June 15, 2024, 10:37:18 PM

Author Topic: Commonwealth Games  (Read 15953 times)

Offline Paceman123

• Full Warrior
  • The talent to be a great runner is a gift from Go
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth Games
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:19 AM »
how duncan make that team?
Our top high school runners should not be running 10.59.  I think we have to take a serious look at the timing of athletes at home.  All those fast times translate to disappointingly slow times abroad.  Something wrong with the timing, the coaches, the selectors - the whole system.
[/quote

Marcus had a decent year this year. Yall always quick to talk bad about athletes and dont even know shit. He ran Like 10.25 this yr which was better than the 4 athletes picked to represent us in the 100m and relay. Give the youth some slack injuries have bombarded his collegiate career thank God h got through two runds and we can look for better times next yr ..HE have the talent   

Offline Paceman123

• Full Warrior
  • The talent to be a great runner is a gift from Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »
When i say better i meant for this yr

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »
http://bit.ly/cVwig4

I stand by what I said. Enough is enough. The winning time for the women's 100 tonight would NOT have won the California HIGH SCHOOL girls' state champs this year!  ???

It actually would not have even been close (The winner, Pearson has since been DQ'ed and is protesting, meaning the winning time might even be slower). More mediocrity and boredom to come this week, no doubt.

This whole event, especially in the track and field, is not going to rebound and be a big event in the future.

Face facts.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:18 PM »
Men's 100m final

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/896BkTtCf-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/896BkTtCf-k</a>
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
Better to just see the time and not see the race. That was awful. Women's race was worse. Chalk it up to October I guess. MLF said his blocks slipped and I believe him watching his size and where he had to come from in the race.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:00:14 AM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »
who won a silver medal.What did Cleopatra Borel do?

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
where are the spectators? :rotfl: :rotfl:
Hard work is the key to success

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2010, 07:33:14 AM »
who won a silver medal.What did Cleopatra Borel do?

Actually Cleopatra Borell-Brown just won the silver medal.... :beermug:

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2010, 09:44:45 AM »
Ayanna Alexander won a silver in triple jump yesterday as well  :applause:

AirMan

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
Ayanna Alexander won a silver in triple jump yesterday as well  :applause:

Congrats to her...http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/SILVER_LINING-104621404.html

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2010, 12:01:02 AM »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2010, 08:25:18 AM »
anyone know what happened to TnT in the 4 x 100?
I see a DNF???

1. England
2. Jamaica
3. India- saw them in heats and they didn't look too bad...they raw but in time watch out...
whey boy!

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2010, 08:35:43 AM »
I see a DNF???

1. England
2. Jamaica
3. India- saw them in heats and they didn't look too bad...they raw but in time watch out...

Last I heard was that they were disqualified from running in the Final because they exchanged baton outside the changeover zone.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Relay_men_in__then_out-104749274.html

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »
I see a DNF???

1. England
2. Jamaica

Last I heard was that they were disqualified from running in the Final because they exchanged baton outside the changeover zone.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Relay_men_in__then_out-104749274.html

thanks...
real disappointing though.  Canada also run into some problems...
whey boy!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2010, 10:21:36 AM »
Just saw the 4 x 100m relay final on BBC TV! T&T were re-instated into the final and took part but we fell on the 2nd to 3rd leg baton exchange! We were probably in 3rd position at the time with a good chance of medalling!

Hard luck to the team but accidents do happen!
Maybe we need to work some more on our baton changing!! Ato needs to help these guys!!

India won the bronze! They are having a good day today as host!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:23:56 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2010, 11:03:29 AM »
Just saw India win the 4 x 400m relay gold!!
What a performance by their women!!
Seems that they have finally arrived as a world power in athletics or are we just getting carried away as its only the Commonwealth Games?!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
Seems that they have finally arrived as a world power in athletics or are we just getting carried away as its only the Commonwealth Games?!

I'd say you're right...they have arrived and people will take note.  Yes it's the Commonwealth but with their recent success, India will ensure to be up there, you may not see it in 2012 as much but in 2016 Olympics for sure.  The Commonwealth games have had many a great athlete such as Ian Thorpe and our very own Ato so don't undermine the performances at these games.

India has a long way to go but are definitely on the right track (no pun intended).  To be a world superpower you must excel at all facets of society including sport.  Good for them!
whey boy!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
So the relay gets a chance and still screws it up. DAMN SHAME
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2010, 01:30:18 PM »
To say they have arrived is a BIG statment because you're forgetting that many countries didn't send their A teams not even trinidad did. Had it have been so things would have been a LOT different- top three places in all the races would have been different. Britain may have won the bronze behind Jamaica and Trinidad in the men's relay and India would have been placed lower and the same goes for the womens race(44.19 win- even our girls have run faster- Jamaica and bahamas would definitely not have allowed that and trinidad would be favoured for the bronze). I think that India can look back at this in a positive light and build on this for future years so 2016 I expect more from them but NO they haven't arrived yet.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »
we just getting carried away as its only the Commonwealth Games!

fixed  8)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
To say they have arrived is a BIG statment because you're forgetting that many countries didn't send their A teams not even trinidad did. Had it have been so things would have been a LOT different- top three places in all the races would have been different. Britain may have won the bronze behind Jamaica and Trinidad in the men's relay and India would have been placed lower and the same goes for the womens race(44.19 win- even our girls have run faster- Jamaica and bahamas would definitely not have allowed that and trinidad would be favoured for the bronze). I think that India can look back at this in a positive light and build on this for future years so 2016 I expect more from them but NO they haven't arrived yet.
There is no doubt that India have arrived because a few years ago you would not have given India a chance against any team even if they were missing their top athletes.India got the Gold in case you forgot and as I said our second best would have beaten their best a few years ago.I look forward to some surprises from them in England in 2012.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2010, 02:20:28 PM »
No doubt the things which you say are true but define ARRIVED to me please. They did win gold but in 3.27.77 minutes that would be 7th place in the 4x400m final in the world championships last year. Lets equate that to the Trini women where they finished 7th in the 4x100m. Do we say that our girls have arrived yet... no because we see area for growth and improvement. Lets look at another women's event where they won the gold- the discus throw- they in fact did a clean sweep- 61.51m, 60.16m, 58.46m- the first two would be good enough for 8th and 11th spots when placed against the world champs performance- they have not arrived- still an area for improvement. Lets take an example from the men's side the 4x100m- The winning time- 38.74 isn't even placing in the final 8. I think they are comparable to a full force Trinidadian track and field team who are experiencing rapid improvement over the last few years and hold vast potential, yet they have not arrived- even when you make it to the top of your game you shouldn't have ever 'arrived' as you should always be striving to better yourself and be taking on new challenges. Just my 2 cents lol.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2010, 10:28:49 PM »
India letting China and South Africa show them up. Bobball at it's finest. >:( :devil:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2010, 11:02:30 PM »

that was a great race, I'm glad India won. A great victory for women in general.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
Sorry about this but the Indian women 4x400 squad has been suspended for anabolic steriods. From the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gordonfarquhar/2011/07/indian_athletes_drop_the_baton.html

The sight and sound of the Indian women's 4X400m relay team being roared home to win gold was one of the highlights of the Commonwealth games in Delhi last year.

The nation had been yearning for track and field success, and here was a team of bright talents, role models for women in India, beating the best of the rest of the Commonwealth.

That landmark success has been tarnished with the news that three of the four members of the team have failed drug tests over the last few days. Ashwini Akkunji, Mandeep Kaur and Sini Jose have all tested positive for anabolic steroids, and are suspended pending further investigation.

Apart from the Commonwealth gold medal, what all three have in common is a Ukrainian coach named Yuri Ogrodnik. Well, they had him in common, but he's now been sacked, according to the Indian sports minister, Ajay Maken.

In fact, six members of the women's 400m squad, coached by Ogrodnik have now been suspended after a spate of positive tests for different steroids. The Indian sports ministry is in a spin: Akkunji was the poster girl of Indian athletics, a double gold medallist at the Asian games, and expected to go on to even greater things. There were genuine hopes of a medal at the London Olympics, but that dream now seems shattered.

Minister Maken hasn't pulled any punches in his reaction to the scandal: "The athletes have disgraced the whole nation and it's very disturbing for us," he said.

"Athletes will get their punishment in the form of suspensions, bans and losing their medals... but we can't let the coaches and any official involved in this episode get away scot-free."

At the moment, there's no suggestion Ogrodnik has done anything wrong, and he's reported in India as saying he knew nothing of any drug taking among his athletes. Ajay Maken is unimpressed: "The coach says he didn't know that the athletes were taking banned substances then I think he's all the more responsible for what's happened. The coach is supposed to know what they're taking and tell them what to take."

The tests were apparently carried out either at the national training camp in Patiala, in the Northern state of Punjab, or after a track meeting in the Southern city of Bangalore in late June.

The athletes have all protested their innocence and blamed contaminated food supplements for the results, but the strict liability rule allows no such excuses.

Drug tests are split into two samples, and the second or B samples given by the women will now be tested. They almost never contradict the A samples. There will be a disciplinary process, and a two year ban would be the normal outcome.

India's national anti-doping agency recently revealed that 122 positive tests had been recorded in an 11 month period to April of this year, mostly among wrestlers and weightlifters.

As a result they said they intended to increase the amount of testing, and carry out raids on athlete's rooms where drugs use was suspected. Ajay Maken has called for further action, including better co-ordination with customs agencies to restrict the import of banned performance enhancing drugs, and has instigated a full inquiry into the current problems.

Lord Coe, in the stadium at the time, said that the success of the women's relay team at the Delhi games "may just have changed the direction of track and field... not only in India, but in Asia." The events of the last few days have surely derailed that hope

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:38:11 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>