April 28, 2024, 09:42:31 PM

Author Topic: Li.ghtening  (Read 2436 times)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Li.ghtening
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
This is not a cricket question but can anyone explain this for me.Many years ago I was in Skinner Park in Sando,I was with my friend watching athletes train.We were inches apart when there was a massive thunder and it was followed by lightening,my friend died instantly but I survived.I have always tried to get an explanation but cant get one,it was a dry day as opposed to  rainy day.He lay there dead on the grass without a mark on his body.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Li.ghtening
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »
I think it is possible for there to be storms formed higher up in the atmosphere in which the rain evaporates before reaching the ground.  Lightning from this type of storm can cause bush fires.

sorry to hear this story.  My uncle experienced a similar thing in Skinner Park when he was in primary school: lightning struck down the fella next to him in the march past for sports day, if I recall correctly.  I don't know if that indicates something about the park as a location.

edit: according to wikipedia there are two forms of dry lightning 1) as I described above and 2) originating with what they call a pyrocumulus cloud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_lightning
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:00:45 PM by daryn »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:38:45 PM »
Well daryn you have come up with something about Skinner Park that we dont know about.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 07:59:44 PM »
Boy, when you young you use to do some dotish things.
I remember we had a lil side called Chelsea and we use to play in the St. Joseph savannah behind the big Mosque. One rain start to fall and the sweat get real nice now because man slipping and sliding and taking all kinder ah "beatz". Lightening start to flash flash and we nincompoops play right thru lightening and rain. Why the big man ain't strike one of us? I could only say now that I have reflected on such dotishness, is that he was not ready for one of us knuckleheads.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »
Thats odd ,very rare I would think without googling it .One would say that the electricity in the  air itself made his heart stop beating .Maybe he had a weak heart or other condition.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 10:30:01 PM »
Deeks I use to love playing in the rain ,,infact when the rain start we would head out .

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »
Deeks yuh right about how stupid we were in youth,coz ah remember doing exactly the same in Skinner Park especially when rain start to fall.We would even play through thunder and lightening not now mate,ah learn me lesson.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »
Continuing on the same topic a bit more. When I played my first game in inclement weather in DC,  the ref stop the game and everybody head for they cars. Is only when I see the long streaks in the sky, I say, but wait I was a real jack-arse. Lightening up here straighten me out, breds.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 04:09:52 AM »
Boy, when you young you use to do some dotish things.
I remember we had a lil side called Chelsea and we use to play in the St. Joseph savannah behind the big Mosque. One rain start to fall and the sweat get real nice now because man slipping and sliding and taking all kinder ah "beatz". Lightening start to flash flash and we nincompoops play right thru lightening and rain. Why the big man ain't strike one of us? I could only say now that I have reflected on such dotishness, is that he was not ready for one of us knuckleheads.

Deeks boy, as the saying goes: "God have mercy on little children and fools."  :) :) :)
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »
Deeks if you played with Chelsea,you are talking about 70 maybe 71,you played with Gerald Rudy Dave Rickey Marlon Hienz,just to name a few,is that correct

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »
Deeks if you played with Chelsea,you are talking about 70 maybe 71,you played with Gerald Rudy Dave Rickey Marlon Hienz,just to name a few,is that correct

Yes. I played with them fellas. Also Gary Xavier. We played one year in Eddie Hart. U-15 or U-16.

The football in the savnnah was the best. Central St. George use to play the majority of the game in St. Joseph. Tecsa( Godfrey Harris, Murray, Oscar butt), Sir Frank(Off-stick Lewis, Nobby), Invaders(Edie Hart and Tonga Lovell). Curepe Juniors(Frankie Earle). Then Sunday morning football, Wanderers, CYO, Junior, ball Jumbies, Savannah Boys.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:55:27 PM by Deeks »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 06:45:03 AM »
Thats odd ,very rare I would think without googling it .One would say that the electricity in the  air itself made his heart stop beating .Maybe he had a weak heart or other condition.

Having your heart stop when you get hit by lightning is not rare it is one of the major risks of getting hit.

The heart pumps by electrcial pulses. Pulses can jumpstart a heart or stop a beating heart cold. That is whay when yuh see them using pulses to resuscitate people on TV they tell everybody else to stay clear.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:51:51 PM »
I used to love to run ball  in the rain. I gues as a yute I was lucky.

About ten odd years ago TT vs. J'ca - cricket in Kingston.

Lightening hit two TT players in the field, I believe one was Mervy Dillon (I think so).

But as you can guess dey eh dead.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
Another common mistake people make is to go shelter under trees.

1]; } ?>