April 25, 2024, 05:24:05 AM

Author Topic: Nigeria's late winner breaks T&T hearts  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nigeria's late winner breaks T&T hearts
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »
Nigeria's late winner breaks T&T hearts
FIFA.com

Nigeria won their way into the quarter-finals of the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup thanks to a winner four minutes from full-time by Loveth Ayila against Trinidad and Tobago in Marabella. Buoyed by a rousing home atmosphere and some inspirational goalkeeping from Linfah Jones, the locals appeared set to hang on for a crucial against-the-odds point until Ayila’s late intervention.

Today’s result, combined with a 3-2 opening win against 2008 champions Korea DPR, sees the Africans assure their passage and needing just a point from their final match against Chile to guarantee top spot in the group. The late defeat means T&T must defeat the Koreans in the final group encounter to avoid elimination.

Nigeria started positively and Halimatu Ayinde went close to opening the scoring on five minutes before then setting up Sarah Nnodim soon after only for the latter to miscue her effort.

Nigeria continued in the same vein and Oluchi Ofoegbu then rocked the crossbar with an effort from 25 meters as the Flamingoes inched closer to breaking the deadlock. The finally did so on 28 minutes with a long ball from deep played into the path of Francisca Ordega who coolly lobbed the advancing Jones with a header. Ayinde nearly doubled the advantage but her shot from near the penalty spot was blocked.

Nine minutes before the interval T&T, lifted by the relentless support of the home crowd and the tuneful rhythm section, restored parity via Liana Hinds. The provider of the winner three days earlier against Chile profited from good lead-up work from Jonelle Warrick whose solo run on the right flank, ended with a shot that could only be blocked by Amina Abu into the path of Hinds.

The second half began much the same way as the first with Ordega spurning a good opening for the Africans. T&T reacted with a powerful free-kick from distance only for Diarra Simmons’ effort to nestle the wrong side of the post.

Midway through the second stanza the Soca Princesses had a gilt-edged chance to take a shock lead with Jo Marie Lewis seeing her effort from 12 metres saved with Khadisha Debesette firing the rebound over the crossbar.

Just as T&T started dreaming of collecting a much-needed point came the dagger to the heart of the team and their ebullient supporters in the Manny Ramjohn Stadium. Winifred Eyebhoria crossed from the left flank over the head of Jones allowing Ayila a simple conversion at the back post.

T&T 1 (Liana Hinds 36) vs Nigeria 2 (Francisca Ordega 28, Loveth Ayila 86)

Trinidad & Tobago: - 21.Linfah Jones, 2.Rose Bahadursingh, 3.Diarra Simmons (7.Brianna Rrce 84th), 4.Patrice Vincent (17.Jonelle Warrick 72nd), 5.Lauren Schmidt (capt), 6.Khadisha Debesette, 8.Victoria Swift (Yellow 73), 9.Liana Hinds, 11.Khadidra Debesette, 12.Kayla Taylor, 14.Emma Abdul (10.Jo-Marie Lewis 46th).

Coach: - Even Pellerud (NOR).

Nigeria: - 1.Amina Abus, 2.Sarah Nnodim (capt) (Yellow 94), 4.Oluchi Ofoegbu, 6.Ugo Njoku (Yellow 72), 7.Loveth Ayila, 9.Francisca Ordega, 10.Ngozi Okobi, 13.Kemi Abiodum, 14.Halimatu Ayinde (11.Winifred Eyebhoria 44th), 15.Victoria Aidelomon (Yellow 63'), 17.Omolade Akinbiyi.

Coach: - (NGA) Peter Dedevbo (NGA).

Venue: - Mannie Ramjohn Stadium.

Attendance: - 10,000.

Group A

MP W D L GF GA Pts
Nigeria 2 2 0 0 5 3 6
Korea DPR 2 1 0 1 5 3 3
Trinidad and Tobago 2 1 0 1 3 3 3
Chile 2 0 0 2 1 5 0

Video: - Highlights.

Statistics

Trinidad and Tobago (TRI) - Nigeria (NGA)
7 Shots 23
3 Shots on goal 11
10 Fouls Committed 10
1 Corner kicks 13
0 Direct Free Kicks to Goal 0
0 Indirect Free Kicks to Goal 0
0 / 0 Penalty Kicks 0 / 0
3 Offsides 2
0 Own Goals 0
1 Cautions 3
0 Expulsions due to Second Caution 0
0 Direct Expulsions 0
34% Possession (%) 66%
15 Actual playing time 30

Other Results:

Mannie Ramjohn Stadium (Attendance: 10,000).
Korea DPR 3:0 (1:0) Chile

Dwight Yorke Stadium - (Attendance: 1830)
Germany 10:1 (9:1) South Africa
Korea Republic 4:1 (2:1) Mexico
Brave Soca Princesses go down 2-1.
By Kern De Freitas (T&T Express).

NIGERIA EDGE T&T

Trinidad and Tobago's "Soca Princesses" matched Nigeria's Flamingoes toe-to-toe for 87 minutes, but fell 2-1 last night in the FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup encounter at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella.

T&T equalised in the 36th through Liana Hinds, after Francisca Ordega headed in Nigeria's opening goal. And with the clock winding down, Loveth Ayila, who had been trying all night to beat the superb Linfah Jones in the Trinidad and Tobago goal, finally found a way in the 87th minute, a heartbreaker to the sea of red that vociferously cheered their every move.

With a sellout crowd urging them on, the Soca Princesses attempted to take the fight to the Flamingoes. Take it they did, with the first attack coming off the head of midfielder Victoria Swift.

T&T had their narrow escapes, like Khadisha Debesette's block of Halimatu Ayinde in the fifth minute and Ayila's total miss of the ball in the sixth.

Ayila especially kept Trinidad and Tobago's defence extra busy, thwarted only by Jones's quickness off the line and generally great ball handling.

Jones also rescued the home team with Ordega on the hunt early on, after T&T winger Kayla Taylor failed to get her head to a ball delivered from the right by the other Debesette twin, Khadidra, that would have surely hit net.

In the 20th Nigeria celebrated for a few seconds before Ayila's item was ruled out for a foul on a defender. Ayila again met a brick wall in Jones with her close-range shot, but Ordega would not be denied.

The central striker put the visitors ahead in the 28th minute with a cheeky little play, running on to a lobbed ball at the edge of the area. Jones came out, but was beaten to the ball by Ordega's perfect header that looped over the custodian and into the goal.

And after Jones kept them from going further behind, Trinidad and Tobago found the boost they needed with Hinds's equaliser.

Hinds sprinted from distance with the ball to play a peach of a through-ball to Khadidra on the right and was on hand just inside the area to clean up after the Nigerian goalie, Amina Abu, failed to clear.

T&T survived more Nigerian pressure to go in on an even keel, the score 1-1 at the break.

Again, Trinidad and Tobago started strongly in the second half, but Nigeria looked menacing whenever they moved forward.

Jones was forced to tip Ayila's attempt over in the 50th, while Bahadursingh headed off the near post in danger in the 58th.

In between those plays, Diarra Simmons reminded Abu she was there with a shot from 30 metres that swung only just wide.

Abu nearly handled Khadidra's shot from distance into the net and T&T could have gone ahead if the other Debesette twin Khadisha's header had been just a tad more accurate.

But Jones and solid captain Lauren Schmidt were even more impressive over 90 minutes. Time and again Jones denied Ayila, Ordega and even the dangerous Ngozi Okobi, while Schmidt never let anything past her.

With time winding down and Trinidad and Tobago hoping to steal a point, Ayila found herself in space within the six-metre box and met a left side cross with a lovely little header that sank into the net, and T&T supporters' hearts in the process.

The result leaves Trinidad and Tobago third in the standings behind leaders Nigeria and North Korea, who have a better goal difference of two, with the Africans having already qualified for the next round with two wins.

T&T need to beat the North Koreans in their final match at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Sunday to progress to the quarter-finals.

But they gave the home fans a thrill in what could only be described as "almost".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:47:36 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Nigeria's late winner breaks T&T hearts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »
Credit to Nigeria.. Scary players weys dem fugly lol.  :devil:

I wouldn't want to face Nigeria dem look like dem mean bizness. take win lol.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:54:10 PM by sHOTTA12 »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:33:27 PM »
linfah jones i like her spirit, she rel save we. she may be short but she is a warrior.  and yes d nigeria not easy on d eyes lol                :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
Jus finished watching the first half of a wonderful match. Our captain was not herself, something was not right with her.. But she kept on going like a true warrior.

There is something in this team that I haven't seen in a very long time and that is fighting spirit and belief.

Now to the second half!

Wow so proud of these girls. Well done. They lost but it doesnt feel like a defeat, a trademark of a great team.

Love the sportsmanship in the end!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:06:06 PM by sHOTTA12 »

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 02:51:37 AM »
i wonder how old dem nigerians is?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nigeria edge T&T
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:43:42 AM »
Nigeria edge T&T
By Kern De Freitas (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago's "Soca Princesses" matched Nigeria's Flamingoes toe-to-toe for 87 minutes, but fell 2-1 last night in the FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup encounter at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella.

T&T equalised in the 36th through Liana Hinds, after Francisca Ordega headed in Nigeria's opening goal. And with the clock winding down, Loveth Ayila, who had been trying all night to beat the superb Linfah Jones in the Trinidad and Tobago goal, finally found a way in the 87th minute, a heartbreaker to the sea of red that vociferously cheered their every move.

With a sellout crowd urging them on, the Soca Princesses attempted to take the fight to the Flamingoes. Take it they did, with the first attack coming off the head of midfielder Victoria Swift.

T&T had their narrow escapes, like Khadisha Debesette's block of Halimatu Ayinde in the fifth minute and Ayila's total miss of the ball in the sixth.

Ayila especially kept Trinidad and Tobago's defence extra busy, thwarted only by Jones's quickness off the line and generally great ball handling.

Jones also rescued the home team with Ordega on the hunt early on, after T&T winger Kayla Taylor failed to get her head to a ball delivered from the right by the other Debesette twin, Khadidra, that would have surely hit net.

In the 20th Nigeria celebrated for a few seconds before Ayila's item was ruled out for a foul on a defender. Ayila again met a brick wall in Jones with her close-range shot, but Ordega would not be denied.

The central striker put the visitors ahead in the 28th minute with a cheeky little play, running on to a lobbed ball at the edge of the area. Jones came out, but was beaten to the ball by Ordega's perfect header that looped over the custodian and into the goal.

And after Jones kept them from going further behind, Trinidad and Tobago found the boost they needed with Hinds's equaliser.

Hinds sprinted from distance with the ball to play a peach of a through-ball to Khadidra on the right and was on hand just inside the area to clean up after the Nigerian goalie, Amina Abu, failed to clear.

T&T survived more Nigerian pressure to go in on an even keel, the score 1-1 at the break.

Again, Trinidad and Tobago started strongly in the second half, but Nigeria looked menacing whenever they moved forward.

Jones was forced to tip Ayila's attempt over in the 50th, while Bahadursingh headed off the near post in danger in the 58th.

In between those plays, Diarra Simmons reminded Abu she was there with a shot from 30 metres that swung only just wide.

Abu nearly handled Khadidra's shot from distance into the net and T&T could have gone ahead if the other Debesette twin Khadisha's header had been just a tad more accurate.

But Jones and solid captain Lauren Schmidt were even more impressive over 90 minutes. Time and again Jones denied Ayila, Ordega and even the dangerous Ngozi Okobi, while Schmidt never let anything past her.

With time winding down and Trinidad and Tobago hoping to steal a point, Ayila found herself in space within the six-metre box and met a left side cross with a lovely little header that sank into the net, and T&T supporters' hearts in the process.

The result leaves Trinidad and Tobago third in the standings behind leaders Nigeria and North Korea, who have a better goal difference of two, with the Africans having already qualified for the next round with two wins.

T&T need to beat the North Koreans in their final match at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Sunday to progress to the quarter-finals.

But they gave the home fans a thrill in what could only be described as "almost".

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:18:37 AM »

not under 17!

dem north korean neither!

hope we make round 2 but then is a death sentence against the mighty germans.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:51:02 AM »

LOL - was waiting on this question...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »

LOL - was waiting on this question...
ah bunch ah overage men

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »
So if by some Miracle...we beat Korea a 3-0.

And Nigeria lose to Chile....as they will rest some players...about a 2-0.

We could possibly top the group not so?

and avoid Germany

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
miracle yes, if we had draw yesterday, we could of draw on SUN and go through, now we have to win. :-\ small thing
Youtube Channel

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »
miracle yes, if we had draw yesterday, we could of draw on SUN and go through, now we have to win. :-\ small thing

We will win 2 nil and finish with a plus 2 G.D.

Nigeria will lose 1 nil and finish with a plus 1 G.D.

We avoid  Germany and beat South Korea in the Q-final on penalties .

Then We ....... Shit my alarm just wake me up.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Post match reaction from T&T camp
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
Post match reaction from T&T camp
TTFF Media

Even Pellerud: I thought we played a very good game today and I’m happy with the efforts of the girls. WE played maybe one of the best games ever but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to get us the victory and we missed out on a point with four minutes remaining. Overall, I am seeing the team growing from game to game and this was the plan. From our build up matches, you can see the improvements along the way. I am still pleased with the effort put in by all of the girls.

I think for Sunday’s match we will again go all out and give it our best to secure our passage to the quarter finals. We will play like we know to play and hopefully it will be enough to see us through. I would like to thank all of T&T for the support they have given to us and we will do our best to repay them by getting to the next stage. There has been a lot of sacrifices by everyone in the team and we know how disappointing it must be when we don’t win but we hope that you will keep the faith in us.

Captain Lauren Schmidt: I’m proud of my team even though we are disappointed with the result. We were so close but it didn’t happen for us tonight. It was another great evening for us coming out there and seeing all the fans there to show their support. We will dig very deep for what will be another tough match on Sunday.

Linfah Jones: Honestly we didn’t play at our level today. I think we are a better team. It was a close game and we played really hard but I still think we can do better. Personally I was happy with my game but I know I can do better. My job is to  stop the goals and I will only be satisfied when I can prevent anything from getting through. We are here to try and win all our matches so when we fall short obviously we’re not a happy bunch.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »
Linfah Jones jones is a warrior  ;D , Gosh i really hope to buss Korea tail  >:( they deserve it after that hard fought game yesterday
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
Linfah Jones jones is a warrior  ;D , Gosh i really hope to buss Korea tail  >:( they deserve it after that hard fought game yesterday

Ent boy, they puttin de W back in warrior, sadly, the senior MNT putin de W in worrier
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
i now watching d highlights she look like she wanted to cry  :'( vid coming
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:34:37 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 05:55:39 PM »
CNC3 news highlights

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3sEVqXVfmtE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3sEVqXVfmtE</a>
Youtube Channel

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
Thanks D.H.W.  :beermug:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
Big up DHW..

ah liking our keeper, she small but she is a fighter and she going in brave.. bess!

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »
Alot of people credit the goalkeeper and rightly so but for me it's much different.

I felt Linfah can play better, she was confident for much of the game but in a few instances she hesitated, you can't do that and this level.

Both teams had fair amount of luck, Nigeria goal should of stood.

Rose, outstanding player, she made one error all game and it resulted in a goal mainly due to fatigue. All night she was constantly tested.

The captain had a bad game, maybe she was a bit intimidated by this African side with good reason, they were very strong, pacey with good technique, very organized and very tough to break down, with this said our girls matched the performance in a big way.

Swift was on her game, she was making life in midfield very hard for the Nigerians with some nice interceptions  me mum style.

Another outstanding individual, probably our best player on the night was Kayla Taylor. Wonderful talent, she made some clean interceptions, spot on passes and showed alot of composure for the entire 90. Nigeria defended super.

Vincent also had a good game and Simmons was a big blow when she left the field, she to was very solid at the back but a big unlucky.

Our subs were solid.

It's time for the coach performance. The Gaffa gambled in the end there, at first I questioned his decision to have the team push for the win but after some thought it was clear no one knows the players better than he does. This is a good thing, never settle for a draw, anytime you settle for something less you end up with nothing. He is a great coach, his selection, tactics and belief in his players showed in them.

I give the girls performances a 8.5/10 for sheer determination against an opponent much more stronger but they matched them in spirit and heart.

BIG UP!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:37 PM »
If only Linfah Jones was 3 or 4 inches taller, she would have the potential to be the best female goalie in the world.  Bravery, good quick decisions (except for the first Nigeria goal), and a safe pair of hands.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »
If only Linfah Jones was 3 or 4 inches taller, she would have the potential to be the best female goalie in the world.  Bravery, good quick decisions (except for the first Nigeria goal), and a safe pair of hands.

Hoss I really believe these girls would school the national senior mens team.

They should cancel that Belize game and play a friendly. My money on the girls easy win no problem.

Offline DrHerbalist

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
will there be a re-run of TNT vs Nigeria

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »

well she still young i hope she grow taller  ;D
Youtube Channel

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 08:57:31 PM »
tough luck princesses ...redeem yourselves next game

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Flamingoes coach hails resilient foes
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 04:50:33 AM »
Flamingoes coach hails resilient foes
By Ifeanyi Ibeh (234next.com)

Coach of Nigeria’s U-17 women’s national team, Peter Dedevbo, has praised the Trinidad and Tobago team for the resilience they displayed in their match against the Flamingoes.

Nigeria defeated the hosts 2-1 in a match played in the early hours of Thursday Nigerian time, and advanced to the quarter-finals of the ongoing FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup courtesy of a match winning goal that arrived four minutes from time by Loveth Ayila. It was a hard fought victory for the Flamingoes, and Dedevbo who had expected a much easier game than the 3-2 opening day win over defending champions North Korea couldn’t help but commend the Trinidadians for their effort. “I was very impressed by the Trinidad and Tobago team,” said the Nigerian coach, who was on his feet for most parts of the game against the Soca Princesses. “They have a lot of talent and the determination and the courage they showed throughout the match was commendable.”

Excellent goalkeeping

The victory margin could however been much wider but for some inspirational goalkeeping from Linfah Jones, in goal for the defending champions. The goalkeeper stood like a rock between everything the Nigerians could aim at her goal. Even on the few occasions that she was beaten, such as in the 24th minute when she was rooted to the spot following a rocket of a shot from 25 metres by the Nigerian captain Oluchi Ofoegbu, her crossbar was on hand to come to her rescue.

The Nigerians nevertheless went ahead in the 28th minute of the game when Francisca Ordega coolly headed the ball over the advancing Jones after latching onto a long ball. But Jones soon made another save to prevent Halimatu Ayinde from doubling the tally. Ayinde had also fluffed a chance in the fifth minute which would have put the Flamingos ahead. Jones’ goalkeeping heroics, and Nigeria’s profligacy in front of goal, then paid off for the Trinidadians when Linda Hinds levelled in the 36th minute with a well placed shot for her second goal of the tournament. The ball rolled onto her path following an initial save by Nigerian goalkeeper Amina Abu.

The Trinidadians then displayed a great deal of determination to keep the score line level and appeared set to walk away with a point before Ayila’s late goal sealed victory for Nigeria and with it a ticket to the quarter finals, even with the game against already eliminated Chile.Trinidad and Tobago, for their part, must secure a win to progress at the expense of final-day opponents North Korea. The North Koreans defeated the Chileans with a comfortable 3-0 margin.

1]; } ?>