April 19, 2024, 08:30:12 AM

Author Topic: The Safety In T&T Thread  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
The Safety In T&T Thread
« on: August 22, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
Forumites,

We have plenty crime and news etc...let this thread be an educational one. I propose that everyone post a piece of advice on how to keep safe when going about your everyday business. Many of us have been victims of crime and this thread can help people be aware...it is not meant for people to be paranoid but just alert.

I will start.

(*) Each and every day say your prayers and ask for guidance and protection...when yuh reach back home safe...pray again and give thanks for making it tru another day.

1) In POS do not take our your phone and walk about talking...it will get snatched.

2) By extension do not wear any excessive jewelry or flash cash. Use cards instead.everybody have linx.

3) Put yuh bags, laptop etc in the trunk of your car and dont leave anything visible.

4) When a spranger bothers you to "watch" yuh car....in some instances it better yuh pay him the 5$ and tell him Bless instead of coming back and finding your side mirror, headlights etc missing....or just tell him you will pay him when yuh come back. If he is still there and yuh car safe...waz a lil 5$....if is a different spranger tell him yuh pay he partner already.

5) Do not park up around the savannah, chancellor, st clair, macqueripe, foreshore or any other lonely place to bull. Do that home or pay for a room.

6) Doh give no vagrant in town nuttin...if one see that you sharing about 3-5 more will tackle you by the next corner.

7) When a Vagrant asks for "assistance"....tell him "yes certainly...once it doh involve money or a phone call"...yuh will get a hard stare or a cuss but the botheration gorn.

8)Vary the times and routes you take to go home...always remember the streets are watching.

9) When driving in traffic, keep your windows up. Phones, Chains, watches etc get snatched.

10) Late at night...time a traffic light so you dont have to make a dead stop or wait too long.

11) Always have your phone charged or money on your phone.

12)Ladies try not to use "ph" taxi...if unavoidable, use a familiar car or one with identifiable marking e.g a name on a windscreen. Also do not get into a car with 4 man watching you.

13) Try always to not sit in the middle passenger seat of a car, make some kinda excuse and get a door seat.

14) Doh answer no phone in a taxi.

15) Make friends with your neighbours and let them keep a eye out for you.

16) Watch all cable people, those who installing phone, people checking meter, men cutting grass, yard boy etc with a eagle eye. Dont let people in your premises without getting all their info and look at id and make a call to the company from your phone. Dont use their cell or ring any number they give you.

17) When you in the grocery do not keep your purse in your trolley unnattended, from the time you dip to pick up something...dat gone.

18) Go party in groups, park under a light or pay for safe parking.

19) Doh ketch it in said party and be shifting...once you look like a easy target they coming....by extension ladies...a group of you looking good and clueless is ting for people to follow you home.

20) Be familiar with the police stations in your area...if you are followed drive up to the nearest one.

21) when going to the beach...leave a member on the sand to keep an eye or watch your bags good when yuh in the water. Granted the bandits have a headstart on you if they snatch and grab. Watch out for las cuevas on the end with the sand track...bandits lurk there. and doh play yuh going tyrico bay or damiens bay or any other lil cove in the night or during the week during funny hours by yourself.

22) If a bandit decide is your time...just give him the wallet, watch, keys etc....and run. Material things can be replaced.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 06:48:46 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: The Safety In T&T Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »
has crime increased since pp get in power? are you seeing any differences bc when i home i  always look out for these things mentioned

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:28:22 PM »
Good post Touches, I ent shame to say that some ah dem things woulda never occur to me to do/not do when visiting.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
Excellent post Touches. :beermug:

23. Not everyone that comes to your door is a police officer. You have the right to ask for a warrant.
24. When you going to a party, know how you coming back home.
25. Avoid pulling out large sums of money in public to pay for an item. In fact have your money scatter all over your person.
26. If your car shuts down on some street/highway, stay in your car and call police and a relative. This one goes to both sexes.
27. To be sure that someone is following you, go into a store and hang around or just stop abruptly - turn around and make eye contact.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:26:13 PM »
28. Always check 2 c dat evrybody reach home. Let peeps call 2 c dat dy reach.

29 Doh use d ATM in d nite.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »
30. invest in a me 2. for me instead of havin my 'good phone' out in d open, i use my me 2 when i in a taxi, party etc

31. in reference to no 12., i have no choice but to use PH transport, cuz daiz d kinda cars that mostly run d morvant route. what i do on most occasions is text d number plate and d colour of d car im gettin into, to a relative

32. if in a party, ladies, dont take drinks from strangers or leave your drinks unattended.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
So men snatching yuh phone now while yuh talking on it....wheyyy dread

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »
5) Do not park up around the savannah, chancellor, st clair, macqueripe, foreshore or any other lonely place to bull. Do that home or pay for a room.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: They does still do that?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
33) When driving in flooded areas be wary of people asking to help you to help push your car. They work in groups and put their hand on your muffler, blocking the exhaust and causing your car to stall. They then ask you for a $100 to help you push it to a safe place.

34) When a imps tries to stop suddenly in front of you on the road driving or runs into the back of you to make you stop and come out your car...take any info and drive directly to the nearest police station.

35) Time to avoid POS before 9 am. Between 12-2 and when it gets dark. The Bandits operate at these hrs. Many business places shut down for lunch or are especially wary between 12-2. This is when people are on lunch doing errands and this is when the "career" bandits wake up to go about interfering with people. They are like Jumbies and go to sleep in the day, they stay up late watching their blocks or doing mischief at night.

36) Note that most Vagrants also sleep during day hours until 12.This is when they are safe. At night they themselves have to be on guard for bandits so they stay up until daylight hrs. This includes street children as well.

37) Do not let anyone borrow your ATM card to open the door for them. Also do not let someone knocking the door enter the atm booth with you. Finish your transaction and then allow them to enter on your way out.

38) Keep your atm balance safe, tear the slip before you put it in the bin or do not take a slip. The person in line behind might like your bank account more than you.

39) Avoid Charlotte Street after 5 pm, anything east of Frederick street and anything west of St Vincent Street

40) If you get bumped while walking. Doh play like yuh ent feel nuttin and continue normal. Stop, change direction, walk into a store, do something. Most pick pocketers in town work in a group of two or three and feel out the victims first before doing the deed. All are usually armed with some kinda weapon. I have seen countless purse snatchings, chain and earing rip offs and pick pockets in action on duke street and charlotte street. Once while watching a fella told me to hush my mouth and walk and I ent see nuttin...when I look at him he raised up his jersey showed me a gun in his waist and told me ride. Believe a block later another total stranger tell me I ent see nuttin and to keep walking.(it was 3 of them operating, I and all was lucky that day)

41) When you in the stadium (uncovered), watch out for the youths that lean up against the railings by the steps. They usually mix near among the vendors as well and try to congest the passageway forcing you to squeeze past. They snatch chains when you going up and down the stairs or pick your pocket. Use the stair cases near the 18 yard box or behind the goalposts...these are less crowded or go covered stands where security tighter. ( I know real people personally who lose jewelery and wallet in our road to Germany campaign right there)

42) Ladies be careful at carnival time when you go to pee behind people house, behind car, in bush etc.

43) Be aware of panel vans parked next to your car.

44) Lock your doors immediately upon entering your car, and check your backseat when entering your vehicle...you doh know who liming and waiting for you.

45) Invest in car search, a good immobilizer, gas lock or multilock for your car. It helps with insurance premiums too.

46) If you come off a cruise ship, there is a group of youths that may try to give you a free bandana, bracelet or cheap chain free. They attempt to even put the jewelery on you or tie the bandana in a scarf or headband. DO NOT ACCEPT These "Free" gifts....these are "victim" markers. They allow you to walk in town, they scope you out and rob you when you walking back to the ship.

47) No the Queens Park Savannah, Zoo, Hollows and Lady Chancellor is not safe...you cannot sit down on a bench and pips a ting when it gets dark or play you buying a coconut and strolling after 8pm. Your car, personal belongings and even you can be violated. Be careful when exercising, run with a group or get familiar with the regulars.

48) For the early morning Savannah excercisers...4-6 am group. Be aware when they have fetes and concerts in the Savannah. An undesirable element usually hangs around these shows and look for mischief. A coworker of mine had to change savannah running direction fast one morning.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:02:56 PM by Touches »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »
WOW! Place sound real scary boi! Simple things you take for granted. Does this list hold true for all of Trinidad and Tobago?

I really have to change my ways when I visit.. I guess I've been lucky to date, cause I'm guilty of doing many of these.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:49 AM »
How about just exercise common sense.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »

It ent so common...

thais why people need guidelines... and why we need rules and laws and order in society
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 10:23:32 AM »

Touches list (and others) is a good list... how is knowing which stairs to take in the stadium "common sense"?  Like Jumbie say, many of these is things man wouldn't automatically think of doing.  Man wouldn't know not be walking around PoS between 12-2 because dem is favored bandit hours.  Not saying what Touches saying is gospel, but assuming that there's truth to it, it good to know what to be on the lookout for.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »

It ent so common...

thais why people need guidelines... and why we need rules and laws and order in society

FF boy I agree with yuh.  How de arse men getting robbed of $2, $3 $5,000 and more in this day and age??!!  Linx and Credit card are my 2 best friends. 

I heard a woman recount a story bout how she notice a vehicle following she AND SHE STILL drive straight home and of course get jack up by she gate.....

For a place dat full ah crime ppl does still move vykie vie...but say wha...dais how we is right??.... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »
WOW! Place sound real scary boi! Simple things you take for granted. Does this list hold true for all of Trinidad and Tobago?

I really have to change my ways when I visit.. I guess I've been lucky to date, cause I'm guilty of doing many of these.

ent?!! I went home in 02, 04, 06 ...you know how much ah dem rule I break...good ting ah does keep  horseshoe in mih pocket
de place get wuss or wha?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

Touches list (and others) is a good list... how is knowing which stairs to take in the stadium "common sense"?  Like Jumbie say, many of these is things man wouldn't automatically think of doing.  Man wouldn't know not be walking around PoS between 12-2 because dem is favored bandit hours.  Not saying what Touches saying is gospel, but assuming that there's truth to it, it good to know what to be on the lookout for.

I am not saying its not a good and very informative thread with noble intentions.

Now do I think that some of the points mentioned might be stretching it a bit? Maybe....

In this day and age I find nobody should have to tell a big man not to go a fete or walk in town flexing a big gold chain and bling. Or walk around a big stack of cash, or take a shortcut down Nelson Street in yuh best looking work clothes to catch the taxi stand. Or just in general do anything to attract undue attention onto him/herself..

By all means take the necessary precautions and steps and keep aware of yuh surroundings at all times. But what is the point of walking around always antsy and jumpy at everything and anybody in yuh immediate surroundings? Whats the point of really living so?

In any case, if its one thing I learn is that the easiest way to attract harm unto oneself is to exude Fear.. That does come off yuh like a bad scent and is the easiest way to fall victim.

Say yuh prayers, ask the Man above for protection and go about yuh business.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »
All of the above are  Applicable.

Might I also suggest....

intuition (when yuh feel something aint right just ride)

knowing how to play dotish when yuh have to(using tact)

if ah man hit yuh ah hard slap (humble yourself-dont retaliate) walk brother walk
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
49. Buy a gun and learn to use it.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:43 AM »
Omar...not every body have common sense or street sense.

Many people never take a taxi in they life, walk about in town or they still living in a bubble. Doh feel Movietown, West Mall or Trincity ent areas men getting rob cause it happening there normal too.

Again this thread is not to scare anyone, but just to keep people aware. Most people leave TT when they were younger and ent see the place since. Or they bringing wife, family, college buddies, new fiancee children etc.

It is better to learn from other people mistake, than to experience it yourself.

I have made all those who read this post aware...and if you have made it through another day in TT safe well God bless you and give thanks.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »
I am not saying its not a good and very informative thread with noble intentions.

Now do I think that some of the points mentioned might be stretching it a bit? Maybe....

In this day and age I find nobody should have to tell a big man not to go a fete or walk in town flexing a big gold chain and bling. Or walk around a big stack of cash, or take a shortcut down Nelson Street in yuh best looking work clothes to catch the taxi stand. Or just in general do anything to attract undue attention onto him/herself..

By all means take the necessary precautions and steps and keep aware of yuh surroundings at all times. But what is the point of walking around always antsy and jumpy at everything and anybody in yuh immediate surroundings? Whats the point of really living so?

In any case, if its one thing I learn is that the easiest way to attract harm unto oneself is to exude Fear.. That does come off yuh like a bad scent and is the easiest way to fall victim.

Say yuh prayers, ask the Man above for protection and go about yuh business.

Yeah, some of what he saying is common sense... but most of it isn't.

Also, I don't think he saying walk around feeling antsy... just keep yuh eye open and know what to look for.  If the price of vigilance is the sad realization that yuh can't walk around town distracted by happy memories (as I was after my first trip back in almost 20 yrs in 2006) then so be it.  As Jumbie say, I feeling lucky to know that I was that naive and oblivious and still escape without ah story to tell.

I think judging from the majority of the responses that what he's saying is resonating with people... if as he say you have all dat street sense and bless enough to make it through unscathed then give thanks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:51:10 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
All of the above are  Applicable.

Might I also suggest....

intuition (when yuh feel something aint right just ride)
point :thumbsup:

knowing how to play dotish when yuh have to(using tact)

I find dat approach does give dem more courage to come at yuh, I does try not to appear timid or intimated, but doh do like yuh ready for action......stay cool or try to look it, if yuh have to talk, try not to sound stressed, an' doh loose eye contact, if is more dan one ah dem ah broad even gaze could work

if ah man hit yuh ah hard slap (humble yourself-dont retaliate) walk brother walk

being handicapped, I had my fair share of bullies growin up, an' develop ah seething hate for dem an' people dat come of like dat, so I does find it hard to jus back down

I pity the fool....

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »
49. Buy a gun and learn to use it.

ah hear hafeez Karamath family had some for sale
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »
give praise everyday yuh alive. good points but when yuh have faith and belly, yuh dont live in fear, the ghetto not easy these days back home. street sense is learned and thought from people who know the deal. since i was 10 years old going back home and before ive always been told the dos and donts by my father, so 90% is not new to me or too many who have had a similar upbringing. however it is good of touches to take his time to let men know some new tricks on the street, bc there forever evolving 

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
Maybe one of the mods should put a sticky on this thread? 8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »
Touches , apparently these rules ain't for weary since she does go tuh chuch in 2nd calidonia better known as vegas/ gangland all hrs of the night and nutten doh jump off wid she. ah guess it's for all the rest of us sorry saps who eh have no streets sense and doh know how tuh move. after all, where more dangerous than vegas @ night?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:00:34 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »
Anybody have the DOMA advisories that they send out?

I used to get them and delete them but they would be applicable to this thread. If anyone can post them they would be appreciated.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »
Touches , apparently these rules ain't for weary since she does go tuh chuch in 2nd calidonia better known as vegas/ gangland all hrs of the night and nutten doh jump off wid she. ah guess it's for all the rest of us sorry saps who eh have no streets sense and doh know how tuh move. after all, where more dangerous than vegas @ night?

U CONTINUE 2 SHOW YUHSELF 2B A COMPLETE FOOL. LET ME  :applause: U 4 CONSISTENCY.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 11:21:50 PM »
Just dress, walk, and move around like a plain-clothes police officer like me. Well im built like one too.  That's why i never been a crime victims in my life. Its not luck, is just i dont dress, move chupid and go to chupid places to get rob. People always mistake me for a plainclothes police or army man because I'm fit, always with a serious face, and sometimes wear shades.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:25:21 PM by Babalawo »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 04:39:30 AM »
Just dress, walk, and move around like a plain-clothes police officer like me. Well im built like one too.  That's why i never been a crime victims in my life. Its not luck, is just i dont dress, move chupid and go to chupid places to get rob. People always mistake me for a plainclothes police or army man because I'm fit, always with a serious face, and sometimes wear shades.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Babalawo, ah not sure if yuh serious, but what a girl like me supposed to do.  I will never look like this description here....ah cyar conjure up a serious "police" face even if I tried..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 06:04:08 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Babalawo, ah not sure if yuh serious, but what a girl like me supposed to do.  I will never look like this description here....ah cyar conjure up a serious "police" face even if I tried..... ;D

Wring up yuh face brownsugar, dey mite tink yuh is a baddest yuhself  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>