April 25, 2024, 03:00:01 AM

Author Topic: World Soccer magazine  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World Soccer magazine
« on: September 17, 2010, 04:31:10 AM »
hey... not sure how many here know or remember the magazine called world Soccer....should still be around... back in the 80's and 90's i lived on them....before this great forum and the internet of course...
thankfully i had ..well still have some best friends who are pilots...and they flew to london back then.. and the mag was a must for me....
it listed concacaf scores..even tnt league results...
this is where you could get updates on the few euro based players..latas...lewis..marcelle..nakhid..yorkie etc...
i used to go straight to the Portuguese section to check the tnt boys....

I would still buy one today...
i still like to hold a physical mag or news paper and read.. old school nah....
i will read the local paper football stories first... then respond on the forum to the same story... plus ah have this bad habit of eating and reading...must...lol... i make breakfast..put it away..and zip down to get papers and hurry back just to eat and read...
the internet took away some of that gloss...but the forum and the net is champion today..and thanks to the mods for this...
small mag cant believe we used to watch english matches like 3 weeks after on TV... he cant even watch a delayed game on the same day....lol...
not to mention starving for a news report on latas and lewis and them...those were the days my friend.. i thought they would never end...

lets all stay strong for tnt football in this rough time...have no fear... we are tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: World Soccer magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:39 AM »
Believe me I still have all the mags from the 80's right through. Great magazine.
I actually still pick up World Soccer at the news stand because they have excellent interviews and insight. Champions magazine is one of the best now and it seems they have the indepth stories from players and coaches (not just fluffy shite).
Talk about starved for football information in dem days. Tell Small Mag we use to have to go Strand to see WC 1970 days after the games play  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »
hey... not sure how many here know or remember the magazine called world Soccer....should still be around... back in the 80's and 90's i lived on them....before this great forum and the internet of course...
thankfully i had ..well still have some best friends who are pilots...and they flew to london back then.. and the mag was a must for me....
it listed concacaf scores..even tnt league results...
this is where you could get updates on the few euro based players..latas...lewis..marcelle..nakhid..yorkie etc...
i used to go straight to the Portuguese section to check the tnt boys....

I would still buy one today...
i still like to hold a physical mag or news paper and read.. old school nah....
i will read the local paper football stories first... then respond on the forum to the same story... plus ah have this bad habit of eating and reading...must...lol... i make breakfast..put it away..and zip down to get papers and hurry back just to eat and read...
the internet took away some of that gloss...but the forum and the net is champion today..and thanks to the mods for this...
small mag cant believe we used to watch english matches like 3 weeks after on TV... he cant even watch a delayed game on the same day....lol...
not to mention starving for a news report on latas and lewis and them...those were the days my friend.. i thought they would never end...

lets all stay strong for tnt football in this rough time...have no fear... we are tnt

Nice post... I used to cut out de pictures from de papers and stick dem up on de press.

dat magazine still around... I does still see it on meh travels...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:29:38 AM »
Yeah I used to look forward to the December issue with the player of the year. Remember 1989 when we were voted the tenth best team in the world and they had the strike squad on the back cover? I still have that magazine home somewhere...(mind u i was 9 at the time, eh!)
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »
Yeah I used to look forward to the December issue with the player of the year. Remember 1989 when we were voted the tenth best team in the world and they had the strike squad on the back cover? I still have that magazine home somewhere...(mind u i was 9 at the time, eh!)

I remember dat well, Gally was de coach  ;D
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »
Nice post Big Mag!!! :beermug:

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »
4-4-2 is still make a good mag. a lil expensive since is a UK import though.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
yeah good post Big Mag, bringing back real memories of when football was larger than life.

Wolrd Soccer still around. I had a subscription for several years up until recently. Shamefully I just don't have time to read it anymore, so I stop. I does still pick it up before and after a Euros or the WC as memeorabilia. Hopefully my kids will get a kick out of it when they get older.

It was hard to come by in TnT though. I rememebr a man who used to sell magazines in the peoples mall used to get Shoot and World Soccer back in the early 90's but his supply was real unreliable. Price was high too, about 60.00 - 80.00 for a WS and 30 for a Shoot but when yuh get it it was like gold in the pre-internet, pre-cable age.

Talking about them times anybody used to listen to the BBC World Service on SW radio. They used to have a "super saturday" like program every saturday from 10.00 - 12.00 and thay would have a 15 minute sports report at 1.45, 6.45, 11.45 everyday. I had an old radio with them SW bands on it and I remeber dropping everything to strain my ears to hear the English scores and match analysis.

A next great source for football back then Evening News and Evening Sun. Whereas Express and Guardian had a small football section, both of them papers was pulling down every AP article they could find on English Italian and Spanish football just to full up the paper every day.12
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
Nice post BM..

I does see World Soccer man..

Right now I subscribe to Champions magazine and get bi-monthly issues.. Thats the best one for me, real genuine, detailed and insightful articles without the glitz and glamour of a 4-4-2.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:57 PM »
Talking about them times anybody used to listen to the BBC World Service on SW radio. They used to have a "super saturday" like program every saturday from 10.00 - 12.00 and thay would have a 15 minute sports report at 1.45, 6.45, 11.45 everyday. I had an old radio with them SW bands on it and I remeber dropping everything to strain my ears to hear the English scores and match analysis.

Yea JDB.. correck.. I used to listen with meh grand father..he used to play the betting pools on english fooball.. so would hear all the scores there.. thats where you heard names like blackpool..sc**thorpe..and all dem small teams...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
World Soccer was a God-send for football nutcases like me in the past. Now we get now for now world wide info from the internet. I still buy it on occasions. I also you to get Don Balon(Spanish), Mondial and Onze(both french). Their pix were glossy and pretty nice. I think these two have merged. I also use to check Placar(brazilian) especially if they had a lot of pix and articles of Flamengo in it.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 07:27:29 AM »
Maaaaan, I ketch a vapse and trow way a whole 5 - 6 boxes of magazines de other day,  (World Socccer, Shhot, 4-4-2, When Sunday Comes and any forein-language wit a 'keeper featuring in de table of contents) goin' all de way back to the mid 80's.  When I move to this country in them times, that was my ONLY source of football and I meh self was subscribin' fuh a while.  Just as JDB said, technology and reosponsibilites have affected the attention span and man no longer have the time to sidding and read so much ting.  We rather spend de time fightin' on de forum.  :devil:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »
I with Big Mag, internet and TV are more up to the minute but there's nothing like sitting down with a good magazine or book.

I can usually find FourFourTwo and World Soccer at the big book stores (Borders, Barnes & Noble, Joseph-Beth etc.) here in Charlotte.  Personally I prefer FourFourTwo to World Soccer.  Damn thing costs about $11 but I pick it up occasionally.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
Ditto to all the above ... SHOOT was a great source of team pics and I would plaster them anywhere I could. I'm down with football literature all round. Globalization has really altered how fans perceive the game.

1]; } ?>