March 29, 2024, 04:22:09 AM

Author Topic: Alvin Xavier  (Read 2103 times)

Offline dc68

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Alvin Xavier
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:20 PM »
I just got back from St Lucia. Down there I met a former W Connection player named Alvin Xavier. Does anyone know much about this player or has seen him play?

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Alvin Xavier
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:50:13 PM »
68 no dis eh star but right now people real fork in pissed and worried about de direction we national team going. We doh have time fuh Xavier right now nah. Fork who ever Xavier is yes. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 12:00:46 AM »
68 no dis eh star but right now people real fork in pissed and worried about de direction we national team going. We doh have time fuh Xavier right now nah. Fork who ever Xavier is yes. HIGHLY BLESSED.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:52:57 AM »
I know he use to play for Caroni, not sure if its a next Alvin Xavier you talking about.

But whats your point anyway ?

Is he suppose to be de next bess thing ?

To me, he was ok, nothing special.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
One man’s quest to save Marchand Yutes
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:07:23 AM »
One man’s quest to save Marchand Yutes
By Alisha Ally (St. Lucia Star)

“You’re a good player but you have too much attitude,” the coach shouted to a shirtless boy kicking up grass with his pegs with a face as long as the John Compton Highway.  As I stood on the outskirts of the Marchand Grounds everything seemed brighter as the sun basked in all its glory.

The colourful clothing against the muddy grass while the boys chased the football stirred a cheerful something within me.

Moving closer, the youngsters, who couldn’t be more than 12 years of age, barely acknowledged my presence before turning back to their instructions.  A game was a-foot.  Right in the middle was a man with a stocking covering full head of locks, sweating bricks and shouting out instructions.  The coach shouted “Who are we?” The boys responded “Marchand yutes!”

Alvin Xavier who is known in the Marchand community as ‘X’ has been running a football program for the young people of Castries East for almost fifteen years.  He started football as a young boy and by 15 he was already playing premier league in St Lucia.  Rising quickly in the ranks of St Lucia football, he was already training with the national senior squad at 17 and begun this football program.  He played his first game for St Lucia at 18, making his debut against Cuba.

That same year he was the game winner in Dominica where he scored 1-nil.

At 20 he went to Trinidad and was the youngest player among the St Lucians. Winning Most Improved Player in his second season, he achieved Player of the Year in his final season. “Then I decided to go into coaching because that’s the next step.  I’m still young to play but St Lucia football has dropped so low.  Instead people embrace you they’re always fighting you.  I don’t have the zeal anymore to play in St Lucia,” Xavier told the STAR as we sat in the rubbish infested bleachers.

Speaking about his inspiration, he said “I was already training with the senior national team and there were guys in the area with nothing to do so I thought why not? At that time it was about 20. Then the word got around and in total, in the different categories, we had close to two hundred.  Presently we have about eighty people on the different levels.”

Support from the community is almost non-existent because according to Xavier, “People don’t really see the need for the football program.  They don’t see the need but they always want to complain about the youths and they don’t do anything to assist.  Even when I try to organize tournaments, corporate St Lucia makes promises and at the last minute they don’t come through.  I guess they feel because it’s a Marchand thing they can do that.”

There are many challenges afflicting the program, the biggest being finance.  “We don’t really charge them. Most of them cannot afford it anyway.  So equipment-wise we’re really bad off.  Another factor is that I’m unemployed.  I went to St Mary’s College and graduated with all my CXCs, played in Trinidad professionally, returned to St Lucia and for some reason I cannot find employment.  If I cannot put things in place for myself I cannot put things in place for the boys.”

Xavier’s vision for the program includes finance, proper organization and better facilities. He got frustrated speaking about the challenges and stigmatization the youth of Marchand face.   Xavier admitted: “I don’t know why I continue to do this.  It’s probably a calling from the Most High.  Also too, I think if I don’t do it I might get caught up in all that’s going around here. You cannot fool the youths so I have to set a good example.  Knowing I have to do that, it keeps me away from certain things.  So this program not only helps them but it helps me as well.”

As we wrapped up the interview, Xavier looked out to the field where the boisterous boys were in an intense match and said “There are different organizations around the place.  Try and fit yourself in something! Sports, education and entertainment are the way out.  Right now the youths see more value in the gangsters because they have the big cars, the big chains, the girls and the money.  Sportsmen are not heroes anymore.  We need heroes.”

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:48 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 09:02:53 AM »
Good post Tallman, kudos to Mr. Xavier for trying to do the right thing in face of all these obstacles.

Offline dc68

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
I know he use to play for Caroni, not sure if its a next Alvin Xavier you talking about.
But whats your point anyway ?

Just working on a couple of financial and business support for him and his work with underprivileged youths (and football) in St Lucia. Since he played in Trinidad I just thought that this might be a good forum to get some more information on him. Tallman, thanks for the post.

1]; } ?>