April 28, 2024, 02:15:41 PM

Author Topic: Stoke heading for a rollercoaster ride following arrival of Kenwyne Jones  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stoke heading for a rollercoaster ride following arrival of Kenwyne Jones
By John Percy (football.fanhouse.co.uk)

John Terry has called him the most difficult opponent he has ever faced in the Premier League, while Steve Bruce branded him inconsistent and a frustrating, unfulfilled talent.

Welcome to the unpredictable world of Kenwyne Jones.

Not many strikers currently operating in the top flight continue to polarise such opinion as the giant Trinidad & Tobago international.

And Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, is already acutely aware that he possesses a player who will force him to throw his trademark baseball cap to the floor in disgust many times this season.

Don't forget, Jones has been courted in the past by the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, among others. Even Terry is believed to have given a glowing recommendation to the Chelsea hierarchy after one particularly testing duel.

But Bruce could not wait to send the 25-year-old packing this summer, agreeing to push him through the Stadium of Light exit door after finally running out of patience.

Pulis is the latest brave soul to take on the enigma, forking out a club record £8 million to recruit him at Stoke and, in their victory over Aston Villa, the club's fans witnessed verything that is brilliant and teeth-gnashingly infuriating about him.

For large portions of the first half he was virtually unplayable, undertaking a private contest between himself and Villa goalkeeper Brad Friedel.

Then, for most of the second period, nothing. While he was not exactly anonymous, he had nothing like the influence he had enjoyed in the first.

Ten minutes from time, however, he rose to claw Stoke back into the game with the goal that ultimately gave his side the belief that they could secure their first victory of the season.

It was still a devastating reminder of what Jones can offer to Stoke. He will benefit the rest of the team too.

Just when you thought Rory Delap's infamous exocet missiles from the touchlines had now been rendered largely ineffective by opposing defences, Jones's arrival has ensured that this particular Potters' weapon remains as potent as ever.

With the likes of Matty Etherington and Jermaine Pennant operating on the flanks Jones will be guaranteed chances this season. He is refusing to publicly reveal his targets for the season but he should be aiming for 15 goals minimum.

Pulis just needs to man-manage him correctly. He has established a reputation for taming wayward players in the past and Jones will undoubtedly present a challenge. It promises to be quite an exciting ride, though.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stoke heading for a rollercoaster ride following arrival of Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »
He has a reputation for taming "wayward players" ? since when KJ wayward? and how come he eh tame fuller yet.  stuepss!  in the words of a well known forumite, play yuh football son.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »
He has a reputation for taming "wayward players" ? since when KJ wayward? and how come he eh tame fuller yet.  stuepss!  in the words of a well known forumite, play yuh football son.

fuller is a stoke city legend , KJ have just got his 1st goal for stoke , Fuller got his in the 2nd game of the fixture . The point is u cannot make comparison with Kenwyn 'rookie' jones &Fuller . Fuller is stoke city leading goal scorer for 3 seasons , what did i say ? DNEGEL , let mi write it a bit clerer , LEGEND !

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »

fuller is a stoke city legend , KJ have just got his 1st goal for stoke , Fuller got his in the 2nd game of the fixture . The point is u cannot make comparison with Kenwyn 'rookie' jones &Fuller . Fuller is stoke city leading goal scorer for 3 seasons , what did i say ? DNEGEL , let mi write it a bit clerer , LEGEND !

^^^^^^ ::) :rotfl:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »

Stoke City certainly have extremely low expectations if Ricardo Fuller and his 8 goals in 41 appearances last season is a LEGEND

Thankfully for their sake, they've decided to significantly raise those expectations with the acquisition of Kenwyne Jones.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »

Stoke City certainly have extremely low expectations if Ricardo Fuller and his 8 goals in 41 appearances last season is a LEGEND

Thankfully for their sake, they've decided to significantly raise those expectations with the acquisition of Kenwyne Jones.

Is LEGEND da f**kin man say dey?!!  buh WDMC I relly readin hea boi!!  :rotfl:

No wonder dey sen fuh KJ in troot

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 03:12:07 PM »

Yuh just hate tuh hear the name jamaica or fuller mentioned in ah sentence or what??

yuh jump on the thread hot and sweaty without understanding the nature of the response. fella! i not comparing KJ with fuller! unlike you, i not runnin no competition wid you guy in respect to fuller and KJ's ability!

i happened to think fuller is ah very good player and i highly rate the fella. my response was not in regard to fuller's ability, but rather his disciplinary short comings.  so go sit in ah tub of ice water and cool yuh fackin self pleassseeeee. ::)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:26:15 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kaiser

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »
i tell allyuh jamaican does only big up one another in front of others .

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »

lol
KJ was brought in to be Stoke's new main striker.
Deal with it.
It does not mean that they will get rid of Fuller, he still has a part to play.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
KJ have just got his 1st goal for stoke
No he haven't.

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »

lol
Deal with it.

still fuller was the one that open doors for all these caribbean players @ stoke ,. hello!
 :yapping:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 05:00:28 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Fuller a legend... well that make my day!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 06:47:33 PM »

lol
Deal with it.

still fuller was the one that open doors for all these caribbean players @ stoke ,. hello!
 :yapping:

Fact, KJ was @ stoke before fuller!

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 08:28:34 PM »
Gudjohnsen and KJ partnership with Fuller off the BENCH as soon as Gudjohnsen is 100% and even Johnathon Walters is ahead of Fuller. Fuller is good but not a "LEGEND" as jamaicantom says LMFAO

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »
Gudjohnsen and KJ partnership with Fuller off the BENCH as soon as Gudjohnsen is 100% and even Johnathon Walters is ahead of Fuller. Fuller is good but not a "LEGEND" as jamaicantom says LMFAO
Breds, i not in the jingoism business ;D.  truth be told, fuller is ah beast of ah forward, and is extremely skillful, and if i was to be totally honest, i'll say fuller has better command of his feet than KJ, (in other words , he have ah better foot game). albeit as it may, KJ is ah better athlete and aerial threat, but fuller is no slouch.

so doh sell him short BC he's not one of ours.   the fella damn good!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:04:24 PM by just cool »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 12:27:02 AM »

He might have been leading scorer, but Fuller had the lowest goals per shot ratio in the entire Premiership last season. That is not legendary.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 02:19:04 AM »
Who is Fuller?   ???
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:22:42 AM by sHOTTA12 »

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 07:50:36 AM »
Breds, i not in the jingoism business ;D.  truth be told, fuller is ah beast of ah forward, and is extremely skillful, and if i was to be totally honest, i'll say fuller has better command of his feet than KJ, (in other words , he have ah better foot game). albeit as it may, KJ is ah better athlete and aerial threat, but fuller is no slouch.

so doh sell him short BC he's not one of ours.   the fella damn good!
I didnt slate fuller in any way. But wat i said is true, he is a bench player for Stoke

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »

u all are some f**king ungrateful shit house !, after fuller open doors for u all rotten behinds this is what
u all said , if fuller did,nt play so well the stereotype of caribbean people been good players would,nt catch on to pulis , palos ow many time ah tell u to stap chat fawt, fuller is the leading goal scorer for stoke since championship days , fuller was the one that carries the robot team on his back and deliver them to the epl ,
fuller 8 goals last season was the most overall in all leagues for stoke a, u ungrateful trini .

:bs:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 06:00:38 PM »

u all are some f**king ungrateful shit house !, after fuller open doors for u all rotten behinds this is what
u all said , if fuller did,nt play so well the stereotype of caribbean people been good players would,nt catch on to pulis , palos ow many time ah tell u to stap chat fawt, fuller is the leading goal scorer for stoke since championship days , fuller was the one that carries the robot team on his back and deliver them to the epl ,
fuller 8 goals last season was the most overall in all leagues for stoke a, u ungrateful trini .

Eh boy cool yuh self nah fella, no need for all dis venom, remember it's ah trini site yuh on! no body eh send for yuh, yuh came here freely, if yuh doh like what yuh hearing then just ride out and doh come back, after all, i did dat when i went on the RBZ site and seen some things that was upsetting and i never went back.

you have the very same option, but yuh can't come here and talk all this trini dis and trini dat talk, ah wont stand for it.

i bad in meh own yard, and if yuh come in my yard and dis the program, ah will give yuh ah beat down, same as if i come in your yard and dis the program, then i should take whatever ah get.

BTW, don't forget that dwight york, latapy and stern john playing in the UK longer than fuller eh. so be carful when yuh say who open what, when and how!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »

It gets even better.. The man say Fuller do something good for the stereotype of Caribbean players.. :rotfl: :rotfl:

The same ignorant fool who slap his captain and get send off in the middle of a game and break a woman nose in a nightclub..

If anything, yuh boy reinforced a negative stereotype fellah.. I won't tell you what that is to start a next setta nonsense, but yuh big and have sense to figure out what that is.

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
u r right just colo , this site have been to cruel to yard people .

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »

It gets even better.. The man say Fuller do something good for the stereotype of Caribbean players.. :rotfl: :rotfl:

The same ignorant fool who slap his captain and get send off in the middle of a game and break a woman nose in a nightclub..

If anything, yuh boy reinforced a negative stereotype fellah.. I won't tell you what that is to start a next setta nonsense, but yuh big and have sense to figure out what that is.

thats it while u trinis will make love to a man, a ja'can will defend his right and wont be push around . People respect us more than u all.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »
FU#K FULLER....HAWK TOO

he ever play in a World Cup ??..

This J Tom fella eh good...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »

thats it while u trinis will make love to a man, a ja'can will defend his right and wont be push around . People respect us more than u all.
HAHA Jamaiaca full ah macomareman/ mamaman, and you is ah prime example! every time yuh come on here is tuh beat yuh fackin tribal drum in ppl head! why yuh doh do the world ah favor and go sit on ah aids cock and leave ppl nerves alone wid all dis jamiaca and trini nonsense.

yuh so dunce that yuh cyar grasp the concept that all ah we is black ppl and we all came through slavery and colonialism @ the hand of the same oppressor, but ppl like you always quick tuh big up yuh slave colony over black unity yuh dick weed!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 08:23:41 AM »
This man put his foot in his mouth 4 times in one thread.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
Even de Jamaicans deyself saying dis uncle Tom fella is ah mad man... I dunno why allyuh even bothering wid him.

...meanwhile Kenwyne again... while Fuller riding pine.

Parker and Jones on scoresheet

Updated: September 18, 2010, 3:52 AM ET

Kenwyne Jones netted his second goal in two matches as Stoke drew with West Ham at the Britannia Stadium.

The visitors, whose manager Avram Grant was observing Yom Kippur and not present at the game, took the lead in the first half thanks to Scott Parker's close-range finish.

Stoke came back strongly after the break, with Jones following up his goal at Aston Villa on Monday by heading home in the 48th minute after connecting with a cross from the impressive Jermaine Pennant.

The two teams had lost seven out of eight Premier League games between them before the start of play and it was a scrappy opening.

Rory Delap sent a long throw into the box which Abdoulaye Faye could not connect with properly and at the other end Carlton Cole struck an effort well wide of Thomas Sorensen's goal.

Victor Obinna had a little more conviction moments later when he fired in a volley, but it took a deflection and Sorensen was able to catch comfortably.

Robert Green, who had spilled a Didier Drogba free-kick in the build-up to a goal in the Hammers' previous match against Chelsea, almost repeated the error when he failed to deal with Pennant's delivery into the box, but his blushes were spared as Robert Huth hit the loose ball against the post.

Valon Behrami then picked up the game's first booking to give away another free-kick in a similar area which Pennant used to tee up Jones, but the Trinidadian sliced his shot over the bar.

Having seen Stoke fail to make the most of their set-pieces, West Ham then took the lead via a free-kick of their own.

Obinna crossed it into the box in the 32nd minute and the ball bounced off two red and white shirts before Parker prodded it over the line.

Looking energised, the visitors almost doubled their lead within two minutes as Frederic Piquionne unleashed a drive from the edge of the area which cracked against the bar.

Stoke attempted to regroup and Jones got his head to another Delap throw-in but sent it over.

Tony Pulis' half-time team-talk had inspired the Potters to come from behind and win against Villa and it seemed as if the manager's words at the interval had made an impact again as the hosts pulled level within three minutes of the restart.

Jon Walters released Pennant down the right channel and the former Arsenal and Liverpool winger played in a delightful cross which Jones headed in at the far post.

Former Hammer Matthew Etherington had a chance to put Stoke ahead soon after having been fed by Jones, but saw his effort deflect behind for a corner.

Pennant was providing plenty of impetus and delivered another great ball into the danger zone which Walters was just unable to meet.

Green then gave a reminder of his quality by pulling off a fantastic save, tipping Jones' strike against the post after the striker had outmuscled Matthew Upson.

Pulis brought on Ricardo Fuller for Walters with 20 minutes remaining and Pennant lofted another handy ball into the box for Jones, who was flagged offside.

West Ham had barely mustered anything in an attacking sense since half-time, but suddenly called Sorensen into action, the Danish goalkeeper diving at full stretch to palm Obinna's shot around the post.

From the resulting corner Mark Noble sent in a cross which Manuel Da Costa headed goalwards, but again Sorensen kept West Ham at bay, getting down low to his left.

Jones was then substituted, with Eidur Gudjohnsen receiving a fantastic reception from the Stoke fans as he came on for his debut.

With 10 minutes to go Fuller came close to finding a winner with a header from Delap's throw which bounced into the turf and up off the bar.

Green then pushed a strike from Etherington over as West Ham hung on to secure a point.

Parker taking positives from result

West Ham midfielder Scott Parker said the Hammers can take "huge positives" out of the result.

"I think we controlled the game in the first half and probably deserved to be 1-0 up," Parker told Sky Sports 2. "I think we can take huge positives out of today.

"They put us under immense pressure and we defended really well. We came here today low in confidence and we can leave high in confidence."

Asked about the absence of manager Avram Grant, who was observing the Jewish holy day Yom Kippur, Parker said: "It was going to be difficult when your manager's not here but we understand the circumstances. We just got on with it and came here and got a result."

Jermaine Pennant, who set up Jones' equaliser, was later substituted after suffering an injury. "I can walk and there's no pain so hopefully it will not be long," he said.

West Ham senior coach Paul Groves said: "It's a good point. The players showed a good togetherness today. They could have quite easily have gone under."

Scoring Summary 

Stoke City                                West Ham United 
Kenwyne Jones (48)              Scott Parker (32)

Stoke City                                 West Ham United 

Shots (on Goal)  13(3)           13(6) 
Fouls  14                             12 
Corner Kicks  6                     3 
Offsides  3                           2 
Time of Possession  41%        59% 
Yellow Cards  3                    2 
Red Cards  0                        0 
Saves  5                             2 

Match Information 

Stadium: Britannia Stadium, England
Attendance: 27,028
Match Time: 07:45 ET
Referee: Lee Mason

Teams 

Stoke City                              West Ham United 

29 Thomas Sorensen           1 Robert Green
25 Abdoulaye Faye             15 Matthew Upson
17 Ryan Shawcross             22 Manuel Da Costa
5 Danny Collins                   4 Daniel Gabbidon
4 Robert Huth                    37 Lars Jacobsen
18 Dean Whitehead             8 Scott Parker
24 Rory Delap                    16 Mark Noble
26 Matthew Etherington      21 Valon Behrami
16 Jermaine Pennant           33 Victor Obinna
19 Jonathan Walters           9 Carlton Cole
9 Kenwyne Jones               30 Frederic Piquionne

Substitutes

10 Ricardo Fuller                Luis Boa Morte 13
6 Glenn Whelan                 Benedict McCarthy 17
3 Danny Higginbotham        Julien Faubert 20
7 Eidur Gudjohnsen             Pablo Barrera 12
28 Andy Wilkinson              Radoslav Kovac 14
12 Marc Wilson                  Marek Stech 29
27 Asmir Begovic               James Tomkins 5

Substitutions

Ricardo Fuller for Jonathan Walters (66)
Radoslav Kovac for Valon Behrami (52)

Eidur Gudjohnsen for Kenwyne Jones (73)
Luis Boa Morte for Victor Obinna (90)

Glenn Whelan for Jermaine Pennant (83)

Yellow Cards

Rory Delap (24)
Valon Behrami (21)

Dean Whitehead (45)
Carlton Cole (39)

Danny Collins (84)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=292992&league=ENG.1&cc=5901
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:33:56 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 11:06:08 AM »

Garth Crooks? Gordon Banks? Stanley Matthews? Geoff Hurst? NAH! RICARDO FULLER!  :rotfl:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 05:46:43 PM »
Jermaine Pennant (hamstring), Jonathan Walters (ankle) and Kenwyne Jones (groin) are all major doubts for Stoke.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »

HAHA Jamaiaca full ah macomareman/ mamaman, and you is ah prime example! every time yuh come on here is tuh beat yuh fackin tribal drum in ppl head! why yuh doh do the world ah favor and go sit on ah aids cock and leave ppl nerves alone wid all dis jamiaca and trini nonsense.

yuh so dunce that yuh cyar grasp the concept that all ah we is black ppl and we all came through slavery and colonialism @ the hand of the same oppressor, but ppl like you always quick tuh big up yuh slave colony over black unity yuh dick weed!

;D
Ah enjoying this!! Whey de popcorn?!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>