April 26, 2024, 11:01:27 AM

Author Topic: Lawyer shot in face  (Read 1555 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Lawyer shot in face
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:27:27 PM »
Lawyer shot in face
By Akile Simon
It was jus announced that this woman died from her injuries so sad now the young children have to deal with this bullshit .

"OH my God. Oh Jesus Christ, I can't believe this! No. Just two weeks ago I saw her in my court. I can't believe this has happened."

These were the words of Magistrate Halcyon Yorke-Young, treasurer of the Magistrates' Association of Trinidad and Tobago, after she was told an attorney who practised in her court was shot and seriously wounded.

Nofritari Montrose, 38, police said, remained in a serious condition at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope last evening, after she was shot in the face and back on Monday evening in Arima.

Police investigating the incident described it as a hit. They said there were no signs it was random or a robbery, since the attackers did not take anything from the victim.

The Express understands that Montrose, a mother of five, had previously sought a protection order against a relative.

Montrose, an attorney who practises at the Tunapuna Magistrates' Court, was ambushed outside a friend's home at Paul Mitchell Street, near the Santa Rosa Community Centre, Arima, where she was staying. Staff at the court also expressed horror over the incident.

No one was at home yesterday when the Express visited the residence. There were blood stains on the stairs. A sign that was posted on the door of Montrose's office at the corner of Freeling Street and the Eastern Main Road, Tunapuna, stated the office was closed.

Her husband, Martin Montrose, is also an attorney based in Sangre Grande. Attempts to reach him were unsuccessful, as a telephone number in the directory which listed his office at Ojoe Road in Sangre Grande was out of service.

In a phone interview yesterday, Yorke-Young said she was saddened over the incident, which had come very close to home.

"I am appalled by this incident and I'm still shock over it. Right now I am at the Tobago Magistrates' Court, but I still preside in Tunapuna. I'm going to call them (Tunapuna court) now to find out more about this. She's a fine attorney who practises in my court all the time. I even know her husband before she (Montrose) became an attorney," Yorke-Young said.

Police investigating the incident said around 7.45 p.m., Montrose arrived at the residence in her vehicle. Two men approached and opened fire on her as she got out. As the victim fell to the ground, the men fled the scene.

Police said the woman, who was left for dead in the driveway near her vehicle, managed to drag herself up a flight of stairs leading to the house and collapsed in the porch.

Montrose's friend was alerted by a crashing sound in the porch and found the victim bleeding from the face and back. She was taken to the Arima District Hospital, treated and transferred to Mt Hope.

Supt Samuel Bullen, Sgt Kirt Samuel, Cpl Jones and PC Phillip visited the scene and are continuing investigations.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lawyer shot in face
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
Yeh i remember this story well. it's ah shame that ppl in our society have tuh resort to the gun tuh settle all disputes. and the sad part about it is, absolutely no one is safe from the hands of the lawless, not even high rankin officials.

nowadays in trinidad, seems like yuh have tuh walk ah straight line and avoid all negative contacts with ppl BC yuh don't know who is who. it's like yuh can't even go to a public event and free up yuh self BC yuh eh know the monster from the harmless since they all look alike and does mingle together.

it's sad tuh see how the previous administration eh do nutten tuh curb this growing lawless culture. they just turned ah blind eye and left it up to fate.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>