April 29, 2024, 09:58:48 AM

Author Topic: Bolt extends Puma contract- Now "best-paid athlete in track and field history."  (Read 3644 times)

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ha0D1saZ1BYNXG9lTdWSu2DnACrgD9HPTJT00

Bolt renews sponsorship contract with Puma
By CHRIS LEHOURITES (AP) – 2 hours ago

LONDON — The world's fastest man signed the fattest contract in track and field history Tuesday, with Usain Bolt extending his Puma sponsorship through 2013.

The world-record holder at 100 and 200 meters will be tied to the German apparel company through the 2012 London Olympics, where he is expected to try to win gold medals again in both sprints.

"It's good, man. I'm happy. I'm very happy with the figure," Bolt, who turned 24 on Saturday, told The Associated Press by phone.

Although contract terms were not released, Puma chairman and CEO Jochen Zeitz said Bolt would be the "best-paid athlete in track and field history."

"He's an iconic global sports star and as such he's now remunerated," Zeitz said.

Bolt became a worldwide superstar at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, winning the 100 and 200 in world-record times, and helping Jamaica win another gold and set another world record in the 4x100 relay. A year later, he again set world records in the 100 and 200 at the world championships in Berlin.

Bolt is sitting out the rest of this season because of a tight lower back, but looking toward a return next year for the world championships and then the 2012 Olympics.

"I'm trying to make myself a legend," Bolt said. "People are really looking forward to me breaking records. I'm going to go run hard to win, that's my aim. And every time I go out there and run hard to win, I get records."

At the Bird's Nest in Beijing, his effusive personality endeared the lanky Jamaican to fans, but not to IOC president Jacque Rogge.

In the 100, Bolt surged away from the field and slowed over the last few meters, even taking time to slap his chest before crossing the line in 9.69 seconds. A few days later, Bolt ran 19.30 in the 200 and then made little effort to congratulate his opponents before taking a victory lap and shouting "I am No. 1!"

"I have no problem with him doing a show," Rogge said during the Beijing Games. "I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters."

At the worlds, Bolt's showboating was muted, but his star was rising. He lowered his world record in the 100 to 9.58 and in the 200 to 19.19.

"He's not just an athlete that promotes performance products but he's also an athlete that transcends well beyond his sport into lifestyle, and that's where we see the opportunity," Zeitz said.

Bolt said this month he would cut his 2010 season short because of his ailing back. The announcement came days after he lost a 100-meter race in Stockholm to Tyson Gay — his first loss in an individual race in two years, also in the Swedish capital.

"Stockholm is not my favorite place," said Bolt, adding that it was good for the sport for him to lose once in a while. "Tyson was in good shape. He really wanted to beat me."

As for his injury, Bolt said he has been pain-free in Jamaica while spending time with his family and resting his back. For the first time in years, he got to celebrate his birthday in his country.

"I didn't know what to do," he said. "So I just chilled. We went out and had a couple of drinks."

The early end to Bolt's season will keep him from running at the Commonwealth Games in India.

"We would have loved to see him perform in the Commonwealth Games, but it wasn't really part of his training schedule and race schedule anyway," Zeitz said. "It's unfortunate that he's missing a few races, but we all know that 2011 and 2012 are the really important years."

Zeitz said Puma intends to make Bolt the central figure in its Olympic marketing program and use him to help develop footwear and other apparel.

Bolt first signed with Puma, which also sponsors the Jamaican Olympic Association and the Jamaican Amateur Athletic Association, when he was 16.

"We've been together since forever," Bolt said. "I like the fashion, so they try to make it fashionable for me. ... I'm looking good, but I'm also prepared

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I think MJ had a six year deal with Nike worth US$12 million/2 million per year. That, to the best of my knowledge, was the best ever for a track athlete.

This new Puma deal for Bolt surpasses that "by far" from what I understand. He is the face of Puma and it is no surprise that they were willing to break the bank to keep him. After what they went through with Vince and then Serena, they must be pretty happy about Bolt's decision.

There was, per Bolts' manager, a clause in Bolt's former contract which allowed Puma to match any offer recieved by another company at the contract's expiration. I'm guessing they didn't even allow it to get to that stage by making an offer which he could not refuse.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
3 million a year is hardly the highest paid in history. Should have gotten much more.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
3 million a year is hardly the highest paid in history. Should have gotten much more.

Ato, If your figure is correct then I agree with you. He should have gotten way more!!! It is laughable almost. Jochen Zeitz quotes figures in the hundreds of millions of dollars in AD exposure given to Puma by Bolt yet they can "only" muster up 3 mill in base to give to the guy?

Sure he must have some nice performance incentives in there but that base should be substantially more IMO. especially, that Bolt is Puma's undoubted star.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It's 10 mil pounds over 3 years.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:30:03 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I heard it was USD20m over 3 years, ie $6.5m a year.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Works out to 5 mil per year. With his appearance fee and other smaller contracts he could reach his $10mil a year goal.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Works out to 5 mil per year. With his appearance fee and other smaller contracts he could reach his $10mil a year goal.
Another site said US$20m for 3 years.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I think that would in fact put him past MJ's last Nike deal in which case he WOULD be the highest paid in terms of contract.

Of course Carl Lewis and co. will probably come out next week and say Carl could have asked for that much money but he didn't want to  ;D

Lest we forget:

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20091004/sports/sports4.html
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
...well de Partnership news station say is 400 Million USD ??? but you could take that , like everything else dey report , wid a pinch ah salt !

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
...well de Partnership news station say is 400 Million USD ??? but you could take that , like everything else dey report , wid a pinch ah salt !

WHAT STATION IS DAT PRAY TELL.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
400 million I doubt Puma is even worth that.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
400 million I doubt Puma is even worth that.

Nah guy!

PUMA (PUM.DE) : Market Cap: €3.19 B

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
LOL it was a joke I know the shoe industry
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
LOL it was a joke I know the shoe industry

LOL

OK

Gotcha now.

1]; } ?>