April 18, 2024, 07:27:12 PM

Author Topic: Jennifer Carroll  (Read 7497 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jennifer Carroll
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:19:01 AM »
This Trini lady is running for Lieutenant Governor in Florida.
She's a state representative.

City of Residence: Fleming Island
Spouse: Nolan Carroll, of Miami, Florida
Child(ren): Nolan II, Nyckie, Necho
Education: St. Leo University, M.B.A.; University of New Mexico, B.A., Political Science
Born: August 27, 1959, Port of Spain, Trinidad West Indies
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:46:39 PM by Tallman »

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Trini up for Lt. Gov of Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
Rick Scott's No. 2 expected to be Rep. Jennifer Carroll
By Steve Bousquet, Times/Herald Tallahassee Bureau

TALLAHASSEE — Rick Scott's running mate on the Republican ticket for governor is expected to be state Rep. Jennifer Carroll, a U.S. Navy veteran and mother of three who, if elected, would be Florida's first African-American lieutenant governor.

more

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jennifer Carrol
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »
I get the uneasy, sneaking suspicion that this woman is being used as token by her fellow Republicans:

- Black
- Woman
- Immigrant

As stated in the St. Petersburg Times link E-man posted... the Democratic candidate is female; the state has a large black, and a large immigrant population.  What better way to score some electoral points than by selecting a triple minority token to be your side-kick?

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
there were rumors that she was running for us senate, now they picked her as a lt. gov.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »
So the Trini lady is in office.  Congrats to her.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
whapm to mih pardner Alvin Greene.........and de 2 teet redneck wit de beard?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »
whapm to mih pardner Alvin Greene.........and de 2 teet redneck wit de beard?

Greene get duss out. Here is an interesting article that puts a different spin on the Greene "fiasco".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/nov/03/us-midterm-elections-2010-us-politics1/print

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Allyuh know Trini woman is Lt Governor of Florida ?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »

Full read..http://www.sfltimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6119&Itemid=201

Carroll was born in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, immigrated to the United States as a young child and served in the United States Navy for more than 20 years, retiring as a lieutenant commander.

During her time in the Navy, Carroll was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, the Overseas Ribbon, two Coast Guard Special Operation Ribbons and an Expert Pistol Medal.

Carroll graduated from the University of New Mexico with a B.A. in political science and received an M.B.A. from St. Leo University. She came to Florida in 1986 and started 3N. & J.C. Corp., of which she is president.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jennifer Carroll
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »
 :D allyuh mods fast on the draw when it comes to merging oui...I am happy for her..how many Caribbean born women or men have we had as Lt Gov or Gov in the United States ?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
Not Gov or Lt Gov but Constance Motley was the first black female NY state senator and was born to parents from Nevis
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »
Not Gov or Lt Gov but Constance Motley was the first black female NY state senator and was born to parents from Nevis

ok. I figured Carroll is the only one as of right now who was born in the Caribbean to reach this far on the US political landscape.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »

ok. I figured Carroll is the only one as of right now who was born in the Caribbean to reach this far on the US political landscape.

Mervyn Dymally, from Cedros, was Lieutenant Governor of California from 1975–1979.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »

Mervyn Dymally, from Cedros, was Lieutenant Governor of California from 1975–1979.

Wow, thanks Tallman, a side note, Una Clarke was NYC councilwoman, born in JA
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48:05 PM »
Stephen Russell Mallory was born in Grand Couva, he was a democratic US Senate representative for Florida :beermug: Mallory Square in Key West is named after him  :beermug:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:59:14 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Allyuh know Trini woman is Lt Governor of Florida ?
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 01:14:58 AM »

Full read..http://www.sfltimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6119&Itemid=201

Carroll was born in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, immigrated to the United States as a young child and served in the United States Navy for more than 20 years, retiring as a lieutenant commander.

During her time in the Navy, Carroll was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, the Overseas Ribbon, two Coast Guard Special Operation Ribbons and an Expert Pistol Medal.

Carroll graduated from the University of New Mexico with a B.A. in political science and received an M.B.A. from St. Leo University. She came to Florida in 1986 and started 3N. & J.C. Corp., of which she is president.

Also, those of allyuh who follow the NFL will know that a Jets assistant coach get in trouble for tripping a Dolphins player as he ran down the sidelines... well dai'z she son who get trip.

Not even close... Dymally was also a long-serving Congressman, was Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus for many years.  Currently Eric Holder (father from Bim) is the highest ranking, and possibly of all time.  The US Attorney General is 7th in the line of succession to the Presidency.

I say "possibly ever" because there were a couple early American politicians (Alexander Hamilton, Nevis... on the US $10 dollar bill) as well.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:25:15 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 04:58:16 AM »

Also, those of allyuh who follow the NFL will know that a Jets assistant coach get in trouble for tripping a Dolphins player as he ran down the sidelines... well dai'z she son who get trip.

Not even close... Dymally was also a long-serving Congressman, was Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus for many years.  Currently Eric Holder (father from Bim) is the highest ranking, and possibly of all time.  The US Attorney General is 7th in the line of succession to the Presidency.

I say "possibly ever" because there were a couple early American politicians (Alexander Hamilton, Nevis... on the US $10 dollar bill) as well.

I know about all these people you mentioned and that's why I made sure and ask "Caribbean born" TWICE in this thread in previous posts. Holder was not born in the Caribbean just like Hamilton. There are very few who reach very far that were born in the Caribbean
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:28:44 AM by Sando prince »

AirMan

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 05:54:32 AM »
Don't be so quick to embrace this lady who when asked where she was from replied I'm from the Caribbean,that was the clincher for me.

Have a Good day people.... 

...but regardless if she is embraced or not, it does not change where she came from.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 11:23:17 AM »

I know about all these people you mentioned and that's why I made sure and ask "Caribbean born" TWICE in this thread in previous posts. Holder was not born in the Caribbean just like Hamilton. There are very few who reach very far that were born in the Caribbean

True sando, you did make sure to mention caribbean born, so only Dymally precedes her, unless more revealing info is available

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 12:16:21 PM »

You're right... ah fuhget Nevis isn't part ah de Caribbean.

If ah wanted to be technical ah coulda even throw in John McCain and Stephen Mallory... but what is de point in being technical, right?

AirMan

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »

Source.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2010/11/101112_triniteap.shtml

Tea Party Trini    

Trinidadian born Jennifer Caroll is elected Florida's Lieutenant Governor
Trinidad born Jennifer Caroll made history last week.
The conservative Republican became the first black person and first woman elected Lieutenant Governor of Florida.

"I'm a true Trinidadian. A true Trini. Trini to the bone” declared Carroll, 51, the number two to new Florida governor Rick Scott, in an interview in the Trinidad Express.

But though Carroll, who moved to the US when she was 8, is proud of her Caribbean roots, some Caribbean-Americans say her victory might prove to be a defeat for them.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
hmm,,bit of a stretch to link her to the tea party..but say wha it does make de headline sexy I guess
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 12:30:43 PM »
tea party- is that a new kinda fete???

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
tea party- is that a new kinda fete???

Ask Ato.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »

Source.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2010/11/101112_triniteap.shtml

Tea Party Trini    

Trinidadian born Jennifer Caroll is elected Florida's Lieutenant Governor
Trinidad born Jennifer Caroll made history last week.
The conservative Republican became the first black person and first woman elected Lieutenant Governor of Florida.

"I'm a true Trinidadian. A true Trini. Trini to the bone” declared Carroll, 51, the number two to new Florida governor Rick Scott, in an interview in the Trinidad Express.

But though Carroll, who moved to the US when she was 8, is proud of her Caribbean roots, some Caribbean-Americans say her victory might prove to be a defeat for them.

In the rest of that article she says that Caribbean folk are more in tune w/Republican philosohpy, Job made a similar assertion in his "Think Again"...always amazes me when folks who were raised in an arguably very left of a center society such as TT's make that assertion

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 03:43:22 PM »
In the rest of that article she says that Caribbean folk are more in tune w/Republican philosohpy, Job made a similar assertion in his "Think Again"...always amazes me when folks who were raised in an arguably very left of a center society such as TT's make that assertion

It's a mixed bag really... we (Caribbean) people are socially conservative for the most part, and we very much believe in achieving by pulling ourselves up by our own bootstraps.  On the other hand we are usually more in tune with an economic philosophy closer that of the Democrats... social programs, strong government regulation of business, pro-union etc.

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
Trinidad is actually a conservative society.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »

It's a mixed bag really... we (Caribbean) people are socially conservative for the most part, and we very much believe in achieving by pulling ourselves up by our own bootstraps.  On the other hand we are usually more in tune with an economic philosophy closer that of the Democrats... social programs, strong government regulation of business, pro-union etc.

Correct and somehow there is the perception that the "left of center society" philosophy, ie. democratic does not entail this and one is somehow waiting for a handout, in many true left of center socities this isnt the case, i.e, people do pull themselves up by the bootstraps...abuses of welfare and other pgms in the US tend to give this philiosophy a bad name

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »

It's a mixed bag really... we (Caribbean) people are socially conservativefor the most part

Correct and somehow there is the perception that the "left of center society" philosophy, ie. democratic does not entail this and one is somehow waiting for a handout, in many true left of center socities this isnt the case, i.e, people do pull themselves up by the bootstraps...abuses of welfare and other pgms in the US tend to give this philiosophy a bad name

Except I would say it's more the perception of abuses, rather than actual abuses.  Not only is the degree of abuse not as great as often portrayed, but the main beneficiaries of the social programs aren't accurately represented in the media as well.  Blacks are often depicted as lazy and dependent on these government "handouts" as you indicated, when in reality whites benefit at a significantly higher number.  My guess is that were most of the critics cognizant (accepting, really) of that fact then they wouldn't be as critical.  So yeah, to me perception is what's really driving the animus.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »

It's a mixed bag really... we (Caribbean) people are socially conservativefor the most part

Except I would say it's more the perception of abuses, rather than actual abuses.  Not only is the degree of abuse not as great as often portrayed, but the main beneficiaries of the social programs aren't accurately represented in the media as well.  Blacks are often depicted as lazy and dependent on these government "handouts" as you indicated, when in reality whites benefit at a significantly higher number.  My guess is that were most of the critics cognizant (accepting, really) of that fact then they wouldn't be as critical.  So yeah, to me perception is what's really driving the animus.

Ah boy, time to take a drink  :beermug:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »
Florida lieutenant governor target of ex-aide’s sex allegations 
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/11/2891856/ex-aide-i-caught-lieutenant-governor.html

A fired aide claimed she caught Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll in what she believed to be a sexual encounter with a female employee.

TALLAHASSEE -- As part of her defense in a criminal trial, a former aide to Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll said she caught the lieutenant governor in “a compromising position” with another aide shortly before being fired last year.

The allegations are part of the ongoing prosecution of Carletha Cole, a former aide to Carroll who shared a recording of a conversation with Carroll’s chief of staff with a reporter for the Florida Times-Union, a Jacksonville newspaper, after she was fired.

Cole has been charged with disclosing that recorded conversation.

Cole’s motion, filed in response to the state’s efforts to keep some records sealed, portrays a dysfunctional office where Carroll’s aides frequently recorded conversations and the lieutenant governor pushed for a website where fans could follow her. It also says Steve MacNamara, former chief of staff for Gov. Rick Scott, viewed Carroll as a “loose cannon,” in the words of the filing.

But its most sensational anecdote concerns Cole inadvertently walking in on what she believed to be a sexual encounter between Carroll and a female employee.

“When she entered the office, she found the Lieutenant Governor and her Travel Aide, Beatriz Ramos, in what can only be described as a compromising position,” according to a motion filed by Cole’s lawyer.

A spokesman for Scott did not return a phone call or reply to an email seeking a response, but Carroll told The Associated Press that the claims were “totally false and absurd.”

Cole took a polygraph late last year concerning her claim. She answered “yes” to questions about the incident, including “Did you ever observe Lt. Governor Jennifer Carroll and . . . Ramos in a sexually compromising position in the Capitol?”

Timothy Robinson, retired chief polygraph examiner for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, said that “Ms. Cole’s charts were somewhat difficult to read,” but he believed her.

“Her charts, in my opinion, are indicative of a non-deceptive examinee (truthful),” Robinson wrote. “Ms. Cole passed her polygraph.”

The charges could prove explosive among social conservatives who form the backbone of the Republican Party and have long admired Carroll. But Carroll’s defenders are likely to point to credibility questions arising from the criminal charges Cole faces.

But Cole goes beyond simply alleging an isolated incident, saying Ramos “jealously hoarded the Lieutenant Governor’s attention in a manner which can only be described as bizarre” and that Cole was ordered to book adjoining rooms when Ramos traveled with Carroll. Cole also said that policy was changed without explanation after Carroll’s husband went along on one of the trips.

Finally, the filing implies that Carroll worked to snuff out an arson investigation at the Capitol that could have implicated Ramos. Carroll personally met with the FDLE investigator looking into a fire in Cole’s trash can. Ramos later told the investigator she put a cigar that she thought she had extinguished into the trash can; the case was closed.

The day after the investigator met with Ramos, Carroll wrote a letter of recommendation for him to work in the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco.

Stephen Webster, Cole’s attorney, argues in the motion that the incidents are relevant to Cole’s trial.

“A juror could reasonably conclude that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s investigation into the Defendant was tainted by the Lieutenant Governor’s Office in an effort to ensure the Defendant’s arrest, prosecution, and ultimate assassination of her character in order to shield the Lieutenant Governor and her staff from legitimate inquiry into their own misdeeds,” the motion said.

At the same time, Cole claims that Scott’s press shop “had specifically instructed staff members to covertly record communications within the Lieutenant Governor’s Office, as well as any and all communications with a member of the press in order to permit rebuttal of any misquotes or inaccurate attributions.”

And the motion says that John Konkus, Carroll’s chief of staff, used a “smart pen” that doubled as a tape recorder

“Mr. Konkus regularly joked about his ability to covertly record conversations, allowing the participants of the conversation no knowledge that the recording was occurring given that Mr. Konkus’ ’smart pen’ looked like an unassuming writing implement,” it says.

Cole’s trial was scheduled to begin next week but has been delayed.

1]; } ?>