March 29, 2024, 01:35:18 AM

Author Topic: Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse - Dec. 21  (Read 1589 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse - Dec. 21
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »
Once in about 400-500 year event - a total lunar eclipse that occurs on the Winter Solstice.  Everybody get naked and dance around the favorite obelisk of your choice and pay homage to the gods.

The December 21 lunar eclipse will be visible to observers in North America and western South America.

NASA Info

Early in the morning on December 21 a total lunar eclipse will be visible to sky watchers across North America (for observers in western states the eclipse actually begins late in the evening of December 20), Greenland and Iceland. Viewers in Western Europe will be able to see the beginning stages of the eclipse before moonset, and in western Asia the later stages of the eclipse will be visible after moonrise.

From beginning to end, the eclipse will last about three hours and twenty-eight minutes. For observers on the east coast of the U.S. the eclipse lasts from 1:33am EST through 5:01 a.m. EST. Viewers on the west coast will be able to tune in a bit earlier. For them the eclipse begins at 10:33 p.m. PST on December 20 and lasts until 2:01am PST on Dec. 21. Totality, the time when Earth's shadow completely covers the moon, will last a lengthy 72 minutes.

When will the Eclipse Occur?

The eclipse’s total phase lasts for 72 minutes. The penumbral eclipse ("P1") begins at 05:29:17 Universal Time (UT) and the partial eclipse ("U1") starts at 06:32:37 UT. The total eclipse ("U2") begins at 07:40:47 UT and the point of the greatest eclipse occurs at 08:16:57 UT. The moon lies near the zenith for observers in southern California and Baja Mexico at the instant of the greatest eclipse. The umbral magnitude peaks at 1.2561 as the moon’s southern limb passes 2.8 arc minutes north of the shadow’s central axis. Therefore, the moon’s southern half will seem much darker than the northern half because it lies deeper in the umbra.

Since the moon samples a large range of umbral depths during totality, its appearance will change dramatically with time. The total eclipse ("U3") ends at 08:53:08 UT, followed by the end of the partial eclipse ("U4") at 10:01:20 UT. The penumbral eclipse ("P4") ends at 11:04:31 UT.

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar-eclipse-december-21-2010.html
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:19:22 AM by pecan »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse - Dec. 21
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:59:10 AM »
Pretty darn cool lunar eclipse; the clouds finally cleared up.

Should have worn shoes and this protective device ...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:51 AM »
Pretty darn cool lunar eclipse; the clouds finally cleared up.

Should have worn shoes and this protective device ...

What's that, ah giant tampon ?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:30:32 AM »

What's that, ah giant tampon ?
well you go the 'giant' part right   :devil:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
I only made it to 11:43 pm last night. I was leaning up on the cold wall to stay awake just to see something. Only thing I got was the full moon :-\  Time I got up from a little nap it was after 1:00 am and the moon moved to the other side of the building.   Only to hear this morning the full eclipse took place between 1:00 and 3:00 am.

So much for that!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
I only made it to 11:43 pm last night. I was leaning up on the cold wall to stay awake just to see something. Only thing I got was the full moon :-\  Time I got up from a little nap it was after 1:00 am and the moon moved to the other side of the building.   Only to hear this morning the full eclipse took place between 1:00 and 3:00 am.

So much for that!!

I went outside after 1 and see ah li'l shadow on de right side... try tuh take ah picture and de battery was dead.  3:00 o'clock ah gorn back out (was working on something most ah de night) in de cold... could see de reddish orange haze over de moon... but barely.  Point de camera in de sky and de damn thing so faint it eh even registering on de viewfinder.

scheups

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »
I went outside after 1 and see ah li'l shadow on de right side... try tuh take ah picture and de battery was dead.  3:00 o'clock ah gorn back out (was working on something most ah de night) in de cold... could see de reddish orange haze over de moon... but barely.  Point de camera in de sky and de damn thing so faint it eh even registering on de viewfinder.

scheups

Like yuhself
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »

scheups

Like yuhself

lol, nah not like that... busy next couple of months.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
wish I had a proper camera .. all I could manage is this double image on the highest optical zoom digital point and shoot.

And each time i press the shutter, the camera would shake even though I was using a small tripod.

hmmm .... it look like a couple of ass cheeks

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:57:48 PM »
wish I had a proper camera .. all I could manage is this double image on the highest optical zoom digital point and shoot.

And each time i press the shutter, the camera would shake even though I was using a small tripod.

next time use the self timer or fast shutter.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »

next time use the self timer or fast shutter.

:beermug: did not even think of the self timer .. 3:30 in the morning and I was half asleep and freezing my arse off.

1]; } ?>