielo in the Senior meet in the 50 today.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: On our way to Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:31:01 PM »
will be cheering, good luck

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »

I 2 jealous 2 cheer Hawaii d man goin. Ah rite good luck
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »

He in Hawaii, U have T&T, wha yuh kinda prayer yuh go say for we to keep we on the up & up.. :'(
I does just Thank good for the lilbit I have yes, I coulda be born in Yukon, and hah to make meself happy with polar bear & caribou....btw ah see ah hummingbird lastweek(no joke), an I settle for that, even doh next day it drop to 10...ah wonder if it was heading down your side ?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:01:03 PM »

He in Hawaii, U have T&T, wha yuh kinda prayer yuh go say for we to keep we on the up & up.. :'(
I does just Thank good for the lilbit I have yes, I coulda be born in Yukon, and hah to make meself happy with polar bear & caribou....btw ah see ah hummingbird lastweek(no joke), an I settle for that, even doh next day it drop to 10...ah wonder if it was heading down your side ?

Yeah I hear it go b another cold 1. I just want 2 go Hawaii a dream I have.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »

yuh see if yuh did start swimming, all now yuh mighta be assisting Swima....oops ah think he just get hooked up...well all now yuh mighta reach   :rotfl:  Seriously doh, ah hear it not only expensive to get dey, buh it expensive too...so go right now and buy ah lottery, when yuh win, remember who send yuh!  ;)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 08:43:55 PM »

yuh see if yuh did start swimming, all now yuh mighta be assisting Swima....oops ah think he just get hooked up...well all now yuh mighta reach   :rotfl:  Seriously doh, ah hear it not only expensive to get dey, buh it expensive too...so go right now and buy ah lottery, when yuh win, remember who send yuh!  ;)

Real expensive evryting bout Hawaii expensie. As 4 d lotto might quicker hop a ride on AirForce 1 when next d Prez goin home.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:37:41 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

add: *like she blank Wim boy*
                                       :justkidding:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:40:36 AM by maxg »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »
Meet starts tomorrow. Here in Maui, it is really nice. I must say that USA swimming goes all out for comfort. Hopefully some good news to report tomorrow. He is the youngest male swimmer at the meet, so we know he will be challenged.

Max, I met with Pierre La Fontaine yesterday... Canada's technical director of swimming. Really nice guys. Wifey done tell me to ask him for a job haha. Maybe after the meet is done he might be the one offering yuh boy a wuk.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 07:03:48 AM »

U late yuh eh hear is Patos is meh new squeeze.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »
Meet starts tomorrow. Here in Maui, it is really nice. I must say that USA swimming goes all out for comfort. Hopefully some good news to report tomorrow. He is the youngest male swimmer at the meet, so we know he will be challenged.

Max, I met with Pierre La Fontaine yesterday... Canada's technical director of swimming. Really nice guys. Wifey done tell me to ask him for a job haha. Maybe after the meet is done he might be the one offering yuh boy a wuk.
Nice...never met the man - to big for me - but wuk wise, tell him yuh hear Mtl is beginning to be the place to be for swimming next year -hosting age group & Snr Nationals 2011...he from here. points dey...then hit him with yuh know 3 kids who will be on the Quebec prospect team next year and yuh hear Pierre Cloutier seems to be very hands on at many meets....3 pointer...yuh heard DDO is an small but aspiring club, that needs a development coach - he into overhauling and improving the National program- 4 point play and finally do it all in French (a la Alliance Francais - that still opposite Deluxe?), yuh in like Flint... 8)  ;D

Good luck, ah see the boy doing the 3 Frees, all the best...but 2 to 3 years younger than everybody else is ruff, best time is a prize, beating ppl B final is bonus, medalling, too freaky, too early but plenty time for that

WHAT..Dem does promote yuh fast fast...or dey callin dat ah lateral ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:14:45 AM by maxg »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »

Nice...never met the man - to big for me - but wuk wise, tell him yuh hear Mtl is beginning to be the place to be for swimming next year -hosting age group & Snr Nationals 2011...he from here. points dey...then hit him with yuh know 3 kids who will be on the Quebec prospect team next year and yuh hear Pierre Cloutier seems to be very hands on at many meets....3 pointer...yuh heard DDO is an small but aspiring club, that needs a development coach - he into overhauling and improving the National program- 4 point play and finally do it all in French (a la Alliance Francais - that still opposite Deluxe?), yuh in like Flint... 8)  ;D

Good luck, ah see the boy doing the 3 Frees, all the best...but 2 to 3 years younger than everybody else is ruff, best time is a prize, beating ppl B final is bonus, medalling, too freaky, too early but plenty time for that

WHAT..Dem does promote yuh fast fast...or dey callin dat ah lateral ?

Nah dat was an upward move. Remember he have pension 4 life while Wim still owed by d TTFF.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
true dat..  ;D :rotfl:

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »
So he broke the 200 freestyle record twice yesterday, and was 7th in the b final. Swan the 100 this morning and missed the A final by .06, but still broke the national record and is in the mix in the B final tonight. Looking forward to a bigger drop tonight. After that, just the 50 on Sunday. Max, for reference he was 1:55.68 in the 200 and this morning in the prelims of the 100 he was 52.36. Not bad for a 14 year old.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »
 :wavetowel: :wavetowel: that is just phenominal...he has begun what might be one of the most difficult time of his swim career, aging, training, developing, and what might be hardest of all, waiting and stay focused...to bad it doh officially have sport scholarships here, ah sure doh Pierre La Fontaine would like him to be around his athletes year round and could offer something educational, but Canada cannot compete with US in the possible financial incentives.....however it way easier to stay focused in Canada...Canada lost a lot of swimmers to the American program..i.e. they went on scholarships, came back slightly disillusioned, some felt over used, as the emphasis was for their teams to win, and develop their athletes, not develop them...ask La Fontaine about that , If he feels losing athletes to the American University programs greatly affects the development of Canada's swim programs and success ?...It work for some,I doh think for all...doh I bet Romany will do good anywhere he go,- scared to think of what he could be doing in 3, 4 years - the question rest - to you maybe, how does his successes improve TT program ? and as a phenom now, where is he located , if he is breaking National records, he needs to be surround by faster fish to speed up..where would that be now ? where you & the other TT coaches have to get him to be with faster fish, when no one in TT his age are doing those times..tuff call, cause it's a person upbring and character u guys have to decide for..agree on with the parents and athlete, and finally accept...management is the key..historically doh, somebody decided around the same ages for all the Phelps and dem ....and things ent turn out that bad...at least for the few phenoms who made it....but plenty many didn't ! Your trick TTswimfederation, if you choice to accept it, is to not be one of those many who didn't, and reap(learn) the strength of the experience from such a lad, as he becomes a man...the thread will self destruct, after 2016 Olympics, and National program evaluated after 2020 games.. ;D  Go Romany, Go Swima, GO TT

add: he break the Canadian Age group 100 record too and just miss the 200...ah go freak for the 50 record(23.95),ah feeling he have it ...

ah see ah see... 23.77 ,  :wavetowel: :wavetowel:...we nned some smileys with ah wine something...yeahhh, he still have final before ah takin d drink...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:01:20 PM by maxg »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 09:52:24 AM »
Only now catching up with this - well done to the young man!  :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »
 :beermug:

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »
Back in Trini this afternoon after 18 hours of travel. A little exhausted, but to put his 50 in perspective:

PRESS RELEASE

Romany ranked among world's best 14yr olds

Joshua Romany finished 8th in the A Final of the 50 metre freestyle in 24 seconds flat at the Junior Pan Pacific Championships in Hawaii, Sunday night (TT Time). This was the final swim for Romany and the first swim where he did not establish a new National Record. The event was won by Kenneth To of Australia in 22.49 seconds.

By virtue of his preliminaries performance, Romany became the first 14 & under T & T swimmer to go under 24 seconds in the 50 metre freestyle, with a new national record of 23.77. The significance of this achievement is understated by the fact that only two American fourteen year olds have ever gone under 24 seconds in a 50m free. Jason Cobb back in 1997 established a time of 23.52, while Noel Strauss in 1987 went 23.81 (source usaswimming.org).

This means only one 13-14 male American in the history of swimming has gone faster than young Romany. Romany's time of 23.77 is also faster than the 13-14 National Records of Britain, South Africa and Canada. His time is definitely one of the world's fastest swims in 2010 by a 14 year old, as his mark is faster than Australia's best time of the year in the age group which is 24.20 seconds and the American time of 24.07.

Romany, the youngest male athlete at the Championships, had a successful meet establishing 13-14 national records in the 50, 100m and 200m freestyle.

Early days and we have already put it behind us. Time to move on and get into some training come next week. He told me in the airport in Maui, that he now realizes that he has to step up his training in order to really make an impact. All that is needed is the follow through on that promise.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 08:06:07 PM »
don't overtrain doh...what is the current schedule like ? I was looking at stingray for eg., and see dem 13 &O swimmers doing like 9 sessions(20.5) ah week as is...Here our age grp(15 hrs) to snrs(20) do progressively increasing hours by age (ah know we boring in Canada eh!), as there are other basic aspects that must be taken care off, the kids have to learn to live...so when you say up training, if possible can I get an idea like how - ah realize details are not pratical at this time - but just an idea....I know here, there are still quite a few who burn out as it is..I have been trying to help re-focus one guy this summer (Lilman Idol), and been paying attention to another who just came back on the National scene - he held almost every age group record in our summer pool, at the provincial level, and still owns some Canadian National 13-14 records (100 &200bk and 200 & 400 Im) & similar 15-17 records.....and end up doing the scholarship route..and boom, he start wobbling, barely making Beijing and had some uninspired stuff and finally crash right out...only now trying to get it together again...Tobias Oriwol, he was the guy who came back home for summer regional finals and presented lilman with his first ever competition medal - whey ah put that pic boy -, especially as lilman was from his own local pool and now setting sites on his local records ...So with the amount of training you swimmers do, when yuh say Up-training, I does get frighten, I eh go lie.....nb: my studies were in Exercise Science, doh other than coach I hardly worked in the field...so i'm interested/curious in all coaching/athlete aspects....ah mean ah know everybody excited and thing eh...but at this point is it absolutely necessary to change much ?  Give meh yuh take please
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:08:50 PM by maxg »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »
I deal with standards more than yardage. Challenge yourself to be better than you were last season, and swim maybe a little bit more, but not a lot more. So as an example, I get guys going on a particular interval, and then drop it by 5 seconds per hundred or 10 seconds per 200. It helps me to see a direct line of improvement in the swimmers I coach. In addition to that, we increase the intensity of strength training as a group, and get into more stroke specific strengthening. As he and others get older the goal is to have them train at a level that is expected among the worlds top swimmers so that they can compete with them. We cannot let them train at that level now or there will be nothing to progress to when that time comes.

We do 9 sessions a week with our 13 and overs. Total time for training per week is 17.5 hours. That is with both strength and pool work.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
thanks Swima, noted... :thumbsup:

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 04:48:59 AM »