April 29, 2024, 06:50:35 AM

Author Topic: Arrow Dead  (Read 9518 times)

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Arrow Dead
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
She would most certainly know my cousin.  ;D
She's a special person - helped to raise me. I'll leave her name out of this but here's a hint. When you talk to your moms. My cousin teaches Math.

That is senior comp uniforms there by the way
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 01:51:13 PM »
I know both schools were in the hall so forgive me is I didn't big up both...
I was a kid myself and this was a long time ago...

Can you tell which assembly hall that was so I can change the info??

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:58:35 PM by Deeks »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:44 AM »
I know both schools were in the hall so forgive me is I didn't big up both...
I was a kid myself and this was a long time ago...

Can you tell which assembly hall that was so I can change the info??

Two things strike me about the photos... first is Arrow outfit  :rotfl:

Next is that he performing here in '82, when he was already a star (even if Dave Elcock say "Hot, Hot, Hot" drop ah year later)... big coup fuh ah school to pull dat off.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »

Next is that he performing here in '82, when he was already a star (even if Dave Elcock say "Hot, Hot, Hot" drop ah year later)... big coup fuh ah school to pull dat off.

The miltary fatigue business was a style back then I think. That and them heavy boots in the hot sun.
Won't argue with Elcock, but it is a fact that Hot Hot Hot hit the scene in 1982, the same year that Minshall redefined mas with "Papillon". It was one of the reasons I was home. (for Minshall not Arrow - Arrow was an unexpected treat).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »

The miltary fatigue business was a style back then I think. That and them heavy boots in the hot sun.
Won't argue with Elcock, but it is a fact that Hot Hot Hot hit the scene in 1982, the same year that Minshall redefined mas with "Papillon". It was one of the reasons I was home. (for Minshall not Arrow - Arrow was an unexpected treat).

Me eh mind de camouflage smedium shirt... but de lime green faux overalls and tan cowboy boots take de cake fuh me, lol

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »
As seen on the New York Times obituary page (he arrived fuh sure!)

Arrow, Soca Musician, Dies at 6o

SAN JUAN, P.R. (AP) — Arrow, a soca musician who won global fame with his 1983 hit “Hot Hot Hot,” died on Wednesday at his home on the Caribbean island of Montserrat. He was 60.

The cause was complications of brain cancer, said his brother, Justin Cassell, a singer-songwriter who often collaborated with him.

Arrow, whose real name was Alphonsus Cassell, was among the best-known artists of Caribbean-born soca, a fusion music with roots in calypso.

“Calypso is political, tropical, slower,” Arrow told The Associated Press in a 1996 interview. “Soca is dance. ‘Feeling Hot Hot Hot.’ ” Many North Americans also heard the song in a cover version by Buster Poindexter.

Alphonsus Cassell was born on Nov. 16, 1949, into a musical family. In the 1970s he was influenced by the Trinidadian musician the Mighty Sparrow, long the international king of calypso. He was crowned Calypso King at Monterrat’s annual Christmas carnival four times before focusing on an international career.

In 1975 Arrow released “Monique,” a fusion of calypso with the cadence rhythms of Guadeloupe and Martinique. In later albums he continued to mix and match dance rhythms, adding bits of Dominican merengue, Venezuelan and Cuban salsa, Jamaican reggae, hip-hop, African music and American rock and country. His songs also moved away from calypso’s traditional role as social and political comment.

In the 1980s he performed on tours in Africa, the United States, Europe and Japan.

Arrow is survived by four children and two grandchildren.

“My first three or four albums were very strong lyrically,” he told The New York Times in 1989, “but that kind of song lacked commercial appeal. People want music to enjoy themselves with. This is the whole message of my music: ‘Have a good time, enjoy yourself.’ ”

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
so was he 56 or 60?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:48 AM »
so was he 56 or 60?

Being born Nov.16th 1949 would make him 60 this year and he would have been batting at 61 if he had survived passed his birthday in November!

Sad news that another Soca icon has bite the dust!

I believe over use of computer technology and the non-reliance on proper musicains is having a toll on the quality of music being produced today!

Back in tha day when talented musicans like Ed Watson & Leston Paul were arranging most of the early soca hits they used a bit of the latest computer terchnology to give the music a modern uptodate feel but real musicians playing real instruments who knew and studied music were being used by our soca stars in the recording studios.

I think this is why the quality of most of the soca tracks being produced today has suffered and don't pass the test of time! These days its mainly about fast food music to last one season (or one year) and then most of it is throw away (put aside and forgotten) when the new batch of fast food music comes out again next year!   :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:59:43 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 09:01:20 AM »
Being born Nov.16th 1949 would make him 60 this year and he would have been batting at 61 if he had survived passed his birthday in November!

I believe over use of computer technology and the non-reliance on proper musicains is having a toll on the quality of music being produced today!

Back in tha day when talented musicans like Ed Watson & Leston Paul were arranging most of the early soca hits they used a bit of the latest computer terchnology to give the music a modern uptodate feel but real musicians playing real instruments who knew and studied music were being used by our soca stars in the recording studios.

I think this is why the quality of most of the soca tracks being produced today has suffered and don't pass the test of time! These days is mainly about fast food music to last one season one year and then most of it is throw away when the new batch comes out new year!   :D

I've seen his age as 56 and as 60 which put the 1949 date in question.

I hear you on the fast food music thing. But everyone seems to be doing that - from Gaga to JW and Blaise. There was a time when "Palance" and "yuh wha sorrel or wha" would have been a rum shop joke for a few weeks instead oif a viral hit.
But say what...talent is being redefined and being able to actually sing, dance or play an instrument is for geeks.
too bad though...

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:46 AM »

I think this is why the quality of most of the soca tracks being produced today has suffered and don't pass the test of time! These days is mainly about fast food music to last one season one year and then most of it is throw away when the new batch comes out new year!   :D

I hear you on the fast food music thing. But everyone seems to be doing that - from Gaga to JW and Blaise. There was a time when "Palance" and "yuh wha sorrel or wha" would have been a rum shop joke for a few weeks instead oif a viral hit.
But say what...talent is being redefined and being able to actually sing, dance or play an instrument is for geeks.
too bad though...

Wikipedia has his date of birth as November 16, 1949 so i think its safe to go with that!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_(musician)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:07:20 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 08:37:07 AM »

too bad though...

Wikipedia has his date of birth as November 16, 1949 so i think its safe to go with that!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_(musician)

When I checked wikipedia on Sep 15, they had his birth date as 1954. I remember that because i was thinking that if he was born in 54, then he would have been runner up runner up in the Montserrat Calypso King competition at age 15 which seemed a bit young to me. 

Looks like Wikipedia update the birth date.  That make more sense now.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So long Soca king
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »
So long Soca king
By Mark Sandell (BBC)

Montserrat said goodbye to its favourite son yesterday. Half the island's 5,000 population packed into the Cultural Centre to give thanks for the life of Alphonsus 'Arrow' Cassell in a service which – although sombre - had real moments of warm humour.

The Cultural Centre nestles in the hills near the island's airport - it is overlooked by Arrow's Man Shop on one side and is next to a cricket pitch on the other, both representing two of the Soca King's passions; commerce and cricket (he loved the game in general, and Brian Lara in particular).

His others – music, his family of course and his country – were all reflected in the two hour service which, appropriately enough took place in temperatures that were Hot, Hot, Hot.

His arrow-shaped, red-decked coffin fittingly took centre stage, flanked by black curtains featuring golden arrows pointing to the sky. The venue was the Sir George Martin Auditorium, and this worked too as the legendary Beatles producer (and Montserrat resident) was an early champion of the then fledgling Calypso talent that Arrow was.

The mourners wore mainly black but many wore red too and those that couldn't fit in were accommodated outside in sweltering tents with televisions showing the service. Some of the tributes were in song but others like long-time friend Enid Laukam from Trinidad gave a real glimpse of the early years of Arrow's career.

Enid talked about how Arrow came to play at the Trinidad carnival and wasn't well-liked by the other Calypsonians. She said it was because they feared his talent, "and his songs were catchy and jumpy and he was a hit with the ladies".

At the end, she told the audience: "Montserrat. Montserratians; Arrow loved you".

At the other end of Arrow's life, AJ – one of his sons - brought laughter when he described a conversation he had with his father as he lay seriously ill with cerebral cancer: AJ asked him if he was feeling strong: Arrow replied, "Like I could lift a car. This is not a strength-related illness son!"

And his business colleague John Wyke finished his tribute by suggesting that Arrow would be "teaching Soca to the angels".

Afterwards, the funeral procession left for Arrow's home in Lime Kiln. A beautiful villa with views that someone said , with black humour, were "to die for". Around 200 sang hymns as the arrow-shaped casket was lowered into the ground in his garden.

There's talk now of making that villa an Arrow museum and there are plans for a National Arrow Day but there's no danger of his being forgotten. As one relative wrote in the order of service:

"He had a heart of gold, a voice of silver and a spirit bigger than either his physical stature – or his country".
Groove Master laid to rest
nationnews.com

SOCA GROOVE MASTER Alphonsus Arrow Cassell was laid to rest earlier today following a more than two hour long funeral service.

Arrow passed away on September 15, after losing the battle with brain cancer.

His body arrived at the Montserrat Cultural Centre at 10 a.m. in a red and yellow-trimmed cedar coffin of a 3D conceptual arrow. Some traditional hymns were also rearranged to bring a folk feel to the 2 p.m. funeral service that was preceded by a private ceremony for the family at the St Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church in Lookout.

A steady stream of onlookers viewed the body as it lay in repose at the Cultural Centre, four hours before the funeral service began.

Local entertainer Red Plastic Bag (RPB) and Edwin Yearwood, former members of Arrow’s Multinational Force Band, Short Shirt, Swallow, Leston Paul and Onyan of Burning Flames were among those from the entertainment fraternity attending the funeral, which attracted dignitaries from throughout the Caribbean.

Chief Minister of Montserrat Reuben Meade, Minister of Culture, Carnival and Independence Aleston Namba Adams, Antigua and Barbuda’s Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer, Chairman of Antigua’s Carnival Vaughn Walters and Trinidad’s Minister of Art and Multiculturalism Winston Gypsy Peters were also in attendance.

Even though his passing has been a blow to the fraternity, the service was more celebratory than solemn as mourners packed the building, spilling on to the outside.

Prime Minister Spencer and Gypsy were among those who joined family members in paying glowing tribute to the life and work of the man who took calypso and the Caribbean to the world.

The celebrations continued well after the funeral service with a concert at the Montserrat Cultural Centre.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »
The man bury in he own garden yes... lovely.  Sounds like they struck a perfect balance between solemnity, tribute and festivity.

1]; } ?>