April 28, 2024, 04:58:46 AM

Author Topic: Keon Daniel may not return to the Philadelphia Union in 2011  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keon Daniel may not return to the Philadelphia Union in 2011
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:52:40 AM »
Keon Daniel may not return to the Philadelphia Union in 2011
By Jersha (brotherlygame.com)

Keon Daniel may not return to the Philadelphia Union this season, according to a source close to the player.

The source told the Brotherly Game that, "Keon [Daniel] isn't coming back this season. I know people thought he would return in a week or two, but no. Not until next season."

When asked about the reasons for why Daniel will not return this season, the source said, "Someone forgot to redo his work permit or visa."

A league source told Scott Kessler, the Brotherly Game's Managing Editor, that if Daniel is unavailable for the remainder of the season the Union can utilize his international roster spot for another player. However, this situation would require that Daniel either be released or placed on an injury list by the MLS roster freeze. The problem with the latter is that Daniel is not technically in a position to be placed on such a list.

The problems for the 25-year-old stem from his attempt to return from international duty. Daniel was recently called up to play in 2014 World Cup qualifiers for Trinidad and Tobago. Due to playing for T&T, Daniel missed the Union's September 7 game, a 4-4 draw with New England.

Some time before Saturday, September 10,  reports surfaced that Daniel would not be available for that day's match versus the Portland Timbers because of immigration issues.

Although the team would not confirm or deny the reports, Kerith Gabriel, of  the Philadelphia Daily News and Philly.com, tweeted that a representative from the Union sent saying that Daniel would "not be available for tomorrow's match. We are working to resolve the issues and hope to have a prompt solution."

Since coming to the Union, after playing with the Puerto Rico Islanders, Daniel has played in 18 games, starting 9 of them. Daniel has played a total of 888 minutes, accumulating one goal, two assists, with six fouls committed and one caution.

Daniel's last match for the Union was August 20 versus the Columbus Crew, when he logged 73 minutes and was credited with one assist.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keon Daniel may not return to the Philadelphia Union in 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:57:53 AM »
what kind of craziness!!!!!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:17:27 AM »
I was waiting for this story. I had heard that he may not be back but the reasons are unclear.

From what I heard Saturday is that the club would say immigration problems or personal issues and that may not be the whole truth.

Will try to see if I can get more info. The whole thing very fishy
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:05 AM »
I hope it eh no small issue from in the past come back to bite him?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:49:23 AM »
Somebody have 2 know d story leh we know it plssssssssssss.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
i need 2 know the story too. I95.5fm should do there job and look into it.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »
If is a minor visa issue, i would think its something the government could liaise with the US embassy and assist with. This is a national player after all, must have some diplomatic recourse..

Unless it have more in it of course.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »
This one sounding fishy in trute :thinking:

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
even just on work permit situations, it have so much thing could go wrong....
You would think a professional MLS club with international players will have a competent immigration law firm advising them.
there has to be more to this.

if its a slip by the immigration people on that side, even as a national player, he is not guaranteed of any preferential treatment by diplomatic means...

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
madness! maybe they could loan him somewhere?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »
You would think a professional MLS club with international players will have a competent immigration law firm advising them.

if its a slip by the immigration people on that side, even as a national player, he is not guaranteed of any preferential treatment by diplomatic means...

Actually, I not too surprised nah, at fortune 500 companies, mistakes are made where visa issues are concerned, not justifying it, but usually it is advisable, as the employee, to stay on top of these folks to make sure your house in order.  Hopefully it work out for KD, he priming right now, hope he stays on de up and up
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
If is a minor visa issue, i would think its something the government could liaise with the US embassy and assist with. This is a national player after all, must have some diplomatic recourse..

Unless it have more in it of course.

The US Embassy in Trinidad is a law unto themsleves,they does turn down people left rignt and center.They doh cyar if yuh going to yuh mother funeral or yuh son wedding.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »
Wow...That real disappointing boy. Maybe de didn't have a work permit to begin with and was playing on a visitors Visa. Uncle SAM eh go like that once they find out. Have to be more than just a work permit renewal.

Is he even in the US. Does anyone know?
Two islands are better than one.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »

Actually, I not too surprised nah, at fortune 500 companies, mistakes are made where visa issues are concerned, not justifying it, but usually it is advisable, as the employee, to stay on top of these folks to make sure your house in order.  Hopefully it work out for KD, he priming right now, hope he stays on de up and up

I understood this to be handled by the MLS centrally rather than by the clubs specifically. I stand to be corrected. However, aside from that, the MLS has a dedicated liaison for international players. They hired for this position not long ago.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
I understood this to be handled by the MLS centrally rather than by the clubs specifically. I stand to be corrected. However, aside from that, the MLS has a dedicated liaison for international players. They hired for this position not long ago.

Yep... The league works with the clubs to obtain player visas and determine who needs what. This is not something that somebody could just forget to do. He was signed in an international slot.

Wow...That real disappointing boy. Maybe de didn't have a work permit to begin with and was playing on a visitors Visa. Uncle SAM eh go like that once they find out. Have to be more than just a work permit renewal.

Is he even in the US. Does anyone know?

That would stretch the imagination if that was the case. He more than likely had the proper papers at some point recently.

From what I understanding, he was in Philadelphia as of Friday. Where exactly, I cannot say.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:48 AM »
Forget old talk, just play—Daniel.
By Shaun Fuentes.

United States-based midfielder Keon Daniel says players like him who are reaping the benefits of opportunities must do whatever they can to inspire others who ply their trade in the local leagues.

The Philadelphia Union player has made a name for himself since arriving at the club in March and believes there are also opportunities for others to follow.

“Hard work pays off. It’s great for me being there and it’s the same for others who are based overseas. We’ve worked hard and it’s important for us to build on this and try to help football overall,” the 24-year-old from Lambeau, Tobago said.

Giving a brief insight into life as a professional player, Daniel explained: “It is inspiring to see the way you are treated by the club. The MLS standard is pretty high. Everything is well prepared. You come in early, the pitch is well prepared.

“It’s much better than home. We say we are professionals but we do things anyhow. Hopefully the guys from abroad can help those back home by talking to them and trying to inspire them.

And hopefully the League can learn as well as the persons who run the clubs.” He normally arrives at the training ground 90 minutes before the session to spend time with team-mates and in the process improve the camaraderie.

“Then you just have to go there and play football. I have become more aggressive since I arrived there. If you are not aggressive then you won’t play.

“There are a lot of players competing for spots in the team. Forget the old talk and just play football,” Daniel summed up the approach to the game abroad.

He is two games short of 50 appearances for T&T, scoring nine goals. Daniel’s agent Andre Fortune said Union’s immigration attorney was assisting in the player’s visa problem (which prevented him from playing for the club last weekend) and the TTFF may be asked for assistance.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 05:57:37 AM »
www.trinidadexpress.com

Keon Daniel still in Trinidad

Ten days after representing Trinidad and Tobago in World Cup qualifiers against Bermuda and Barbados, United States-based Philadelphia Union midfielder Keon Daniel is still in Trinidad.

The player is having visa issues and not allowed re-entry into the USA to rejoin his Major League Soccer (MLS) club. Daniel's agent Andre Fortune said Union's immigration attorney was assisting in the player's visa problem.

Twenty-four-year-old Daniel was signed in March from Puerto Rico Islanders. Contacted yesterday, a TTFF source said: "The club is sorting it out. They do not require the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) to do anything. Their attorneys are handling the matter."

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 07:43:12 AM »

Yep... The league works with the clubs to obtain player visas and determine who needs what. This is not something that somebody could just forget to do. He was signed in an international slot.
Whether is a dedicated liason(s) from the league or the club itself is irrelevant, these mistakes, believe it or not, happen all the time, with huge businesses, not saying they did not drop the ball, they did, but every foreign assignee/employee has to follow up on these issues as well, if Keon did and they told him all i's were dotted and all t's were crossed, then he did all he could.  If he did not do the sanity  check before travelling internationally, then he should have; even though yes, the liason(s) should be doing their job
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 07:57:58 AM »
Whether is a dedicated liason(s) from the league or the club itself is irrelevant, these mistakes, believe it or not, happen all the time, with huge businesses, not saying they did not drop the ball, they did, but every foreign assignee/employee has to follow up on these issues as well, if Keon did and they told him all i's were dotted and all t's were crossed, then he did all he could.  If he did not do the sanity  check before travelling internationally, then he should have; even though yes, the liason(s) should be doing their job

You right... when i first start working out of school I was on OPT... all my partners get dey H1B early doors.

About early February or late January, (so 7 months after i start), I find I ent hearing nothing and get antsy and call HR... you know dem did not even know I was a foreign worker on OPT and needed to apply for my H1B?

So anyhow, dey had to do premium rush processing and these was de days when H1B was first come first serve until the quota finish... I get my H1B on Feb 23rd... Quota finish on the 25th... So by de skin of meh teeth!

moral of the story... be responsible for your on sh!t and don't wait on nobody.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 08:01:53 AM »
www.trinidadexpress.com

Keon Daniel still in Trinidad

Ten days after representing Trinidad and Tobago in World Cup qualifiers against Bermuda and Barbados, United States-based Philadelphia Union midfielder Keon Daniel is still in Trinidad.

The player is having visa issues and not allowed re-entry into the USA to rejoin his Major League Soccer (MLS) club. Daniel's agent Andre Fortune said Union's immigration attorney was assisting in the player's visa problem.

Twenty-four-year-old Daniel was signed in March from Puerto Rico Islanders. Contacted yesterday, a TTFF source said: "The club is sorting it out. They do not require the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) to do anything. Their attorneys are handling the matter."

TTFF thxs but no thxs
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »
Imagine that eh FF, kudos to you, hope it all works out for Keon and soon!

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
Yea, FF hit the nail dey, plenty things could go wrong, ultimately its the responsibility of the employee, but the best thing is to be on dem people scenes 24/7 and make a rel good friend who handle that HR stuff...

Poor KD look like a victim of this bureaucracy

1]; } ?>